Food & Drink #4 Any herb will do

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can second Delia's chocolate mousse recipe @EddieBeds ! Very easy to make and also very delicious. I make it with milk chocolate as I find dark a bit rich.

My favourite chocolate which they dont make anymore was the Thornton's Sicilian Lemon Mousse bar. It was the perfect balance of sweet and tangy without being sickly. Thornton's really lost their way didn't they. I remember perceiving them as FANCY as a kid but now their packaging looks a bit tit and you can buy their selection boxes in Tesco! Maybe I grew up but definitely think they fumbled their brand strategy!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I had carbonara for lunch. Favourite long pasta is tagliatelle, just never seem to buy it! Too used to my son being a picky eater that I buy the usual spaghetti & penne

Reactions: 8
I had carbonara for lunch. Favourite long pasta is tagliatelle, just never seem to buy it! Too used to my son being a picky eater that I buy the usual spaghetti & penne
SNAP! Or it will be snap as that's what I'm cooking in an hour or so. I use Jamie Oliver's recipe. I think that's my favourite type of Italian cooking: simple, good-quality ingredients. I spent a lot of summers growing up in Italy staying with relatives and if I close my eyes I can recall the sweet and sharp tomatoes, bitter basil and lovely stracciatella cheese that seemed to be on every sandwich!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Thornton's really lost their way didn't they. I remember perceiving them as FANCY as a kid but now their packaging looks a bit tit and you can buy their selection boxes in Tesco! Maybe I grew up but definitely think they fumbled their brand strategy!
My parents used to let me and my sister choose a few bars whenever we went to the nearest shopping outlet when we were young. I used to think I was so ~FANCY~ in there!! I loved the Viennese bars, I've just googled them and they're only £1! I swear they used to ne more like 3 for £5 and that's like 20 years ago...

I spent a lot of summers growing up in Italy staying with relatives and if I close my eyes I can recall the sweet and sharp tomatoes, bitter basil and lovely stracciatella cheese that seemed to be on every sandwich!
How lovely - what part of Italy, if you don't mind me asking? (Purely for triangulation purposes, you understand 😉)

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Breakdance - how’s about Pavlova or meringues? But then you have the extra yolks ...

We bought a bottle of mezcal after watching Albert Finney in Under the Volcano (he spends the entirety of the film soused on it, so not a great influence 😂) oh my god that stuff 😳🤯
Please post pics of your Mexican vegetarian feast!
hahahaha that is a great way to be influenced! A Copita of mezcal with a side of orange slices dipped in chilli *practically bursting trying to resist doing a chef’s kiss*

also eggs: homemade mayo! I make it way more than I should. When asked if she wants any mayo my 10 year old always asks if it’s the shop stuff or homemade...ive Raised such a head 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
How lovely - what part of Italy, if you don't mind me asking? (Purely for triangulation purposes, you understand 😉)
My family are from Emilia Romagna, specifically near Ravenna by the Adriatic sea side! BTW I'd recommend that any frau with an interest in Italy should go to Ravenna. It hasn't experienced too much over tourism and is filled with these gorgeous Byzantine buildings with mosaics and "proper" Italian restaurants with primi and secondi that have all local ingredients.

The local cuisine we ate a lot of was piadini - which are kind of like an Italian flatbread that you stuff full of cheese, parma ham, mushrooms or other bits and bobs and then griddle! I'm always really surprised they've never been exported over here because they really are gorgeous and cheap/easy to make.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
My family are from Emilia Romagna, specifically near Ravenna by the Adriatic sea side! BTW I'd recommend that any frau with an interest in Italy should go to Ravenna. It hasn't experienced too much over tourism and is filled with these gorgeous Byzantine buildings with mosaics and "proper" Italian restaurants with primi and secondi that have all local ingredients.

The local cuisine we ate a lot of was piadini - which are kind of like an Italian flatbread that you stuff full of cheese, parma ham, mushrooms or other bits and bobs and then griddle! I'm always really surprised they've never been exported over here because they really are gorgeous and cheap/easy to make.
Oh god, as if I didn't want to go back to Italy enough already! I haven't been to Ravenna, nearest I got (looking at the map) was Imola and Dozza, had the most amazing risotto I've ever had in Dozza in fact (scallop and saffron). I've been to the Adriatic but further south - Silvi Marina - AMAZING beaches, such clear water, ugh ugh I feel like booking a flight right now!

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
Oh god, as if I didn't want to go back to Italy enough already! I haven't been to Ravenna, nearest I got (looking at the map) was Imola and Dozza, had the most amazing risotto I've ever had in Dozza in fact (scallop and saffron). I've been to the Adriatic but further south - Silvi - AMAZING beaches, such clear water, ugh ugh I feel like booking a flight right now!
I've never been to Dozza but it looks absolutely stunning! And that risotto sounds divine! Scallop and saffron is such a gorgeous combination. Don't because I am legitimately looking at flights right now despite not being able to afford to go and it being impractical! Bloody COVID, honestly.

• Heart
Hahaha. Straight talking children.

Ok, so I could give you my perfect tortilla recipe, but I know how painful it is to try and make children change their views, so you may not have the energy for that argument.

Go to stuff to do with a lot of eggs:

Quiche. I really, really like quiche. Quiche Lorraine for preference. This recipe is pretty close to the one I use, but I don't add spring onions. I don't feel the need for that slight harshness, I want it to be comforting.

Important part is sprinkling the cheese and bacon (I use cut up back bacon) onto the crust, not into the custard mix. I also blind bake until the crust is almost completely cooked. I hate undercooked pastry bottoms.

Carbonara. I make mine just with fried up bacon until it has a slight crunch. Parmesan and black pepper whisked into the eggs in a bowl. Cook pasta. Add to bacon fried in olive oil. Reserve some of the pasta cooking water. Stir the pasta around in the bacon mix until coated and everything is hot. Then remove from the heat and add the eggs and a couple of tbsps of pasta cooking water. Stir a lot and let the residual heat in the pan and the pasta cook the eggs. This should stop it from scrambling and give you a silky sauce, not a lumpy one. Sometimes I find, just to thicken it a tiny bit I need to put it back on a VERY low heat, but be v careful with this and as soon as it starts to thicken and your spoon leaves trails in the pan, remove it again. I love carbonara so much.

I like eggs. Sorry for the uber-long post.
Ah @Flumps thank you so much, my 2 ove carbonara and it’s my son’s birthday this weekend so I shall make brownies! I always make him a cake, but party not for a couple of weeks, so will hold of doing his proper cake (sport themed 😩🙄) till then. Thank you and also to @crystaleyesd for asking Juergen for the eggs idea *chef’s kiss* both

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
oh my god that tamales thing sounds amazing! Do you have a recipe? Mex Grocer has sooo much stuff including an amazing selection of mezcal which is my favourite spirit (but quite dangerous - I went to a mezcal tasting once and everyone was absolutely mental by the end of the night)

I will defs send an update!
Surely you mean everybody was spongled 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Oh god, as if I didn't want to go back to Italy enough already! I haven't been to Ravenna, nearest I got (looking at the map) was Imola and Dozza, had the most amazing risotto I've ever had in Dozza in fact (scallop and saffron). I've been to the Adriatic but further south - Silvi Marina - AMAZING beaches, such clear water, ugh ugh I feel like booking a flight right now!
@Veronicaaa are you me??? What the duck I was about to reply saying my favourite childhood holiday was Silvi Marina, I can’t believe you’ve been. I’m actually flabbergasted!!!!!!!!!

I’ve also been to Cattolica too, that sea is just perfect 👌🏻

• Haha
  • Wow

Oh gosh, Italy truly has my heart. I spent a month in Umbria (in the little town of Doglio) a couple of years ago which has torta al testo, which is similar to a piadina and is deeeelicious. One of my saddest corona cancellations was not being able to go on an all expenses paid holiday (ostensibly a writing 'workshop') to a medieval abbey cum agriturismo in Lazio. I pushed hard for it to be postponed til next year, but in the end they cancelled it and said we could come to the Netherlands instead - NOT the same 😭. Immediately putting Ravenna on the list.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
@Veronicaaa are you me??? What the duck I was about to reply saying my favourite childhood holiday was Silvi Marina, I can’t believe you’ve been. I’m actually flabbergasted!!!!!!!!!

Triangulation: complete.
You are ... each other.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29

Have you ever been to Barga? Most Scottish village in Italy (but don't let that put you off 😂, it's a magical place).

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Favourite long pasta: tripoline
Favourite short pasta: orecchiette
Favourite for a pasta salad: conchiglie

Do any of you watch Pasta Grannies on YouTube?

• Heart
Have you ever been to Barga? Most Scottish village in Italy (but don't let that put you off 😂, it's a magical place).
No, but funnily enough my friend’s family it from there and my exes family too! I’ve been about an hour from there to Forte di Marmi. Aw I miss Italy 😕 The only place I’ve been to in Italy and disappointed in was Milan. Felt like it was for Americans. I loved Sicily ❤

• Heart
I love Italy too, we had been planning a family holiday to Viareggio this year, cancelled for obvious reasons. ETA No need for me to moan I have been there so often, the most important thing is that we are healthy and have jobs at the moment.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
I've just had some dal for lunch. Lovely, but no photo because the nature of dal means it always looks a bit Jack Monroe-esque.

Best chocolate? The Lindt balls at Christmas that come in about 10 different flavours and you can make a fancy pick & mix from them. My bank balance is delighted they're only available at Christmas!

I'm quite peeved today as I was supposed to be meeting up with a guy I was dating earlier in the summer. For various reasons he has pissed me off enormously, so the main goal of this meeting (from my point of view anyway) was to turn him down for sex. Sadly he told me he's not gonna make it forva characteristically inane reason, and asked to reschedule. I said, "eh, let's not". So now no evil satisfaction for me today!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.