Food & Drink #12 Willies and mash

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This has made me cackle, there are video profiles now?! Is it like when you see those 80s dating agency videos in movies?!

This would be such a fun day out! Love Ole & Steen too, the staff in the Piccadilly Circus branch have the patience of saints and I appreciate that they let you skip the ticketed queue system if you’re a regular. The rye bread is amazing, loved the prawn-y thing they did on it, and the cheesy mushroom flatbread things (don’t know the name of it). The cinnamon swirls are SO good but impossible to eat a whole one. The potato focaccia is amazing too although I hated that they kept it by the entrance, uncovered! 🤮 Why oh why has covid ruined everything!

Out of interest what do you make of crosstown donuts Mustard? I like that their Brick Lane store is open til 10ish so you’ve got somewhere to go after work that isn’t a pub & they do a free hot drink with your donut..
I like their doughnuts very much but I’ve only had them from Brockley Market and Victoria. When I go to Brick Lane, I’m after bagels!

Reactions: 11
They have a new box that looks amaziiing, just the idea of spending £35 on 6 donuts during a global recession come never ending pandemic is a bit 🥴

Sorry to hear about fraus under stricter lockdown rules. It feels never ending, I’ve written 2021 off now too.

View attachment 292813
Sweet Jesus I would pawn a grandparent for a box of these. I’ve had the matcha one (possibly limited edition) and it was bomb.

In my old job I used to be in London a lot for work and I’d just started dating my fella and he LOVES doughnuts and on a very early date I took him a box of 6 (I have no idea how I managed not to eat any: I suppose I was training pretty hard at the time and obv concerned about how I looked naked) but they looked and smelled bleeping SUBLIME.

Anyway we’re getting married so thanks, Crosstown.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 24
she would love it if we were all like that, wouldn't she!

Ohhh not tonight but last night i fried squash in panko and stuffed them in homemade corn tortillas with lime crema, guac, jalapeño hot sauce, pickled shallots, pumpkin seeds and radishes and they were gooooood. I miss the lovely natural evening light of the summer!
Bloody hell Blurst you are a food angel. Next time I’m in your neck of the woods I’m banging on your door and asking for some grub. Hope that’s okay with you.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Delighted to see so many in the same boat re thoughts on the MT! Lovely stuff (here not there).

Big yes to Crosstown donuts. Their vegan ones are amazing too.

As of midnight I can only go 1km from the front door. Is cabin fever a thing when you’re allowed outside? 😰

• Heart
I’ve not tried Crosstown doughnuts but seen them mentioned a lot of SortedFood’s channel. They look so good!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I can’t be arsed with farted around with donuts. Bag of 50p sugary jam ones and I’m in heaven

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Someone at my work has a fear of jam!? When they’d bring treats in it was always custard donuts. I’m sorry marmite dear but that’s just wrong
I get so annoyed by people having stupid fears. I had a friend once who was scared of buttons. Buttons?! I was very unsympathetic.

I do love jam on my toast, but donuts are a bit ~special~. As is custard.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
There's a bakery chain, native to Sarf London/borders called Coughlans that makes the best jam doughnuts (dipped in caster sugar) in the whole wide world. They also used to make an amazing one with cream in the middle and a toffee icing (they may still do, but I haven't seen them in one for years).

Sainsers jam doughnuts are a good substitute though. Apart from aforementioned cream one, I am quite happy with a standard jam doughnut, or just a sugary ring. Ahem.

At my secondary school they didn't provide lunches, kitchen was too small, everyone had to bring their own, but they did sell jam doughnuts every morning at break for 20p.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
doughnut stories:

1: when I was a little oz, we always used to go to the sunday market on the quayside in my hometown. one time, I had a bag of lovely fresh warm mini doughnuts, ate about half and thought I'd keep some for later. i was holding hands with my dad and he kinda swung me down some steps. the bottom of the bag was quite greasy and it gave way on impact, spilling doughnuts everywhere. a passing navy cadet was heard to say, "first there were doughnuts and then there were no nuts" 😪

2: working in transport at a sweets factory in my new hometown, our bosses got us some bags of doughnuts as a thank(space)you for a good week's work. somehow, I ended up in a dare to eat the most doughnuts. I bought more from the canteen when gifted supplies ran dry. readers, I ate ten doughnuts that afternoon. I did not need my dinner/tea/whatever that day

ps MT - have I gone mad? or is the decent stuff she's done this evening being glossed over in favour of slagging off eat well for less???

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I think people will say anything as long as it’s the opposite of whatever she’s up to at any given moment 🤷🏻‍♀️ The no nuts line made me hoot!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
I think people will say anything as long as it’s the opposite of whatever she’s up to at any given moment 🤷🏻‍♀️ The no nuts line made me hoot!
it's been 84 years and I can still picture that dude. proper deadpan geordie too. I still weep for my doughnuts too. 😭

and, yes completely agree to the first part of your post ❤

• Heart
it's been 84 years and I can still picture that dude. proper deadpan geordie too. I still weep for my doughnuts too. 😭

and, yes completely agree to the first part of your post ❤
I’m hearing it in my head in a lovely Geordie accent ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 9
@Flumps, I understand you don't want to share your partner's diagnosis. Am not speculating and am only posting it as it may help others and may be far away from your situation.

My son was hospitalised a couple of months due to high temperature and severe abdominal pain. His diagnosis was a common bowel condition, diverticulitis.

He was just given the advice to eat more fibre. When he got home after whatever he had to eat he was in agony. We checked Dr Google and he went on a clear fluid diet for a few days (just water, apple juice and clear broth). After that added scrambled eggs, custard and other low fibre things. After a few more days he was able to introduce normal food gradually and it now eating healthily and with more fibre. He also takes a good quality probiotic capsule and multivitamin.

Touch wood he has had no further flare ups and has taken it a a wake up call. He is also eating far more of the food I prepare rather than coming home with a pizza or fried chicken!
This is useful, I have diverticulitis myself and I've had serveral flare ups, in fact I'm having one now, I haven't gone down the probiotic route yet.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Here for the doughnut talk, couldn't imagine spending a huge amount but these (I mentioned on an earlier thread) are the bomb.

Got two earlier this year for 50p each as they discount after 6pm. Have not been in Waitrose since early March but have had some delivered at full price, worth every penny!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
That price is for a dozen, no? It's definitely not almost £6 a doughnut when you go in store!

If you can make it to a store then I'd do that and you can choose from their whole range.
They have two price bands their normal and premium donuts, think for the premium it is £35 for 6! I live near a store but sadly essentially shielding 😫

Sweet Jesus I would pawn a grandparent for a box of these. I’ve had the matcha one (possibly limited edition) and it was bomb.

In my old job I used to be in London a lot for work and I’d just started dating my fella and he LOVES doughnuts and on a very early date I took him a box of 6 (I have no idea how I managed not to eat any: I suppose I was training pretty hard at the time and obv concerned about how I looked naked) but they looked and smelled bleeping SUBLIME.

Anyway we’re getting married so thanks, Crosstown.
a colleague was OBSESSED with the matcha ones, I’ve never tried it as surely it just tastes like tea?! Also didn’t know you were due to be married! Have you made plans? x

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.