Food and Drink #36

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Merry Christmas ninnys. I don’t post much but I’m always lurking, and I enjoy this little corner so much. Pet all your doggos and stroke your cattos from me. Thanks for all the chatter and distractions - may everyone have a lovely festive season.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
honestly, every year i watch midnight mass on telly, thinking that it'll be a nice sing song of hymn bangers, but duck me is it boring

happy xmas! ❤

• Haha
  • Heart
Merry Christmas ninnys. I don’t post much but I’m always lurking, and I enjoy this little corner so much. Pet all your doggos and stroke your cattos from me. Thanks for all the chatter and distractions - may everyone have a lovely festive season.
Merry Christmas to you too CT! 🍫 🫖 🌲

@kachoochoo I know exactly what you mean about hymn bangers. In the summer there was a clip on Twitter of a big festival in the uk, and the whole crowd was singing the chorus together so loudly.
The band/singer (I can’t remember who) was amazed, and the caption was about how great uk crowds are.

Someone retweeted it saying, “that’s because we’ve been ready and practicing for this since primary school assemblies!”.

It was all those hymn bangers.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Merry Christmas to you too CT! 🍫 🫖 🌲

@kachoochoo I know exactly what you mean about hymn bangers. In the summer there was a clip on Twitter of a big festival in the uk, and the whole crowd was singing the chorus together so loudly.
The band/singer (I can’t remember who) was amazed, and the caption was about how great uk crowds are.

Someone retweeted it saying, “that’s because we’ve been ready and practicing for this since primary school assemblies!”.

It was all those hymn bangers.
Have you ever been to a Hillsong type church where everyone rocks out to the church band?
It's an experience.
About 30 years ago there was a huge Christian metal movement, most of the bands were abysmal but there was a really decent thrash/death band who were heavy as duck but playing songs called things like 'Monks of the High Lord'. That's my type of hymn anyway.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Have you ever been to a Hillsong type church where everyone rocks out to the church band?
It's an experience.
About 30 years ago there was a huge Christian metal movement, most of the bands were abysmal but there was a really decent thrash/death band who were heavy as duck but playing songs called things like 'Monks of the High Lord'. That's my type of hymn anyway.
No! I would love to experience that though, just out of curiosity! Have you?
I think there’s one near me, not sure if it’s actually a cult though…

I LOVE that that happened, and that there were some decent enough for a metal fan like yourself to appreciate!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Oh god I’m pretty sure Hillsong is a cult Sideboob. Theres never any bangers at Midnight Mass because the baby Jesus hasn’t arrived yet. The top of all hymn bangers is All Things Bright and Beautiful but they only use it for kids services or upbeat ones. The rest of the time you’re stuck with Sing Hosanna

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
No! I would love to experience that though, just out of curiosity! Have you?
I think there’s one near me, not sure if it’s actually a cult though…

I LOVE that that happened, and that there were some decent enough for a metal fan like yourself to appreciate!
I used to go to a youth club at a church when I was mid teens that was what you'd call charismatic Christianity. My friend's family were members so if I stayed at hers I'd tag along. It's fun and friendly but I only went for the biscuits and the boys.
My parents were Jehovah's Witnesses for 7 long years (my Aunt and cousins have been JW for longer than I've been alive) so I'm kind of immune to being swept up in the 'getting saved' spiel.

• Heart
Oh god I’m pretty sure Hillsong is a cult Sideboob. Theres never any bangers at Midnight Mass because the baby Jesus hasn’t arrived yet. The top of all hymn bangers is All Things Bright and Beautiful but they only use it for kids services or upbeat ones. The rest of the time you’re stuck with Sing Hosanna
Phew! They’d almost lured me on when I heard Beiber was a member!

I hadn’t even realised that about Midnight Mass songs being the calm before the party, it makes total sense though. I‘m an atheist (with nothing but respect for other people’s faiths) and I love All Things Bright and Beautiful, totally agree, it’s a classic banger.

I used to go to a youth club at a church when I was mid teens that was what you'd call charismatic Christianity. My friend's family were members so if I stayed at hers I'd tag along. It's fun and friendly but I only went for the biscuits and the boys.
My parents were Jehovah's Witnesses for 7 long years (my Aunt and cousins have been JW for longer than I've been alive) so I'm kind of immune to being swept up in the 'getting saved' spiel.
I love your reason for going along, I’d do the same! 🤣
”Biscuits and boys“ should be a F&D thread title.

Again, with genuine respect to other faiths, I’m glad you were immune to getting caught up in being “saved”.

I realise now that I’m so lucky, my family background is kind of a mix of religions 🔺, but we were brought up to make up our own minds.

• Heart
Phew! They’d almost lured me on when I heard Beiber was a member!

I hadn’t even realised that about Midnight Mass songs being the calm before the party, it makes total sense though. I‘m an atheist (with nothing but respect for other people’s faiths) and I love All Things Bright and Beautiful, totally agree, it’s a classic banger.

I love your reason for going along, I’d do the same! 🤣
”Biscuits and boys“ should be a F&D thread title.

Again, with genuine respect to other faiths, I’m glad you were immune to getting caught up in being “saved”.

I realise now that I’m so lucky, my family background is kind of a mix of religions 🔺, but we were brought up to make up our own minds.
I was raised CofE until I was old enough to choose whether to stay home or go to church, I came out of that a staunch atheist. I also went to JW services when we visited my Auntie and my mum had a couple of Mormon friends who'd invite us to their things as well.
I think I'm more of an agnostic as I get older.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
anyway, the tv midnight mass wheeled out "oh come all ye faithful" and "hark the herald angels sing" in the end. absolute bangers, they are. I'm staunchly atheist, but ive mellowed a bit wrt others' faith recently

and ive had cheese and crackers for a nightsnack

perfectly successful xmas eve, i think! ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 18
anyway, the tv midnight mass wheeled out "oh come all ye faithful" and "hark the herald angels sing" in the end. absolute bangers, they are (I'm atheist, but ive mellowed a bit towards faith recently)

and ive had cheese and crackers for a nightsnack

perfectly successful xmas eve, i think! ❤
Sounds like a lovely night. ♥
Nightsnack is known as a Georgia After-Church Supper in Eastern Europe.

Apologies for my terrible jokes today, they seem to just appear when I'm really tired.

• Haha
  • Heart
you know how norad does the santa tracker?

flightradar does too

santa is currently in new jersey

20221225_023210.jpg

• Heart
There's always Battle Hymn Of The Republic if you want to choose violence.

"He has loosed the faithful lightning with his terrible swift sword", indeed.

(Incidentally, the previous line, "he is tramping out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored" is an utterly amazing lyric).

And I day this as someone who has been an athos since the age if 5 because I basically decided "that sounds bollocks, tbh".

• Haha
  • Heart
I've already posted a photo of Susan today but I wanted to share this one too. I took it this morning so her beard hadn't been brushed yet but I think she looks sweet.
D7662F8A-BE4C-4ED7-B21B-BFFF21AF2D04.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Slightly obsessed with Hillsong here. I also got addicted to the Netflix series Greenleaf.

I know I hate this time of year so there’s no particular reason why I’m saying this now. I just want to say that the last three years have been the most traumatic psychologically and being here has got me through that. Just reading through your days/funny conversations/seeing the fabulous pets.

I was never one to dismiss online forums as mumsnet used to provide hilarity during my MSc stresses, but the friendship (and it is friendship) and support that is offered on this site has been the best I have had, I think ever.

Sometimes I worry I overshare, take too much and then hide for a bit, worry about reactions. Then there was the time I was called Britney on Twitter 😂💃.

You are all fab (sending out a pirate call to ones who aren’t here so much too 🏴‍☠️). Keep being fab.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
My brother is at a Christmas party up in the Territory, there's a dog there sauntering around in sunnies and a hat.
59C915A6-64BD-4752-A8EB-CE23568DAB16.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
It's an experience.
One of my best friends from high school went to university and found Jesus. Her wedding had a Christian rock band. Guests were jumping around shouting "Hallelujah!" and "Praise the Lord!" Surreal.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
One of my best friends from high school went to university and found Jesus. Her wedding had a Christian rock band. Guests were jumping around shouting "Hallelujah!" and "Praise the Lord!" Surreal.
It's one thing to watch on a screen but to be amongst it is something else.
Metal music is the defining feature of a lot of important moments in my life, I've been into rock and metal since primary school but if someone at my wedding started shouting Slayer or tried to initiate a mosh pit at my wedding I'd be furious.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.