Food & Drink #4 Any herb will do

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ooh I LOVE italy. It’s genuinely the only other place in the world I could see my self living. I try and go every year (obviously not this year bloody COVID). My favourite place is Sicily, mostly for the street food, it’s cheap and bloody incredible. I could live off their arancini.
I also discovered a pistachio chocolate spread and these pistachio brittle type things while I was there. Seriously chefs kiss, incredible

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Another Italy fanatic here! I am lucky in that one of my best friends from uni is Italian, his family live just outside of Rome, so a group of us would go and stay with them after exams every year. It is also my go-to holiday destination, went to Sicily for the first time in November and bloody loved it. We were meant to be going to the bay of Naples this year but luckily we were going to do it as a last minute deal so didn't have to cancel anything....I'm sad though! I dunno if it's from being part Italian or just a general love of it but whenever I go I feel a weird sort of connection to it, that I don't experience anywhere else. I would say it feels like coming home but I don't live there (as much as I'd love to!) so I'll say I just feel....right? as soon as I get there. I also just remembered I ditched rice from the carb family, and just thought of arancini, so my dilemma is open again.

ETA I have exciting news fraus!! I just had a call about a job I applied for (directly, not via an agency) and I have a telephone interview tomorrow! Trying not to get my hopes up too high as I know that the market is very tough at the moment but it's basically doing the side of my role I'm passionate about but a step up from where I am now - and in the perfect location. Keeping all my fingers and hooves crossed!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
Another Italy fanatic here! I am lucky in that one of my best friends from uni is Italian, his family live just outside of Rome, so a group of us would go and stay with them after exams every year. It is also my go-to holiday destination, went to Sicily for the first time in November and bloody loved it. We were meant to be going to the bay of Naples this year but luckily we were going to do it as a last minute deal so didn't have to cancel anything....I'm sad though! I dunno if it's from being part Italian or just a general love of it but whenever I go I feel a weird sort of connection to it, that I don't experience anywhere else. I would say it feels like coming home but I don't live there (as much as I'd love to!) so I'll say I just feel....right? as soon as I get there. I also just remembered I ditched rice from the carb family, and just thought of arancini, so my dilemma is open again.

ETA I have exciting news fraus!! I just had a call about a job I applied for (directly, not via an agency) and I have a telephone interview tomorrow! Trying not to get my hopes up too high as I know that the market is very tough at the moment but it's basically doing the side of my role I'm passionate about but a step up from where I am now - and in the perfect location. Keeping all my fingers and hooves crossed!
Would you say Italy was ... the motherland? 😉

Mille congratulations on your interview. Good luck!

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Would you say Italy was ... the motherland? 😉

Mille congratulations on your interview. Good luck!
Haha I would! Although very diluted over the generations. Prob more Irish and English than anything else now but I hold on to the Italiano like a dog holds onto a bone. Mainly cos my cousins from the other side are all incredibly beautiful with their Irish features so I like to console myself with "yeah they may be beauties but I have Italian and they don't so nerrrr" (god I'm a child). Thank you for the congrats/luck too!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Sicily is so wonderful! My lockdown TV binge has been the Inspector Montalbano series which is a detective show set in Sicily. It's full of Italian stereotypes - mafia crimes, gorgeous women (and some men), stunning scenery, amazing food, and gorgeous old houses. And I could listen to Italian speaking all day (fave language after Russian) :love:

Lunch was... THE DONER. And like, I'm no expert, but does authentic Turkish doner have chips in it?? Maybe I picked a touristy place (couldn't find the ~authentic~ backstreet one I'd researched) but I was *not* expecting it. It was bloody delicious though - I get the appeal! Also got to flirt with Mehmet the cute waiter 💅

DSC_0185.JPG

Eeee crossing all of my fingers and toes and legs for you @Jay-cloth Cow (and @LavaFlake - I don't think I said it before!)!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
Sicily is so wonderful! My lockdown TV binge has been the Inspector Montalbano series which is a detective show set in Sicily. It's full of Italian stereotypes - mafia crimes, gorgeous women (and some men), stunning scenery, amazing food, and gorgeous old houses. And I could listen to Italian speaking all day (fave language after Russian) :love:

Lunch was... THE DONER. And like, I'm no expert, but does authentic Turkish doner have chips in it?? Maybe I picked a touristy place (couldn't find the ~authentic~ backstreet one I'd researched) but I was *not* expecting it. It was bloody delicious though - I get the appeal! Also got to flirt with Mehmet the cute waiter 💅

View attachment 203711

Eeee crossing all of my fingers and toes and legs for you @Jay-cloth Cow (and @LavaFlake - I don't think I said it before!)!
Thank you and that looks amazing!! I think it's a Greek thing to have chips in a wrap? I could be wrong but I remember having one years ago in Greece but they could have just been catering for tourists.

Reactions: 7
Haha I would! Although very diluted over the generations. Prob more Irish and English than anything else now but I hold on to the Italiano like a dog holds onto a bone. Mainly cos my cousins from the other side are all incredibly beautiful with their Irish features so I like to console myself with "yeah they may be beauties but I have Italian and they don't so nerrrr" (god I'm a child). Thank you for the congrats/luck too!
Ha don’t you dare - I still have the image of you dressed like a cosy and beautiful Russian in your shot girl outfit burned into my brain 😂❤

• Haha

View attachment 203711

No, Doener does not have chips in it, as long as it tasted nice and Mehmet was a cutie, who gives a hoot, or was it a squeal? 😉

Ha don’t you dare - I still have the image of you dressed like a cosy and beautiful Russian in your shot girl outfit burned into my brain 😂❤
@Jay-cloth Cow was that you dressed in that white outfit as a "shot girl"? These threads move so fast. If it was you, you looked adorable.

Last edited:
  • Haha
No, Doener does not have chips in it, as long as it tasted nice and Mehmet was a cutie, who gives a hoot, or was it a squeal? 😉

@Jay-cloth Cow was that you dressed in that white outfit as a "shot girl"? These threads move so fast. If it was you, you looked adorable.
Ha that was me! It was about 10 years ago though so I'm a bit fatter (bloomin' lockdown) and less glam than I was then!!!

• Heart
Hurrah, lots of virtual fingers crossed for you.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
You know, I really dislike surf 'n' terf. It's a disgusting flavour of crisp 🔺

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
omg YES, especially the really strong flavoured ones which seem to base their entire personality on the not-the-surf-part.

• Wow
Oooh, I forgot the crisp tasting! I was BUSY yesterday. I have another bag for you fraus tomorrow.

DSC_0188.JPG

ROUND 2: cerezza 'sinema' flavour?? (turned out they were cheese and onion - likely a controversial choice amongst the cabal)

TASTING NOTES: Immediately cheesy in that deliciously fake way, with strong savoury bottom notes that linger on the tongue. The onion comes in right at the end and is very mild - so much so that only a sophisticated crisp palate such as mine could ascertain its presence - and offers an exquisite piquancy to the roundness of the cheese.

MOUTHFEEL: Each 'crisp' (again, are these crisps or do they belong to a broader 'corn snack' family?) differs vastly in size and shape which produces a delightful feeling of anticipation as each one is inserted into the mouth without looking (I was eating these on a boat and enjoying the view). The knobbles (nobbles??) offer a topographic purchase for one's tongue which provides an enjoyable eating experience.

AESTHETIC: Think larger nik-naks and, whilst still crunchy, are lighter than the nobbly hardness of a classic nik-nak. They also lack the orange day-glo colour of the aforementioned British snack.

VERDICT: Very nice! Perhaps it was the fact I hadn't eaten for hours, but I snarfed down half a bag of these and almost spoiled my dinner. I was initially dubious as I'm not the biggest fan of cheese and onion, but these were more like an intensely savoury, cheesy nik-nak, and that is surely no bad thing. 7/10.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
Ha that was me! It was about 10 years ago though so I'm a bit fatter (bloomin' lockdown) and less glam than I was then!!!
Important Disclaimer- I am a boring married wife with 2 small sprogs. You really looked so very beautiful.

• Heart
Oooh, I forgot the crisp tasting! I was BUSY yesterday. I have another bag for you fraus tomorrow.

View attachment 203731

ROUND 2: cerezza 'sinema' flavour?? (turned out they were cheese and onion - likely a controversial choice amongst the cabal)

TASTING NOTES: Immediately cheesy in that deliciously fake way, with strong savoury bottom notes that linger on the tongue. The onion comes in right at the end and is very mild - so much so that only a sophisticated crisp palate such as mine could ascertain its presence - and offers an exquisite piquancy to the roundness of the cheese.

MOUTHFEEL: Each 'crisp' (again, are these crisps or do they belong to a broader 'corn snack' family?) differs vastly in size and shape which produces a delightful feeling of anticipation as each one is inserted into the mouth without looking (I was eating these on a boat and enjoying the view). The knobbles (nobbles??) offer a topographic purchase for one's tongue which provides an enjoyable eating experience.

AESTHETIC: Think larger nik-naks and, whilst still crunchy, are lighter than the nobbly hardness of a classic nik-nak. They also lack the orange day-glo colour of the aforementioned British snack.

VERDICT: Very nice! Perhaps it was the fact I hadn't eaten for hours, but I snarfed down half a bag of these and almost spoiled my dinner. I was initially dubious as I'm not the biggest fan of cheese and onion, but these were more like an intensely savoury, cheesy nik-nak, and that is surely no bad thing. 7/10.
I LOVE YOU and everything you do.

• Heart
  • Haha
I like watching cooking videos as much as anyone, but this one popped up on my Facebook feed and I am so confused. If I went to someone's house and they served this...well... it's not as bad as Cookist videos (pudge pudge everything has ham and cheese and is pudged) but... why not just have a nice wrap?

• Sick
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
The worst pasta shape is undoubtedly farfalle - the scrunched up bit in the middle remains hard if you want the pasta al dente, and if you cook it for longer the 'wings' go floppy. Conchiglie I like for marmite butter pasta actually, as the sauce and cheese get caught in the shell!
Action man bowties?!

• Haha
  • Heart
Feeling distinctly like the un-fancy Frau that has never been to Italy nor is part Italian (I'm a gypsy though that's mysterious and interesting right? Isn't it?? 😢) Ah I'm just boring 😂

Thornton's chocolate definitely was the fancy choc when I was young but I am happy that you can now buy their fudge and toffee in the Co-op for a quid 👍

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.