Food and Drink #36

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
15% off slippers! Boring! As much as I would like to wander around my local M&S I have Covid (most likely from the flight back from my trip) and have hurt my back (most likely from sleeping). Boo hiss woe is me 🤧

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
20% off bath and body

and this is where I learn that there's such a thing as percy pig bubble bath 🥴

his evil empire has gone too far, i fear

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
ninnies, can I ask your advice?

We had our work Christmas party during the week. We spent a lot of money per head, including the "enhanced drinks package". As we walked in we were greeted with servers with glasses of prosecco, when I said I didn't drink and asked for an alcohol-free drink they stared at me like I'd asked them to conjugate Latin verbs. One of them eventually disappeared and came back with a plastic glass of sparkling water.

I know how hard it is to organise these things, people always find something to grumble at, but should I say something to the organiser? There's so many nice and interesting alcohol-free drinks these days that for the only alcohol-free options to be coke, lemonade, tonic water and water is just really poor and completely unwelcoming for people who don't drink for whatever reason.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
Facturday. Pluto has an orbit of 248 years. This means all of American history since the declaration of independence in 1776 has happened in the same Pluto orbit.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 26
ninnies, can I ask your advice?

We had our work Christmas party during the week. We spent a lot of money per head, including the "enhanced drinks package". As we walked in we were greeted with servers with glasses of prosecco, when I said I didn't drink and asked for an alcohol-free drink they stared at me like I'd asked them to conjugate Latin verbs. One of them eventually disappeared and came back with a plastic glass of sparkling water.

I know how hard it is to organise these things, people always find something to grumble at, but should I say something to the organiser? There's so many nice and interesting alcohol-free drinks these days that for the only alcohol-free options to be coke, lemonade, tonic water and water is just really poor and completely unwelcoming for people who don't drink for whatever reason.
It’s entirely up to you if you want to say something but I did a micro aggressions course at work and I was really surprised they called this exact scenario out as a micro aggression! It obvs is as if you’re a Muslim or tbh even if you’re in recovery it’s basically saying you don’t belong here hun.

Tbh work drinking is the worst. I’ve heard of a few companies taking quite a nice/radical approach to it and coaching employees on like… not peer pressuring ppl into going out or drinking and advising against excess which sounds silly to be impressed by (the bar is in hell?).

ETA - the above I think is because the cost of recruitment ngl? Every year I hear of someone losing their job because of what they did when drunk. This year I knew the victim and many many years ago I was the victim and it’s horrific as it’s all of office gossip fodder. Like 5+ years later and we now work for direct competitors so I’ve worked with some of his ex colleagues (unbeknown to either of them!) but always think what would I do if he was recruited where I am! 😱 that one was single but I’ve heard of men with wives and kids getting fired for inappropriate behaviour could you imagine ur husband coming home and telling you that? Awful.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
It’s entirely up to you if you want to say something but I did a micro aggressions course at work and I was really surprised they called this exact scenario out as a micro aggression! It obvs is as if you’re a Muslim or tbh even if you’re in recovery it’s basically saying you don’t belong here hun.
That's a good point, we're really strong on diversity and inclusion so I might use that as the intro. I think we can raise issues anonymously as well.

And the other thing is that if the AF options are poor, people may drink alcohol or keep drinking past the point they really want to because they feel there isn't really an alternative. The drinks on the tables for the sit down dinner were eight bottles of wine and four bottles of water (table of eight). It felt like "not drinking" was made more difficult than it needed to be, if that makes sense?

• Heart
Reactions: 32
That's a good point, we're really strong on diversity and inclusion so I might use that as the intro. I think we can raise issues anonymously as well.

And the other thing is that if the AF options are poor, people may drink alcohol or keep drinking past the point they really want to because they feel there isn't really an alternative. The drinks on the tables for the sit down dinner were eight bottles of wine and four bottles of water (table of eight). It felt like "not drinking" was made more difficult than it needed to be, if that makes sense?
Omg that’s really bad :/ yeah I’d definitely raise it, they may not have even known and tbh it’s probably the venue more than the company but it just means they know to check off AF options next year and water availability? You’re talking to the wrong frau tho I am a shameless HR complainer 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Facturday
The Earl of Sandwich, John Montagu, who lived in the 1700s, reportedly invented the sandwich so he wouldn’t have to leave his gambling table to eat.

Lazy fucker.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Facturday
The Earl of Sandwich, John Montagu, who lived in the 1700s, reportedly invented the sandwich so he wouldn’t have to leave his gambling table to eat.

Lazy fucker.
Related facturday:
The town of Sandwich in Kent has a village nearby called Ham. The road sign which points to both locations has been stolen repeatedly.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Related facturday:
The town of Sandwich in Kent has a village nearby called Ham. The road sign which points to both locations has been stolen repeatedly.
9FB439E8-E4D0-4A42-A715-0CC61B93DD7B.jpeg

It’s my favourite sign in the whole world, partly because when I see it it means we are only a few miles away from my cousins ( who makes the best cheese and marmite sandwiches known to humankind ) house but also because it makes me laugh everytime 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
Facturday

Lazy fucker.
weirdly I remember learning this at primary school, not sure of the point the teacher was trying to make? Don't ever step away from the poker table? :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 23

I definitely would. There are so many reasons for people not to drink, it’s really short sighted. Religion/beliefs, pregnancy, medical reasons (including ex-alcoholic here), designated drivers, caring responsibilities when someone gets home - it’s a big issue for inclusion.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Did I see a Frau was having skin issues in a previous thread? Can I help at all? I’m a nurse and have done a lot of work with Tissue Viability in the past, colleagues tell me I’m a bit of an expert, I wouldn’t mind having a looksie and seeing if I can help. Obviously don’t worry if not!

@kachoochoo are you warm today? Can I send you Nala for a snuggle? She’s not liking the cold either and is staying very close (and waking me many times overnight to make sure I’m also ok with the cold, which is mildly annoying).

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.