Food and Drink #24

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've just discovered my idiot (solid black, newton's cradle-for-a brain) rag doll cross has a doppelganger. I saw it in the street near my other two so tried to call it in, and it just stared at me which is very on brand for my raggie so I kept trying until my ACTUAL cat came out the house looking confused. I was utterly baffled for a second and then he wandered off with his doppelganger.

I then caught the fake cat trying to get in my bedroom window and I've since been wondering if I've spent the past however many months feeding two identical cats.
Omg, Newton's Cradle for a brain is my new go-to insult! Absolutely perfecto for that dopey cat in my life. Love it.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
That's very sweet of you Sidey B and KCC but Sideboard Cat is a smol dimwit 😂 bless her. She also currently honks because I let her roll around in her toy tub which is full of things with catnip and various other herbs that absolutely reek. Her favourite is this ferret which is made in Germany so perfect for frauen. One reviewer said 'Absolutely stinks like a sweaty scrotey ballbag but my Maine Coon absolutely loves it' and gave it five stars.

I am hooting at the cat confusion @bowiethesdmn he's obviously not as stupid as you think, he gets the doppelganger in when he wants to spend all night out at the cat pub.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
TS, you might appreciate this review, (for a book about Carl Jung), which just raises more questions than answers.

9FD865EA-1787-4D28-8EF1-4416113BEB47.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Oh, I'm way too scared of the rest of Tattle! I looked at that thread when it started and initially seemed interesting but it seems hard to post without getting snotty replies. It took me nearly 6 months to post on the JM thread, even though everyone is very kind & considered in their posts.

The stamp duty holiday was an odd one, as you say interest rates were only going one way after 8-9 years at rock bottom. I fear for my idiot sibling who decided to move 300 miles in lockdown to a house needing investment. And council tax rises. The positive is that it is coming towards warmer weather. I shall chase the cat for a bit as a distraction!
Does everyone have an idiot sibling???! I do. Lost his job recently, received a good payout, limitations on walking into another quickly, age over 50, said he was going to spend the money on new awnings for the house to protect from the sun. It's coming into winter. Me, the non-idiot fair bit younger sibling, allowed myself a lecture. Sometimes "poor people" CAN'T have an awning treat!!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
Hoping today is less “angry.”

There is a quote by the Charles Dance character in Alien 3 where he says “I think it might be better if I left, I find you unpleasant to be around.”

Sums up how I feel about people.

Question- if I buy a small (90w, 1.5 L) slow cooker will that be cheaper to run than if I do the equivalent meals for both of us in one go in the oven?

(My anxiety over this is OFF THE SCALE)

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I was listening to the latest Lore podcast about Chiloè island near Chile so I started googling the place and found what's called a Kodkod (Leopardus guigna). Could be an ancestor of the semi-boneless @traumatised sideboard cat and I've put it one on my birthday list.
27AA733D-C27F-4772-8616-445DDD227E91.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Hoping today is less “angry.”

There is a quote by the Charles Dance character in Alien 3 where he says “I think it might be better if I left, I find you unpleasant to be around.”

Sums up how I feel about people.

Question- if I buy a small (90w, 1.5 L) slow cooker will that be cheaper to run than if I do the equivalent meals for both of us in one go in the oven?

(My anxiety over this is OFF THE SCALE)
Yes - it will be cheaper by a long way. A small slow cooker is 75-150 Watts. An oven is more like 2000 Watts.
So 2 hours in the oven would be 4KW, but 6 hours in the slow cooker 600-900W.
Slow cookers don't need extra time to warm up either.

I have a 1.5l which makes 3-4 portions. I only ever make one pot meals on it, as I personally see no point in then using the hob / oven for other components of a meal. This is part laziness BTW.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Yes - it will be cheaper by a long way. A small slow cooker is 75-150 Watts. An oven is more like 2000 Watts.

I have a 1.5l which makes 3-4 portions. I only ever make one pot meals on it, as I personally see no point in then using the hob / oven for other components of a meal. This is part laziness BTW.
Thank you. I thought the 1.5 would make 2 meals worth.

😊

• Heart
Reactions: 13

Can't remember if you're vegetarian or vegan so this may not apply, but in addition, you can/should use cheaper cuts of meat so the savings are cumulative (sometimes known as Maths.)

One can do really clever things with slow cookers: 3 or 4 whole beetroot or sweet potato, for example, ready for warm salads: on low for six hours, perfection for next to nothing.

I recommend *not* joining any online fb slow cooker groups, just quietly. Very JM -like food

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
Aww, really sad news. As soon as I heard I thought of this thread.

RIP June Brown. She was a fantastic actress and iconic as Dot, but she also seemed to be such a cool and unique person in her own right. I really liked her.
There really aren't that many role models for women ageing truthfully and independently, she was a treasure.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
There really aren't that many role models for women ageing truthfully and independently, she was a treasure.
Oh wow, that’s such a good point, and so beautifully put.

I remember when June Brown was a guest on Graham Norton’s original chat show, it was 2002, and she was AMAZING.
She was wearing a gorgeous outfit, drink in one hand, and a long cigarette holder in the other. I think anyone who saw it would become a fan of hers then if they weren’t already. She was so interesting and funny, all “oh DARLING!” and dramatic eye-rolls.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I am sad because of the news about June Brown
I am frustrated because I’m stuck on a stupid geocache puzzle that my child wants help with .
I am annoyed because the other child has found and eaten my stash of chocolate buttons😭

pesky kids trying to involve me in their hobbies and feeling confident enough in my love that I will forgive chocolate theft. It’s the Easter break, shouldn’t they be off making me Lego flowers and saving their appetite for offal

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Frauen I hope you don’t mind me popping in to say that I’m currently in Edinburgh for work. I haven’t been lucky enough to sample Dishoom but I did enjoy a delicious katsu curry from an authentic little Japanese restaurant by the name of Itsu. I wonder if Jack’s heard of it?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
I love facts weird reviews! Took me a while to realise 'tearable' was supposed to be terrible. I was thinking surely all books are in a tearable state? They're just paper.

Have you eaten any of their famous celery yet @Bleurghgram? It's a local delicacy. Be sure to spare a thought for the homeless and make a borlorneaise with the bullet blender you obviously thought to pack.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Lads I’ve been eating CBD chocolate buttons for a few weeks now and they are niiiiccceee. Anyway a quick google reveals a lot of individuals reporting that CBD can delay periods and upset the menstrual cycle!
Apart from some toke-tokes as a teen I’ve never really had weed, so maybe full spectrum cbd and my dysfunctional pathology has caused my current chaos!?

• Wow
Reactions: 20
Lads I’ve been eating CBD chocolate buttons for a few weeks now and they are niiiiccceee. Anyway a quick google reveals a lot of individuals reporting that CBD can delay periods and upset the menstrual cycle!
Apart from some toke-tokes as a teen I’ve never really had weed, so maybe full spectrum cbd and my dysfunctional pathology has caused my current chaos!?
I've never heard that before! I've used CBD but only as a non-menstruating Frau so can't compare notes. It is great for alleviating pain but because it was home made it gave me the munchies. Do you get that with the medical-grade CBD?

Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.