Food & Drink #5 Sit the feck down, I need to see the fecking bread cart!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I hope you all know that it’s International Left Handers day today 👍👍.
Spread the love.
My mum is still in hospital. I’m going around in circles attempting to get care organised for her 🤪
I work in care, it can be really frustrating sometimes. I hope you get it sorted soon and I’m always happy to help if I can.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Fraus - there is something I’m very interested in. What’s your favourite method of garlic crushing? I got a microplane recently and I will Never use any other tool other again.

I used to have a ‘garlic rocker’ which I was tricked into buying by the world’s greatest saleswoman who was practically orgasming over it in the shop but it doesn’t crush the bloody garlic and it’s impossible to clean! Truly was my most hated kitchen utensil.

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I did one of each feeding wise, bottle for the first, then breast. I was so upset that it didn’t work for the first and a lovely more experienced mum from the bed next door poked her head around the curtain and was so reassuring. I tried again with baby 2 and did it but it never felt particularly natural or anything.

what the other mum said and what I know now is that after about the age of 2 the question of how they were fed really doesn’t come up again, it’s never been mentioned by any health people since or socially.

Both mine are as healthy and bright as each other and for me the only benefit was cheaper to breastfeed!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Fraus - there is something I’m very interested in. What’s your favourite method of garlic crushing? I got a microplane recently and I will Never use any other tool other again.

I used to have a ‘garlic rocker’ which I was tricked into buying by the world’s greatest saleswoman who was practically orgasming over it in the shop but it doesn’t crush the bloody garlic and it’s impossible to clean! Truly was my most hated kitchen utensil.
I like the Joseph Joseph Helix, however.

1597344281940.png

Reactions: 5

Generally I prefer to crush with the flat of a large knife, then dice finely by hand. I do have a garlic press for when I need it to be really fine but I find there's a lot of waste and they're a bugger to clean. I like the look of the Spanish garlic grating plates but haven't tried one yet so don't know how they perform. Pretty though.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I use an Ikea garlic crusher - shove the garlic in, skin and all as suggested by THAT MAN. I rarely use any other method due to laziness on my part. But intrigued by the Spanish grating plates @Nottonightbabe

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Got a recipe for those pittas @Nottonightbabe? They look bloody good.
Yup, I used this one today:

But instead of the 2tsp of yeast, I weighed out 7g. I think the last ones I made were better but couldn't for the life of me remember which recipe I used. These were pretty good though.

Reactions: 9
I just buy the big jars of ready crushed garlic *heathen* Fresh can be very expensive, and not that great here, so it's just easier

Reactions: 11

Ooh lucky escape, I just almost bought one of those!

Reactions: 6
Hi guys 👋🏻 Popping up here because some saddos reported our chippy tea chat on the Mrs Hinch thread.. 🙄

May I suggest garlic purée? Now I never need to wash my garlic crusher whilst cursing Jamie O for claiming the skin comes off when you put it all in at once 😌

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I’m a jarred minced garlic heathen I’m afraid.

i just bleeping hate the stickiness of the papery skin to my hands once the ‘juice’ escapes, the wodge of garlic left in the crusher, the fact that I can never get the smell off my hands (even tried the weird advice like wash your hands with a spoon (or is that onions?).

i might be persuaded if I ever got a microplane but it’s not on my priority list to get (unlike my shark anti hair wrap that I’m ordering tomorrow! Yay!)

Reactions: 15
Hi guys 👋🏻 Popping up here because some saddos reported our chippy tea chat on the Mrs Hinch thread.. 🙄

May I suggest garlic purée? Now I never need to wash my garlic crusher whilst cursing Jamie O for claiming the skin comes off when you put it all in again 😌
I sometimes use the jars of garlic paste, the type you get in the 'world foods' aisle. Used to turn my nose up at it before, until I learnt that it's used often by Indian cooks, especially for curries. The jars of ginger paste too. Not as good as fresh but makes for a decent alternative in certain meals

Reactions: 12
I sometimes use the jars of garlic paste, the type you get in the 'world foods' aisle. Used to turn my nose up at it before, until I learnt that it's used often by Indian cooks, especially for curries. The jars of ginger paste too. Not as good as fresh but makes for a decent alternative in certain meals
Babe same. Who in the world has time to peel ginger?

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I recently tried the jar of ginger when I was making satay sauce - it was genius!! Now I need to find more recipes with it in 😂

Reactions: 8
i always have a jar of minced garlic & ginger. I get fresh garlic too but its quick and easy for curries to use the jar stuff. When i can just crush a clove without dicing it, ill use fresh. Though I will always use may more than suggested!

I squash with a rolling pin, I really hate the taste of the ready stuff *sensitive princess* :LOL:
I made chicken broth ramen type soup with crystal noodles and spiralised carrots and broccoli and enough chilli and rice vinegar to induce regular coughing fits. Love love anything hot and sour.

Heartened to hear all the fraus sharing their experiences and rising above the tit ones to do their own thing <3

Pls more autobiography reccos, I thought the Holly Madison one was quite interesting.

Zadie Smith was back on Adam Buxton's podcast recently, chatting about life/these new essays she's released. Going to get that next I think. I have such a crush on her, she's so interesting and I have so many similar thoughts in common when I hear her interviewed. I think we would be the best of friends haha.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.