Food & Drink #5 Sit the feck down, I need to see the fecking bread cart!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sending you my love @Flumps and I love the Cousin Helen quote. The What Katy Did books are some of my childhood favourites.
I was an avid reader as a child but I don't think I ever read these đŸ€”
Would you recommend them for reading as an adult? I'm often looking for nice, light easy reading for a distraction when I feel crappy.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Would you recommend them for reading as an adult? I'm often looking for nice, light easy reading for a distraction when I feel crappy.
i totally would! I still read them now. The order is What Katy Did (not my favourite tbh), What Katy Did at School (the best), What Katy Did Next (my second favourite), Clover (good) and then there is a book that is the same family (i think) but diffĂ©rent called In the High Valley which isn’t great!

i love that they are so old but still relatable and they are warm and fuzzy and Rose is so funny.

• Heart
I've been trying to explain to my boyfriend what defines kitsch since we first met 7 years ago and he STILL doesn't get it! Always pointing at random things and asking me 'is that kitsch?'. No, babe.

Also breakfast: just black coffee for me. My daughter and her friend woke up at 9am (after staying up half the night high on marshmallows) and I made them each a stack of pancakes - I just want to be remembered as the mum who made pancakes for breakfast at sleepovers!
Can confirm I have vivid memories of my friend’s mum making us chocolate and strawberry pancakes for breakfast at a sleepover some 25 years ago. I was so impressed.

• Heart
I had a rubbish first time breastfeeding. My first was born very early and poorly. A day after he was born some sort of breastfeeding expert was sent to my bed to help me express for him as he was in neonatal. She scolded me to stand up. Like a teacher telling me off. I got up and immediately went faint. Then she realised I’d had a c-section and said, “Why didn’t you say?” :rolleyes: So I expressed sitting up the bed in the end and continued to express every 4 hours even once I came home. When he was two weeks old I mentioned that I wanted to breastfeed (he was tube fed with my breastmilk at the time) so they put him to me and he was struggling to latch. The matron came over and made a comment about my nipples then literally grabbed my boob and moved his head. It made me feel like a failure. She did it again the next time I tried feeding him too. I was happy for advice but I felt like they were just taking over without actually explaining anything to me so I never quite knew what I was meant to do. I felt a huge pressure to keep trying and in the end I burst into tears and told them I wanted to bottle feed instead. So that’s what I did after 6 weeks of trying and failing to breastfeed.

I bottle fed my second and probably will with this baby. Part of me thinks maybe I should give it a go as it’s my last baby and I’ll never have the chance to try again but then I just think about the first time and how I probably won’t be able to do it.
Just catching up. I’ve had 3 and had completely different experiences with feeding each one. Some truly awful times, some lovely and easy. Have a try if you’d like to, but don’t feel pressurised either way - fed is best! I think with all aspects of having a baby, you need a certain amount of medical intervention and support, but sometimes a sharp manner from a midwife, or a crappy experience with a health visitor are really enough to put you in a horrible place. I had a lovely phone call with a lady from la leche league when I was sobbing with mastitis and feeling out of my depth with my first. The difference between her soothing and logical talk, and the barking hag at the hospital, was incredible. My second baby was really difficult because he had a late diagnosed tongue tie. My third baby, probably obviously, was easy. Barely even thought about it. The key is to ask someone kind and knowledgeable for help, if you need it.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Yes. Yes. Yes. They are, as @Fenella says, so warm and lovely that they are balm for souls of any age.
Also agree that 'What Katy Did' is probably not as good as the next two (though 'What Katy Did Next' is my favourite), but read them in order I think.

If you read 'Little Women' or 'Anne of Green Gables' (my other childhood loves, especially Anne, another vetoed (middle) name for my daughter was Cordelia) and liked those, then I think you'll like these too.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
This chronic pain thing is all new to me, so I'm still learning what sets it off, but heat appears to be definitely a *thing*. Though it's partly on me, I am reading about all sorts of things I should do to help alleviate it, but they either seem dull or miserable and I am not jumping on them like I should.

Yes! Lovely Cousin Helen. My daughter was very nearly a Katy because I love that book so much.
My experience of pain is different - I have endometriosis so outside of pregnancy can experience flare ups/periods of chronic pain but it isn’t constant for me. Some years ago I was under a pain management clinic and within a group session with other people (who had different conditions) it became clear that there isn’t a one size fits all approach to what will work best - which can feel pretty overwhelming. So please don’t beat yourself up if you just don’t have the energy at the moment to try any of the suggestions you’re reading about - pain is exhausting let alone when aggravated by relentless heat like we’ve had. ❀

• Heart
  • Sad
I loooooooooove Anne of Green Gables!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wanted to call both my sons Gilbert - was vetoed each time.
I was OBSESSED with the TV version of it, starring Megan Follows. The guy who played Gilbert died tragically young IRL.

ETA when Matthew died in the programme it BROKE MY LIL HEART.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Me too. I love that series SO much. I was in love with Gilbert and I wanted to be Anne! I always identified with characters who weren’t with their biological parents / adopted and this was my absolute favourite.

I rewatch it every couple of years. Have read most of the books - skipped the last ones as they weren’t about Anne.

I know - I was so sad when I heard he’d died.

Ah - Matthew - mine too! Into a thousand pieces. ‘Always so proud ... of my little girl’ 😭😭😭

Have you seen Anne with an E on Netflix? I enjoyed it but still have a deep love for the Megan Follows series ❀
I haven't seen the new series, no - just don't see how anything could be an improvement on the original and best, so don't see the point!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Yesssss!! I want one 😂
Love your shelves as well.
My grandma lives in Canada and is famous for sending over huge boxes of random crap for all special occasions...think 20 year old bags of sweets, presents we've given her from years before, usually some kind of elderly woman's hat or scarf. But sometimes, SOMETIMES, there is a gem - this mug was one of them!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
The chat of Gilberts and Katys made me think about names from books. My daughter’s middle name was vetoed as a first name by boring husband, but I was definitely getting it in. For fear of đŸ”ș I won’t say what it is. Wondering how many Fraus’ children’s names were influenced by film/tv/books? Just to be relevant are any named after a favourite food 😂😳

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Did any of my fellow fraus read Milly Molly Mandy? I wanted to call my child Milly but ex said no. I loved those as a child, along with Anne of Green Gables. Basically if a book had a map in it, i’m in!

ETA - duck me! Just googled them and they were first published in 1928! So when I read them they were already 60-70yrs old!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
The chat of Gilberts and Katys made me think about names from books. My daughter’s middle name was vetoed as a first name by boring husband, but I was definitely getting it in. For fear of đŸ”ș I won’t say what it is. Wondering how many Fraus’ children’s names were influenced by film/tv/books? Just to be relevant are any named after a favourite food 😂😳
All 3 of my girls have quite unusual first and middle names, influenced by books I have read, not necessarily by the character or even a book I loved but a name I loved. Two were books I loved when I was a child, and one I first read in my twenties. I wish I could share the names but it would be the ultimate đŸ”ș

Is it true that there is a new ham flavour Scottish crisp? I've been keeping an eye out for it, apparently there are stars on the packet? Maybe I'll be able to find some when I go to watch the football on Saturday.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
My stepson is called after a character in the Wizards of Earthsea books, only his dad didn't realise the pronuciation was slightly different to what they use.

My mother and one of her brothers are book character names too (Wuthering Heights and Great Expectations) because apparently the only time my grandma ever picked up a book was during pregnancy.

Did any of my fellow fraus read Milly Molly Mandy? I wanted to call my child Milly but ex said no. I loved those as a child, along with Anne of Green Gables. Basically if a book had a map in it, i’m in!

ETA - duck me! Just googled them and they were first published in 1928! So when I read them they were already 60-70yrs old!
Yes. I read them as a kid, and then bought a set for my daughter when she first started reading. Such lovely little stories.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.