Food & Drink #5 Sit the feck down, I need to see the fecking bread cart!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wise knowledgeable or vegan fraus. I’m in the baking mood but I have no butter or eggs. Can I make something with oil? I have tons of flour, sugar and things like baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc etc. I just want something cakey but can’t be bothered to go out.

Reactions: 4
Wise knowledgeable or vegan fraus. I’m in the baking mood but I have no butter or eggs. Can I make something with oil? I have tons of flour, sugar and things like baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc etc. I just want something cakey but can’t be bothered to go out.
Is very nice and easy. Frosting optional, but extra delicious

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I was making chocolate banana loaf cake with rapeseed oil during lockdown when I ran out of butter. It worked out great.

Is very nice and easy. Frosting optional, but extra delicious
Oh that looks yum. I don’t have vinegar... well, rice vinegar but I’m not sure that would work 😬

Reactions: 3
I was making chocolate banana loaf cake with rapeseed oil during lockdown when I ran out of butter. It worked out great.
I used the recipe in the Simply Recipes site. There are a lot of chocolate cake recipes in there too. I find that a lot of American cake recipes do use oil.

Reactions: 6
I find using rapeseed oil in cakes tends to make them more moist, and less bad for my digestion. Cakes high in butter give me heartburn these days :cry:

I don't have any specific recipes but tend to google chocolate cake with oil no eggs or similar, usually something comes up as a quick recipe 😊

Thank you for all the book recommendations, they all seem right up my alley. Some I've read/listened to, but I might go back to, particularly the Elly Griffiths series, I did enjoy that, but lots there to get my teeth into. Going to seek out the 'Everybody Lies' book stat @Harrybosch, that sounds right up my street. ❤

@NoseyParkour - not my baking area of expertise. I like butter, but these look nice:

I feel like this would work if you have a can of condensed milk lurking around. Condensed milk makes things nice:

I wouldn't worry about it being rice vinegar, it's there to activate the raising agents, not to add flavour as such, so it will do the job.

Oh wait! I found this one by googling store-cupboard vegan cake

I think you said you had all those things, and it looks nice. Kinda want you to make it to see if it works as well as claimed.

Reactions: 12
Lots of muffins use oil instead of butter, so they tend to work well. This recipe is nice (I think) https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/vegan-banana-cupcakes I've made it before, but amended the fruit and seed mix to just walnuts and raisins with cinnamon. Really nice. Would probably also be nice with chocolate chips.

Oh, it's just about austerity and the tories. Basic lefty stuff so it's not a stretch to say 'I agree that austerity hurts the poorest hardest'. Still...can't muster up much energy to tear her to shreds just now. Staying off the mother thread...

Don't triangulate me but apparently pools are a thing once you start hitting proper suburban London! 👀

MEIN LONDON FRAUS. I JUST HEARD THUNDER. LAY IT ON ME.

It rained here this morning but is still about a billion degrees 😢

• Sad
Reactions: 8
That gif is me.

Ahhhh, the difficult breastfeeding stories make me so bleeping sad 😭 I am 100% behind women to decide how they want to feed their babies but I wish there was better support for people struggling with breastfeeding.

@Flumps have you read the Strike books by Robert Galbraith? Lovely easy going crime books set in the UK.
There definitely isn't enough support for bfeeding, and advice out there is often inaccurate, out dated or contradictory. I was lucky and managed to bf my 3, but it wasn't without tears, pain and lots of gritting teeth in the early weeks. That whole spill you get given that "if it hurts you aren't doing it right" is bs. With each of mine there was the inevitable pain and soreness in the first month and it had bugger all to do with positioning, your nipples just aren't used to it!

My last bub I ended up feeding for 22 months, intended to wean around the 12 month mark but he had other ideas and was a bottle refuser! 🤷

Think the heat and kids activities this week have taken their toll on me, am in a right flat old mood today and can't seem to find interest in anything, or any motivation 😕
What's everyone's lunch/dinner plans today? I've just marinated some chicken to make satay later, and am going to make some pitta breads if I get my arse in gear!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I hope you all know that it’s International Left Handers day today 👍👍.
Spread the love.
My mum is still in hospital. I’m going around in circles attempting to get care organised for her 🤪

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Spread the love.
My mum is still in hospital. I’m going around in circles attempting to get care organised for her 🤪
sorry to hear that, hope you get it sorted

have been on a major Grunka back to DKL 😂😂 I have laughed so much, but I feel I am either in wonderland or narnia, it is totally surreal. If somebody told me about mackie I would not believe they were an actual person. I still cannot get my head around how she gets away with it.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Rain about 3am here. I lay and listened to it for ages with my big bedroom window open. It was quite lovely.

Do any of you fraus have any book recommendations for me? I have some Audible credits burning a hole in my pocket. I like crime fiction, but the neatly crafted stuff for preference, generally seems that I like it more if written by a woman, or anything non-fiction that's funny or interesting. I burnt though the Adam Buxton book (natch) and Louis Theroux's memoir recently. Oh and Sex, Power, Money by Sara Pascoe, so things like that would be amazing.
i enjoyed Elton John’s autobiography, I read that pretty quickly and it’s a sizeable book.

Spread the love.
Me and my fella are both lefties, I’ll celebrate with cake later 👍🏻🥳

lots of love, hope you get things organised for your mum smoothly ❤

What's everyone's lunch/dinner plans today? I've just marinated some chicken to make satay later, and am going to make some pitta breads if I get my arse in gear!
I got a half price garlic pizza flatbread type thingie yesterday, it actually looks like it will be really nice, going to cover it with aubergines done in the oven (the way I did them the other day for that M&S wild rice salad recipe which I never got round to doing an update about, because basically just the aubergines mixed with the rice and lentils was so tasty I ended up not adding anything to it, not even a dressing, and eating it all from a bowl over the course of a couple of days. It's really embarrassing because I do love aubergine but the one time I tried to make them in oil it was a disaster, but the way described for that recipe makes them so good, I'm going to be having them like that on top of everything from now on. Wow I've digressed quite wildly here) .... also on the flatbread, some rocket salad, baby toms, my roasted red pepper and cubes of salad cheese, and a nice balsamic dressing.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Sardines, what is everybody doing with sardines? Reports are sales up by 500% 😲
I've just bought some for the first time so I'm loving the 15 things to do with sardines posted thanks so much!
I don't really know why I bought them, I did a tin can shop and they were in a list of 'what to have in your store cupboard'.

As for the UK having one of the worst health and economic crises' I truly despair. Both my siblings have fucked off to Australia and I don't blame them. However I'd emigrate somewhere colder personally. It's meant to be cooler today but it doesn't feel it. And I'm having to wear an underwired bra for the first time since March today. Absolute bullshit.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Re sardines - I didn’t look at the attached link, but I’ve been wanting to make sardine pate for a while. Both Mary Berry and Nigella have a version. I love smoked mackerel pate and haddock pate so I think I’d like a sardine version.

Reactions: 5
i enjoyed Elton John’s autobiography, I read that pretty quickly and it’s a sizeable book.
Do you mind me asking if it was honest/scandalous/fun? I hated how sterile that recent wave of musician movies have been (the beatles one which was absurd, EJ's, the Mercury one, even the George Michael documentary on ch4...), maybe I'm a tabloid reared monster but I wanna read about your rock bottoms not taking your mum to meet the queen ffs!

Actually in terms of celeb biographies Janice Dickinson's was very good, I remember being embarrassed of the cover at uni (she's in a red swimsuit looking gorge bless her) so whenever I was between lectures I'd read it with the cover flat down on the table so no one saw...

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Catching up on this morning's posts after spending the day with a client. They're a FE college who have had their students absolutely screwed over with this ridiculous marking algorithm the Dept of Education has brought in. The college is in a deprived area, and as the algorithm is essentially based on your postcode, so many bright kids have been downgraded because they happen to live in a rough area. Absolutely heartbreaking seeing so many of the students burst into tears opening their results 😞

I'm so sorry if I upset anyone with my bf post, absolutely not my intention at all. We had a rough start, horrible traumatic birth (ventouse, episiotomy without proper local anaesthetic...grim and part of the reason I ended up with severe PND/postnatal psychosis) and he wouldn't feed properly so we had to stay in hospital for nearly a week. The ward was so understaffed that there was no-one to support us, and the one breastfeeding consultant was on leave. I felt like such a failure and lived on 30 mins sleep a night between pumping and feeding for six weeks, until I had a total breakdown and tried to run away.

My partner stepped up and took on more feeds using expressed milk, so that I could at least get an hour or so of sleep at a time. My boy is still a terrible sleeper and a fusspot generally, must get it from me! I don't know why I was so obsessed with having to breastfeed, ridiculous looking back. Part of it was being obsessed with losing weight and believing breastfeeding would help. Sad.

As long as baby is fed, that's all that matters. As women we've been conditioned to compete with each other over everything, even something as simple as feeding our babies, and I honestly believe it's because we like under this patriarchal bullshit where feeding a child is relegated to a 'women's issue', and women are expected to sacrifice everything, suffer in silence and just get on with it - so God forbid we should have a proper discussion about what's best for everyone's wellbeing and mental health.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Omg the pads is definitely not something they adequately warn you about is it!! I packed night time body form and some paper disposable knickers with the constitution of rizla from JoJo Maman Bébé 😂🥴 That first loo trip was such a shocker when I saw it I nearly fainted and had to pull the alarm cord for help as I had naively thought I’d be able to collect that toilet trip as a urine sample and soon realised I was really out of my depth / in need of a crime scene clean up tbh, in that moment I truly became Ed.
I agree they definitely do not warn you about the pants situation after birth. It’s one thing my friends and I said should be in a “Truth About Having a Baby” book 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.