Food and Drink #26

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
No idea if that would work or not but I definitely want to try just to see him wandering around with googly eyes on! Thanks for the suggestion 🙂
It works on magpies, if you draw eyes on your ice cream helmet they don't swoop. I wonder if there's a nest nearby and that's why the birds are going for him?
Anyway, I can't wait to see some big googly eyes on on him. 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 19
You panda thieving ninnies have forgotten a very crucial piece of information which will make your job a lot easier: simply get a bag, and then you can put things in it. Here is Lorraine the inveterate panda thief to demonstrate.

lorraine the bag thief.png

Your panda is cute Sidey B ❤ he's clearly very happy!

• Haha
Reactions: 31
@Emmapism dear heart, please draw! I felt exactly the same way after an 8 year break because I am a perfectionist and if I'm not immediately good at something I get very frustrated. Eventually I just forced myself to keep doing it and yeah, not everything you do is going to be good but over time you'll get better and better. Also you have to remember that you are more critical of yourself than anyone else is. You'll only see the flaws, other people won't even know they're there because they don't know how you thought it was 'supposed' to look. Everyone's right about drawing stupid tit as well. I find that if I draw a car snake or a bot I don't feel any pressure because it's meant to be rubbish. It's the same for music as well, electroslop is completely different to the dark heavy stuff I usually make. Sorry I've gone on a bit of a ramble there, I feel very strongly about creative pursuits apparently!

You are, as ever, very correct @heretoreaditall2019 I need to bear that in mind. I had a mad amount of pressure to perform academically because I was diagnosed gifted 🥴 and completely buckled. My school was also keen to funnel as many people into A levels at the sixth form and eventually uni as possible so I got sucked into that pipeline and at the end was spat out as a withered hollow husk with a third class degree that's basically worthless. People also really want to know why you haven't got a job and it's like ok, well, I barely know you, I'm not going to go into my entire mental health history right now to justify myself to you? Believe me, if I could just leap into any job, I would.
Definitely got this vibe from you re education/attainment, think we’re a v similar age. Our micro generation like that small few years of births that had some teenage internet access but nothing like now is a weird one - like there really was this onus placed upon traditional education then the eventual grad scheme with IB being the shining star of opportunity, there wasn’t this hustle/digital economy and even having done a computer science a level jobs in tech weren’t really a thing our school promoted? I don’t know anyone who went to uni with the intention of working in that field it sort of just happened to STEM grads whereas these days kids are learning from young or ppl are retraining and aspiring to work at tech companies or start/scale ups whereas our gen were going for FTSE100s or old guard media. The world has changed so much in those ten years alone 🤯 Wonder what sixth form is like for kids now?!

People are just rude af no matter what your situation is. Often people just don’t know what to say so resort to banal but safe convos - tell me about your partner/job/home. It’s all boring and totally meaningless tit and no one truly cares about the answers unless it’s a chance to have a nose about something very different to their life? It’s also no one’s bleeping business. Also not projecting this with you but personally I have low self esteem and anxiety so always assume that their framing of a situation is right and I’m inherently wrong, but forgetting that things are shaped by their lense and their MH issues/insecurities too? Like all of us do it this isn’t me preaching as perfect but life is hard and nuanced no one is ever going to fully understand a situation without spending 100+ hours with you going through everything from your grandparents’ trauma and how that impacted ur parents then you, the cultural composition of ur ends, ur school’s culture, how you fitted in at uni, like we are a billion tiny cogs some hun asking what you or your partner does to get a guage on your perceived value to them doesn’t even scratch the surface of our 💫being💫

• Heart
Reactions: 26
It’s happening!
I am always envious of those that can draw, it is a skill that totally eluded me. when I was younger I wanted to be a garden designer, drawing was sort of vital for that. I started a drawing course, we did lines and squares and progressed to 3D boxes, matchboxes to be precise. I understood the concept and yet at the last moment I would fail. Not sure if my neurons have knots or what, but without fail I would produce not a matchbox, but a dairylea triangle.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
I am always envious of those that can draw, it is a skill that totally eluded me. when I was younger I wanted to be a garden designer, drawing was sort of vital for that. I started a drawing course, we did lines and squares and progressed to 3D boxes, matchboxes to be precise. I understood the concept and yet at the last moment I would fail. Not sure if my neutrons have knots or what, but without fail I would produce not a matchbox, but a dairylea triangle.
I can relate to that, I always struggled with technical drawing in school. It’s a shame, because in theory your imagination and ideas are what would really be important for garden design. Do you ever draw for fun? It’s like what we’ve been saying here, it doesn’t have to be good, but just for the fun of it, like the classic Draw A Duck thread.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I can relate to that, I always struggled with technical drawing in school. It’s a shame, because in theory your imagination and ideas are what would really be important for garden design. Do you ever draw for fun? It’s like what we’ve been saying here, it doesn’t have to be good, but just for the fun of it, like the classic Draw A Duck thread.
Even draw a duck is beyond me, yet I have skills that require manual dexterity and co-ordination, like playing musical instruments, and I was a phenomenal short hand typist. I can’t draw for toffees

bizarrely the only qualifications I have are horticultural.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
@DinosaurSenior i hope you see this, I was conscious of merailing too much. I’m so pleased to hear that about your friend, that’s great news! I remember you speaking about them before, you must be so proud. And I hope they’re proud too!

What will definitely have made a huge impact on your friend is you though! They’re lucky to have such a kind, caring friend.

Thank you for your lovely words, the beauty of AA is we pass on freely what we have learned and it’s a privilege to be able to do so. Outwith meetings, here is definitely the place I talk about AA the most and I feel a bit protective of it, because it gave myself and countless others a chance to have a life. But I hope someone would say if I need to rein it in a bit, I worry that everyone’s giving it the <insert boring gif> 😂

I really appreciate what you said Dino, thank you ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Even draw a duck is beyond me, yet I have skills that require manual dexterity and co-ordination, like playing musical instruments, and I was a phenomenal short and typist. I can’t draw for toffees

bizarrely the only qualifications I have are horticultural.
It’s so weird how these things work out isn’t it. I can draw ok with enough practice, but could never get my hands to co-operate with a musical instrument. I love that you‘re a horticultural frau! 🌱 🌸

• Heart
It’s so weird how these things work out isn’t it. I can draw ok with enough practice, but could never get my hands to co-operate with a musical instrument. I love that you‘re a horticultural frau! 🌱 🌸
I spent one summer working as a gardener on a country estate for a lord.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Was it as amazing as it sounds? (To me that would be a dream job)
Yeah I loved it, unfortunately the pay was rubbish, and it was only a summer job, but it was great. the guys were obsessed with machinery, which didn’t really interest me, but they would get me to mow the orchard as I was the shortest and could get under the trees without decapitating myself

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Yeah I loved it, unfortunately the pay was rubbish, and it was only a summer job, but it was great. the guys were obsessed with machinery, which didn’t really interest me, but they would get me to mow the orchard as I was the shortest and could get under the trees without decapitating myself
Thank feck you’re short! 🤣 It sounds amazing though (rubbish pay aside), being outdoors and being in nature.

Reactions: 16
Thank feck you’re short! 🤣 It sounds amazing though (rubbish pay aside), being outdoors and being in nature.
It was a really hot summer that year, and the estate had an open air pool which was great at the end of the day.

Apart from me everybody else lived in which made the pay more workable for them, and no commute.

• Heart
The key to drawing is observation and practice (said by every art teacher I've studied under). And it's true.

At the end of the day though, just enjoy it. Find your inspiration and let it run wild on the paper.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I should start small and silly. That's great advice.

And I love how this has prompted other lapsed doodlers to come out of the woodwork. Isn't it funny how we don't just let ourselves enjoy an activity for its own sake?

Here's to more of that sort of thing ❤
There's some "wisdom" out there that says remember what you loved doing at 7 (or 8, or something) and do that again. Sound advice, for me at least

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.