Food and Drink #20

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Bought a wedge of 'sticky toffee cheddar' from our village shop yesterday, mainly out of curiosity - it's actually really good! Mr NT wasn't taken with it, but I really like sweet/savoury together so it worked for me. I described it as like eating cheesy fudge, which I'm aware sounds horrid, but it's honestly yummy 😂

• Wow
  • Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Bought a wedge of 'sticky toffee cheddar' from our village shop yesterday, mainly out of curiosity - it's actually really good! Mr NT wasn't taken with it, but I really like sweet/savoury together so it worked for me. I described it as like eating cheesy fudge, which I'm aware sounds horrid, but it's honestly yummy 😂
I’ll pass thanks. Currently having a sad time with cheese, bought Red Leicester in Lidl and it’s too bland. I really wanted Lancashire in my last supermarket delivery but it was out of stock, and I don’t trust supermarkets with Cheshire or Wensleydale. I need a trip to Waitrose!

Reactions: 9
I’m watching ‘I’m a Celeb’ and the hairless rats keep making think of Selling Sunset and Jason. Not helped by (think it was @heretoreaditall2019) saying they wish Chrishell would stop stroking his head so now I just keep thinking of her stroking a hairless rat :sick:.

OT: We had tuna pasta bake for dinner. Basic but a winner.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Did anyone used to use the bottled concentrated stock, I think it was Knorr, maybe at some point called "touch of taste"? Does anyone know if this or an alternative exists any more? M&S used to do concentrated stock in a jar but I can't see that now either.
The packaging of the fancy pots seems wasteful and sometimes I don't need that amount. Insta advertised me some stock in tubes but there were added herbs which i wouldn't always want.
Also Morrisons does spreadable butter in a tub with Lurpak colours, but it's just called "Spreadable", not like Lurspread or Spreadpak. Does anyone know if this is a Lurpak dupe? x
I did, haven't seen them in ages.

Don't know about Morrisons but Aldi have a dupe called Norpak. 😂

Reactions: 7
In case anyone wanted a forensic breakdown of the vegan Archie the Caterpillar cake:

1. Price
- It's normally £6.99 but I got it on offer for £4.19. The OG Colin is £7 so there's no vegan tax. They both serve ten.​
2. Cake structure
- Normal caterpillar cakes are swiss rolls but Archie is a cuboid slab comprising two sponge layers sandwiched with chocolate buttercream which is obviously CHEATING.​
3. Cake flavour
- It's standard shop-bought sponge with a not particularly pronounced chocolate flavour. It is perfectly acceptable. In terms of texture I wouldn't say it's moist but it's definitely not dry and it holds together well.​
3. Cake coating
- Colin has a chocolate shell, this one is just buttercream on the outside.​
4. Decorative additions
- Tiny sprinkles are not an adequate replacement for chocolate beans.​
5. The face and feet
- Colin has chocolate face and feet, Archie has fondant face and feet. Everyone knows that chocolate is always better than fondant. I feel like Archie looks less terrifying than Colin so he has that going for him.​
I'm posting out slices of Archie to Australia because there's no way I can reasonably consume the whole thing by myself before he expires.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
In case anyone wanted a forensic breakdown of the vegan Archie the Caterpillar cake:

1. Price
- It's normally £6.99 but I got it on offer for £4.19. The OG Colin is £7 so there's no vegan tax. They both serve ten.​
2. Cake structure
- Normal caterpillar cakes are swiss rolls but Archie is a cuboid slab comprising two sponge layers sandwiched with chocolate buttercream which is obviously CHEATING.​
3. Cake flavour
- It's standard shop-bought sponge with a not particularly pronounced chocolate flavour. It is perfectly acceptable. In terms of texture I wouldn't say it's moist but it's definitely not dry and it holds together well.​
3. Cake coating
- Colin has a chocolate shell, this one is just buttercream on the outside.​
4. Decorative additions
- Tiny sprinkles are not an adequate replacement for chocolate beans.​
5. The face and feet
- Colin has chocolate face and feet, Archie has fondant face and feet. Everyone knows that chocolate is always better than fondant. I feel like Archie looks less terrifying than Colin so he has that going for him.​
I'm posting out slices of Archie to Australia because there's no way I can reasonably consume the whole thing by myself before he expires.
Buy three freezers and put him in there!

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Oooo!!! I am in Bonnington quite a bit!! I will message my... contact...who lives there and ask if he's seen such filth. How thrilling!!!!
Bonnington Rd on the side of the Scotland Kilt Co? I understand it’s in red with a small likeness of a cock and it has wanker misspelled

(Adds “graffiti in EH postcodes” to list of interests after “sheep who live right up north”)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I love that we really are a shady cabal, communicating through the medium of graffitied profanities across Edinburgh.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I am actually going to freeze the remainder of his butchered corpse tomorrow, unless someone can think of a really good and maverick way to use up caterpillar leftovers. Toastie? Rice pudding? Pizza? Curry? Salad? Open to all suggestions.

• Haha
  • Heart
Bonnington Rd on the side of the Scotland Kilt Co? I understand it’s in red with a small likeness of a cock and it has wanker misspelled

(Adds “graffiti in EH postcodes” to list of interests after “sheep who live right up north”)
OH em jeezus in Jane Street! I was there on Wednesday. There are 2 micro breweries and a shortbread factory. The misspelling of Wanker is a lovely touch... I.... I can't think of any other ways to spell it tho.

I was in a pub in Leith on Wed...and someone opened the door, yelled in "wankers!!!!", Then shut the door .

Must be a Leith thing.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
OH em jeezus in Jane Street! I was there on Wednesday. There are 2 micro breweries and a shortbread factory. The misspelling of Wanker is a lovely touch... I.... I can't think of any other ways to spell it tho.

I was in a pub in Leith on Wed...and someone opened the door, yelled in "wankers!!!!", Then shut the door .

Must be a Leith thing.
Bloody hipsters

• Haha
I am actually going to freeze the remainder of his butchered corpse tomorrow, unless someone can think of a really good and maverick way to use up caterpillar leftovers. Toastie? Rice pudding? Pizza? Curry? Salad? Open to all suggestions.

i would of course usually say bung it in a curry, but it's I'm a celebrity season and they're blending everything this year

it's gonna have to be blended archie with pig's uterus I'm afraid

• Haha
  • Sick

Must be a Leith thing.
I was in Leith last week for the free onstreet parking and had one of ^those^ bagels and stained my fingerless gloves with mustard. That'll teach me.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Sorry, bit of a me rail but I have been offered the job I went for. I nearly cried when I got the call. Honestly, I have had such a tough year with separating and getting divorced and my self esteem is at rock bottom. I am so happy. The job will really make a difference to peoples lives who have a disadvantage. I would love to tell you what its is but 🔺. I just hope I can do it justice.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 33
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.