Food and Drink #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thanks for the new thread Poca!

You lot will be pleased (or maybe not, sorry šŸ˜‰) to know that I survived my first trip to the gym. It's a lot nicer and bigger than my old one, which only had one of each machine so I was always a bit worried about my "favourites" being used or broken. Looking forward to enjoying going again šŸ’Ŗ

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Thanks for the new thread Poca!

You lot will be pleased (or maybe not, sorry šŸ˜‰) to know that I survived my first trip to the gym. It's a lot nicer and bigger than my old one, which only had one of each machine so I was always a bit worried about my "favourites" being used or broken. Looking forward to enjoying going again šŸ’Ŗ
Genuinely pleased! I'm feeling smug that I managed to get to the pool and swim this morning.despite weird traffic diversions meaning that it felt a bit rushed and then flustered that I'd forgotten my new prescription swimming goggles (I hadn't forgotten them and they are brilliant, would highly recommend).

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Just seen that The Time Travel Artist, will be doing a 40yrs of Glastonbury headliners on their YouTube channel. It's at 9.30pm your time, so I won't get to see it until tomorrow, but thought you guys might like it. Their films are normally pretty good

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I did English Lit too - found my old copy of Ulysses - which I didnā€™t read at the time - but not sure if I will manage it. My attention span is lacking.

The last books I got and devoured and really enjoyed were the Crazy Rich Asians trilogy - brilliant trash reading but also about somewhere I know nothing about and really want to go (in a private 747 with a spa obvs). I reread them for a brain cleanse when itā€™s all a bit hectic with work and life.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
For any fans of fantasy/folk tales/modern takes on fairy tales, I can really highly recommend the Bear and the Nightingale trilogy by Katherine Arden. Really well written take on Russian folklore.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Morning. Iā€™ve been offline since the dog arrived but Iā€™m missing you all but canā€™t bring myself to go back to the Jack thread so I thought Iā€™d venture here whilst the son and OH are at cricket practice. So hello, I think I need to grunk a bit on here to add anything meaningful.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
@Froggies not sure how to quote across threads when a thread is closed but hope youā€™ve enjoyed Goodwood?
I have really fond memories of when I went with a friend (and her parents) as a late teen and met a lot of my dadā€™s motorcycle heroā€™s - gave up meeting Ewan McGregor who I was in love with at the time to meet Mick Doohan! To be fair the heroes of my dad I met were great and happily chatted to me and I met Nicky Hayden (RIP :cry:) who was really sweet. Also met Jenson Button who hands down was absolutely gorgeous at the time and very friendly.

I (still) watch motorcycle racing and Wayne Rainey who was left paralysed from the chest down as a result of an accident in the early 90s got back on his Yamaha, which had been adapted and went up the hill at Goodwood this week. It was so emotional to watch (they showed it ahead of the Moto GP race today) - it was the first time he got back on his bike since the accident. I was too young to remember it other than my parents reaction to it.

Loving the nostalgic book chat. Sweet Valley High was pure trashy gold as a pre teen and I loved the Babysitters Club. I remember reading a lot of Enid Blyton as an early reader - anyone remember Amelia Jane?

• Heart
Reactions: 23
@EddieBeds the new books have turned her into a blonde. Why?!

Saw this, and it made me šŸ¦‰after the Iceland talk, and the company being named what it is

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
For any fans of fantasy/folk tales/modern takes on fairy tales, I can really highly recommend the Bear and the Nightingale trilogy by Katherine Arden. Really well written take on Russian folklore.
Not exactly a fairy tale as such, but Breaking The Surface which is a feminist imagining of the Little Mermaid is really good

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Remember when Point Horror went dark with the 'unleashed' series?

I still have a couple knocking about!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
This is a long-shot but does anyone remember a childrenā€™s book (maybe from the 50s or 60s?) where a little girl had a treasure box?

It was filled with things like a tiny music box, a little kaleidoscope, shiny buttons, maybe a little doll? It was so cute! I remember loving all the details as a kid. I canā€™t even remember if the treasure box was the main story or just part of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
This is a long-shot but does anyone remember a childrenā€™s book (maybe from the 50s or 60s?) where a little girl had a treasure box?

It was filled with things like a tiny music box, a little kaleidoscope, shiny buttons, maybe a little doll? It was so cute! I remember loving all the details as a kid. I canā€™t even remember if the treasure box was the main story or just part of it.
Is this going to be another ā€œcrunchy bar that begins with ā€œbā€, is yellow and was made from cornā€ Sidey B?

Because if so am totally up for it!

šŸ˜„

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Sideboard Cat says hello to everyone. She doesn't seem to be upset about being away for a few weeks which is good. She's been asleep in the bedroom all afternoon ignoring me, after eating treats and killing a spider. Tough life.

sideboard cat says she's happy to be home.jpg

Talking of things that are scary, I drove for the first time in nearly ten years today and it was terrifying. My mum wants me to try a couple more times to get my confidence back before making a decision but I don't think I want to do it again. I felt like I wasn't far off going round a roundabout constantly screaming with my eyes closed šŸ˜‚

• Heart
Reactions: 50

This rings a vague bell but I can't place it. Will keep thinking! Another vote for Moondial and Tom's Midnight Garden here, plus Minnow on the Say by the same author. My favourite book at that age was Carbonel, about a girl who accidentally buys a witch's cat and has lots of adventures with him. Think it was a bit obscure though because no-one else remembers it.

ETA that Sideboard Cat is magnificent, and I'm so pleased she's back with you, @traumatised sideboard .

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I'm currently obsessed with JP Delaney and working my way through his novels - just finished The Perfect Wife.

I'm not normally a Goodwood person, but it was the debut for my friend's dad's electric car so was keeping half an eye on it this year. Delighted that they've managed to knock 2 seconds off the all-time hill climb record today.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I remember Carbonel! And the treasure chest reminds me of Maria finding the sewing box in The Little White Horse, which is full of tiny precious things (probably not what you were thinking of Sidey B, but another top favourite from the library.) There's a lot of amazing little treasures in The Midnight Folk as well, plus delicious food.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.