Food and Drink #26

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Mr Soapy D and I visited Newby Hall gardens yesterday. It felt a bit momentous as it's the first time we've done something like this since the start of the pandemic. It's not far from us and as Historic Houses members we can visit the gardens for free. The rhodedendrons were still pretty good and the smell of box filled the air. Hardly anyone was there, the sun came out and I felt a little calmed and soothed. :)
The labernum pergola is always a joy!

View attachment 1301353

View attachment 1301355 View attachment 1301354
Gosh, how beautiful is that?! I love flowers like labernum or wisteria that drape (trail? hang down?). Just lovely.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I live in France but am British. Since the demise/departure of Marks and Spencerā€™s food halls over here, I transferred my allegiance to Tyrrellā€™s crisps, as I can still get some UK foods in most supermarkets. Unfortunately, my favourite flavour ( Posh Prawn Cocktail) seems to have been discontinued. Does it still exist in the UK, or is it just a Brexit/supply issue?

• Heart
You know when you are reminded of an image (which incidentally comes with an amazing song) that is just everything?
View attachment 1301426
I worry that I may be 'that book person' but I have loved this album and image since I was a tiny Shaw, and reading Suze Rotolo's book (A Freewheelin' Time) was an incredible gift to my crone self, she was wise and generous and inspiring, and it's such an important and difficult thing to be kind and grateful to your young self.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I live in France but am British. Since the demise/departure of Marks and Spencerā€™s food halls over here, I transferred my allegiance to Tyrrellā€™s crisps, as I can still get some UK foods in most supermarkets. Unfortunately, my favourite flavour ( Posh Prawn Cocktail) seems to have been discontinued. Does it still exist in the UK, or is it just a Brexit/supply issue?
They still exist in the UK so hopefully your supply will be restored soon. You can purchase them online via Brit superstore but they are Ā£4 a pack and delivery can be pricey ( itā€™s done on weight) , so it depends how desperate your are for a crisp fix šŸ™‚
P.s -they also sell M&S crisps

To clarify, Iā€™m not anything to do with the website - I have family living overseas who miss home comforts and often itā€™s just less hassle for me to order via them , and get the items shipped direct to Sweden , than it is for me to go to the shops, package it all up then post it over myself

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
@Emmapism dear heart, please draw! I felt exactly the same way after an 8 year break because I am a perfectionist and if I'm not immediately good at something I get very frustrated. Eventually I just forced myself to keep doing it and yeah, not everything you do is going to be good but over time you'll get better and better. Also you have to remember that you are more critical of yourself than anyone else is. You'll only see the flaws, other people won't even know they're there because they don't know how you thought it was 'supposed' to look. Everyone's right about drawing stupid tit as well. I find that if I draw a car snake or a bot I don't feel any pressure because it's meant to be rubbish. It's the same for music as well, electroslop is completely different to the dark heavy stuff I usually make. Sorry I've gone on a bit of a ramble there, I feel very strongly about creative pursuits apparently!

You are, as ever, very correct @heretoreaditall2019 I need to bear that in mind. I had a mad amount of pressure to perform academically because I was diagnosed gifted šŸ„“ and completely buckled. My school was also keen to funnel as many people into A levels at the sixth form and eventually uni as possible so I got sucked into that pipeline and at the end was spat out as a withered hollow husk with a third class degree that's basically worthless. People also really want to know why you haven't got a job and it's like ok, well, I barely know you, I'm not going to go into my entire mental health history right now to justify myself to you? Believe me, if I could just leap into any job, I would.
I went from the French system back into the English school system to start GCSEā€™s. In the French system, Art is once a week if you are lucky, and nobody takes it seriously. I would get 16-18/20 so assumed the GCSE would be a similar walk in the park ( turn up, draw some stuff that vaguely fits the brief, get an A or a B) but was sorely mistaken! I found out that perspective eludes me and that everyone in the class was about 2 million times more gifted than me. I ended up getting a D and basically did not touch an art supply for the next 2 years or so, when before, I was always messing about with different media, making cards for friends and family, sketching/drawing. I have always babysat and nannied, and the children would often want to draw and would ask me to draw them animals/vehicles/fruitā€¦ and they would often tell me they thought I was Ā« the best drawer Ā» or words to that effect. Slowly, I got back into it and started enjoying it again. I have made quite a few cards for people, love drawing, doing craft projects and painting with the children I nanny. I still canā€™t really do perspective, but I can draw most things the children ask me to and it is recognisable as whatever it is suposed to be, so that is good enough for me!

They still exist in the UK so hopefully your supply will be restored soon. You can purchase them online via Brit superstore but they are Ā£4 a pack and delivery can be pricey ( itā€™s done on weight) , so it depends how desperate your are for a crisp fix šŸ™‚
P.s -they also sell M&S crisps

To clarify, Iā€™m not anything to do with the website - I have family living overseas who miss home comforts and often itā€™s just less hassle for me to order via them , and get the items shipped direct to Sweden , than it is for me to go to the shops, package it all up then post it over myself
Thank you, thatā€™s good to know! I may place an order with them when I get paid, as I also need Bovril- if I can get pots over here, it is only the teeny tiny ones and they cost 4-8ā‚¬, eek!

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Iā€™m going to believe that one, itā€™s too good to not be true (because thatā€™s how facts work!).

I have a daft question for you all. Is Schitts Creek worth watching?
I keep seeing gifs of it on the MT and it looks fun, and on a shallow note, Iā€™ve just watched Russian Doll series 2 and thought Annie Murphy was so beautiful.
I didnā€™t get it, but then I donā€™t get the simpsons or Alan partridge šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Did you know that Dexter Holland has a PhD in molecular biology? #facturday

If you're at a loose end on Netflix and want to cringe your whole bum off you could try Love On the Spectrum. It's about autistic people looking for love. The original one was in Australia and they've just made one in the US. It gives me the full-on body cringe, I cannot deal with second-hand embarrassment. There's a very odd moment in the Australian one where the producer asks a couple (who eventually get married, it's very lovely) if they've 'consummated their relationship' šŸ˜ we don't have to take a vow of celibacy ffs. I think they have good intentions but there are some weird points. There's a girl who goes on a date in the US one, tells the guy after about five mins that she loves him and he gets overwhelmed and asks to take a break. She asks the producers if she did something wrong and they say 'I don't think so' when she's just announced that she's fallen in love with him and he's the one. Like that can't be right on a first date, surely you don't want to be encouraging that?? Ugh I've got cringe-chills thinking about it.

• Heart
This poor little bloke was soooo pre-historically exhausted he needed a Dino nap on someone's front lawn.
065F7248-325A-49B7-A1B2-5948AE1F9B9C.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
I knew it! There really are still dinosaurs in Australia!
I walked out of the shopping mall earlier and there was a sulphur crested cockatoo swinging around a phone cable thing by his feet. Around and around, it was hilarious! I tried to take a photo but the little smart arse clocked me and flew off.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
I've just been watching Cape Fear for the first time, got to say, The Simpsons did it better :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Iā€™ve been watching Schitā€™s Creek, really enjoying it. Just had an actual laugh out loud moment at this.

ā€œLetā€™s look at the bright side!ā€
ā€œThere is no bright side, this is the dark side of the moon Johnnyā€.

I walked out of the shopping mall earlier and there was a sulphur crested cockatoo swinging around a phone cable thing by his feet. Around and around, it was hilarious! I tried to take a photo but the little smart arse clocked me and flew off.
Omg!!! That sounds so sweet! Is that the same mall where the lights went out and all the older people went ā€œooohhhhā€?

Birds are very closely related to dinosaurs (FACT!) so my point still stands about Australia.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Iā€™m going to believe that one, itā€™s too good to not be true (because thatā€™s how facts work!).

I have a daft question for you all. Is Schitts Creek worth watching?
I keep seeing gifs of it on the MT and it looks fun, and on a shallow note, Iā€™ve just watched Russian Doll series 2 and thought Annie Murphy was so beautiful.
I have twice and I have the book šŸ˜
I have developed a weird habit with comedy shows. If everyone is saying how great a show is but I donā€™t really feel it on the first episode, I just jump ahead. That usually sucks me in enough to go back and watch. I find the first episode or two s just establishing the characters and situation, itā€™s not usually that gripping.
Itā€™s worked well for me with Almaā€™s Not Normal and Stath Lets Flats.
Although I loved Schitts Creek from the start!

• Heart
On topic, itā€˜s Greek Week at Lidl!

And Iā€™ve been laughing every time I go there because I keep thinking of this clip (itā€™s only five minutes and itā€™s so worth watching, Spinal Tap could never).

ETA. Cherylā€˜s ā€œwho cares about being at the top peak of Greekā€ lives rent free in mine and the others on the Girls Aloud threadā€™s brains.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
Who? Iā€™ve not even heard of napoleon dynamite
It's a really strange film about an American teenage nerd and his odd friends and family. I found it hilarious but can see why people might not like it. It's quite hard to explain as I've never seen anything like it before or since.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.