Food & Drink #5 Sit the feck down, I need to see the fecking bread cart!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh deep joy 🙄 we have no water, triangulate me

I found out yesterday that a small croft house in the next village to mine has an indoor pool! Guy put it in in the '80s and it's heated by a domestic boiler, he's now in his 90s and is spending more than the state pension a year on his utility bills because the boiler is heating the water to domestic hot water temperatures and then it goes through a cooling system before getting into the pool. Friends of mine are trying to sort the whole thing out for him.
I met some one recently who was renting a house, with a neighbour with a recently installed pool. He has just received a six figure electricity bill as somehow his neighbour is using his electricity to heat the pool 🙀

I cannot understand how the neighbour has not thought 🤔 even though I have installed a pool my bills have not gone up.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
WTF the rain didn’t come and now it’s hotting up and getting sunny again. Howling in a cold bath suddenly doesn’t seem like a bad idea 🥵

Reactions: 11
So with you on not being tricked by Rishi’s food discounts - lots of places here seem to be rammed and no one wearing masks etc and it’s freaking the hell out of me. Mr EB had a work meeting with a colleague who lives nearby and they went to a beer garden in town (where social distancing and masks etc are actually in force) but still made me anxious - probably hormones and knowing we’re only 7 weeks-ish away. But I’m paranoid he’ll get contacted via Track and Trace and told he has to self-isolate for 2weeks and then in turn I’ll have to self isolate and my antenatal appointments will get derailed when they feel such a faff already with COVID-19. Let alone the fear of Covid itself. Urgh I think the heat has sent me into a bit over an over-thinking spiral!

@Pocahontas if we all trade you small talk topics you’ll send some of the rain and cool weather to us all in lieu of bitcoins right?!

@Jay-cloth Cow good luck for the interview!
I’m going to end up doing a cluster of responses as I grunk, but it might be worth you pre emptively ordering tests? My sister had a similar set of circumstances and had a really positive experience with hers (which was thankfully negative!). I’m so sorry you’re going through all of it during this time though, I know it’s not viable for everyone but those private scan clinics are allowing partners in (they were shut for the rest of my pregnancy) which could make things nicer. Really hope that they open up labour wards etc for your due date though ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Yep it’s so hot! I think it’s supposed to go downhill after today though. I don’t want to moan about the heat but I would actually love to be chilly right now.

parents of teens, do you spend your life asking if they’ve put deodorant on today? Asking for a friend. 😂
Yes, absolutely! (My first time using that, I’ve waited ages 👌😆)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Visual representation of current vibes

same, babe x this is art btw. I’m on 4 cold showers a day because I’m doing 2/3 hour feeds (she’s a big tall baby bless her) where I come away drenched in both of our sweat.

Is anyone else turning their showers into some sort of sadistic resilience training? I start on a 3 and gradually ebb the shower down to 1, I then blast myself with the lowest it goes and shudder away.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Just caught up, on our way back from Chessington. Had a surprisingly good day, I usually avoid the school holidays when it comes to theme parks but we thought it may not be so bad due to covid and limited capacity. It was not too bad at all really, kids had fun. Sun was scorching this morning, then we had a little storm this afternoon and it rained for an hour - bliss ☺

Hot and sweaty again now though, actually whipped my bra off before I even got back in the car 😂

We had hotdogs at lunch, good picnic food tip for those with kids, pop frankfurters in a flask with boiling water, they'll stay hot all day. Take sauce and rolls and it saves spending mega bucks on venue food 👍

• Heart
Reactions: 21
@Veronicaaa I love using orzo as risotto! Yours sounds divine, and I agree I think peas would work with maybe a bit of lemon or mint and maybe some soft cheese. I got hello fresh ages ago and I still make this:

20200812_185405.jpg

The tomatoes are roasted with fresh thyme and added at the end so they keep their shape and flavour and also had spinach in it. Posted it in a previous thread highly recommend!

Guys I am MELTING! You have all made me realise that since I started my SSRI I have been sweating more excessively but I thought it was just because I gained weight.. I shall be calling my doctor as Ive been v embarrassed

• Heart
Reactions: 17
same, babe x this is art btw. I’m on 4 cold showers a day because I’m doing 2/3 hour feeds (she’s a big tall baby bless her) where I come away drenched in both of our sweat.

Is anyone else turning their showers into some sort of sadistic resilience training? I start on a 3 and gradually ebb the shower down to 1, I then blast myself with the lowest it goes and shudder away.
I had my third baby just before a heatwave. I spent about 4 weeks just breastfeeding and wearing giant tena pants (easier at the beginning than pads), half naked, eating Hagen Dazs with wet muslins draped over me. Everyone was fed, the house was pretty clean, but that was it. It was good in a way because there was no pressure nor compulsion to actually do much. Except eat. And watch telly. I’m front of a fan. My first two I was running around like a headless chicken as soon as I was home. No good for anyone.

• Heart
I’m going to end up doing a cluster of responses as I grunk, but it might be worth you pre emptively ordering tests? My sister had a similar set of circumstances and had a really positive experience with hers (which was thankfully negative!). I’m so sorry you’re going through all of it during this time though, I know it’s not viable for everyone but those private scan clinics are allowing partners in (they were shut for the rest of my pregnancy) which could make things nicer. Really hope that they open up labour wards etc for your due date though ❤
Thank you ❤. Oh I keep forgetting the criteria etc for getting tested has changed, thank you for the reminder. Our hospital very recently changed their guidance so Mr EB can come to scans with me now which is a relief. I still have a couple of growth scans left, ironically first pregnancy I was told I was having a ‘huge’ baby but he came out at 8lb 12oz not the 10lb plus they terrified me with predicted. This time round while baby is measuring on the larger side of average is still within this hospitals tolerances (so far) and they seem completely unphased by it. No idea if they’ll change the guidance around labour though, seems to be at the discretion of each Trust what they do/don’t do 🤷‍♀️ but fingers crossed.

When I had my first we had a hot summer and I used to freeze muslin cloths to put on me between feeds - Heath Visitor suggested it. She also suggested doing it while feeding too but I was always worried of then making baby’s temp go too far the other way!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I’m in the far north now and it’s such a relief to be about 9 degrees cooler. Bloody mothers though...we’ll say no more. Oh @Pocahontas I’d dropped my phone on the ground and smashed the screen to bits it was a nightmare 😭

• Sad
Reactions: 14
Literally just did this, with attendant squealing. Then embraced my wet room luxury by sinking to the floor and just letting the cold water slide all over me for about 5 minutes.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Just wanted to drop a quick post in here to say that I'm so glad I found Tattle 🤗 Came here via the JM threads but love reading along with this one now. Especially all the baby/breastfeeding chat today (I'm still feeding my 16 month old, despite weird comments from everyone around me!).

Anyway, I've found this thread a really refreshing antidote to everything else that I seem to be seeing online at the moment. I had an ED when younger and although I'm a good stone and a bit lighter than pre-baby (mostly due to going vegan just after he was born and all the calories burnt from feeding the weird little naked chimp), I've found myself wanting to lose more to go down to that 'perfect' (read: unrealistic) weight 🙄 so have joined a few intermittent fasting groups on Facebook. Holy moly, are they a hotbed of toxicity. Competitions to see who can fast/starve themselves the longest, 'accountability' threads where people check in on whether you're fasting. Someone even posted to ask if they were allowed to brush their teeth because of the calories in toothpaste!

It's totally set me off again, but I'm trying to focus on nice positive online places like this to ignore the daft thinking.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 29
On day 3 (or is it 4?) of 30 degree temperature with high humidty and the storms keep passing my region by! I want a little bit of rain to break it!

• Haha
Reactions: 14
(I'm still feeding my 16 month old, despite weird comments from everyone around me!).
Welcome!

I am a huge advocate of breastfeeding and it drives me mad how people feel entitled to comment on/judge what is the most natural thing in the world and is none of their flipping business anyway.
Good on you for continuing to feed your baby, despite the weird comments.

Also sending you some understanding nodding for the ED stuff. It's a constant battle, but you're right that positive places like this can be a helpful distraction.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
We went out earlier for a walk and we used to do late night park picnics but I just worry the baby will be cold or something bad will happen so we didn’t. Anyway we walked past our local Turkish restaurant & it was RAMMED, like 100% capacity as if covid isn’t a thing?! Large tables of blokes like 6 on a table?! Surely these aren’t all living together! The owner’s son is lovely and saw us so came out to chat and he said it’s been like this non stop - wtaf is going on?! No one was wearing masks in there, is this normal?! I was horrified, Rishi’s not tricking this frau into a covid ward with his £10 temptations
I went for lunch today which was pretty dead when we got there but by the time we left it was getting really busy. Nearly all tables were full. Lots were groups of people I doubt share a household or bubble. The restaurant is really narrow so we constantly had people walking by our table. None of the staff wore masks but I don’t think they have to. I did take full advantage of the scheme though and ate way more than I should have. I’ve felt uncomfortable all day and my little baby bump has become a full blown food baby.

• Heart
I’m melting 🥵
Rumbles of thunder have started here but it’s still 35 in my house with fans on 😭

• Wow
Reactions: 11
I am a huge advocate of breastfeeding and it drives me mad how people feel entitled to comment on/judge what is the most natural thing in the world and is none of their flipping business anyway.
Good on you for continuing to feed your baby, despite the weird comments.
Right?! This is my vegan brain talking, but how is it normal for grown adults to drink boob milk from a cow, but not a growing infant to have boob milk from an actual human?

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Right?! This is my vegan brain talking, but how is it normal for grown adults to drink boob milk from a cow, but not a growing infant to have boob milk from an actual human?
Boobs have been sexualised. Its ridiculous. I had no intention of BF my first (bad labour/pnd added to that), but with my second, I loved the whole experience 🥰 there will always be weird comments about, good on you

• Heart
Reactions: 15
@Veronicaaa I love using orzo as risotto! Yours sounds divine, and I agree I think peas would work with maybe a bit of lemon or mint and maybe some soft cheese. I got hello fresh ages ago and I still make this:

View attachment 209619

The tomatoes are roasted with fresh thyme and added at the end so they keep their shape and flavour and also had spinach in it. Posted it in a previous thread highly recommend!

Guys I am MELTING! You have all made me realise that since I started my SSRI I have been sweating more excessively but I thought it was just because I gained weight.. I shall be calling my doctor as Ive been v embarrassed
Oh tinysnark, don’t be at all embarrassed. I actually cascade at times. Such a lame bloody side effect though. Always get it the worst just as I’m leaving for a wedding or interview. But definitely have a chat with them, a friend of mine who has Botox for sweats has recommended a special anti perspirant from boots but I’m going to try it before I recommend - I’ll let you know (apparently you can use it on your scalp which excites me because wet hair is not the one)

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.