Food and Drink #33

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Omg my husband loves YouTube so I’ve ended up exposed to some weird tit through it, it’s our go to and he’s currently scrolling it as I tattle #modernlove

I love all the engineering and science ppl. William Osman/Safety third, backyard scientist, Mark Rober, and their little crews are all good and I pray my little girl likes this stuff when she’s older! I also love Lego and like Tiago’s channel but hate all the others.

On mat leave when I’d be up from 4/5am got into IKEA upcycles despite never ever having the time or skillset to execute them. Also got into housewives tea YouTube channels but don’t have time for that now. And fashion YouTube, haute le mode has gotten better but the rest are largely trash.

Husband started watching some guy that vacuums up wasps nests? That’s quite relaxing. And then we got onto one channel where this bloke had random animals or bugs bite him and he had to react but I didn’t like that, it’s too suspenseful and stressful. He watches those ppl that catch out scammers too but it’s 😴😴😴 imo. Ironically lol.

Also ngl really enjoy Sesame Street on YT 😂 I think it’s so well done and genuinely educational, I don’t mind screen time with it and have even grown fond of little Elmo.
Mark Rober did the squirrel assault course didn't he! That was so impressive. I don't watch much of the science/engineering stuff but I have definitely come across him before. His squirrel video is how I persuaded my dad to make a squirrel sized bench with a nut dispenser for the red squirrels on their farm 😂

Science-wise I like the Australian lady who debunks a lot of the 5 minute crafts videos and posts other cooking content, How To Cook That.

I don't watch many video essayists but I love Contrapoints, she is a(n ex-)philosopher who makes videos on things like gender, culture, politics. I really like the high-production values/aesthetics, especially in her more recent videos.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I had the salmon, needed a lazy tea due to early-by-a-week surprise SEVERE period pain. Lasagne tomorrow.

I went through a phase of liking chiropractic videos when my KCR lady was closed during lockdown. Otherwise I like abandoned buildings and watch a few different urbexers, I like that Martin bloke that talks about canals, Bald and Bankrupt, the Abandoned Series by Bright Sun, and Defunctland by Yesterworld.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Okay, emboldened by the number of people here who also get yoga rage, I'm going to see if I have any fellow weirdos on the slightly strange videos you like to watch on YouTube front. It started for me when I discovered blackhead squeezing videos - it's a great disappointment to me that Mr F doesn't get blackheads on his back for me to deal with, so this was a great way to get my squeezing fix. Then YouTube suggested I might like cow hoof trimming videos and I found out I did. I'm particularly fond of The Hoof GP, who is a lovely young bloke in the south of Scotland who travels round sorting out problems with cows' feet and putting it all on video. After a few months of watching those it started suggesting a channel belonging to a user called post 10, who's a sweet American guy who goes around unblocking road culverts that have been blocked by beavers. And my most recent channel subscription is Groom House, which is a young married couple, Serbian vet students, who groom very matted street dogs and dogs that have just arrived in rescue.

Anyone else got any weird YouTube addictions?
I like watching sewing vloggers (I make my own clothes (mostly).

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Mark Rober did the squirrel assault course didn't he! That was so impressive. I don't watch much of the science/engineering stuff but I have definitely come across him before. His squirrel video is how I persuaded my dad to make a squirrel sized bench with a nut dispenser for the red squirrels on their farm 😂

Science-wise I like the Australian lady who debunks a lot of the 5 minute crafts videos and posts other cooking content, How To Cook That.

I don't watch many video essayists but I love Contrapoints, she is a(n ex-)philosopher who makes videos on things like gender, culture, politics. I really like the high-production values/aesthetics, especially in her more recent videos.
I love contrapoints!

Working from home is weird when it's too quiet (or when all you can hear is someone cutting their grass/roadworks/sirens/planes etc), Podcasts, long videos by people with nice voices and lofi music are a godsend.

I used to quite like "Shaun" as well for background noise but haven't seen a video from him in ages

Tom Scott, Rare Earth, and Kurzgesagt are all focused on teaching you about some random topic usually within 10 minutes and they're usually all pretty good too

Reactions: 11
I’ve had a big grunk so apologies for the randomness of this replying to multiple bits of chat.

YouTube - I watch Brad Mondo, basically I’m watching him watch people do questionable hair DIY jobs, dodgy bleach fails, hair dye, hair cuts etc. I’ve not read up on him outside of YouTube so hoping he’s not dodgy. Then at the other end of the scale I randomly watch videos of some guy renovating an air raid shelter which then linked to a guy who builds shelters and camps out in woods. And then random videos of various planes taking off/landing (Little Beds requests).

Sharon D Clarke - watched her in We Will Rock You when I was a kid, amazing. She was also in Holby City for a while too.

@WTFDidIJustSee Toddler Beds is largely milk free (slowly creeping up the milk ladder) but for most recipes baking/cooking wise I sub out butter for Stork Baking Block as it’s vegan and works fine for cakes etc and then just use alternative milk (we use oat milk). Pastry wise check the Jus-Roll or supermarket own versions as many are milk free - though disclaimer I can’t recall if they are now possibly labelled as a ‘may contain’ which we’ve never had an issue with. As are some of the Jus-Roll sweet treats eg croissants etc. Sorry appreciate you asked for chefs/recipes but found these meant some quick/easy adaptions to recipes I already used without too much effort. Rukmini Iyer has a baking book which has alternatives in for vegan versions - I’ve not baked anything from it though so can’t vouch for how things turn out but she gives good guidance in the blurb. Sorry (again) I’ve assumed you meant baking when actually you potentially mean savoury foods as well. Am sure others here will have recommendations too.

Re Strictly I found the theme tune music a bit cringe for them all to dance too. I love Strictly but the music felt so off this week, though I get they wanted to tie into the BBC 100. Also can anyone explain why Bake Off had Halloween week last week and this coming week or next?

Had Lemon Meringue Pie today for the first time in ages and it was 👩‍🍳💋 - though it was on a sponge instead of pastry. Sounds odd but worked really well.

ETA: Sorry that turned into a mega post!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Yes yes yes.

Hand me a fork and call me Garfield because lasagne is delicious. (And you can really jazz it up vegan wise, stuff it full of veggies, mmmmmmmmmmm yes).
Layers of chunky spicy mushroom alternating with creamed spinach is a nice one

• Heart
I don’t really like lasagne. There, I said it! I tried the quorn one and it freaked me out, apparently I have issues with “cheesey meat” a good veggie lasagne would rarely be my choice, although I once had an amazing rainbow one at delifonseca. It had solid veg slices in between the pasta sheets - turnip, butternut squash, and sliced feta in between then sadly, beetroot, which I hate.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Omg I love Contrapoints! I reccomend her videos to everyone. It's refreshing to see someone put so much nuance into their videos and they're always v. thought-provoking. I like video essays in general: Lindsay Ellis, Jenny Nicholson...I'm sure there are others I'm missing out.

Ugh, I have a friend who's into those pimple-popping videos. For a while they kept showing up in my feed because of him liking them. But he's a dentist, so gross tit is his bread and butter.
My sister was studying medicine when I had the big kidney chaos, so she sent me all these photos of different types of stone (magnified) and a video of stones being removed in a basket. I was like, I love you but if you keep sending these I'll unfriend you. She told me that she had an image on her wall of the fascia around a testicle (? I don't even know if this is the correct term & don't want to Google). Apparently people assumed it was just abstract art. 😅 I could never study anything medical.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
I never really use Youtube apart from very short videos or workouts. I love listening to long podcasts when I'm out walking, but I find it so hard to sit down and focus on a video.

In terms of podcasts, I just recently got into Do Go On, which is by three Australian comedians. Each episode is a deep dive into something - the emphasis is more on comedy than investigation, but it's really fun and interesting, and there's a huge back catalogue to get through.

Reactions: 12
I never understand how people don't like mushrooms!
The texture! Makes me 🤢 Although I did eat the mushrooms in ramen I had recently and it wasn't too bad

RE YouTube I love atomicshrimp, he's basically what I want to be when I'm older. Very invested in the pots he's making atm. I also love speed run explanation videos, or video game lore videos to sleep to. And the Japanese guy who makes knives out of weird things, he has a weird sense of humour but I love it. No idea how the chemistry side of things work though

As for grosser ones
I've been watching vids of this guy who catches/buys random fish, cuts them up, and eats them. Idk why I watch it as fish gross me out irl 🤢 I only really eat salmon as it's not very fishy. But the videos are weirdly addicting

• Wow
Reactions: 13
🤢 I only really eat salmon as it's not very fishy. But the videos are weirdly addicting
[/SPOILER]
[/QUOTE]
Oddly I find salmon one of the fishiest and have to be in the mood to eat it. Since covid though I think my taste has changed as I can eat much stronger foods happily. Spicy curries that would have slayed me before I now enjoy. Oddly yoghurt I can no longer eat as it all tastes sour.

Reactions: 11
Okay, emboldened by the number of people here who also get yoga rage, I'm going to see if I have any fellow weirdos on the slightly strange videos you like to watch on YouTube front. It started for me when I discovered blackhead squeezing videos - it's a great disappointment to me that Mr F doesn't get blackheads on his back for me to deal with, so this was a great way to get my squeezing fix. Then YouTube suggested I might like cow hoof trimming videos and I found out I did. I'm particularly fond of The Hoof GP, who is a lovely young bloke in the south of Scotland who travels round sorting out problems with cows' feet and putting it all on video. After a few months of watching those it started suggesting a channel belonging to a user called post 10, who's a sweet American guy who goes around unblocking road culverts that have been blocked by beavers. And my most recent channel subscription is Groom House, which is a young married couple, Serbian vet students, who groom very matted street dogs and dogs that have just arrived in rescue.

I have a YouTube thing! It's not a gross one, I like nail art videos, more so the ones where they make really intricate 3d designs. I'm not into nails really but a video popped up on fb once and I was mesmerised by it, so got into watching them 😂.

• Wow
  • Heart
For those of us who are interested in fantasists, check this out: https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion...efeather-oscar-Native-pretendian-17520648.php

Sacheen Littlefinger, the Apache activist who appeared at the Oscars to decline an award on Marlon Brando's behalf, just died. Now her sisters are saying that it was all a lie and their family are not Native American.
I can see why she did it initially. Maybe. To keep up that lie for so long though must have been draining.
I am shocked it only came out after her death. As a lot of things do.

For those of us who are interested in fantasists, check this out: https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion...efeather-oscar-Native-pretendian-17520648.php

Sacheen Littlefinger, the Apache activist who appeared at the Oscars to decline an award on Marlon Brando's behalf, just died. Now her sisters are saying that it was all a lie and their family are not Native American.
This is either a great fantasist story, or a great sisters story - but riveting (popcorn gif) either way.

This is either a great fantasist story, or a great sisters story - but riveting (popcorn gif) either way.
My friend is one of four sisters and keeping up with the catalogue of petty drains my spirit, there's novels-full after 40+ years. None of them have been to the press or crashed an Oscars... yet.
Riveting, though.

• Heart
I'm late for caturday/facturday but here's a picture of my friend's MC looking very majestic in his favourite recycling bag:
20221023_204716.jpg
And my favourite etymology fact is that 'cyto-' (prefix meaning 'cell', for non-biologists) and 'sky' both come from the same root, which is the ancient Greek for basket. Because the sky is an upturned basket, and a cell is a little basket of biochemical stuff.

Something I'm finding really interesting about Vietnamese is that they have a lot of compound words, and so many words are derived from common components even though we'd consider their English translations to be completely unrelated to one another. For example, the word giải is found in

giải thích - 'explain'
giải pháp - 'solution'
giải cứu - 'rescue'
diễn giải - 'interpret'
giải phẫu - 'dissect'
giải khát - 'quench'
giải thoàn - 'liberate'
lý giải - 'understand'
giải trí - 'relax'

etc. In English these seem like a random collection of mostly unrelated words, but if you think about it they do all have a shared theme of 'take something difficult and make it less so' - you explain or interpret a complicated idea, rescue or liberate someone from a difficult situation, solve the problem of thirst by quenching it, relax by removing difficulties from your mind, simplify a complex system by dissecting it into parts, and so on.

We have words in English that overlap with parts of that idea ('resolve', 'relieve', 'untangle' all come to mind) but no single word that captures it completely. And that's just one example, there are SO many words like this. I'm used to learning European languages where with a few exceptions basically every word has a direct equivalent in English, but here it's like the boundaries of definitions are drawn in completely different places, like as if they cut reality into different shaped pieces to us. It's completely blowing my mind.

I have an obsession with videos explaining plane/train crashes, fires, bridge and building collapses, ships sinking, any kind of complicated man-made disaster basically. It's not a morbid curiosity thing (I actually prefer the ones where nobody dies), I just find it really interesting to learn how systems failures happen 🤷‍♀️ In another life I think I'd have been an accident investigator.

I don't remember her channel name but there's a hairdresser who posts videos of herself getting humungous matts out of people's hair that they've neglected for months or years (from behind so they can't be identified) - sounds like something you'd enjoy!

• Heart
Reactions: 26

I watch SO much youtube, a lot of the korean/japanese channels like this
I'm late for caturday/facturday but here's a picture of my friend's MC looking very majestic in his favourite recycling bag:
And my favourite etymology fact is that 'cyto-' (prefix meaning 'cell', for non-biologists) and 'sky' both come from the same root, which is the ancient Greek for basket. Because the sky is an upturned basket, and a cell is a little basket of biochemical stuff.

Something I'm finding really interesting about Vietnamese is that they have a lot of compound words, and so many words are derived from common components even though we'd consider their English translations to be completely unrelated to one another. For example, the word giải is found in

giải thích - 'explain'
giải pháp - 'solution'
giải cứu - 'rescue'
diễn giải - 'interpret'
giải phẫu - 'dissect'
giải khát - 'quench'
giải thoàn - 'liberate'
lý giải - 'understand'
giải trí - 'relax'

etc. In English these seem like a random collection of mostly unrelated words, but if you think about it they do all have a shared theme of 'take something difficult and make it less so' - you explain or interpret a complicated idea, rescue or liberate someone from a difficult situation, solve the problem of thirst by quenching it, relax by removing difficulties from your mind, simplify a complex system by dissecting it into parts, and so on.

We have words in English that overlap with parts of that idea ('resolve', 'relieve', 'untangle' all come to mind) but no single word that captures it completely. And that's just one example, there are SO many words like this. I'm used to learning European languages where with a few exceptions basically every word has a direct equivalent in English, but here it's like the boundaries of definitions are drawn in completely different places, like as if they cut reality into different shaped pieces to us. It's completely blowing my mind.

I have an obsession with videos explaining plane/train crashes, fires, bridge and building collapses, ships sinking, any kind of complicated man-made disaster basically. It's not a morbid curiosity thing (I actually prefer the ones where nobody dies), I just find it really interesting to learn how systems failures happen 🤷‍♀️ In another life I think I'd have been an accident investigator.

I don't remember her channel name but there's a hairdresser who posts videos of herself getting humungous matts out of people's hair that they've neglected for months or years (from behind so they can't be identified) - sounds like something you'd enjoy!
Agreed on the plabe/train crash thing, I also love the ones about theme park disasters (also , selfishlly, less stressful as I hate theme parks so can never imagine being involved in one

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.