Food and Drink #53

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Went to my favourite Greek Cypriot cafe for lunch today, as I had an unexpected day off. Delicious halloumi and falafel platter with lovely home-made tzatziki. No bollock sausages, cheapo hybrid meat dishes or fishy eggs involved.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Cold down here, currently in my super soft dressing gown with Susan snuggled at my elbow.
I think it's a day for cups of tea and maybe watch a film.
1716672250941.png

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
Cold down here, currently in my super soft dressing gown with Susan snuggled at my elbow.
I think it's a day for cups of tea and maybe watch a film.
View attachment 2957307
I didn’t know it got that cold! Stay cosy. Such is my ignorance of Aus. I know Tasmania can be cool from watching Deadloch though. Has anyone else watched it? I watched it twice!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Screenshot_20240525_223701_Gallery.jpg

I was out for dinner in Celerytown earlier. Fans of Inspector Rebus might wish to know that the building with the blue windows is St Leonards police station. There is (or was) a firing range in the building, and sometimes locals 🍉 could hear the pew pew sounds echoing off the tenement walls when the streets got quiet at night.

Also I took this photo after 8pm and it was still pretty light at 10ish before the rain got too heavy.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Hey, are you all okay? It appears the last post is 13 hours ago.

Don't make me tell you a boring Wooh story!

Edinburgh looks lovely, @Hollaaa !

I'll do a short boring story in a not-story way.

Often, at Watermelon Retreat, Chef Boy asks "what's your..."

On Friday he asked, "Wooh and [Watermelon]; what's your superpower?"

And me, the Peri-M cow that I am, said, oh well I'm filled with self loathing yet still manage to find moments of happiness each day.

And he was SILENT.

Baahhaaaaa. Honestly it was funny!

In other non-news:

Ponies
Coffee
Falafel
Tea
Cat
Sleep
Ponies
Happy
Enough
On holidays from WR till 4 June
No confusion a la @mchops
Go team Tattle F&D!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
My face really really hurts today. But the air fryer has arrived! We only got the one drawer so I’m hoping that will do us.

• Heart
My face really really hurts today. But the air fryer has arrived! We only got the one drawer so I’m hoping that will do us.
It'll be great 😃
---
I didn’t know it got that cold! Stay cosy. Such is my ignorance of Aus. I know Tasmania can be cool from watching Deadloch though. Has anyone else watched it? I watched it twice!
We are very hot
Also humid
And freezing cold
We flood
And bushfire
Also blizzard
Sometimes at the same time
We are an island
And a continent
We have poems about this
Aged round mountains
Rainforests
And platypus
Australia is very good; and
Simultaneously really harsh
I would live in Scotland, Denmark, or NYC but
Mostly I really love Australia
We are also filled with imperfect people: sorry

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Hullo ninnies!

I once again fell off these threads when I forgot to watch the new one, but have reappeared as I come possibly needing advice.

Today we have brought home a lovely 2 year old rescue tuxedo boy. (Kestrelcat is currently hiding under the chest of drawers in the spare room). From what the rescue can tell me, he's not had a terrible upbringing, but was in an irresponsible multi-animal household (including some very large dogs of a breed currently in the news a lot that he was petrified of 👀 ) and was mostly living outside left to his own devices.
He seems a lovely boy and was very friendly when we went to meet him and collect him from the fosterers this morning. He's so chilled he didn't make a peep the entire car journey home.
The one thing I am worried about is the fosterer says he is very fussy and will only eat ham or chicken (i.e. human ham/chicken, not chicken cat food) with cat biscuits, and cat milk. She said she tried every brand of cat food and he wouldn't touch it so she gave in. She's an experienced fosterer who's been doing it for two decades.
At the fosterers, he was living in an (outdoor, enclosed) pen for two months.
I'm not giving him ham as I've read given the salt content, it's not the best choice for cats. I've got a pack of cooked chicken from Lidl in the fridge for if we get desperate, but I'm loath to give it to him given this might continue the cycle of behaviour? Cat can't live off chicken alone etc. etc. and I want him to be getting a balanced diet. But am I being mean/unreasonable to withhold it straightaway, or should I let him have some to help him settle in?
We raided Pets at Home yesterday and got a selection of individual tins of higher quality chicken based food to try him on - I've left him in the spare bedroom to settle in with half a serving of Lily's chicken and some Whiskas biscuits.
Have any of our cat/rescue cat gurus come across this and have any advice? I'm wondering if he was just scavenging/was weaned on human food. I'm hoping it might be stress/control based behaviour and once he's settled with us, with a bit of patience and tough love, we'll be able to get him on cat food.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Not an expert but what I've done in the past to tempt a poorly cat to eat:
Try the nicer cat food
Get him on prawns or fish (frozen or yellow sticker to avoid bankruptcy) as a substitute for the ham
Then try tinned tuna and do a gradual mix in of tuna flavour cat food until it's more cat food than tuna
As a last resort put lick e lix on/in the cat food to tempt him to try it

Congratulations, he sounds like a lovely boy 😻

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Hullo ninnies!

I once again fell off these threads when I forgot to watch the new one, but have reappeared as I come possibly needing advice.

Today we have brought home a lovely 2 year old rescue tuxedo boy. (Kestrelcat is currently hiding under the chest of drawers in the spare room). From what the rescue can tell me, he's not had a terrible upbringing, but was in an irresponsible multi-animal household (including some very large dogs of a breed currently in the news a lot that he was petrified of 👀 ) and was mostly living outside left to his own devices.
He seems a lovely boy and was very friendly when we went to meet him and collect him from the fosterers this morning. He's so chilled he didn't make a peep the entire car journey home.
The one thing I am worried about is the fosterer says he is very fussy and will only eat ham or chicken (i.e. human ham/chicken, not chicken cat food) with cat biscuits, and cat milk. She said she tried every brand of cat food and he wouldn't touch it so she gave in. She's an experienced fosterer who's been doing it for two decades.
I'm not giving him ham as I've read given the salt content, it's not the best choice for cats. I've got a pack of cooked chicken from Lidl in the fridge for if we get desperate, but I'm loath to give it to him given this might continue the cycle of behaviour? Cat can't live off chicken alone etc. etc. and I want him to be getting a balanced diet. But am I being mean/unreasonable to withhold it straightaway, or should I let him have some to help him settle in?
We raided Pets at Home yesterday and got a selection of individual tins of higher quality chicken based food to try him on - I've left him in the spare bedroom to settle in with half a serving of Lily's chicken and some Whiskas biscuits.
Have any of our cat/rescue cat gurus come across this and have any advice? I'm wondering if he was just scavenging/was weaned on human food. I'm hoping it might be stress/control based behaviour and once he's settled with us, with a bit of patience and tough love, we'll be able to get him on cat food.
Hi, I'm going to give a really brisk hearty response.

My *feeling* is that your new darling will read you, and accept your good, sensible food and all will be well.

Lots of rescues struggle with terror, but no cat has actually starved on a strike. Best of luck, you'll do Great!

I hear he's had a rough time, and now is the time to give all the love hehe nervous laugh and all the "rules".

Warmest love to you all! Another rescue safe and home ❤ 💜

• Heart
Yeah cats don't have the determination of say Bobby Sands. They will eat eventually.

• Haha
Hullo ninnies!

If he’ll eat dry food, just leave him on that? Cats don’t have to eat wet food.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Yeah cats don't have the determination of say Bobby Sands. They will eat eventually.
I sometimes think you are the loud voice of my cultured elegance

BAAHHAAAAHAAAA I'm not elegant.

But Bobby Sands? Have you gone too far? 😲 Who will advise me?!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
If he’ll eat dry food, just leave him on that? Cats don’t have to eat wet food.
oh my god, I just did a figurative facepalm. We had the home visit yesterday and they were so desperate to get him into a home that it's just kind of flown by and suddenly he's here, and in the interim, mad dash round the shops getting cat supplies yesterday evening, and after having a phone chat with the foster mum lots of "cat only eat human food what do?" mad Googling... so it's been quite a whirlwind, although he's perfect for us temperament wise so we both knew he was coming home with us today.
So in all that it completely slipped my mind that a dry only complete diet IS FINE as long as they drink enough water lol

• Heart
oh my god, I just did a figurative facepalm. We had the home visit yesterday and they were so desperate to get him into a home that it's just kind of flown by and suddenly he's here, and in the interim, mad dash round the shops getting cat supplies yesterday evening, and after having a phone chat with the foster mum lots of "cat only eat human food what do?" mad Googling... so it's been quite a whirlwind, although he's perfect for us temperament wise so we both knew he was coming home with us today.
So in all that it completely slipped my mind that a dry only complete diet IS FINE as long as they drink enough water lol
Dill and the ponies and all the eleventy million rescue animals in this thread, well, on their behalf, the love is actively real! Enjoy x

• Heart
Bettycat1 ate only Aldi wet food and loved a bit of chicken or lamb or fish for a treat. Couldn't tolerate dry food (or dreamies) at all.
Bettycat3 conversely eats mostly dry food and some wet but only fish flavours, will have nothing to do with any actual meat or fish.

I think it's largely what they're used to and feel happy eating, just like people.

I very much recommend the silicone drawer liners
---
And I don’t want to harsh on your rescue cat Lilyk, but you should try and get him on catto food, new home new start.
And I”ll bet he’s fine eating Lik e lix and biscuits.

Hotescat has a special diet food for his stress cystitis, but he would eat anything, he’s had a few different types and treats and scarfed them all down. Great! No? No. The issue arises later that day 💩

Last edited:
  • Heart
I sometimes think you are the loud voice of my cultured elegance

BAAHHAAAAHAAAA I'm not elegant.

But Bobby Sands? Have you gone too far? 😲 Who will advise me?!
An incredibly smart person said I was a semi intelligent idiot. i accept that.
So probably too far, or not far enough? Subjective. Lol

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.