Food & Drink #5 Sit the feck down, I need to see the fecking bread cart!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Jay-cloth Cow well done and good luck šŸ’•

@Sausage Grand Station hope you are feeling ok and take care- maybe set some alarms on your phone for definite drinks and food to kind of force yourself to. Although I have one of those times water bottles for work and Iā€™m either through it all in the first bit or ignoring all the times so I should practice what I preach!

thĆ© heat has got to my head in a bad way- someone at work did something completely innocuous but in a really sexy way today due to the weather and itā€™s making me feel a bit tummy flippy whenever I think about it! Said person is not usually in any way attractive (and Iā€™m happily married) so Iā€™m blaming this stupid heatwave!
I know, Iā€™m a nightmare. Itā€™s so difficult to drink on the ward, everytime I thought about grabbing some water, someone wanted something. And the barbaric rules about not allowing us to have water bottles at the nurses station šŸ™„ itā€™s absolutely bonkers especially in 30 odd degree heat.

The heat does do funny things to us, I think itā€™s linked to the lack of sleep (because who honestly sleeps well when itā€™s THIS hot). Sort of a delirium thing.

I canā€™t sleep so Iā€™m back up and having some Jam on toast because someone mentioned it earlier and now I canā€™t stop thinking about it

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
Long time GL-ing, so just a few notes to you all, as Iā€™ve missed you like proper mates!

Anyway, I would much rather be GL-ing here than the current unnecessary Groundhog Day unpleasantness of the mother thread. More lolly and kebab chat, and non-slop food photos and gifs please ā€” no kittens or anything else Monroe -related šŸ„ŗ

Iā€™ll stay here until thereā€™s a chaos to respond to

awww thank you! And completely agree with this - I miss Jackie being freshly reprehensible? Although I appreciated the brand new info of her aesthetician rumbling her šŸ˜‚

We went out earlier for a walk and we used to do late night park picnics but I just worry the baby will be cold or something bad will happen so we didnā€™t. Anyway we walked past our local Turkish restaurant & it was RAMMED, like 100% capacity as if covid isnā€™t a thing?! Large tables of blokes like 6 on a table?! Surely these arenā€™t all living together! The ownerā€™s son is lovely and saw us so came out to chat and he said itā€™s been like this non stop - wtaf is going on?! No one was wearing masks in there, is this normal?! I was horrified, Rishiā€™s not tricking this frau into a covid ward with his Ā£10 temptations!

On the bright side I bought some baclava from the Turkish grocers - canā€™t wait for the 1pm storms, a cup of tea and a bit of that šŸ¤¤

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 19
@Jay-cloth Cow YESSSSS on you bossing the job front in a pandemic! Good luck for tomorrow!

I usually class myself as being completely unable to deal with heat of any kind, but my friend whose house I've been staying at has been prostrate on the sofa all day with 2 fans pointing at him and then retired to bed at 9pm with a triple whisky and a cheese toastie to help him sleep so....maybe I'm not so bad after all! This weather is kinda fine for me! Although I maintain that one of the worst sensations the human body can experience is that single bead of warm sweat that drips down your cleavage.

I cooked an encore of bulgur balls for my hosts (who asked for seconds :D), and we also did a mock viva for me on Zoom - real one is in 2 weeks! Also signed the sublet agreement! So although I spent Ā£30 on passport photos for Vlad, today has been a good day :)

My food heroes are nduja (ffs JM ruined it, but it elevates a simple tomato pasta sauce), miso, harissa, tamarind, shrimp paste (basically anything that can happily sit in a jar for a couple of months and not go off). And then there's this:

View attachment 208905

Knocks all of the other chilli oils out of the park. I can eat it with a spoon...
So Vlad whisked you through customs- хŠ¾Ń€Š¾ŃˆŠ¾ šŸ¾

• Haha
Reactions: 13
@Jay-cloth Cow YESSSSS on you bossing the job front in a pandemic! Good luck for tomorrow!

I usually class myself as being completely unable to deal with heat of any kind, but my friend whose house I've been staying at has been prostrate on the sofa all day with 2 fans pointing at him and then retired to bed at 9pm with a triple whisky and a cheese toastie to help him sleep so....maybe I'm not so bad after all! This weather is kinda fine for me! Although I maintain that one of the worst sensations the human body can experience is that single bead of warm sweat that drips down your cleavage.

I cooked an encore of bulgur balls for my hosts (who asked for seconds :D), and we also did a mock viva for me on Zoom - real one is in 2 weeks! Also signed the sublet agreement! So although I spent Ā£30 on passport photos for Vlad, today has been a good day :)

My food heroes are nduja (ffs JM ruined it, but it elevates a simple tomato pasta sauce), miso, harissa, tamarind, shrimp paste (basically anything that can happily sit in a jar for a couple of months and not go off). And then there's this:

View attachment 208905

Knocks all of the other chilli oils out of the park. I can eat it with a spoon...
I love this too it makes anything better šŸ˜ a warning though - donā€™t spill it on any fabric, is basically impossible to get the stain out šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Our dinner last night. Pasta, tomatoes & shrimps. Kids do not like shrimps, good all the more for Mr Doom and me. They had a large choc ice.
heatwave food.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 12
awww thank you! And completely agree with this - I miss Jackie being freshly reprehensible? Although I appreciated the brand new info of her aesthetician rumbling her šŸ˜‚

We went out earlier for a walk and we used to do late night park picnics but I just worry the baby will be cold or something bad will happen so we didnā€™t. Anyway we walked past our local Turkish restaurant & it was RAMMED, like 100% capacity as if covid isnā€™t a thing?! Large tables of blokes like 6 on a table?! Surely these arenā€™t all living together! The ownerā€™s son is lovely and saw us so came out to chat and he said itā€™s been like this non stop - wtaf is going on?! No one was wearing masks in there, is this normal?! I was horrified, Rishiā€™s not tricking this frau into a covid ward with his Ā£10 temptations!

On the bright side I bought some baclava from the Turkish grocers - canā€™t wait for the 1pm storms, a cup of tea and a bit of that šŸ¤¤
I donā€™t get it at all. Pubs and restaurants open but there are restrictions on the exercise industry. All while theyā€™re talking about obesity again. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø
Iā€™ve noticed a massive decrease in social distancing lately, people seem relaxed about it all, lots of kids together playing in parks, local football games are happening. The only reminder that Covid is going on is the masks in shops.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Morning all.
I already have a fan pointing directly at me.
itā€™s going to be boiling here in Sarfend again today.
I have to go out as well.
Hope everyone has a good day & isnā€™t too hot.

Reactions: 10
I know, Iā€™m a nightmare. Itā€™s so difficult to drink on the ward, everytime I thought about grabbing some water, someone wanted something. And the barbaric rules about not allowing us to have water bottles at the nurses station šŸ™„ itā€™s absolutely bonkers especially in 30 odd degree heat.

The heat does do funny things to us, I think itā€™s linked to the lack of sleep (because who honestly sleeps well when itā€™s THIS hot). Sort of a delirium thing.

I canā€™t sleep so Iā€™m back up and having some Jam on toast because someone mentioned it earlier and now I canā€™t stop thinking about it
Take care if youā€™re at work today, have you got a water fountain on the ward? Can you maybe remind yourself to have a drink before you do obs/meds/roundings etc? I hope your manager is looking after you!

Been awake for hours - something was thumping round on the roof and all I could think of were the rodent stories the other day šŸ˜±. I had a nice Grunk through the old thread tho. @Flumps your sausage pasta recipe sounds delicious - am definitely giving that a go. I never know what to do with sausages and the kids moan something rotten when weā€™re having them for tea. Many hours of my life have been wasted watching the oldest one picking off all the skin (even the skinless ones!) and then slowly slowly slowly sampling the innards. Fml...

Loved the Italy chat! Kids are v proud that theyā€™re a tiny bit Italian (long way back) but weā€™ve never taken them. Really want to when itā€™s all back to some sort of travel normality. Was going to ask for some tips of where to go but then realised Iā€™d sound like Nigel Slaters Helena so Iā€™ll just have a proper read and make some notes.

Sorry for waffling about my kids šŸ„±.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Morning all. I feel bad about posting, because this heat has sapped all the energy from my brain/body, so all I am thinking is 'God, please let it cool down' and it doesn't make for interesting posting to repetitively moan about the heat. I've also got to go home today after 5 days with my partner and I'm frankly miserable about it already, which isn't very helpful is it? Shouldn't borrow trouble.

@Jay-cloth Cow - super pleased for you. It's so hard in this job market at the moment. I hope interview goes well. I agree with advice upthread about notes pinned around the screen. xxxx

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Sertraline sweats anybody???? My very honest friend said over the weekend ā€œgosh you seem to have a river running down your faceā€. Yes, babe Iā€™d bleeping noticed. Tempted to try something else but Iā€™ve found that sweet spot of medicated normality and donā€™t want to stop.

Supper is a Linda Mc mozzarella burger and some rocket stuffed in a bagel. Anniversary of my existence tomorrow, Frau, and being a wet sop about it.
Sorry Iā€™m late catching up but YES! My OH takes sertraline and he is constantly sweating!!! Our bed is vile!!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
When the bloody hell is this magical storm going to rock up and cool us all down?? Whennnnnn???

Didn't help myself at all last night, eating cold pickles shortly before bed, in a frenzy of being boiled and not being hungry but also being hungry, and not knowing what to eat. Spent the night roasting in front of a fan with a wet flannel on my head, and a side order of horrendous heartburn. I was cursing those pickles, and the heat, and the everything, all through the night šŸ„µ

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Although I maintain that one of the worst sensations the human body can experience is that single bead of warm sweat that drips down your cleavage.
Worse for me is a bead of sweat down your lower back šŸ¤¢

I actually slept well last night; took a sleeping tablet & the twit borrowed one of those big metal fans from work - bliss!! We had a storm last night but it hasnt cleared the air. Today is due to be the worst for humidity šŸ„µ

When the bloody hell is this magical storm going to rock up and cool us all down?? Whennnnnn???

Didn't help myself at all last night, eating cold pickles shortly before bed, in a frenzy of being boiled and not being hungry but also being hungry, and not knowing what to eat. Spent the night roasting in front of a fan with a wet flannel on my head, and a side order of horrendous heartburn. I was cursing those pickles, and the heat, and the everything, all through the night šŸ„µ
I celebrated ripe age by lying on a frozen sheet of ice from the freezer - influenced by this very thread. Hope everyone is ok, and thank you for the really kind birthday wishes - was actually really touched.

Shock revelation from me this morning - Iā€™m not that much of a jam person! But I love Roses Lime Marmalade? May I have that?

Just reread this and ā€œfrozen ice from freezerā€ is about as idiotic as I can muster. There really is a correlation between brain functionality and the heat

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Morning Fraus!

@Pocahontas I am very jealous of your rain!! Your son is right - lobster IS penguin food! *high five mini pocahontas*

I moved into the spare room last night at about 1am as the heat was unbearable (Mr Cow is a radiator in human form) and although warm, the space was bliss and I slept better than I have done in days!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Hopefully it's going to hold off another 36 hours, because my hay is getting spread today and baled tomorrow! Midge city up here at the moment, it's horrendous :(

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Morning Fraus! There was a storm on the east coast of Scotland last night, some AMAZING photos and videos on twitter if you search Fife, Falkirk or Edinburgh. I'd say there was no sign of it here, but the dog had me up most of the night with the panicked behaviour he usually has during thunder storms, so he obviously felt something in the air.
Last night I made a kind of risotto with orzo pasta (I'd call it orzotto but I looked that up and apparently that's risotto with pearl barley, which, bleurgh) - I didn't know if it would work or not but it was DIVINE, better even than normal risotto I think and half the time. I fried up some onions, garlic, an anchovy (it was one of those 'stick all your leftovers in' kind of thing), some halved baby tomatoes, some roasted peppers, then added the orzo and some veg stock, enough to cover it (had to add more water towards the end), stuck in some cheapo salad cheese which was all I had but it made it lovely and creamy, added some fresh basil and capers at the end. It was DELISH and it will become a new regular I reckon. Really have to start measuring out my orzo though as it's another one I always make too much of and then eat all of it anyway, even though it was more than enough for 2 servings.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 24

So with you on not being tricked by Rishiā€™s food discounts - lots of places here seem to be rammed and no one wearing masks etc and itā€™s freaking the hell out of me. Mr EB had a work meeting with a colleague who lives nearby and they went to a beer garden in town (where social distancing and masks etc are actually in force) but still made me anxious - probably hormones and knowing weā€™re only 7 weeks-ish away. But Iā€™m paranoid heā€™ll get contacted via Track and Trace and told he has to self-isolate for 2weeks and then in turn Iā€™ll have to self isolate and my antenatal appointments will get derailed when they feel such a faff already with COVID-19. Let alone the fear of Covid itself. Urgh I think the heat has sent me into a bit over an over-thinking spiral!

@Pocahontas if we all trade you small talk topics youā€™ll send some of the rain and cool weather to us all in lieu of bitcoins right?!

@Jay-cloth Cow good luck for the interview!

• Heart
Fraulen I have exciting news - I have an interview next week! Leading on from the phone interview I had last week, the actual manager wants to meet me over skype! Was especially good news for me as I pulled a sickie today after my horror of a manager referred to the 3 months leave I had at the start of the year due to
being suicidal and having a full on breakdown to the point that I couldn't do anything for myself and was a total zombie, I forgot how to tie my laces etc etc
as "Jay-cloth's little extended holiday". I am not holding out too much hope as I know the job market is terrible at the mo but its given me a huge confidence boost and I'm now picturing handing my notice in with a massive F-you to my boss (disclaimer - I would never actually do that, as much as I like to play the billy big-balls in my head I am far too placid to start a confrontation!)
Sorry, meant to say this yesterday:

DCE8C980-0C21-44F1-BD17-8477E42BC54D.jpeg

• Heart
I celebrated ripe age by lying on a frozen sheet of ice from the freezer - influenced by this very thread. Hope everyone is ok, and thank you for the really kind birthday wishes - was actually really touched.

Shock revelation from me this morning - Iā€™m not that much of a jam person! But I love Roses Lime Marmalade? May I have that?

Just reread this and ā€œfrozen ice from freezerā€ is about as idiotic as I can muster. There really is a correlation between brain functionality and the heat
I hope you had a lovely birthday, being boiled alive and all. How can you not be a jam person, you ARE jam! Genuinely shocked šŸ˜‚

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.