Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

LennyBriscoe

VIP Member
Hello! I just wanted to pop on and wish you all a very merry Christmas, whatever that is for you. I miss you guys - the funniest, most caring, honest and compassionate people on Tattle I’ve met in Monroesville and I hope you all have a great festive season ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 39

MancBee

VIP Member
Has @MancBee been around lately? I hope he's okay, haven't seen him post in a while.
I am fine...life is just really busy at the moment. My partners 90 year old parents were burgled while they were out at the community centre lunch. They took everything of value, and quite a lot that was worth nothing, including two coats that Roy Cropper wouldn't be seen dead in.

The little charmers smashed and damaged windows and doors, that weeks later haven't been replaced. The mess they made has taken weeks to sort out. The police have been amazing, I wish we could say the same about the insurers.

We have been staying with them and attempting to repair/replace/redecorate and sort out the damage. They will never again feel truly safe at home and they have been really shaken up by it.

My cancer treatment is also a bit of an issue, but it's more the mental toll at the moment (that and the travelling to and from Manchester), physically I'm doing fine. Then there's Christmas!

When I grab a few minutes to myself I try and catch up with Jack's goings on, but it's an impossible task. I have still got to post the peach brick abomination in the slopalong too.

Well that was the mother of all me-rails. I'm glad to get it off my chest.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 38
ninnies, can I ask your advice?

We had our work Christmas party during the week. We spent a lot of money per head, including the "enhanced drinks package". As we walked in we were greeted with servers with glasses of prosecco, when I said I didn't drink and asked for an alcohol-free drink they stared at me like I'd asked them to conjugate Latin verbs. One of them eventually disappeared and came back with a plastic glass of sparkling water.

I know how hard it is to organise these things, people always find something to grumble at, but should I say something to the organiser? There's so many nice and interesting alcohol-free drinks these days that for the only alcohol-free options to be coke, lemonade, tonic water and water is just really poor and completely unwelcoming for people who don't drink for whatever reason.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 37

Sideboard Bob

VIP Member
My sympathies to everyone experiencing travel chaos. I really hope this is just a cold snap and not the start of another 84 year winter like that one in 2010/11(?)

Sorry, I just need to whinge and I didn’t know where else to go. I’m feeling very sorry for myself, for no real reason. I’ve been on these new antidepressants for a couple of months now, have gradually increased the dose and I don’t feel any better.

The reason I say I have no real reason to feel like this is because it’s true, I‘ve got amazing friends and family and my beautiful cat, I like my job and I like where I live.

When I’m not depressed I can appreciate everything, I still do. But right now I just can’t feel good in any way. It’s kind of how I explain to people that depression is an illness, and not just a negative outlook, or lack of trying. The way my brain is just now, it’s like it rejects anything positive. It’s really shit because I’m naturally a happy person.

Sorry, I don’t know where I’m going with this, I’m just so done with feeling like this. I know I’ll get better eventually though. I have a gp appointment in a couple of weeks to discuss how the medication is.

I’m honestly not looking for advice, or sympathy, or anything, I just needed to get it off my chest. I know a lot of you are dealing with much worse things, I still have a sense of perspective and empathy.

• Heart
Reactions: 37

Falkor

VIP Member
On a happier note, the horses got the lower third of their field opened up today, as it's not got above -5 here and they needed some extra grass to fuel their internal heating systems. There was much rejoicing (and I nearly got flattened a couple of times!)

VideoCapture_20221216-155845.jpg

VideoCapture_20221216-155924.jpg

VideoCapture_20221216-155958.jpg

VideoCapture_20221216-160137.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 35

MaineCoonMama

VIP Member
I'll be missing my beautiful mum today. No matter what the weather forecast was we always had roast turkey with taters, veg, polish pickles and a Québecan dessert similar to brownies at Christmas lunch. All served on the tableware she got for her first wedding in 1957.
Tu me manques, Maman.

• Heart
Reactions: 34

Switchstreetz

VIP Member
Happy facturday Fraus! Just a basic one from me!

Did you know the name for a group of squirrels?

They're called a "scurry" how sweet is that?!

I passed my December exam 💪 got another one at the very end of January but I'm chilling out a bit more until Xmas is over, been nice to actually be able to 100% keep up with the motherthreads, I'd only been able to skim them lately

• Heart

Orphan_Black

VIP Member
IMG_8725.jpg

Just me with a badly taken photo of my TV.

This made me smile this morning, a very smart man being interviewed about economics, but it was half five and Betty the cat was having her snuggle time. He did the whole interview with her all snugged up like this.

• Heart
  • Haha

Lazarus

VIP Member
Hi friends, I don’t often frequent these parts, so hope you don’t mind an interloper looking to offload.
I’ve had a down few days tbh. Mr Laz and I had the Christmas Day we wanted, just us and the dog, nice and chilled. We didn’t buy big gifts for each other because we’re getting married (and nobody knows) and we’d just bought our rings at the start of the month.
Neither of us get many gifts from others which we’re fine with.
We both get a joint gift from my sister, which I always look forward to and we get something each from my mum and that’s it. Both really happy with what we got.

I think the downer came because I’ve been asking my mum for ages what we could get her for Christmas and she just kept saying she didn’t know. Then she said my sister was taking her away on a European city break as a Christmas gift so could I just give her € so I sent money (£100) to her bank.

I said to mum I might book a flight and go and join them for a day or two and she said “oh she’s booked the hotel already, there won’t be room for you in the room so you’d need to book your own room” which id have done anyway but it was just that was her first reaction rather than “yeah that would be really lovely, we might be able to get a bigger room if you come”.
My nieces and nephews are all grown up and similarly just want money from me (there are 4 of them and they get £80 each) but then get lots of gifts from other people and I just felt a bit meh.
Why does nobody want me to buy them gifts? Everything just feels really impersonal and it made me quite down.
My family live 250 miles away from me, we could have gone but the trains are a nightmare at the mo and we didn’t want to put the dog to a sitter anyway. I had a lovely Christmas Day, it just felt a bit isolating when my mum was telling me how much of a nice time she had with all the family, and then it felt almost secondary to say “how was your wee day then, did you get something nice?”

I feel a bit forgotten tbh. Oh well, I’ll move on, I’m sure. I was a bit tearful yesterday though.

This time of year is difficult.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 33

Smol Pixel

Chatty Member
Feeling a bit shit so putting my mithering behind a spoiler.

I feel terrible. Haven’t eaten anything sensible day (basically only crisps and chocolate) which is totally my own fault but making anything nutritious feels like so much effort. And I know my mood will be worse because I haven’t eaten properly and the cycle just spins on in a very unhelpful way. It doesn’t help that when my mood dips my immediate instinct is to neglect myself. Not sure what I hope to achieve by posting this here but just felt the need to say it somewhere I suppose. (And this is a lovely supportive place.)

• Heart
Reactions: 32

BubbleDuck

VIP Member
Related facturday:
The town of Sandwich in Kent has a village nearby called Ham. The road sign which points to both locations has been stolen repeatedly.
9FB439E8-E4D0-4A42-A715-0CC61B93DD7B.jpeg

It’s my favourite sign in the whole world, partly because when I see it it means we are only a few miles away from my cousins ( who makes the best cheese and marmite sandwiches known to humankind ) house but also because it makes me laugh everytime 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
It’s entirely up to you if you want to say something but I did a micro aggressions course at work and I was really surprised they called this exact scenario out as a micro aggression! It obvs is as if you’re a Muslim or tbh even if you’re in recovery it’s basically saying you don’t belong here hun.
That's a good point, we're really strong on diversity and inclusion so I might use that as the intro. I think we can raise issues anonymously as well.

And the other thing is that if the AF options are poor, people may drink alcohol or keep drinking past the point they really want to because they feel there isn't really an alternative. The drinks on the tables for the sit down dinner were eight bottles of wine and four bottles of water (table of eight). It felt like "not drinking" was made more difficult than it needed to be, if that makes sense?

• Heart

MaineCoonMama

VIP Member
Out of surgery now, had a polyp removed. I'm still so groggy. Our car broke down so next door neighbour is coming to pick me up.
The nurses here are the nicest, they've been so lovely. Had sandwiches, tea and a muffin. Best food I've ever had after not eating for over 24 hours.

• Heart

Scotty1976

Chatty Member
Hope everyone is having a good day over Xmas. I have found out out I have a dodgy bracha gene 2 and it's recommended I get a total hysterectomy and double mastectomy I'm pretty scared because if my Anorexia nervosa tothe surgeon is concerned how I could get through surgery ok but I'm really only worried how our girl Honey would be while be I'm recovering. it's hard to try to work out what I should do for the best

Last edited:
  • Heart

zetta buttons

VIP Member
My sympathies to everyone experiencing travel chaos. I really hope this is just a cold snap and not the start of another 84 year winter like that one in 2010/11(?)

Sorry, I just need to whinge and I didn’t know where else to go. I’m feeling very sorry for myself, for no real reason. I’ve been on these new antidepressants for a couple of months now, have gradually increased the dose and I don’t feel any better.

The reason I say I have no real reason to feel like this is because it’s true, I‘ve got amazing friends and family and my beautiful cat, I like my job and I like where I live.

When I’m not depressed I can appreciate everything, I still do. But right now I just can’t feel good in any way. It’s kind of how I explain to people that depression is an illness, and not just a negative outlook, or lack of trying. The way my brain is just now, it’s like it rejects anything positive. It’s really shit because I’m naturally a happy person.

Sorry, I don’t know where I’m going with this, I’m just so done with feeling like this. I know I’ll get better eventually though. I have a gp appointment in a couple of weeks to discuss how the medication is.

I’m honestly not looking for advice, or sympathy, or anything, I just needed to get it off my chest. I know a lot of you are dealing with much worse things, I still have a sense of perspective and empathy.

Depression is so cruel because it can hit any of us, regardless of how “positive” our lives look to us or others. Then, when it takes hold, part of it involves making us feel incredible amounts of guilt. Guilt for feeling this way (in spite of our circumstances), guilt for putting our feelings onto others, guilt for not making the most of what we had (or have).

I cannot offer specific advice. Trite suggestions meant nothing and might mean nothing to you so I won’t offer them. If the earliest appointment you can get is in two weeks, then can you do some kind of countdown diary to see you getting closer to that time?

The fact that you can articulate so well how you are feeling is a positive. Maybe something has shifted? Maybe a different type of AD could be tried? Unfortunately all these things take time to settle and while that happens you are left, lost at sea.

All I can say is that please don’t feel like you are a burden for saying this. We all have our own challenges, all equally valid in our own worlds. It isn’t a competition. We are here to listen, try to offer comfort and definitely offer some furry love.

Furry love ❤
B5FF9376-BFB5-427B-B4E6-3A0A513E863B.jpeg

• Heart

MancBee

VIP Member
Sorry to hear about your partner's parents @MancBee it's terrible how cruel people can be, especially so close to the holidays. I bet having you guys there has been a great comfort to them though.

I'm glad you're okay 🫶
Yes, awfully cruel. There's cctv on the bus stop opposite and though you can't see faces, it shows the three men that did it. The men watched them leave the house in a community transport bus, so they knew they were old, frail and vulnerable. They obviously couldn't care less.

It's not like my partner's parents have lots of valuables. Just a load of bits and pieces collected throughout their lives. The sentimental value was far greater.

Just thankful that the burglars had left before they got home.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 31