Food & Drink #4 Any herb will do

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hard yes to farfalle being the worst pasta shape! I’m a big fan of rigatoni and bucatini myself...

Surprised to see the orecchiette popularity - I picked up this bag in Rome last November but still haven’t used it because they remind me of veiny earlobes?! What kinda pasta dish would you fraus make with it?View attachment 203520
Bung it in a curry

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I like watching cooking videos as much as anyone, but this one popped up on my Facebook feed and I am so confused. If I went to someone's house and they served this...well... it's not as bad as Cookist videos (pudge pudge everything has ham and cheese and is pudged) but... why not just have a nice wrap?

WTF is that monstrosity 😂 how would you get a portion out?? You'd be serving up spoonfuls of soggy wrap 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I like watching cooking videos as much as anyone, but this one popped up on my Facebook feed and I am so confused. If I went to someone's house and they served this...well... it's not as bad as Cookist videos (pudge pudge everything has ham and cheese and is pudged) but... why not just have a nice wrap?

I saw this on Twitter earlier. It’s not at all acceptable.

I’ve had a late lunch. Slightly odd, but it’s what I fancied. Chicken slices in red oil. It was very tasty tbf.

7A63543D-F31B-49F6-8C8E-A2911711A2C0.jpeg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
What is red oil, pray tell dear Flumps?
I know I could google, but ... I love your words!
The red oil itself is this, Sichuan chilli oil.

But the actual sauce is (only slightly) more elaborate. Light soy sauce, sugar and the chilli oil (preferably with plenty of chilli flakes from the bottom of the jar, in my case).

Poach a chicken breast per person in water with some ginger, slightly crushed with the back of a knife and the white parts of a couple of spring onions, until just cooked. I went slightly over with mine, because someone wanted to talk to me about work, but ideally it should still be nice and juicy.

Chop up spring onions, both white and green parts, I like fairly small bits, but most recipes say bite size chunks. Slice or chop the chicken into similar. Then, either mix together with the spring onions and the sauce, or if you want to take a photo of it for the internet, arrange chicken on a plate, drizzle over sauce and sprinkle with the spring onion bits.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
My Ultimate Roast Lunch

I know I’m late to the party with this and I’ve really enjoyed grunking through all your thoughts and ideas on roasts. For me, I can only have a roast on a Sunday. I like to sit down and have it around 2-2.30. I don’t like eating it in the evening, too heavy. I always cook extra meat and roasties as I like them cold, sprinkled with extra salt and sometimes dipped in gravy 😋

My Meat of choice is beef. Secondly, roast leg of lamb and thirdly is loin of pork or belly pork with major crackling. Chicken to me doesn’t make an epic roast, I think it’s good in its own right and I prefer roast chicken with a jacket potato, Creme fraiche and chives.

Sirloin or fillet of beef, cooked medium rare. Sliced quite thin. I like hot horseradish with mine and also a delicious sauce made with watercress and mustard from the ottolenghi cookbook (highly recommended to have this in cold roast beef sandwiches)

Gravy made from the beef roasting juices, red wine, shallots and beef stock (homemade or from one of the supermarket fresh pouches, (Heston at Waitrose does a very good one).

Carrot purée. I think carrots work really well with beef. I make a wicked purée , it’s dead simple but you do need a nutri bullet or similar to obtain an ultra smooth, whipped texture (very Cheffy and not at all slop à la Jackie)

Roast potatoes cooked in a mix of beef dripping and sunflower oil. I sometimes add semolina for extra crunch. I always use Maris Pipers and they are parboiled for a good while before gently draining and left to cool and dry on a tray.

Roast parsnips. These are halved or quartered according to size and roasted on a separate tray. Sometimes I add honey towards the end of cooking if they need a little help caremalising. I don’t always have parsnips, sometimes I fancy swede and roast cubes of it with salt and pepper.

Creamed leeks. SO delicious..!! I like to add a sprinkle of celery seeds in mine, and seasoned with salt and white pepper.

Greens, either green beans cooked fairly al dente (just past the squeaky stage) then tossed in a teeny bit of butter

Or spring greens, shredded and steamed and again, tossed in some butter

Epic yorkies. These are a must for me with any roast. I’ve finally discovered the perfect recipe for them so they rise like a dream (see attached photo) and don’t collapse when you take them out of the oven. (James Martin’s granny’s recipe) ALWAYS cooked with dripping and either one giant pud or the shallow 4 pan Yorkie trays you can get.

All this talk of dry roasts..? With modest amounts of gravy, a tablespoonful of carrot purée and the creamed leeks, this combination is certainly not dry, but not sloppy either. For me, it heaven! Washed down with a few glasses of red 🍷

Apologies for the essay, I just love talking and writing about food, because I’m greedy goblin!

**FYI, I shall affectionately and not at all pretentiously be referring to this work as ROASTIES in any future correspondence to my agent or press 😏**

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
The red oil itself is this, Sichuan chilli oil.

But the actual sauce is (only slightly more elaborate). Light soy sauce, sugar and the chilli oil (preferably with plenty of chilli flakes from the bottom of the jar, in my case).

Poach a chicken breast per person in water with some ginger, slightly crushed with the back of a knife and the white parts of a couple of spring onions, until just cooked. I went slightly over with mine, because someone wanted to talk to me about work, but ideally it should still be nice and juicy.

Chop up spring onions, both white and green parts, I like fairly small bits, but most recipes say bite size chunks. Slice or chop the chicken into similar. Then, either mix together with the spring onions and the sauce, or if you want to take a photo of it for the internet, arrange chicken on a plate, drizzle over sauce and sprinkle with the spring onion bits.
Thank you my love - I shall collate the above and add it to
The Cabal Cookbook: Food You Actually Want to Eat (Foreword by Matt Tebutt)
❤

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21

What on the actual duck is that?

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Petitioning for a big frau sleepover during which @Flumps reads us her recipes as bedtime stories. I will offer compensation to you in the form of fancy food photography for the rest of your days.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
@Flumps Do you happen to own shares of the company selling drain non return valves? I have just ordered three. 😉
Have managed to triangulate Flumps and her frauen cabal all the way to a villa on a private island, funded by a drain valve empire and shares in Shark hoovers! (Vlad chips in as well, of course 😋)

• Haha
Reactions: 22
I don’t see her twitter, but hopefully grabbed #31. but never having used it before I don’t know if it’s worked. Can anybody check?

Reactions: 8
Feeling distinctly like the un-fancy Frau that has never been to Italy nor is part Italian (I'm a gypsy though that's mysterious and interesting right? Isn't it?? 😢) Ah I'm just boring 😂
@Nottonightbabe don’t want to triangulate you or be really nosey (ok I am), but I’m really interested in your gypsy heritage, I definitely think it’s mysterious. Do you still follow a lot of traditions, do your family?x

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Going back to the egg chat earlier. I forgot to mention eggy bread (which is what I always called it until I was <redacted> years old and learned that swanky people called it French toast). I love eggy bread. Either savoury with bacon (then you can cook the eggy bread in bacon fat) or sweet with sugar all over it. I may have the latter later on now I’ve thought about it. FGS no one follow the Flumps diet this week.

This Insta post is what reminded me of that option, not strictly eggy bread, but I’m finding the general idea appealing.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Going back to the egg chat earlier. I forgot to mention eggy bread (which is what I always called it until I was <redacted> years old and learned that swanky people called it French toast). I love eggy bread. Either savoury with bacon (then you can cook the eggy bread in bacon fat) or sweet with sugar all over it. I may have the latter later on now I’ve thought about it. FGS no one follow the Flumps diet this week.

This Insta post is what reminded me of that option, not strictly eggy bread, but I’m finding the general idea appealing.

Oh I've actually done that egg sandwich before, there was a video doing the rounds on twitter a year or so ago and I tried it, it definitely works!

Reactions: 6
I had the smoked salmon on philly and Co-op black pepper crackers today. It was very nice, but despite some strawberries and apple slices, I feel rotten today. I think I might have got a touch overheated, as Mr D and I trotted off to an antiques/junk shop down the road this afternoon.

I was intending to see whether they had any battered bentwood chairs like you used to get in doctor's surgeries (as brand new chairs are stupid expensive and/or rubbish) so I could sit down at the kitchen table and cook; the folding IKEA ones I bought about 15 years ago are knackered.

In the end, we came out with two solid oak beasties from about 1780-1800 for the princely sum of a fiver each. They're going to need cleaning up and beeswaxing, which I'll probably do when it isn't so bloody hot all the time, but if they've survived since then (and I messed with Mr D's head by pointing out the oak tree that produced them was already an adult tree at the time of the Salem Witch Trials), seen off Woodworm and still feel more sturdy, I think they'll do nicely. I would put cushions on them, but they've already got cats sleeping happily on the exciting, 'new' things.

We both looked mournfully at the amazing wardrobes, though. So solid, practical and beautiful. And cheap. If only they'd fit around the curve of the stairs.

I've necked two paracetamol and I'm heading upstairs for a bit in the hope that my banging head and neck, which IS THE WORST PAIN EVER (today) eases off by dinnertime.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
@Nottonightbabe don’t want to triangulate you or be really nosey (ok I am), but I’m really interested in your gypsy heritage, I definitely think it’s mysterious. Do you still follow a lot of traditions, do your family?x
I would also love to know this! My best friend at primary school was from a travelling family and she was bullied so much which I really didn't understand at the time, but going to her family's caravan for a summer bbq all the time when it was warm is one of my favourite childhood memories

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.