Food & Drink #12 Willies and mash

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh god. What a night for you both ❤ Huge hug.
He sounds utterly wrung-out the poor man. As much as you can sound anything via text. I'm feeling sick now, but that's too much caffeine, fear, adrenaline and fretting for you.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
I have got myself an update. MrF texted. He got seen really quickly, but was taken v ill (spare you the details) almost as soon as he got through triage. Got seen after that by surgical team who did lots of tests and asked him 'why he waited so long' to come in. COVID no visitor rules have spared them my potentially sarcastic reply to that question. He's feeling better after some meds, but being admitted overnight to start with for obs and presumably some sort of diagnosis. Am just working out whether I can drop stuff off for him. Not on ward yet as waiting for COVID test.
As awful as it all is, at least it sounds like things are actually moving in the right direction towards him getting better now which should bring you some comfort.

Surely you'd be able to drop things off for him, or else what do they expect people to do? Although who knows what you'd even be allowed to take these days.

Hopefully you manage to get some rest even if it's not full sleep, last thing you need is to be making yourself ill too.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
He sounds utterly wrung-out the poor man. As much as you can sound anything via text. I'm feeling sick now, but that's too much caffeine, fear, adrenaline and fretting for you.
It’s so hard when someone you love is going through something scary and unknown and you can’t be there with him. I really, really feel for you. I hope you can hear more from him tomorrow. Lots of love. Wish there was more I could do to help x x x x

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Aww bless you, it's horrid when you have to just wait but you are probably best off trying your best to sleep so you can be ready to spring into action in the morning. I wish Covid would Foxtrot Oscar so that everyone can see each other again without fear.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
It’s so hard when someone you love is going through something scary and unknown and you can’t be there with him. I really, really feel for you. I hope you can hear more from him tomorrow. Lots of love. Wish there was more I could do to help x x x x
You guys just letting me ramble on this evening and sending lovely wishes has been more help than you could know. I really appreciate it. xxxx

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I did get a bit pointy armed while booking him in at Reception, because I needed them to understand he wasn't being a drama queen about the pain. I felt so bad about it I went and bought chocolates while getting petrol on the way back here, so when I have to go back I can give them to reception staff for putting up with me, though I was very polite and kept apologising for my persistence while persisting. Who knows if they are even allowed to take such things, but I had major guilt for not being all stiff upper lip about things.
Flumps - the chocolates are a nice idea, but don’t think you have to be “stiff upper lip” about your partner. When my mum went into hospital in August the exchange of information was terrible. We only got answers to direct questions. But how are you supposed to know the questions to ask?
You have the right to be kept informed, especially if your partner can’t contact you because of the amount of pain he is in.
Try and look after yourself.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Just realised I've previously mentioned a different medical thing over on the MT and am now cringing myself inside out. The winter fuel money of naive twitterers is safe from me, I promise.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
Ok, all sensible fraus should be in bed by now, but I am going to do an update because I am too wired to sleep for a little bit. I have just got back from the hospital after delivering my bag of PJs and phone chargers. The bloody *lovely* nurses let me in to the ward and because he is in a room by himself, they let me spend some time with him. Shhh... don't tell the rule people.

While I was there, the doctor came back with scan results. I think @heretoreaditall2019 had appendicitis in the unofficial 'What's up with MrF sweepstake'. Except, it's not appendicitis any more, more a great big explosion of horribleness and abscesses and infections. It had probably already burst on Friday (or that was imminent), when we first went to A&E, so I am just going to sit on that for a while or it will make me cross. But now he's on all the IV antibiotics, they've rehydrated him (so dehydrated his kidneys were starting to suffer) and they will be keeping him in for a while, while all that does its job. I am relieved, horrified and a bit shakey. He looks 100x better already, I think because they've already given him nearly 2l of fluid since he's been in, and it is just so good to hear him talking and being more him. I didn't know how scared I was until I stopped being quite so scared and I am not going to think about what might have happened if I hadn't made him ring his GP this morning and if she hadn't sent us back to hospital. Doctor we saw was super cheerful and chatty so I think she thinks they have it all under control, but omg.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Oh @Flumps. I’m so sorry MrF is back in hospital. Do try not to think about all the what ifs. You did have him call his GP and he is exactly where he should be right now. It sounds like they’re doing all the right things to get him on the mend. I’m sorry I have nothing more helpful to say. I know naff all about appendicitis beyond the basics but I understand how worried you must be. I hope you get some sleep tonight.

• Heart
Ok, all sensible fraus should be in bed by now, but I am going to do an update because I am too wired to sleep for a little bit. I have just got back from the hospital after delivering my bag of PJs and phone chargers. The bloody *lovely* nurses let me in to the ward and because he is in a room by himself, they let me spend some time with him. Shhh... don't tell the rule people.

While I was there, the doctor came back with scan results. I think @heretoreaditall2019 had appendicitis in the unofficial 'What's up with MrF sweepstake'. Except, it's not appendicitis any more, more a great big explosion of horribleness and abscesses and infections. It had probably already burst on Friday (or that was imminent), when we first went to A&E, so I am just going to sit on that for a while or it will make me cross. But now he's on all the IV antibiotics, they've rehydrated him (so dehydrated his kidneys were starting to suffer) and they will be keeping him in for a while, while all that does its job. I am relieved, horrified and a bit shakey. He looks 100x better already, I think because they've already given him nearly 2l of fluid since he's been in, and it is just so good to hear him talking and being more him. I didn't know how scared I was until I stopped being quite so scared and I am not going to think about what might have happened if I hadn't made him ring his GP this morning and if she hadn't sent us back to hospital. Doctor we saw was super cheerful and chatty so I think she thinks they have it all under control, but omg.
This sounds positive, how are you both feeling? That’s amazing you were able to talk to his doctor! I hope you’re asleep but if not you’ve got the night feed fraus to keep you company x

• Heart

Hope your partner is doing well, know too well the gut wrenching worry of a loved one in hospital 💗

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Oh goodness @Flumps, it all sounds like a very worrying experience. I'm glad you got to talk to him, and that he's getting proper help now.

• Heart
which slings do you guys have please? I have the baby ktan the pre wrapped cloth one which she loved as a newborn, but our problem is she’s the size of an average 6 month old so she’s heaaavy. I was going to get the baby bjorn structured ones but have heard babies either love or hate them which has made me procrastinate actually purchasing one!

@EddieBeds so glad you got some sleep!! I love hearing your updates it’s so comforting tbh, and thank you re thumb I’m still traumatised 😫 funnily she’s absolutely fine with being left alone now thank god, she’ll fall asleep in her electronic swinger or lying down on sofa (I’m always next to her so she doesn’t roll), even at night. The first 5-ish weeks were legit torture where she wouldn’t though, and I’d have nightmares like yours where I was just constantly sleep deprived! Once you get solid blocks of sleep again that’ll stop, I’ve not had one in weeks.

omg could you imagine all these cute thread babies hanging out with each other 🥰 although when baby met another baby she was more interested in the ceiling than her fellow tiny being 😫

For dinner did the Miguel Smokey mackerel taco! Inspired by @Alansbigplate and sharing a pic, I added a guac I made myself after the pic cos otherwise it would have just been a green pic. Didn’t have spring onions so cut up some iceberg lettuce as a ~maverick~ watery crunch. Ngl just ate this with chips.
Our first was a chunky babe so he didn’t last long in a stretchy sling so we then, through the local sling library borrowed a few different ones to try (after borrowing the stretchy sling) and work out what suited. This was useful as sometimes your body shape etc can effect how a sling fits - so for example I’m quite booby but narrow shouldered so some didn’t fit me right if that makes sense? We have a Lillebaby carrier - think it’s the ‘Complete original’ which I love - it’s easy to get on by myself and can be used through to toddlerhood. The baby loves it as he is smaller than the toddler ever was and can (safely) be fairly tucked up. I have no idea if Sling Libraries are operating at the moment due to Covid but could be worth seeing if you have one nearby and if they are purely to try a few different styles? If not there might be some baby wearing groups on FB that have good recommendations and aren’t just influencers trying to flog stuff.

Re: sleep - I’m hoping once we’re over the hump of 5/6 weeks it might settle a bit. I was lucky with my first that he slept well overnight from about 6-8weeks and then by 12 weeks pretty much slept through the majority of the time. But fully aware subsequent children can be like welcoming in the devil 😂.

Ha I can imagine a mini coven of babes well versed in influencer bullshit and slop detecting! Like you say initially they’ll be more interested in everything around them as opposed to each other!

big love to you @Flumps

so far this evening, I've beaten both teams at their walls on only connect and I'm just waiting to get something right on university challenge 🙂
I love it when I manage to do the wall on Only Connect. The missing vowels round I either ace or can’t get a single one!

@Flumps - really pleased they let you on the ward to see your partner and that you got to speak to his Dr. As others have said try not to think to much of the ‘what ifs’, though that isn’t to detract from how frightened it must have made you. Hopefully, now Mr Flumps is in the right place, getting the right attention he’ll get the right treatment and be on the road to recovery soon.

@Pixieboots - so sorry to hear this. It must feel quite overwhelming at the moment not quite knowing what the future holds. Hoping your Dr is supporting you/you’re under a good team who will help you navigate this/find the right treatment.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
After a quick first thing read of a certain guardian article i decided not to go to the MT and headed here instead....

@Flumps , I am so sorry about what you have been through. It sounds horrendous but at least you got to see him and get some answers. I know it is easy to get angry but get angry at cupboards to clean etc that will love the brunt of your fury!

@emm , it is rubbish about your job. No other words really COVID can do one and @Pixieboots i hope you get lots of support regarding your diagnosis.

Last night we had a soya burger with sautéed savoy made with mustard and a quorn vegan ham slice (like bacon) whosoever idea it was (sorry, i can’t for the life of me remember) it was fabulous 🤗🤗🤗.

When the oven was on..... I cooked baked potatoes for wed and a curry for tonight (sorry, old habits die hard, I only use the oven a couple of times a week). There may be a curry pic 😶.

Oh, and for true crime fans, the tunnel household happened upon a documentary on Amazon about the Laci Peterson murder. It is VERY American but has me clawing my eyes out.

• Heart
@Flumps hope you managed to get a bit of sleep and Mr Flumps is feeling a lot better today. Sounds like they're (finally) on top of it, everything crossed for him.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
@Flumps hoping you've had some rest. Remember to let all normal sleep and eating habits go out the window if they need to when you're stressed. Try intuitive eating, and take lots of dinosaur naps whenever you can.

I echo what @EddieBeds says about sling libraries, they're fab. I'm quite slight and my other half is much broader so we had quite a faff finding the right one until the nice sling library lady helped us out. Our local one is still operating but appointment only I think, and offer advice, videos etc through Facebook. They also sell loads second hand. @heretoreaditall2019 not sure which area you're in but might be worth a look, see if you can try a few different ones?

• Heart
@Dustye & @EddieBeds thank you for sling library recs, we do have one but I’d assumed it would only cover those proper hippy cloth long wraps? We have the same huge size disparity issue, I’m not against buying two but will wait for when we can go out and about more as there’s no point now with the country on cusp of second lock down 😫

Eddie - week 6 is hell but transformative! In that week I was like omg the only way to survive this is truly one day at a time, witching hour was hell on earth, her sleep was awful, but after that I was like omg who is this independent little woman, she felt like a new grown up baby! We’re on our second leap at week 11/12 and it’s similar, lord help us 😫

Off out today into mainstream society to go bathroom shopping with my plumber! It was really bizarre getting quotes cos it was filled with traaazers on a bird moments, one bloke wanted to come back to speak to my husband about it all 🥴 Will share anything interesting from my ventures, like a tit @crystaleyesd x

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
@Dustye & @EddieBeds thank you for sling library recs, we do have one but I’d assumed it would only cover those proper hippy cloth long wraps? We have the same huge size disparity issue, I’m not against buying two but will wait for when we can go out and about more as there’s no point now with the country on cusp of second lock down 😫

Eddie - week 6 is hell but transformative! In that week I was like omg the only way to survive this is truly one day at a time, witching hour was hell on earth, her sleep was awful, but after that I was like omg who is this independent little woman, she felt like a new grown up baby! We’re on our second leap at week 11/12 and it’s similar, lord help us 😫

Off out today into mainstream society to go bathroom shopping with my plumber! It was really bizarre getting quotes cos it was filled with traaazers on a bird moments, one bloke wanted to come back to speak to my husband about it all 🥴 Will share anything interesting from my ventures, like a tit @crystaleyesd x
I used the Chicco Easyfit carrier which is a structured carrier and really easy to put on. Pops over your head then just tighten. Mr NP had a fancy cloth wrap thing that I couldn’t get on with.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.