Food and Drink #33

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can't decide whether to make salmon, roasties and broccoli or lasagne and (bag of) Caesar salad for dinner?
The salmon is less labour intensive but lasagne is proper autumn Sunday evening bliss.
What kind of lasagne? Personally I would go with that either way, with this weather it seems perfect, I am being lazy and having some pizza from aldi 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 13
One of my favourite word-bits is "ply" meaning fold or layer. Obvious in 3-ply loo roll or plywood, but also the root of words like
-multiply
-imply (hidden in the layer) ,
-simplicity (single layer, nothing hidden)
-duplicity (double fold=dishonesty)

• Heart
Reactions: 22
One of my favourite word-bits is "ply" meaning fold or layer. Obvious in 3-ply loo roll or plywood, but also the root of words like
-multiply
-imply (hidden in the layer) ,
-simplicity (single layer, nothing hidden)
-duplicity (double fold=dishonesty)
Loving all of these language insights! especially love about imply, makes it sound such more more interesting somehow!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
What kind of lasagne? Personally I would go with that either way, with this weather it seems perfect, I am being lazy and having some pizza from aldi 😅
I wanted to do chicken and pesto but there was a mutiny so it'd be beef. No-one other than me likes mushrooms, but I like mushrooms in a lasagne.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I wanted to do chicken and pesto but there was a mutiny so it'd be beef. No-one other than me likes mushrooms, but I like mushrooms in a lasagne.
I never understand how people don't like mushrooms!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I can't decide whether to make salmon, roasties and broccoli or lasagne and (bag of) Caesar salad for dinner?
The salmon is less labour intensive but lasagne is proper autumn Sunday evening bliss.
So basically
Y Viva Lasagne
19C02350-D4DB-43F7-A8F8-37C8A3710C88.jpeg
Salmon, Eileen
474C52D9-AC69-44D5-91C9-63E49EC62987.gif
?
(Sorry, I’ve had two terrible nights of sleep and I think I’m just very overtired 😩 😝 ).

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Lasagne. Always lasagne. It really should be a major food group, it has everything! It does take time to prepare but you can make so much of it in one go for the freezer or lunches.

I went for lunch at the end of my bike ride - collected a panzerotti with mortadella ham, smoked cheese, pesto as the filling. With a lovely tomato & mozzarella arancini as a starter. Perfect for a damp, autumnal afternoon.

Does anyone take anything (prescription!) that needs to be injected at home? Is it easy enough, and is it ok getting rid of the sharps? After a torrid few months on methotrexate, the consultant has decided my best option is to stop taking pills and go for the injected form. This will allow the dose to be dropped, and it bypasses the stomach reducing gastro issues. I always say ok when they change stuff, then think of 100 questions 3 days later!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Lasagne. Always lasagne. It really should be a major food group

Yes yes yes.

Hand me a fork and call me Garfield because lasagne is delicious. (And you can really jazz it up vegan wise, stuff it full of veggies, mmmmmmmmmmm yes).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
So basically
?
(Sorry, I’ve had two terrible nights of sleep and I think I’m just very overtired 😩 😝 ).
when I saw the spoiler, this was very much not what i was expecting :ROFLMAO:

Lasagne. Always lasagne. It really should be a major food group, it has everything! It does take time to prepare but you can make so much of it in one go for the freezer or lunches.

I went for lunch at the end of my bike ride - collected a panzerotti with mortadella ham, smoked cheese, pesto as the filling. With a lovely tomato & mozzarella arancini as a starter. Perfect for a damp, autumnal afternoon.

Does anyone take anything (prescription!) that needs to be injected at home? Is it easy enough, and is it ok getting rid of the sharps? After a torrid few months on methotrexate, the consultant has decided my best option is to stop taking pills and go for the injected form. This will allow the dose to be dropped, and it bypasses the stomach reducing gastro issues. I always say ok when they change stuff, then think of 100 questions 3 days later!
I have never had to inject anything to myself at home, but as a child I was really ill for a few weeks/months in hospital, and after a while of blood tests etc you basically just don't even feel needles anymore, obviousy maybe doing it to yourself is different, but even now decades later nothing about injections/blood tests phases me.
If I were you I would try it out anyway, worst case scenario you just go back to pills. I hope it goes well ❤

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15

From memory this came up a couple of months ago and quite a few fraus had experience of doing this and gave lots of info. I also have a really good friend who’s a pharmacist I can ask anything if you’d like.

I’ve known them for years. (I handcuffed myself to her when I was 15 “for charity” and I’ve never unlocked her so I can get a pretty speedy response) 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Yes yes yes.

Hand me a fork and call me Garfield because lasagne is delicious. (And you can really jazz it up vegan wise, stuff it full of veggies, mmmmmmmmmmm yes).
Lasagne is perfection. I made some last week and for tonight I’m making the Greek version pastitsio.

• Heart
  • Wow

I do . And yes it’s pretty straight forward. My sharps bin is on my prescription, and I have a clipper that cuts the needle part off and stores it , which goes in to the sharps bin when filled . Then I book in a collection from my local council for it to be collected. In terms of doing the actual injection, you should be shown how to do it before being expected to do it yourself but it’s straight forward enough once you get through the mental barrier . That said , methotrexate can be prescribed in a pen form which makes self injecting a little bit easier . Have a look here to see a how to video https://metoject.co.uk/uk-patients/ SPOILER]

• Heart
I do . And yes it’s pretty straight forward. My sharps bin is on my prescription, and I have a clipper that cuts the needle part off and stores it , which goes in to the sharps bin when filled . Then I book in a collection from my local council for it to be collected. In terms of doing the actual injection, you should be shown how to do it before being expected to do it yourself but it’s straight forward enough once you get through the mental barrier . That said , methotrexate can be prescribed in a pen form which makes self injecting a little bit easier . Have a look here to see a how to video https://metoject.co.uk/uk-patients/ SPOILER]
Thank you! I have no idea what they'll prescribe as previously it was said it wouldn't be the pens as they are a predetermined dose so you can't increase / decrease as easily.
It's one of these things where I think I'm fine with it then get increasingly stressed when I over think things. One of the nurses is meant to phone me this week, but she only works 2 days so could be the week after.

Glad I asked though, I figured someone would help put my mind at ease, and you have.

• Heart
  • Haha

My adult son was prescribed these injections after having the pills for a while. The problem...he was needle phobic (childhood trauma in hospital of medics holding him down to take blood). He had a nurse who would come to the house to do the methotrexate injection, after some months he was encouraged to try for himself, had some supervised goes until his confidence grew to inject on his own. For the sharps, you should be supplied with a sharps box, take to any chemist for a replacement when box is full.
Best wishes to you.
ETA Sorry, don't know how to do spoiler.

• Heart
thank you! I once made a baby cheezus out of babybel wax for a work nativity scene (don't ask). and, yes, I remember the kath and kim version

also, thank you for explaining velveeta more. it's something that's always intrigued me

I have literally never been fonder of this thread. the mt is boring and repetitive rn and the good people of the strictly thread are mad with me cos I asked what people's issues are with jayde 😬
I’m not sure I’m brave enough to join in on the strictly thread tonight/anymore , it’s all got a bit tribal . Think we would have got less rage for suggesting Neil is the most attractive pro 😉

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
I think it's that "dis" means "not" or "absence" as in disjointed or disinterested, whereas "dys" means "incorrect" or "wonky" as in dyslexia or dysfunctional
Oh no that’s an English thing! Cheers, ruined dyslexia for me, dog’s crying now

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I opened a jar of Thai curry paste today and I guess it hadn't been shut properly as it was full of smoke?! Or I guess vapour or...mouldy air. There goes my idea for dinner 🤣

• Sick
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
Needles - I once did trainimg for them (pen type and needle) on a special slab of fake skin, it was basically rubber. In the old days the nurses practiced on oranges because the resistance is similar to human skin apparently!
I don’t mind if strictly refugees want to mither here, sounds like the official thread is adversarial

• Heart

My husband is on biologics and it’s easy enough with the sharps bin, it gets delivered with the medication by signed for courier every few weeks then you take the full one to the pharmacy for disposal. In terms of the actual injection, he had a nurse come out and show him how to do it and they offer follow up support too in case you don’t get it first time. He uses the epi pen type injections rather than a whole needle if you know what I mean

• Heart
My adult son was prescribed these injections after having the pills for a while. The problem...he was needle phobic (childhood trauma in hospital of medics holding him down to take blood). He had a nurse who would come to the house to do the methotrexate injection, after some months he was encouraged to try for himself, had some supervised goes until his confidence grew to inject on his own. For the sharps, you should be supplied with a sharps box, take to any chemist for a replacement when box is full.
Best wishes to you.
ETA Sorry, don't know how to do spoiler.
Thanks! I dislike blood tests / canulas when someone else is doing them. However,
I can clean out grazes with dettol soap and burst blisters - hazards of exercise in both cases so
I'm not totally squeamish. And I wear contact lenses!

Hopefully it'll all be fine - I'm probably worrying about the what ifs far too much....

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.