Food & Drink #5 Sit the feck down, I need to see the fecking bread cart!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Fraus, it is cold, grey and raining here. Which limits the outdoor things the in-laws can do and will want to bundle over here more 😭

Mu husband is in the heat so it was funny to FaceTime this morning and see his dry, bright morning and him in just pants and us all in PJs and a sodden, grumpy cat.

We had lobster last night (which the in-laws bought as they are in holiday food mode) FANCY! My youngest tried some, declared it tasted like ‘Penguin food’ and spat it in the bin 😂 I didn’t even have the energy to tell him off though 😳

Wish I could send you a little rain and cold air !
Is it? It’s still bloody hot here! Hope you manage to have a good day. 😬

• Wow
Reactions: 9
The kids asked for pancakes this morning and I almost melted standing at the stove for 30 minutes making 10 of the most beautiful, uniform fluffy pancakes. It was so worth it though, the oldest two sat at the table like they were in a little cafe with all the fruits and toppings laid out and a little cup of vanilla rooibos each ❤
I feel really sad for them that we haven't really been anywhere for months.
It's bloody hot again, but we've been promised a storm today so fingers crossed for some relief.
@Pocahontas you have my sympathy, the in law situation sounds like so much effort.
Has anyone watched The Umbrella Academy? I finished it last night and thought it was fun.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Fraus, it is cold, grey and raining here. Which limits the outdoor things the in-laws can do and will want to bundle over here more 😭

Mu husband is in the heat so it was funny to FaceTime this morning and see his dry, bright morning and him in just pants and us all in PJs and a sodden, grumpy cat.

We had lobster last night (which the in-laws bought as they are in holiday food mode) FANCY! My youngest tried some, declared it tasted like ‘Penguin food’ and spat it in the bin 😂 I didn’t even have the energy to tell him off though 😳

Wish I could send you a little rain and cold air !
Cold, grey, and raining? Hmmmm I might have to triangulate you just so I can sit in your house 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 16
The kids asked for pancakes this morning and I almost melted standing at the stove for 30 minutes making 10 of the most beautiful, uniform fluffy pancakes. It was so worth it though, the oldest two sat at the table like they were in a little cafe with all the fruits and toppings laid out and a little cup of vanilla rooibos each ❤
It's bloody hot again, but we've been promised a storm today so fingers crossed for some relief.
@Pocahontas you have my sympathy, the in law situation sounds like so much effort.
Has anyone watched The Umbrella Academy? I finished it last night and thought it was fun.
Loved UA! The characters are great and love all the different relationships

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Morning Fraus! There was a storm on the east coast of Scotland last night, some AMAZING photos and videos on twitter if you search Fife, Falkirk or Edinburgh. I'd say there was no sign of it here, but the dog had me up most of the night with the panicked behaviour he usually has during thunder storms, so he obviously felt something in the air.
Last night I made a kind of risotto with orzo pasta (I'd call it orzotto but I looked that up and apparently that's risotto with pearl barley, which, bleurgh) - I didn't know if it would work or not but it was DIVINE, better even than normal risotto I think and half the time. I fried up some onions, garlic, an anchovy (it was one of those 'stick all your leftovers in' kind of thing), some halved baby tomatoes, some roasted peppers, then added the orzo and some veg stock, enough to cover it (had to add more water towards the end), stuck in some cheapo salad cheese which was all I had but it made it lovely and creamy, added some fresh basil and capers at the end. It was DELISH and it will become a new regular I reckon. Really have to start measuring out my orzo though as it's another one I always make too much of and then eat all of it anyway, even though it was more than enough for 2 servings.
I am going to try and make a variation on this tonight- sounds super tasty

Reactions: 8
That sounds adorable.

My daughter keeps wittering at me to do those stupid tiny ones people on instagram keep making. I really cannot be bothered twiddling about doing them though!

Hope you guys get a break from the heat soon. I've seen a few people posting really awesome storm footage.

Reactions: 11
I am going to try and make a variation on this tonight- sounds super tasty
Yay, it was, and I think highly adaptable! I was just using what I had and hoping for the best, but am already thinking about different flavours - I reckon peas would be great in it (I love a pea risotto) with lemon or pancetta or blue cheese or whatever. Or asparagus! Or courgette! The possibilities are endless!

Last edited:
  • Heart
God, I love fluffy little pancakes. They are the default birthday breakfast treat for me and MrF. We had the lazy-bastard Asda ones for breakfast this morning. They are, tbf, an acceptable alternative, particularly the lemon and sultana ones (IMO), and if you slap plenty of butter and maple syrup on anything I will probably happily eat it.

We watched the first series of UA binge style. We're working through the 2nd series at the moment, but trying to be a bit more controlled about it, I really like it.

Trying to think what else we've liked recently. I've been watching a lot of old TV on BritBox though. One new thing, I think previously mentioned here or somewhere, was Upload on Amazon Prime. Thought that was *excellent*. Very funny, really sweet and moving in places.

ETA: I can recommend a GOOD CRY if this heat and general life stuff is all too much. I have just had one, and soaked someone's t-shirt pretty much all the way through, while whinging about how much pain I am in all the damn time, and how much worse the heat makes it, and how I can cope with stress, heat or pain, but not all three at the same time. It's fixed nothing, but it's made me feel better, and I have a very kind other half.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
@Pocahontas pleeeease swap weather with me!

@Flumps I’m the same with moaning. It winds me up how much I moan about being hot that I end up really annoyed with myself for moaning but still CAN’T STOP MOANING ABOUT IT!

I worked a little this morning, started at 6.45 and melted before I even walked through my first patients door!
My nan and dad are in arranging grandads funeral at the moment. You can only have 2 people in because of Covid restrictions so I’ll go round later.
I have just used our new Shark again to distract myself, I love it so much! I can’t remember which other person here was waiting till their Hoover died to buy a Shark instead but do it, don’t wait!

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I love my Shark vacuum cleaner.
I still have to go out again. So I still have a bra on.
Lunch will be anything cold from the fridge.

Reactions: 8
Morning Fraus!

@Pocahontas I am very jealous of your rain!! Your son is right - lobster IS penguin food! *high five mini pocahontas*

I moved into the spare room last night at about 1am as the heat was unbearable (Mr Cow is a radiator in human form) and although warm, the space was bliss and I slept better than I have done in days!
My partner is exactly the same! I ended up sleeping on the floor as it’s wooden and marginally cooler than anywhere else. Have now totally fucked up back 🙄

• Heart
Really?! Weird!
It’s been raining here and chilly 😂
Think it will burn off though.
Yep it’s so hot! I think it’s supposed to go downhill after today though. I don’t want to moan about the heat but I would actually love to be chilly right now.

parents of teens, do you spend your life asking if they’ve put deodorant on today? Asking for a friend. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Yep it’s so hot! I think it’s supposed to go downhill after today though. I don’t want to moan about the heat but I would actually love to be chilly right now.

parents of teens, do you spend your life asking if they’ve put deodorant on today? Asking for a friend. 😂
Yes! Every morning!
and then I get: ‘Stop asking me, it’s none of your business’ 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I know, I’m a nightmare. It’s so difficult to drink on the ward, everytime I thought about grabbing some water, someone wanted something. And the barbaric rules about not allowing us to have water bottles at the nurses station 🙄 it’s absolutely bonkers especially in 30 odd degree heat.

The heat does do funny things to us, I think it’s linked to the lack of sleep (because who honestly sleeps well when it’s THIS hot). Sort of a delirium thing.

I can’t sleep so I’m back up and having some Jam on toast because someone mentioned it earlier and now I can’t stop thinking about it
I hope you are feeling better, I can't believe they don't let you keep water bottles handy, what's their reasoning? Surely it's a H&S issue in itself. I wonder what the rules are. I would be checking with the union, if you are a member or not tbh. But, the alarm reminder is a good idea. Sorry, thinking in type there. Take care of yourself.

It is still stupidly hot in Sarfend, I have a ridiculous headache so will be calling on DD to take care of catering for those that must be fed, and everything else can wait. I have been watching the weather radar, getting increasingly angry as I watch patches of rain look like they're heading this way, only to fizzle out or swerve away. Then I feel guilty for wishing for rain when I see others affected by floods.... I still want a cuppa tea though., which too is delegated to DD.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Argh, my children went back to school on Monday and today my son, age 9, and 3 other kids in his class got sent home because they all have sore throats. He's not allowed back to school until he gets Covid-19 tested. So now i am trying to figure out how to get it done here, with my rubbish german. Apparently it takes some days to get the results so he is going to be at home a while. Hope it's negative, or we'll all have to quarentine for 10 days and my daughter has just started a new school. Bugger and arse.

• Sad
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 29
I love my Shark vacuum cleaner.
I still have to go out again. So I still have a bra on.
Lunch will be anything cold from the fridge.
I can't go braless... I don't even have big boobs, so my go to are the stretchy crop tops, my boingy bra as I call them. I too like my new shark but I ain't using it today!

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.