Food and Drink #20

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry, bit of a me rail but I have been offered the job I went for. I nearly cried when I got the call. Honestly, I have had such a tough year with separating and getting divorced and my self esteem is at rock bottom. I am so happy. The job will really make a difference to peoples lives who have a disadvantage. I would love to tell you what its is but 🔺. I just hope I can do it justice.
Many congratulations! What a fantastic thing to happen.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Sorry, bit of a me rail but I have been offered the job I went for. I nearly cried when I got the call. Honestly, I have had such a tough year with separating and getting divorced and my self esteem is at rock bottom. I am so happy. The job will really make a difference to peoples lives who have a disadvantage. I would love to tell you what its is but 🔺. I just hope I can do it justice.
Huge congratulations!! So pleased for you ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Massive congratulations @Universal!

I am actually going to freeze the remainder of his butchered corpse tomorrow, unless someone can think of a really good and maverick way to use up caterpillar leftovers. Toastie? Rice pudding? Pizza? Curry? Salad? Open to all suggestions.
I like that there is actually a recipe for Colin the caterpillar trifle on the good housekeeping website 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Huzzah! Well done @Universal and remember many shysters take jobs supposedly to help the disadvantaged, I’m sure you will be brilliant!

• Heart
Congratulations @Universal ! It‘s so great to hear about good things happening for lovely people. I love how hyped you are for the role, you always come across as so thoughtful and intelligent, sounds like you’ll be perfect for it 🥳

• Heart
@Universal that's fantastic news and about the first thing to make me smile today, so thank you for sharing.

The ladies have been in the fields behind our holiday cottage for a couple of weeks, working their way through some longer grass and thoroughly enjoying it. Checked on them last night as usual, all fine. Went down this morning to finish cleaning ready for today's guests, first thing I saw was one lady on her back with all four legs in the air. Sadly I was too late and she'd gone. Without going into grim detail, the most likely reason is pneumonia - the weather has been abysmal and when they get wet and then dry off slowly the damp gets into their lungs (it's why you should never, ever bring wet sheep into an enclosed space, you'll probably kill off a load of them).

So rest in peace ewe number 34. Not one of the tamer ones, but still a good ewe who looked after her lamb well and did me proud. Because we're such a remote part of the mainland, on-farm burial is permitted here, so Mr F and I dug a big hole at the bottom of the field and buried her - and yes, I did cry - then put stones over the top which will hopefully stop the foxes coming down off the hill and scavenging. I'll check in the morning and add more stones if it looks like they've had a go, because the last thing I want is the guests' dogs smelling her and digging her up.

The ladies have been moved to a new field as if/when the foxes come down I'd rather they were out of the way. They're all a bit subdued too.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
Fantastic news, very happy for you. You will be great in your new job, that’s why you were chosen.

• Heart
Oh no @Falkor
I was thinking of asking for an update what with all the weather you’ve had up there. It’s the way of things isn’t it.

• Heart
@Universal that's fantastic news and about the first thing to make me smile today, so thank you for sharing.

The ladies have been in the fields behind our holiday cottage for a couple of weeks, working their way through some longer grass and thoroughly enjoying it. Checked on them last night as usual, all fine. Went down this morning to finish cleaning ready for today's guests, first thing I saw was one lady on her back with all four legs in the air. Sadly I was too late and she'd gone. Without going into grim detail, the most likely reason is pneumonia - the weather has been abysmal and when they get wet and then dry off slowly the damp gets into their lungs (it's why you should never, ever bring wet sheep into an enclosed space, you'll probably kill off a load of them).

So rest in peace ewe number 34. Not one of the tamer ones, but still a good ewe who looked after her lamb well and did me proud. Because we're such a remote part of the mainland, on-farm burial is permitted here, so Mr F and I dug a big hole at the bottom of the field and buried her - and yes, I did cry - then put stones over the top which will hopefully stop the foxes coming down off the hill and scavenging. I'll check in the morning and add more stones if it looks like they've had a go, because the last thing I want is the guests' dogs smelling her and digging her up.

The ladies have been moved to a new field as if/when the foxes come down I'd rather they were out of the way. They're all a bit subdued too.
So sorry to hear this. We lived at the edge of a remote sheep farm in the Peak District when I was little and often had to look after sheep and lambs while we waited for the farmer to come and rescue them. I know it is a fact of life when you live that life but it doesn’t make it any easier.

Sending hugs 🤗

• Heart
I'm going to a concert once I finish my complimentary hotel drink. I have a spare ticket because I've been stood up THREE times over the course of this week. First pal pinged (Weds). Missed train (this morning). Work (admittedly live TV, right now) over-running. I'm going to channel Romy & Michelle and pretend I'm a strong independent business woman and go by myself 💪, and try not to think about Omicron.

Hope you all have a lovely evening lined up.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I'm going to a concert once I finish my complimentary hotel drink. I have a spare ticket because I've been stood up THREE times over the course of this week. First pal pinged (Weds). Missed train (this morning). Work (admittedly live TV, right now) over-running. I'm going to channel Romy & Michelle and pretend I'm a strong independent business woman and go by myself 💪, and try not to think about Omicron.

Hope you all have a lovely evening lined up.
You invented post it’s!

• Heart
  • Haha

Oh @Falkor I’m so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you gave her a really dignified send-off. Love to you, Mr F and your ladies x

• Heart
@Falkor so sorry about 34. I am over invested in the the ladies and feel quite sad.

Thanks for all of the good wishes about the job. I have not told anyone else as I still cant believe it. I have worked hard to get where I am but come from a humble background and its a privilege to be able to make a difference. I have a sister with a disability who through her own determination and family support lives a wonderful life. I am now in a situation where I can influence government strategy so other people who dont have the support she has can do the same .

What's everyone's plans for tonight? The weather is rubbish here and its dark already. I am watching box sets under a blankie.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
@Falkor so sorry about 34. I am over invested in the the ladies and feel quite sad.

Thanks for all of the good wishes about the job. I have not told anyone else as I still cant believe it. I have worked hard to get where I am but come from a humble background and its a privilege to be able to make a difference. I have a sister with a disability who through her own determination and family support lives a wonderful life. I am now in a situation where I can influence government strategy so other people who dont have the support she has can do the same .

What's everyone's plans for tonight? The weather is rubbish here and its dark already. I am watching box sets under a blankie.
I'm making a cod/chorizo/red wine thing and going to keep warm. It's suddenly got really chilly here! Very dark also.

I haven't even left the house today, which is awful. Had a huge lie in now on the sofa with one of my cats watching random things on youtube and drinking tea, freezing here also, but only 19 days until the days start getting longer. Cannot come soon enough! The cats are basically in hibernation so refusing to go out, they are either sleeping or miaowing for (more) food 24/7, the older one has got quite chubby recently :ROFLMAO:

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I haven't even left the house today, which is awful. Had a huge lie in now on the sofa with one of my cats watching random things on youtube and drinking tea, freezing here also, but only 19 days until the days start getting longer. Cannot come soon enough! The cats are basically in hibernation so refusing to go out, they are either sleeping or miaowing for (more) food 24/7, the older one has got quite chubby recently :ROFLMAO:
My cat is definitely eating more at the mo. She's munched her way through her months supply of biscuits early this month so I had to move her subscription forward. Am upping her wet food this month though, so I'm hoping that'll keep her satisfied and she'll stop bleating at me!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.