Food & Drink #5 Sit the feck down, I need to see the fecking bread cart!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve finally got sick of eating pan con tomate so made a quick and very inauthentic ramen that look literally 10 mins to make - just a chicken stock pot, Bonito seasoning, miso, ginger and spring onions. Then poured over noodles and served with whatever I could find in my fridge which happened to be kimchi, tofu, more spring onions, sesame seeds and Chinese crack (aka crispy chilli oil)

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Do you mind me asking if it was honest/scandalous/fun? I hated how sterile that recent wave of musician movies have been (the beatles one which was absurd, EJ's, the Mercury one, even the George Michael documentary on ch4...), maybe I'm a tabloid reared monster but I wanna read about your rock bottoms not taking your mum to meet the queen ffs!

Actually in terms of celeb biographies Janice Dickinson's was very good, I remember being embarrassed of the cover at uni (she's in a red swimsuit looking gorge bless her) so whenever I was between lectures I'd read it with the cover flat down on the table so no one saw...
I love a bit of scandal - everyone wants to pretend they're all prissy perfect now though *boring* I read the Janice Dickinson one years ago, she's absolutely bonkers, it was great. Keith Richards book was surprisingly dull to say he's led the life he has.

Lunch was leftover fried rice, topped with kimchi. Tea was red pesto chicken pasta. Tomorrow will involve cauliflower, as I have one that really needs using before it goes funky 😝

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Do you mind me asking if it was honest/scandalous/fun?

If you want a REALLY honest auto, I can thoroughly recommend Frank Skinner. It is from 2001/02, but I recall stories that I just cannot believe he told.

Spotted on the main thread that JM is having a pop at Jeremy Clarkson. Thought of an idea for her if she wanted to raise money to get propertied up.

JC : For £1000, which mince contains the most fat? A) Lamb B) Turkey C) Beef or D) Pork?

JM : It is all the same - just depends on how much they add back in.

JC : A, B, C, or D?

JM : I've told you already - the question is wrong. I think I would know, I am a best-selling food writer.

JC : Would you like to ask the audience?

JM : No, they can duck off.

JC : Would you like 50 : 50?

JM : No, and don't bring my cat into this.

JC : Would you like to ask the host?

JM : No, he is an entitled middle-class prick who represents all that is wrong with a patriarchy that continues to oppress women and the working class.

JC : Would you like to phone a friend?

JM : Are you taking the piss?

JC : Would you like to phone your agent then?

JM : SHAN'T.

JC : Who then?

JM : Call, Nigella.

JC : She isn't on the list.

JM : Richard Osman?

JC : No.

JM : Jude?

JC : Come on now.

JM : Who is on my list then?

JC : Your publisher.

...... I'll stop there - sorry for the length. 🙃

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
My lunch was a tomato, 2 flat peaches and some plain Kefir. - Dinner will be BBQed sausages kids & husband love it despite the heat. A non fussy Cobb salad and bought focaccia bread. ETA Far too hot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Fraus. I'd like to request a username change, but not sure how best to word it to actually get the username that I'd like (I understand not to @ admin 😂). Does anyone have any suggestions how I go about this? Or is it always just pot luck?

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I buy sardines for the dog.
We had pitta bread pizzas for dinner - easy, quick and yum - not unlike me 😉🤣🤣🤣

***Potential trigger***
I BF my daughter for two weeks but she was losing weight so I was told to put her on formula, she was also emergency section so for the longest time I felt like a failure - couldn't give birth "normally" or feed my baby... My mum spun this line to me and in my stupid naivety, I believed her and ended up very mentally ill. With my son, he was also section and it was excruciating to bf him, I did a whole 30 hours suffering, struggling and feeling like a failure and then told the staff I was putting him on a bottle - luckily I was free of my mum and had better support that time around so I coped better. I'm firm in my belief that what's best for mum is what's best for baby but unfortunately there's still the big belief that breast is best - surely as long as the baby is thriving that's all that matters?!

Hope it's cooling down for you all - it's bloody boiling again here *insert Martin from Friday Night Dinner gif here*

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 14

***Potential trigger***
I BF my daughter for two weeks but she was losing weight so I was told to put her on formula, she was also emergency section so for the longest time I felt like a failure - couldn't give birth "normally" or feed my baby... My mum spun this line to me and in my stupid naivety, I believed her and ended up very mentally ill. With my son, he was also section and it was excruciating to bf him, I did a whole 30 hours suffering, struggling and feeling like a failure and then told the staff I was putting him on a bottle - luckily I was free of my mum and had better support that time around so I coped better. I'm firm in my belief that what's best for mum is what's best for baby but unfortunately there's still the big belief that breast is best - surely as long as the baby is thriving that's all that matters?!

Hope it's cooling down for you all - it's bloody boiling again here *insert Martin from Friday Night Dinner gif here*

I like to clarify that tagline to people - breast milk is scientifically best for baby. Formula is a fantastic alternative. Breastfeeding may not work for mum, so they pump or formula feed. Women will always be scrutinised, worse by each other at times! I really do think each woman should do what is right for them/their circumstances. Theres enough pressure put on us as it is!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
BF - 2 horror stories here, one undiagnosed tongue tie, one duct blocked by an unnoticed Stage 3 tumour... beat myself up for years over first one, still in shock (10 years later) over second. HOWEVER, both kids are absolutely beautiful thriving monsters now. As everyone else has said, as long as they’re taking in nutrition in whatever format, that’s the only thing that matters. The only person who suffers with long term damage over BF issues, is the mother, dementedly trying to do her best, as ever. Your baby won’t give 2 HOOTS.

Just as long as no one looks to a certain set of slop recipe books when considering weaning, the nation’s youth will be safe!

@Readingismyhobby, big hugs. I have been in your situation with both of my parents at different times, and it’s an absolute nightmare— I can only imagine what it’s like at this particular time. No words of wisdom other than to offer hugs and comment on the disgrace that is elderly health and social care in this country. Much like mental health services they’ve been run into the ground. Given what the NHS and local authorities have to work with, its no wonder, but that doesn’t make it any easier to navigate —especially when you’re mid-crisis x

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I'm firm in my belief that what's best for mum is what's best for baby but unfortunately there's still the big belief that breast is best - surely as long as the baby is thriving that's all that matters?!
Exactly, I am fed up to my teeth with all this judgmental "breast is best"crap and pressure put on new mothers. If my midwife had not been so nice I would have bottle fed both and I would not have cared at all as long as the babies thrived.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Fraus. I'd like to request a username change, but not sure how best to word it to actually get the username that I'd like (I understand not to @ admin 😂). Does anyone have any suggestions how I go about this? Or is it always just pot luck?
Ooh, living dangerously! I think they only do them for people who have given themselves a username that could potentially identify them in real life now.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
@NoseyParkour - not my baking area of expertise. I like butter, but these look nice:

I think you said you had all those things, and it looks nice. Kinda want you to make it to see if it works as well as claimed.
I saw this after my maverick weird little brain threw a cinnamon cake concoction together. My eldest said it took a while to chew and could probably do with some icing. My husband said it tasted like shite.

I will make the water cake and pray for better results.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Do you mind me asking if it was honest/scandalous/fun? I hated how sterile that recent wave of musician movies have been (the beatles one which was absurd, EJ's, the Mercury one, even the George Michael documentary on ch4...), maybe I'm a tabloid reared monster but I wanna read about your rock bottoms not taking your mum to meet the queen ffs!

Actually in terms of celeb biographies Janice Dickinson's was very good, I remember being embarrassed of the cover at uni (she's in a red swimsuit looking gorge bless her) so whenever I was between lectures I'd read it with the cover flat down on the table so no one saw...
I really liked Janice’s autobiography too. Can’t look at Liam Neeson in the same way now.
2958F886-FBC5-46B0-976C-24D68CD3DFBE.jpeg

• Wow
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I hope you are feeling better, I can't believe they don't let you keep water bottles handy, what's their reasoning? Surely it's a H&S issue in itself. I wonder what the rules are. I would be checking with the union, if you are a member or not tbh. But, the alarm reminder is a good idea. Sorry, thinking in type there. Take care of yourself.
I actually don’t know, on our old ward it wasn’t a problem as we had a cupboard next to the desk and kept them in there, could easily take a swig. We don’t have that now we’ve moved into the tower block and I can’t always dash off to the staff room for a quick drink (also where our water fountain is located). Tis bizarre though as in A&E where I find myself sometimes, they have all their bottles out in full view no issues, so it can’t be a trust wide

Ive argued it before but can’t be arsed these days in all honesty. I took to hiding my bottle in my drug trolley, ridiculous I need to hide it but it is at least easily available there.
I hope you all know that it’s International Left Handers day today 👍👍.
Spread the love.
My mum is still in hospital. I’m going around in circles attempting to get care organised for her 🤪
I hope you get it sorted soon; it’s such a pain in the arse sorting care.
Does the ward she’s on have a care/discharge coordinator? They usually have a bit more sway getting things organised in a timely fashion. Absolutely worth their weight in gold if it’s something your hospital provides.

Ive been enjoying reading all your stories re: BF. I will be unable to breastfeed due to my medication, I’m already beating myself up about it and preparing to tell any midwife who tries to shame me to duck off. So it’s refreshing to see everyone here so kind about it, and non judgemental ❤ Lovely cabal that you are

• Heart
Reactions: 14

It was very honest but written with a lot of humour so easy to digest. Lots of name dropping of other celebs though but done in a way that wasn’t boring.
I love an autobiography though as I’m a nosy witch 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
I actually don’t know, on our old ward it wasn’t a problem as we had a cupboard next to the desk and kept them in there, could easily take a swig. We don’t have that now we’ve moved into the tower block and I can’t always dash off to the staff room for a quick drink (also where our water fountain is located). Tis bizarre though as in A&E where I find myself sometimes, they have all their bottles out in full view no issues, so it can’t be a trust wide

Ive argued it before but can’t be arsed these days in all honesty. I took to hiding my bottle in my drug trolley, ridiculous I need to hide it but it is at least easily available there.

I hope you get it sorted soon; it’s such a pain in the arse sorting care.
Does the ward she’s on have a care/discharge coordinator? They usually have a bit more sway getting things organised in a timely fashion. Absolutely worth their weight in gold if it’s something your hospital provides.

Ive been enjoying reading all your stories re: BF. I will be unable to breastfeed due to my medication, I’m already beating myself up about it and preparing to tell any midwife who tries to shame me to duck off. So it’s refreshing to see everyone here so kind about it, and non judgemental ❤ Lovely cabal that you are

Please don’t beat yourself up about it. I tried to breast feed. I really wanted to do it. I lasted 5 days. I spent those 5 days, the first 5 days of my daughters life, lying half naked and sobbing for hours as I tried to find a position in which breast feeding would work. I had midwives and then the health visitor all telling me not to give up. I didn’t sleep, I could barely eat. I was a zombie. After 5 days I gave into my guilt, feeling like a tit mum, embarrassed and ashamed that I couldn’t feed my baby naturally and sent my husband to buy formula and bottles (expressing wouldn’t work either) I remember “admitting” to the health visitor the next day my dirty little secret and she said I should have given up days ago and that formula feeding was fine - the complete opposite of what she and her colleagues had been saying before. She then told me that they were not allowed to recommend formula feeding!
I’m still slightly resentful of my experience because it truly traumatised me and I missed out on being present and enjoying those first 5 days of being a new mum. It also set me up with the sense of not being allowed to trust my instincts as a parent and that really took a long time to get over

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Please don’t beat yourself up about it. I tried to breast feed. I really wanted to do it. I lasted 5 days. I spent those 5 days, the first 5 days of my daughters life, lying half naked and sobbing for hours as I tried to find a position in which breast feeding would work. I had midwives and then the health visitor all telling me not to give up. I didn’t sleep, I could barely eat. I was a zombie. After 5 days I gave into my guilt, feeling like a tit mum, embarrassed and ashamed that I couldn’t feed my baby naturally and sent my husband to buy formula and bottles (expressing wouldn’t work either) I remember “admitting” to the health visitor the next day my dirty little secret and she said I should have given up days ago and that formula feeding was fine - the complete opposite of what she and her colleagues had been saying before. She then told me that they were not allowed to recommend formula feeding!
I’m still slightly resentful of my experience because it truly traumatised me and I missed out on being present and enjoying those first 5 days of being a new mum. It also set me up with the sense of not being allowed to trust my instincts as a parent and that really took a long time to get over
I could’ve written this myself. Pretty identical experience here. A few of my friends had babies at the same time and made bf look so easy and it’s something that even now (my son is 5) I feel guilty for.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Pitta bread pizzas are one of my comfort foods. Yours are very fancy though, I am impressed. The rules for mine, to make the perfect comfort version are as follows:

Sauce must be equal quantities of tomato ketchup and tomato puree mixed together.
This must be applied not too liberally to the pitta bread.
Oregano must be sprinkled over the sauce.
Cheese must be cheddar and must be mature but preferably extra mature
Cheese must be liberally applied
They must be oven baked until edges are just crunchy
The only additional topping that is acceptable is a few capers (FANCY) sprinkled on before cheese is applied.

I mean, everyone else is entitled to live their lives and eat their pitta bread pizzas as desired, but these are the correct conditions for me.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Evening Fraus. Been slowly catching up as I’ve worked today. Found the BF chat really refreshing.

I was extremely lucky that my son took to BF immediately and that there was lots of support on hand locally. The attitude of the women (who had common sense in abundance) running these groups was to focus on what worked for each mum and baby individually, whether this was helping with finding positions etc that worked for mum and baby, help with expressing/combination feeding or help resolving painful nipples/BF injuries or helping identify other feeding issues etc. There really wasn’t much they didn’t know. I really realise how privileged I was to have that experience having read the experiences shared here and just so sorry to everyone who had a tit time and was made to feel tit.

The mandatory breastfeeding session at the hospital was the exact opposite ironically - very militant with no practical support and quite off putting to the point I put formula in my hospital bag to ensure I could feed my baby for fear I wouldn’t be able to. I’ll take some with me this time round as I know this baby may not take it to it/my milk could take longer to come in etc - but the gift of experience this time round is that I feel more confident to stand my ground on things (not just feeding) that I didn’t as a new mum.

It does frustrate me how much judgement there is on women for feeding their babies and it is yet another stick used to beat us with. We are so lucky to live in a country where formula is a fantastic safe alternative. Also some women just don’t like breast feeding so why should they put themselves through it? Happy mum really is happy baby as cliched as that sounds.

Weather news - we had torrential downpours at lunch time and thunder. Still a bit warm but not as humid as yesterday or overnight thankfully.

Lunch was a bit of vegan pizza my other half picked up reduced - can’t remember the brand of it now, White Rabbit? It was ok - one of those had worse, had better. Dinner is satay chicken - a kit picked up by the aforementioned other half - a Charlie Bigham one as he felt FANCY. Do any of my enlightened Fraus have any good satay recipes?

• Heart
Evening Fraus. Been slowly catching up as I’ve worked today. Found the BF chat really refreshing.

I was extremely lucky that my son took to BF immediately and that there was lots of support on hand locally. The attitude of the women (who had common sense in abundance) running these groups was to focus on what worked for each mum and baby individually, whether this was helping with finding positions etc that worked for mum and baby, help with expressing/combination feeding or help resolving painful nipples/BF injuries or helping identify other feeding issues etc. There really wasn’t much they didn’t know. I really realise how privileged I was to have that experience having read the experiences shared here and just so sorry to everyone who had a tit time and was made to feel tit.

The mandatory breastfeeding session at the hospital was the exact opposite ironically - very militant with no practical support and quite off putting to the point I put formula in my hospital bag to ensure I could feed my baby for fear I wouldn’t be able to. I’ll take some with me this time round as I know this baby may not take it to it/my milk could take longer to come in etc - but the gift of experience this time round is that I feel more confident to stand my ground on things (not just feeding) that I didn’t as a new mum.

It does frustrate me how much judgement there is on women for feeding their babies and it is yet another stick used to beat us with. We are so lucky to live in a country where formula is a fantastic safe alternative. Also some women just don’t like breast feeding so why should they put themselves through it? Happy mum really is happy baby as cliched as that sounds.

Weather news - we had torrential downpours at lunch time and thunder. Still a bit warm but not as humid as yesterday or overnight thankfully.

Lunch was a bit of vegan pizza my other half picked up reduced - can’t remember the brand of it now, White Rabbit? It was ok - one of those had worse, had better. Dinner is satay chicken - a kit picked up by the aforementioned other half - a Charlie Bigham one as he felt FANCY. Do any of my enlightened Fraus have any good satay recipes?
Literally just in the midst of making satay chicken. Looked at a lot of different recipes and then cobbled my own version together. Marinated chicken strips in ginger, garlic, lemon juice, fish sauce, soy sauce and some spices, they've been skewered and now under the grill. Sauce was made from crunchy peanut butter, soy sauce, tamarind water, coconut milk, brown sugar and a little lemon juice. Warmed through on the hob until all mixed. Oh and a spoon of curry powder.

Fingers crossed it tastes alright now!
Made these pitta breads to go with the chicken, along with some roasted veggies ☺
IMG_20200813_184737.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.