Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Bellllls

For any fans of fantasy/folk tales/modern takes on fairy tales, I can really highly recommend the Bear and the Nightingale trilogy by Katherine Arden. Really well written take on Russian folklore.

• Heart
Reactions: 13

BubbleDuck

VIP Member
Has anybody fallen into watching an 'odd' (for want of a better word) tv program? Something a bit niche or left of field, but kept on watching?
how odd are we talking ? I find myself going through stages of binge watching random stuff like extreme couponers , and going into a rabbit hole of googling their life stories/where are they now . Or watching car related stuff even though I have absolutely no interest in cars 😂🤦‍♀️

I can’t find any ice cube bags but I did find a stash of mr freeze ice pops in a cupboard I had forgotten about. They are however 4 years past there best by date , so I’ve folded a bunch in half , jammed them in between the ice build up and mystery foods, and hoped for the best 😂

• Wow
  • Haha

kachoochoo

VIP Member
Antipodean frauen can have a warm treat instead but my weather app is now saying it's going to be 37 degrees here on Monday and 36 on Tuesday so I'm definitely going for the frozen option. I'm really starting to worry about Sideboard Cat overheating as she can't take her fur coat off and refuses to let me help her. I also have an (or perhaps not) irrational fear about my lighter exploding in my pocket.

Abandoned Engineering is the one. I don't like how they try and make it dramatic though. There was one I watched about an American ship full of tanks that had sunk near Ireland and the narrator was like 'but what could a ship full of American tanks be doing off the coast of Ireland?!' as if the second world war is a thing nobody's ever heard of.

it's nearly always the war, isn't it? "what's this huge abandoned secret bunker doing in the Austrian forest?? it was the nazis what done it!" I love it though

forecast 38 now for tuesday here - hottest I'll ever have been in. I always worry about my lighter too. I keep it in an empty packet till there's space in the new packet, which at least keeps it out of sunlight

• Wow

emm

VIP Member
So lovely to find out other sewist fraus are about! I've done it most of my life; my mother taught me. It's a great stress reliever.
I have no apitude for sewing, not do I really like it, but I once lived with someone who always knitted when we watched TV, I always wanted her to teach me as it looked so relaxing. I think now having 2 very active cats any kind of activity like that involving me moving the needles and thread is probably impossible :ROFLMAO:

• Haha

EddieBeds

VIP Member
Any fans of sewing bee, and Esme, her book is £1.99 on Amazon kindle
Thank you - I love Sewing Bee. My mum is a really proficient sewer and to my shame I never had the interest growing up. Though she’s just replaced her sewing machine and has dropped a few hints. Maybe I could start small/basic with some hankies (they look simple enough)???

Ed Kimber’s One Tin Bakes Easy is down to £2.99 - I know it’s not the 99p bargain but still seems a good price. I’ve downloaded it - will share if I attempt anything.

• Heart

MistyWindows

VIP Member
We had Niknaks in South Africa when I was growing up, and they were a real SA thing. I have now gone down a Niknak-shaped rabbithole and discovered that they are completely different from British Niknaks, and there have been legal battles to stop them being imported into the UK due to the name (apparently the British ones are Nik Naks and SA are Niknaks).

Sometimes I read shit like this and worry that this nugget of utterly irrelevant information has just pushed something more potentially useful out of my brain forever (goodbye cosine rule).
Not at all dearheart! I had no idea about that! But I suppose it’s the same as British vs SA cream soda, jelly tots and jelly babies ect! Very different indeed!
Without doxing myself I’m part SA but have only been there a handle of times when I was little, still find stuff like this very nostalgic 🥰
Also want to add that Wimpy serve up seriously delicious food in SA, SPAs are actually great and O O O O oros 😂

We had Niknaks in South Africa when I was growing up, and they were a real SA thing. I have now gone down a Niknak-shaped rabbithole and discovered that they are completely different from British Niknaks, and there have been legal battles to stop them being imported into the UK due to the name (apparently the British ones are Nik Naks and SA are Niknaks).

Sometimes I read shit like this and worry that this nugget of utterly irrelevant information has just pushed something more potentially useful out of my brain forever (goodbye cosine rule).
Had to share this too! A relative of mine 🔻🔻would keel over whenever anyone quoted this ad 😂

Last edited:
  • Heart

Captainmouse

VIP Member
I seemed to watching secrets of the underground, I have no idea how or why it started, but I do realise it is odd.

I am also partial to the bad skin clinic, but somehow feel that is less odd.

• Heart

Captainmouse

VIP Member
It’s been well watered. They look like pods to me but wasn’t sure if I should leave them to open by themselves or what to do with them tbh. I’m really not very green fingered. I buy loads of plants and put them in pots in our yard. I water them regularly and haven’t fed them for a while but will buy food later when I go to the shops.
If they are seed pods, and not flower buds remove them. Once a plant has set seed it won't flower

Captainmouse

VIP Member
@Valiofthedolls I didn’t want to disrupt the MT any further, but basically yes, part of the reason I sometimes think Phoenixes are real is because it’s a real place, (as if that’s how it all works 😬 )

Have you (or anyone here) been to Phoenix?
I‘ve been thinking about Arizona recently because I was listening to the Orb song, “Little Fluffy Clouds”, it’s all about the skies and sunsets in Arizona.

So I looked up Arizona sunsets and… WOW

View attachment 1407510

I have been to phoenix a long time ago, I travelled from the Mexican border up towards Canada. I think it was was bottom of the list for me.

emm

VIP Member
So I was wondering if anyone had any (cat related) advice. My kitten brougth in a live bird yesterday, I managed to drag him away from it, but it seems unable to fly judging by the fact that I have opened the balcony and it is making no attempt to leave, it can walk but is barely moving, just standing there looking around. I have contacted a rescue place, but who knows how long that will take for them to call me. It has been here since yesterday evening, does anyone have any advice on anything else I could do? I have appraoched it and it seems weirdly unscared of me, I am pretty much terrified of anything that flies so this is basically a nightmare scenario :ROFLMAO:

• Sad

Captainmouse

VIP Member
Antipodean frauen can have a warm treat instead but my weather app is now saying it's going to be 37 degrees here on Monday and 36 on Tuesday so I'm definitely going for the frozen option. I'm really starting to worry about Sideboard Cat overheating as she can't take her fur coat off and refuses to let me help her. I also have an (or perhaps not) irrational fear about my lighter exploding in my pocket.

Abandoned Engineering is the one. I don't like how they try and make it dramatic though. There was one I watched about an American ship full of tanks that had sunk near Ireland and the narrator was like 'but what could a ship full of American tanks be doing off the coast of Ireland?!' as if the second world war is a thing nobody's ever heard of.
You must be up country, we are forecast 100f!

• Wow
Reactions: 12

emm

VIP Member
Oh no, that's awful. Can you take it to a vet clinic?
I was thinking about this, but honestly I am terrfied to try and pick it up (first as I said I hate birds, but also to do mroe damage :( , it looks like its wing is broken

It was pretty funny at the time tbh. It had what felt like about seventeen identical doors and none of them seemed to be the one I came in through - I kept trying different ones in hopes that they were the exit and being like "nope, this one is turtles", "here are the fish, I guess", "oh look, I'm in the snake room again". Would have been a great design for a normal fun day out, but the architect clearly didn’t factor in a supposedly responsible adult losing 150 thirteen year olds and needing to find them again before anyone could go home.
This actually sounds like my nightmare scenario, something akin to the fever dream that Round the Twist usually was :ROFLMAO:

• Sad

MistyWindows

VIP Member
still need to catch up here ❤ to anyone who needs it

if, like me, anyone else misses the old real cheese niknaks from our childhoods, View attachment 1402767these are pretty close
Oh my days those look amazing!
I’ll be honest tho, Nic ‘n’ Spicy Niknaks raine supreme for me.
Flaming Hot Cheetos are my absolute favourite but I can only ever find the bullshit ‘jumbo twirl’ ones in the UK! #sendcheetos

• Heart
  • Haha

Vanelope

VIP Member
I had completely forgotten about The Little White Horse! But I think that might be what I was thinking of as well - I was confusing it with The Chimneys of Green Knowe.

All of this reminiscing is making me want to read these again, but I'm a bit scared to in case it's just not the same when you're an adult and the spell is broken.
Read it - it’s still beautiful (if very old fashioned). I looked mine out a while ago and wished I was a dainty little person who could fit in a moon tower.

• Heart

Captainmouse

VIP Member
I don't know, perhaps I was killed in a riding accident in a previous life? I got one of those kids' party ponies for my birthday one year-my 45th I think- and I loved it. It's just the big ones that unnerve me.

@Captainmouse Ayers Rock is now known as Uluru,in deference to the traditional owners.
I was having issues with me spelling

• Heart