Food and Drink #20

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Scribbler is an actual professional company and they think this “approximation” of Alan is worthy for sale!?!? He looks like he’s been refaced and used a ridiculous filter as well @Alansbigplate Im offended on your behalf

03EC9547-A367-4BDF-9B37-AF6AF5EEAE4E.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Yo! Lionel here. Here’s a link to an Advent newsletter that I hope is of interest!:

I follow her on Instagram and I love her posts. She’s great, writes with passion and knowledge on all things food related and her photos are superb

Enjoy!

• Heart
Thank you guys so much for the pan recommendations - I’ll investigate tomorrow (at my desk at work 👀) and get back to you! The whole cast iron not washing it thing gives me the heeby jeebies tbh. Heard it adds flavour but surely that flavour is just burnt / meat? 😳

Hate buying for my husband at Christmas too - food is a good idea but omnicron has other ideas for us all this year 😫 x

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
Oof, nothing makes your heart stop like turning into the village in the van and seeing 406 come belting down the hill on her own, no other sheep in sight, BAAAAing loudly. Sped home, grabbed some sheep food, jumped on the quad and went back down there. She's not particularly tame and is quite wary about following me even when Nibbles is with her, but she followed back up the hill a little way and then went on strike. So I went on because I could see some sheep on the ridge and thought it might be the rest of mine, although if it was they'd come a long way down from where I put them out. Shouting and rattling the bucket only produced one answering BAAAA and Nibbles came trotting out of the flock (turned out to be a neighbour's ewes), which was a huge relief, because my first thought when I saw 406 on her own was that Nibbles had died.

Nibbles and I, followed at a distance by the neighbour's flock, walked back down to where I'd left 406 and there was much happy BAAing as they were reunited. Those ewes only got put out today, so I'm guessing somehow my two got mixed up with them and 406 got separated and confused. Went down to the other end of the grazings where the other 20 were still happily working their way through the remnants of the bales that got put out for the cattle before they went off to winter indoors, so all's well that ends well.

And I have toffee cake from the local bakery :)

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
Oof, nothing makes your heart stop like turning into the village in the van and seeing 406 come belting down the hill on her own, no other sheep in sight, BAAAAing loudly. Sped home, grabbed some sheep food, jumped on the quad and went back down there. She's not particularly tame and is quite wary about following me even when Nibbles is with her, but she followed back up the hill a little way and then went on strike. So I went on because I could see some sheep on the ridge and thought it might be the rest of mine, although if it was they'd come a long way down from where I put them out. Shouting and rattling the bucket only produced one answering BAAAA and Nibbles came trotting out of the flock (turned out to be a neighbour's ewes), which was a huge relief, because my first thought when I saw 406 on her own was that Nibbles had died.

Nibbles and I, followed at a distance by the neighbour's flock, walked back down to where I'd left 406 and there was much happy BAAing as they were reunited. Those ewes only got put out today, so I'm guessing somehow my two got mixed up with them and 406 got separated and confused. Went down to the other end of the grazings where the other 20 were still happily working their way through the remnants of the bales that got put out for the cattle before they went off to winter indoors, so all's well that ends well.

And I have toffee cake from the local bakery :)
I love this little anecdotes, your life could not be more different from mine and I find it so fascinating :)

• Heart
Reactions: 15
So 406 couldn’t work out where Nibbles was and came running down to find you? She’s started to act tame even if she isn’t!
Glad the ladies are all ok and getting up to the usual mischief, don’t tell them about toffee cake they’ll all want one!

• Haha
Thank you guys so much for the pan recommendations - I’ll investigate tomorrow (at my desk at work 👀) and get back to you! The whole cast iron not washing it thing gives me the heeby jeebies tbh. Heard it adds flavour but surely that flavour is just burnt / meat? 😳

Hate buying for my husband at Christmas too - food is a good idea but omnicron has other ideas for us all this year 😫 x
I wash my cast iron pan. I’m vegetarian, so I don’t know if that makes a difference?

Reactions: 5
I love this little anecdotes, your life could not be more different from mine and I find it so fascinating :)
It's very different from the way I thought mine would be, to be fair! I grew up in the middle of Bristol, then moved to Reading, Cambridge and south London. I only started living here 13 years ago, when I was in my early 30s. Steep learning curve :)

• Heart
Reactions: 15
It's very different from the way I thought mine would be, to be fair! I grew up in the middle of Bristol, then moved to Reading, Cambridge and south London. I only started living here 13 years ago, when I was in my early 30s. Steep learning curve :)
as someone currently living in south London I think "learning curve" sounds very much like it would be an understatement! :ROFLMAO:
So as not to derail totally, what is everyone eating on xmas day? I am going to my parents and we are having beef wellington, the only benefit of the mess of the last two years seems to be that my sister has accepted that life is too short to suffer through turkey at xmas for the sake of tradition :ROFLMAO:

• Heart
Reactions: 16
It’s amazing how life turns out isn’t it? I spent a few weeks in NYC after I finished university and I was desperate to stay instead of coming home to do postgrad. In the bad moments (standing in Tunnel dog poo mainly) I often wonder what could have been if I had done the GRE…

Sheepo news is like our little weekly Archers (or Vera, or whatever is your thing). I love it ❤.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Hello all!

I have some good news! I got made redundant a few months ago which necessitated a change of direction career-wise. I have finally been offered a permanent contract in an area involving computer coding, which I've always been interested in but thought I'd missed the boat. Stress levels are receding (and no more job centre appointments, thank goodness)!

Hope you are all well and I'm busy on my mega-grunk now!
Mega late but congratulations I’m so pleased for you.

just need to vent a minute, sorry lads. so the crappy news i mentioned on the MT was that a colleague of mine died very suddenly yesterday

she was only a year or 2 older than me, not yet 40. she was lovely, so good with people, her and her husband were looking into adoption. it's so bleeping tit

other thing is, this is the 3rd year in a row someone in my department has died around this time of year. feels like we're cursed

and on top of mr kcc's dad's death and all the other stuff going on in the wider world, not to mention money, stuff needing to be fixed in the car and at home, it's all a bit too much and it's bleeping xmas!

yesterday, i basically spent the day on the sofa unable to relax because of my anxiety and I'm just exhausted now

sorry for ranting at you, but thank you all for being here ❤
/SPOILER]
I’m so sorry for your loss hope you’re bearing up been through such a lot this year sending you Elmo hugs ❤.

Yes, I do! My mum was Canadian so we always had turkey and all the trimmings when we were kids but as we all got older it was salad and cold meats. Most Aussies have prawns and pavlova on the day and a game of backyard cricket is pretty normal.
When I was a kid our Christmas Eve was always a night at the drive-in in my mum's old station wagon with grapes and bananas for snacks.
It must seem odd to you guys but I've lived here most of my life and have no memories of cold Christmases.
Sorry for the stupid question but what do your Christmas cards look like do you have Santa on the beach instead of him flying his sleigh in the snow?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
as someone currently living in south London I think "learning curve" sounds very much like it would be an understatement! :ROFLMAO:
So as not to derail totally, what is everyone eating on xmas day? I am going to my parents and we are having beef wellington, the only benefit of the mess of the last two years seems to be that my sister has accepted that life is too short to suffer through turkey at xmas for the sake of tradition :ROFLMAO:
We are having beef this year, and possibly a little gammon too, I cook a glazed gammon every Xmas Eve to have as cold cuts and optional meat for the main dinner. Both meats are from our local butchers, the beef is their own and the cows grow up in the fields around us, so it's as local as we can get really 🙂. I also make a bacon wrapped stuffing loaf and our veggies this year are carrots/parsnips, cabbage and kale, creamed leeks and a butternut squash and blue cheese gratin thing. I'm buying ready made braised red cabbage too as I really like it but not everyone does, so won't make my own. Gravy I always start in advance, so this week I'm picking up some freebie beef bones from the butcher's to roast off and make the stock for it ☺

• Heart
I’m off to my parents and we’re having Turkey as it’s tradition 🙄.
I suggested to my mum about just getting a chicken or a joint of beef as everyone actually likes those meats but oh no 😂.

• Heart
  • Haha
we still don't know what we're having or even when we're having xmas dinner!

mr kcc has his son (almost said LB for Large Boy [he's nearly 15 and over 6ft] but that sounds weird) from 21st-26th. son stays at mr kcc's mum's cos he has his old room there. i usually go up with them when he has him, but I've not been going since his dad died, due to ~awkwardness~ (and I am extremely happy with that) but mr kcc's been coming home at night when he's been with them during the day. so he'll be there xmas day, then coming home too late for proper dinner.

so, I'm thinking, party food/cheese/charcuterie xmas day night and boxing day, then xmas dinner on monday.

the one thing I do know -- never turkey

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I think it's beef here - it's just the two of us, we can't ask anyone to look after all the animals over Christmas, it's not fair, and our families aren't keen on trekking hundreds of miles north to a house with no central heating!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
I think it's beef here - it's just the two of us, we can't ask anyone to look after all the animals over Christmas, it's not fair, and our families aren't keen on trekking hundreds of miles north to a house with no central heating!
NO CENTRAL HEATING! You must be tough (and acclimatised).

Reactions: 10
I'm going to my sister's for a cold lunch (let's face it, 90% sausage rolls) with my mum and grandma so I'm cooking my own Christmas dinner like I did last year, although my mum has said she will make a main for me. Not sure what it's going to be but she did ask me to get some tofu off a high shelf in Tesco earlier so I'm guessing that's destined for me in some form. I got some adorable baby Maris Pipers to do hasselback (or Hasselhoff, as they are otherwise known) potatoes instead of roasties as everyone agreed they didn't mind not having roasties.

• Heart
So far we are having bread sauce (not made with brioche), red cabbage thingy, sprouts, cauli cheese, stuffing and then some more sprouts. I know there isn’t a “main” in there but last year we got halfway through the LM meatloaf thing that tasted like dog food and gave up.

I don’t want to spend a load on another Christmas processed plant based thing that is disappointing and makes you thirsty so it may be Richmond sausages. You can’t go wrong with them.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.