Food & Drink #5 Sit the feck down, I need to see the fecking bread cart!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
All 3 of my girls have quite unusual first and middle names, influenced by books I have read, not necessarily by the character or even a book I loved but a name I loved. Two were books I loved when I was a child, and one I first read in my twenties. I wish I could share the names but it would be the ultimate 🔺

Is it true that there is a new ham flavour Scottish crisp? I've been keeping an eye out for it, apparently there are stars on the packet? Maybe I'll be able to find some when I go to watch the football on Saturday.
There are a couple of crisps i’m not really enjoying at the moment. Ringing bell(end) left right and centre. 🔔🔚

My child doesn’t use their first name, it’s so weird, I thought that only happened in films and books.

Reactions: 17
I vaguely remember reading the Katy books, but don’t remember any detail. My favourite series was the Millie mollie many books, did anyone else read them? I think my grandma must have got me them as I don’t think they’re someth8ng my feminist mum would have necessarily 😂 I loved the description of food in them, of course it’s all food I doubt I’d eat (bread and dripping, sugar on bread etc) but I loved them nonetheless

Reactions: 9
The chat of Gilberts and Katys made me think about names from books. My daughter’s middle name was vetoed as a first name by boring husband, but I was definitely getting it in. For fear of 🔺 I won’t say what it is. Wondering how many Fraus’ children’s names were influenced by film/tv/books? Just to be relevant are any named after a favourite food 😂😳
All my book related names were vetoed at the time.

I didn't end up with a lot of say in my daughter's name, though I got a middle name in there, and even to this day it makes me a bit sad. She goes by a shortening of her given name now, which I much prefer, but it's not the name I would have chosen given entirely free will and all that

I'm named after a book. That makes my name sound a lot more exciting than it is, it's a very common name, but that's why my mum chose it.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
Did any of my fellow fraus read Milly Molly Mandy? I wanted to call my child Milly but ex said no. I loved those as a child, along with Anne of Green Gables. Basically if a book had a map in it, i’m in!

ETA - duck me! Just googled them and they were first published in 1928! So when I read them they were already 60-70yrs old!
Posted before I saw this! Yeh I remember reading them in the early 90s and it seemed like a different world to me. Loved them though 😍

Reactions: 7
The chat of Gilberts and Katys made me think about names from books. My daughter’s middle name was vetoed as a first name by boring husband, but I was definitely getting it in. For fear of 🔺 I won’t say what it is. Wondering how many Fraus’ children’s names were influenced by film/tv/books? Just to be relevant are any named after a favourite food 😂😳
My first son has James Dean's middle name ☺. My youngest is named after a famous racing driver.

All 3 of my girls have quite unusual first and middle names, influenced by books I have read, not necessarily by the character or even a book I loved but a name I loved. Two were books I loved when I was a child, and one I first read in my twenties. I wish I could share the names but it would be the ultimate 🔺

Is it true that there is a new ham flavour Scottish crisp? I've been keeping an eye out for it, apparently there are stars on the packet? Maybe I'll be able to find some when I go to watch the football on Saturday.
Yes, haggis/ham hybrids seem to appear from time to time don't they? 🤔

• Wow
Reactions: 20
There are a couple of crisps i’m not really enjoying at the moment. Ringing bell(end) left right and centre. 🔔🔚

My child doesn’t use their first name, it’s so weird, I thought that only happened in films and books.
My brother only goes by his middle name. Dumb family tradition where every first boy is called X, but every second one goes by whatever middle name they've been given.

Reactions: 10
I loved Milly Molly Mandy too! I came to Anne of Green Gables late, but I did really enjoy it, although never read What Katy Did. There's also this pretty old children's book (for older kids, because there was the hint of a sex scene in it) I loved that I can't remember for the life of me - essentially a memoir of a girl's idyllic childhood in a rural English (perhaps the midlands?) village in the 1910s I think, and then she moves to London to take a job as a maid. If any fraus know what I'm talking about please help me!!

My mum essentially got me to read all the books she loved as a kid, and were usually quite adult themed - so things like Noel Streatfeild's Gemma series, When Marnie Was There (about a lonely orphan who makes a ghost friend - Studio Ghibli made it into a lovely anime a few years ago), Marianne Dreams (about a bed-bound sick girl who enters her dreams and they become extremely creepy) etc etc

No triangles but I am named after a famous female author, and my mum was named after a character in literature.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I loved Milly Molly Mandy too! I came to Anne of Green Gables late, but I did really enjoy it, although never read What Katy Did. There's also this pretty old children's book (for older kids, because there was the hint of a sex scene in it) I loved that I can't remember for the life of me - essentially a memoir of a girl's idyllic childhood in a rural English (perhaps the midlands?) village in the 1910s I think, and then she moves to London to take a job as a maid. If any fraus know what I'm talking about please help me!!

My mum essentially got me to read all the books she loved as a kid, and were usually quite adult themed - so things like Noel Streatfeild's Gemma series, When Marnie Was There (about a lonely orphan who makes a ghost friend - Studio Ghibli made it into a lovely anime a few years ago), Marianne Dreams (about a bed-bound sick girl who enters her dreams and they become extremely creepy) etc etc

No triangles but I am named after a famous female author, and my mum was named after a character in literature.
When Marnie was there is a beautiful film. Sobbed and sobbed!

I'm named after a poem, does that count?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
My mum made me a pink and white striped dress so I could be Milly Molly Mandy!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I read an old war time love letter from a soldier to his girlfriend, and I fell in love her name. I had it picked out as my girls name since I was 15.. I went on to have 2 boys and the girls name went stupidly popular and became a tad chavvy 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
I read an old war time love letter from a soldier to his girlfriend, and I fell in love her name. I had it picked out as my girls name since I was 15.. I went on to have 2 boys and the girls name went stupidly popular and became a tad chavvy 🤦🏻‍♀️
You can spill now.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I'm partly named after a 1970s folk singer... love my hippie Mum!

I love Elsie! That's a gorgeous name. I have 3 different friends who have all called their babies Theo in the space of a year mind!

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.