Food and Drink #53

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm watching Australian urban exploration videos tonight and none of them seem adequately concerned about deadly wildlife when poking about abandoned buildings and theme parks and the like.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Does anyone have good recommendations for a TV series or film to stream? I'm bored.

Not a fan of violence or gore.

Got any interesting humanist stories to suggest?
Ashley Madison story on Netflix
---
I don’t understand those videos you see on social media of people waking up their sleeping cats by waving a prawn in front of them. I only have nudge a cat treat of any sort and hear the THUD of boy cat jumping off the bed.
Hotescat appears at the rustle of a packet!

Reactions: 12
I don’t understand those videos you see on social media of people waking up their sleeping cats by waving a prawn in front of them. I only have nudge a cat treat of any sort and hear the THUD of boy cat jumping off the bed.
If either of us goes within a five mile radius of the cat food cupboard, we find ourselves being tripped up by one or both of the teapot cats.

Said cat food cupboard is in our downstairs loo - we’ve got rather used to being accompanied/practicing our door closing reflexes - but unsuspecting guests can get quite unnerved when they discover they’ve got an audience…

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I'm watching Australian urban exploration videos tonight and none of them seem adequately concerned about deadly wildlife when poking about abandoned buildings and theme parks and the like.
I grew up next to a creek, we were always down there catching yabbies and lizards. It's pretty rare in most suburban areas to see a snake in the wild. Except for the family next door who found a Brown Snek (super deadly despite the boring name) curled up on their back step.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Does anyone have good recommendations for a TV series or film to stream? I'm bored.

Not a fan of violence or gore.

Got any interesting humanist stories to suggest?
(Disney) and
Amazon Prime
are both very funny and thoughtful and contemporary, but truthfully I've spent a lot of time recently wallowing in nostalgia and knitting through ER from the beginning, which obviously includes a lot of medical gore so is probably not what you want.
(sorry, just seen that you don't have Disney!)

Reactions: 7
Most of Michael Palin's back catalogue is on BBC iPlayer and we've recently been working our way through them in order.

It's quite interesting seeing him travel 30 odd years ago, it's silly but it really emphasises how completely different the world is. Pole to Pole is particularly interesting because he goes through late stage Soviet Union (and then only a few days after leaving, the August coup happened).

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Most of Michael Palin's back catalogue is on BBC iPlayer and we've recently been working our way through them in order.

It's quite interesting seeing him travel 30 odd years ago, it's silly but it really emphasises how completely different the world is. Pole to Pole is particularly interesting because he goes through late stage Soviet Union (and then only a few days after leaving, the August coup happened).
I love watching those. They’re so gentle and wholesome.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I loved The Killing. (The Danish one.)

Love a police procedural. Have binge-watched Rebus and Blue Lights recently which I rate highly. Also The Gathering was really good. All BBC.

Will check out Deadloch, thanks.
I can’t find the danish one to watch. It was the American version, and I liked it a lot. No idea what I put on last night, I fell into the Kate and William thread out of boredom.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
72664697-B4F4-4985-8468-A1BBE1CA05A3.jpeg

I’m in quite a lot of pain again today and worrying about dry sockets.
I think girl cat is trying to make me feel better but this face is pure Mean Girl 😂😂😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
Thanks for all the TV recommendations friends.

Started watching Deadloch last night and it's a winner. A quirky and funny take on the small town murder mystery.

Highly recommend re-watching Schitts Creek as needed. It's been my go-to for the last couple of years every time I need a pick-me-up.

Also, yes to watching Michael Palin. His interview on This Cultural Life recently was great too.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I love watching those. They’re so gentle and wholesome.
Regularly find myself in awe at his ability to connect with strangers (and also harness the power of physical comedy to bridge language barriers)

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Hello Fraus,

I’m very hungover today. It’s 1:15pm in the UK, we’re still in bed. I’ve got a glass of San Pelegrino limonata for some energy and all I can think of is stodgy food. I want something like pie and mash but I don’t have any and SHANT be going outside today so will have to find something else to satisfy me. Maybe I’ll make some fried rice.
what’s your perfect veggie comfort food?

• Heart
Hello Fraus,

I’m very hungover today. It’s 1:15pm in the UK, we’re still in bed. I’ve got a glass of San Pelegrino limonata for some energy and all I can think of is stodgy food. I want something like pie and mash but I don’t have any and SHANT be going outside today so will have to find something else to satisfy me. Maybe I’ll make some fried rice.
If you eat cheese, mixing leftover veg and mash with huge amounts of cheese and baking is my number one comfort food.
But…Risotto would be nice as you have rice.

• Heart
If you eat cheese, mixing leftover veg and mash with huge amounts of cheese and baking is my number one comfort food.
But…Risotto would be nice as you have rice.
You could add a beaten egg or two into your mash and veg before baking too. Makes it souffle-ish.

One of my favourite carbo meals is pasta with tomato sauce and lots of cheese. Just an onion or two softly cooked in oil with garlic, then a tin of tomatoes or passata, low and slow. Bit of sugar, salt and pepper. Add chillis or olives or tuna or peppers or whatever you like to change it up. The tomatoes are good for you and the rest is comfort.

Reactions: 6
Hello Fraus,

Strata, using a very basic ancient recipe (actually on paper torn from The Guardian inthe 1980s, Richard Ehrlich's column) - basically just bread pudding with cheese and onion, eggs and milk.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.