Food and Drink #20

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So far we are having bread sauce (not made with brioche), red cabbage thingy, sprouts, cauli cheese, stuffing and then some more sprouts. I know there isn’t a “main” in there but last year we got halfway through the LM meatloaf thing that tasted like dog food and gave up.

I don’t want to spend a load on another Christmas processed plant based thing that is disappointing and makes you thirsty so it may be Richmond sausages. You can’t go wrong with them.
I don’t like them. But, same, I hate the weird veggie and vegan efforts - nut roast with apricot and cranberry in, or blue cheese if you’re really unlucky. I will be having Linda’s and my potato will be mashed. Followed by Cartmel Sticky Toffee Pudding.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
NO CENTRAL HEATING! You must be tough (and acclimatised).
We have this ridiculous electric system called THTC - Total Heating Total Control - which was installed across large parts of the Highlands years ago. We have 2 electricity meters, the second one just has all the heating stuff on it and is charged at a lower rate, which was something like 7.5p per kwh when we moved here and is now more than double that. The heating circuit is controlled by Scottish Power, who look at the weather forecast for your area and switch power on for the circuit up to 4 times a day when they judge it will be most needed. We have storage heaters in the kitchen, hall and on the landing, panel heaters in the bedrooms (which work any time you turn them on), an electric towel rail in the bathroom and a woodburner in the living room which also does the hot water. It's never properly warm in winter and the direct debit for the electricity bill is now at £249 a month, up from £95 a month when we moved here 13 years ago. And we can't switch suppliers because no one else will touch the two meter set up - I think some economy 7 tariffs can cope with it, but then all the heating units will be on standard rates.

We were hoping to move out temporarily next month so we could gut the house, insulate it properly and put an air source heat pump and underfloor heating in, but despite starting the process in June or July we haven't even had a quote through yet, let alone got a building warrant. I spend most winters looking like the Michelin man in several layers of fleece jumper! Mr F was born up here and just wanders around in a t shirt not noticing it. Git.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Owain is quite the guy. My Nan tells me what he’s been up to on the local news where he does the weather in a “proper suit”.
If he was my local weather man I’d be updating people too! He seems so lovely. His enthusiasm for drumming made me a bit emotional 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Mega late but congratulations I’m so pleased for you.

I’m so sorry for your loss hope you’re bearing up been through such a lot this year sending you Elmo hugs ❤.

Sorry for the stupid question but what do your Christmas cards look like do you have Santa on the beach instead of him flying his sleigh in the snow?
We have traditional snow scene cards as well as ones with native fauna and Santa with kangaroos instead of reindeer. I've posted a funny Aldi ad, there's lots more on YouTube.

• Haha
  • Wow
I've sent that clip on to my brother, he's a drummer-still playing in multiple bands at age 55- and I reckon he'll love it 💖

• Heart
I've sent that clip on to my brother, he's a drummer-still playing in multiple bands at age 55- and I reckon he'll love it 💖
Yay! That’s so cool, he must really love what he does. I love watching drummers at gigs, so often they’re just like everyone in that clip, completely in the moment and going for it.

• Heart
Yay! That’s so cool, he must really love what he does. I love watching drummers at gigs, so often they’re just like everyone in that clip, completely in the moment and going for it.
He begged my mum for a drum kit for a year before she caved in and bought him a cheap one when he was 10. He used to drum on everything, including our heads, haha.
He always says our older brother got the brains, he got the musical talent and I got the looks. Patently untrue, I'm also clever 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11
He begged my mum for a drum kit for a year before she caved in and bought him a cheap one when he was 10. He used to drum on everything, including our heads, haha.
He always says our older brother got the brains, he got the musical talent and I got the looks. Patently untrue, I'm also clever 😂
Embarrassing story incoming.

We were watching Billions earlier and there is an episode where Damian Lewis’ (still makes me sad re Helen Mc) character goes to see Metallica in concert. Cue me looking confused.

Me: Are they really Metallica?
Mrs T: Huge eye roll.
Me: Have you seen them then?
Mrs T: Big sigh.
Me: Did I know you had seen Metallica in concert?
Mrs T: fancy doing some of your birthday jigsaw?

• Haha
Its just the three of us and we are having chicken because we all like it. Roasties, carrots, bread sauce and cauliflower cheese plus Yorkshire puddings. Oh and pigs in blankets. It feels like a huge effort for what will be a short time around the table. I have ordered a lovely Christmas table cloth, napkins and crackers to decorate the table too.

@HotesTilaire snap, we are having Cartmel sticky toffee pudding for dessert too.

I always think that the problem this time of year is the meals before and after Christmas day, when you are hungry but don't know what you want and there's not enough food for a proper meal in the fridge, just random bits.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Update: my PCR took 3 full days to come but it was negative and that alongside my 5 negative lateral flows plus consultation with my nurse sister persuaded me that I really do just have a cough even though Mr F is positive so I hotfooted it to my Mum’s where I am now and will be for a few days. All the rest of my family live here too so I will see them all during the few days I am here. I’m currently in my childhood bed. Mr F is still isolating in his own house but is allowed out on Xmas Eve so I will see him then for hopefully a nice walk and a picky tea.

Christmas Day I volunteer so he’ll go off to pick his son up and have dinner while I do that.Helping cook and serve dinner to a lot of people always makes me not fancy a proper meal when I get in so I’ll have pasta or something. I might do a roast for myself on Boxing Day, it’ll be homemade seitan Wellington with the trimmings, I do homemade stuffing, gravy, bread sauce, leeks, red cabbage, sprouts, roasties and probably Yorkshire’s even though it’s only me, but I am a greedy goblin.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Update: my PCR took 3 full days to come but it was negative and that alongside my 5 negative lateral flows plus consultation with my nurse sister persuaded me that I really do just have a cough even though Mr F is positive so I hotfooted it to my Mum’s where I am now and will be for a few days. All the rest of my family live here too so I will see them all during the few days I am here. I’m currently in my childhood bed. Mr F is still isolating in his own house but is allowed out on Xmas Eve so I will see him then for hopefully a nice walk and a picky tea.

Christmas Day I volunteer so he’ll go off to pick his son up and have dinner while I do that.Helping cook and serve dinner to a lot of people always makes me not fancy a proper meal when I get in so I’ll have pasta or something. I might do a roast for myself on Boxing Day, it’ll be homemade seitan Wellington with the trimmings, I do homemade stuffing, gravy, bread sauce, leeks, red cabbage, sprouts, roasties and probably Yorkshire’s even though it’s only me, but I am a greedy goblin.
This is great news! Your Christmas has been saved!!! I love how many good people there are on this forum, thank you for volunteering on Christmas day. A walk with Mr F and the full works on Boxing Day sounds pretty perfect. You must be so relieved.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
This is great news! Your Christmas has been saved!!! I love how many good people there are on this forum, thank you for volunteering on Christmas day. A walk with Mr F and the full works on Boxing Day sounds pretty perfect. You must be so relieved.
Thank you! I really am. Mum is 70 tomorrow and it’s so good to be able to see everyone.
To be honest I first volunteered the year I split up from my husband. I would have been perfectly happy at home on my own but I knew no one would let me so this was a cast iron excuse not to have to and see people. It really was a wonderful day, it was hard work, and very upsetting at times, but still somehow enjoyable. Now I do have a lovely Mr F to spend it with but I don’t forget how it was there when I needed it as much as it needed me so I still go and Mr F will still be there another day.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Oh I totally understand about your initial reasons for volunteering. I am lucky that my ex has let me have the children this year but I am not looking forward to handing them over on Boxing Day. The one good thing about Covid is that no one is 'helpfully insisting' that I go to their house for the day. I plan on a walk and some nice food, I'll read my books, tidy the house and Tattle!!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.