Food and Drink #26

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So, I may be out of turn here and this is a slight me-rail. I too was encouraged (by my parents )to go to a high-flying school and then by the school to go to one of the (objectively, but not for for me) top 2 universities in the country. I then went straight into a MA, had to give up the PhD due to my headaches and stupidly then went into teaching, doing yet more masters which ended up with me as a HOD at one of the best independents in the NE. I now don’t work. I get looks when people find out this Cambridge grad who was teaching the next gen of Cambridge grads can only just manage to volunteer at a charity shop. My college psychology partner is a professor at Yale. My dad also helps us. I think he feels guilty that he let me go to that university which we all now agree was too much and partly set off a spiral of tit in a multitude of ways.

What I am trying to say is that we do place too much emphasis on traditional markers of success in our society (university, job, house). Although those markers might have worked for an individual at a certain point, our lives change so those markers are no longer relevant. Other markers become more prominent. We need to change our perspective so that we do not feel guilty when of our comparison against others, our past self, or our idea of what our present self would have been doesn’t match up. Do I feel guilty every time someone tells JM to get a job knowing I no longer work? Absofuckinglutely. Do I feel terrible every time she is told to save to buy a house or that her dad will gift her one knowing my dad helped us immeasurably? Totally. But, her life isn’t ours. My success is getting through the day without a headache ruining it. Yours TS, is a totally different measure. We did have different ideas of what success would mean but we can’t use some of those now. It is just another way that our lives have changed in the same way that we age, only more subtle.

This is so long. I apologise. I send out huge hugs.

I hope this isn’t twatty or IDK, I know what I am trying to say but sometimes it comes out all 🤯

Loving all the art chat. Can’t draw. Not getting involved.

❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
Facturday, dog noses are like human fingers prints, they are unique, once they are six months old their nose will not change, apps are being developed to set up a database of noses

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
The MT is usually so open for discussion and polite disagreement.. throwing around armchair diagnosis has been spoken about loads but i was attempting to moderate!? Thats a bit tit, tbh. Everyone is usually mindful of what theyre posting. Lately its a neverending me-rail on there.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 32
It goes in cycles, Steely BB, it'll come right again. The dynamic is off at the moment but I think that's in part because JM is mainly producing mean tweets instead of slop and the me-rails tend to come from people getting triggered. A lot of the regular posters have had enough (of JM, or the MT), so the tone has shifted and that makes it less enjoyable for the rest of us. I appreciate everyone who tries to keep it where it needs to be.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Dear heart - I’ve re written this thrice now cos idk how to say it without sounding like a tit edge lord or hypocritical but I think it’s really hard to disentangle your self worth from employment status or attainment when you’ve been indoctrinated by your school from year 7 or year 12 to believe in the idea that education leads to a career which leads to a house or family or travel or whatever, it’s all such a weird perpetuated MC myth but hard not to judge yourself through that lense when you’ve spent years studying for something and believing the dreamTM. Work is the weirdest relationship I’ll ever have and I’m currently convinced my dead dad has helped my house purchase so there’s that - it’s hard to unlearn the idea that careers are wholly or even mainly based on merit or attainment so worth something/a good reflection upon you as a person and ur capabilities because the workplace couldn’t be further from that, broadly speaking. Sorry idk if this is an insane rant but my point is you’re very clearly an intelligent person with a growth mindset and an employment status or history doesn’t in/validate that.
Here - you make a lot of sense, summed up the entire education system (disillusioned teacher here).

• Heart
Reactions: 17
The MT is usually so open for discussion and polite disagreement.. throwing around armchair diagnosis has been spoken about loads but i was attempting to moderate!? Thats a bit tit, tbh. Everyone is usually mindful of what theyre posting. Lately its a neverending me-rail on there.
Agree ❤. But has something happened this morning?

🥺

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Aw it’s not nice when you get told off, especially if the thing you did was the “right” thing.

I concur about the society work attitude. In a slightly different way, I am beset by peoples attitudes that I have “given up” on work. There is a very Victorian/Presbyterian attitude to fatigue, which is that it’s a lack of motivation. Which is ironic because the level of motivation involved in keeping going, keeping trying and getting through the day is so much higher than the average working person has. But that’s capitalism for you.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
This might seem weird but could you put a little flag or something on him? Springtime here in Oz we get swooping magpies, it's a real problem. Some folk wear an ice cream container on their heads with little flags and things on them to spook the birds away. Or sticky tape some googly eyes on him to keep them away?
Australia has inspiring magpies, Saturday fact:
Our north eastern magpies have just chased one of my cats indoors because she is a tree climbing pest and they rightly do not trust her near their fledgies, I was impressed that they have continued to keep a beady eye on her even now she is indoors, monitoring her through the window until she was safely curled up and asleep.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
Aw it’s not nice when you get told off, especially if the thing you did was the “right” thing.

I concur about the society work attitude. In a slightly different way, I am beset by peoples attitudes that I have “given up” on work. There is a very Victorian/Presbyterian attitude to fatigue, which is that it’s a lack of motivation. Which is ironic because the level of motivation involved in keeping going, keeping trying and getting through the day is so much higher than the average working person has. But that’s capitalism for you.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
It goes in cycles, Steely BB, it'll come right again. The dynamic is off at the moment but I think that's in part because JM is mainly producing mean tweets instead of slop and the me-rails tend to come from people getting triggered. A lot of the regular posters have had enough (of JM, or the MT), so the tone has shifted and that makes it less enjoyable for the rest of us. I appreciate everyone who tries to keep it where it needs to be.
That’s exactly it, yes.

I’ve just realised I was me-railing quite a bit on the MT last night, and I’m genuinely sorry. I was just exasperated, and it was the only way I could try and explain my point. I’ve been getting annoyed with all the me-rails there, so I’m a total hypocrite now.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
That’s exactly it, yes.

I’ve just realised I was me-railing quite a bit on the MT last night, and I’m genuinely sorry. I was just exasperated, and it was the only way I could try and explain my point. I’ve been getting annoyed with all the me-rails there, so I’m a total hypocrite now.
You wasn't though, you was using your own experiences as an example against Jack's cosplaying. ❤

There is definitely more snipping between FMs on the MT. Maybe it's the moon? 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 25
That’s exactly it, yes.

Nooo, please dont apologise. JM does this to people, she is so triggering so its understandable that people want to share and to vent x

I'm not having a pop at the job being done FYI, it must be an impossible one - just a bit confusing when its hit & miss that things are allowed sometimes and not others.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Nooo, please dont apologise. JM does this to people, she is so triggering so its understandable that people want to share and to vent x
You wasn't though, you was using your own experiences as an example against Jack's cosplaying. ❤

There is definitely more snipping between FMs on the MT. Maybe it's the moon? 🤷‍♀️
Thank you both for understanding ❤ I could have at least used spoilers though! 🤣

Anyway, happy Saturday! Tunnel Dog has such kind eyes 😍

• Heart
Its another Saturday of pure overwhelm!! I have so much to do and not enough time to do it all. Scrolling instagram instead, and cannot wait for @Melizcooks book to come out!! 😍

• Heart
I agree with Orphy B, Sidey, it's good to counteract the bullshit with personal experience, especially for lurkers who might not feel confident in making the same point. I have every sympathy for the me-rails, I've done it too. It's the fact that JM causes so much psychological harm that has to come out somewhere, and then it interferes in the purpose of the thread, she spoils everything, it's fully on her and she pisses me off no end for this.

At least we have a place to go to sound off, I feel rotten for the people who've been piled on, or are even just absorbing all the negativity somewhere, isolated. And then trying to balance that on the thread against holding to account, keeping a record, light relief, in-jokes, it's a tough line to navigate.

Anyway, back to pandas...

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Been a bit of a lurker on MT because it's been a rough MH week for me. Agree w/ all about the me-rails; using them to discuss Jack seems alright but it can be hard work otherwise.

In other news, this cat. I am convinced that he waited until I had emotionally prepared myself for his demise to suddenly become his old self.

Screenshot 2022-05-28 at 01.14.26.png

He followed me round the drive, which is odd because he doesn't like me. I managed to get a photo of his lovely green eyes, though. (It looks like he's about to ascend into the sun, I don't know why he's so BRIGHT)
Screenshot 2022-05-28 at 12.36.11.png

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 35

“ acquiring” our new panda friend may be more difficult than we thought, we didn’t account for them being able to do roundabouts drive

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.