Food and Drink #20

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've actually never had an english/irish or scottish breakfast, does this mean I am not British? :ROFLMAO: I like all the components (except bacon) but cannot imagine it as a morning meal

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
I've actually never had an english/irish or scottish breakfast, does this mean I am not British? :ROFLMAO: I like all the components (except bacon) but cannot imagine it as a morning meal
I often have it as a Sunday brunch

Reactions: 9
Are you thinking of Maggi?
No what I used to get wasn't Maggi, but I will have a look to see if they have what I'm after in their globe spanning offerings now you've mentioned them, thank you.

Reactions: 5
I have been BUSY so just grunked the last few pages of this thread. I love the shift in gear and the topics covered over such a short space of time!

Back to a few pages ago we were talking about the cost of childcare and making career choices. I had two in nursery and continued to work at a high level, then took a lesser paid role with more flexibility. Its been at such a cost to my career as every single job I have had since has been pegged to the lower paid role, despite my employers having the benefit of someone with the experience of two decades in a highly skilled and strategic role. Its such a difficult choice for women and although it was my choice to spend more time with my children (which I loved) I feel like I am now paid less than my peers despite having more experience in the sector.

@Sideboard Bob I totally get where you are coming from with the social anxiety. Its something I have never thought about but there have been times I have put my children in breakfast club to avoid the school run recently when I just cant face other people. Sorry, no advice, I just know how it feels.

@traumatised sideboard chilli jam in that burger would be great. I sometimes have it on sourdough bread with avocado when I am feeling FANCY. I usually get mine from a muddy puddle.

Other updates:
  • I don't like peanut butter
  • I do like the idea of a cooked breakfast but it all ends up too much for me. Too disordered.
  • I like the new man too much, its never going to amount to anything.
  • I have had an interview for a job that I don't think without the encouragement of this thread I would have applied for. So many of you have done so well recently and I felt I could take a chance.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I have been BUSY so just grunked the last few pages of this thread. I love the shift in gear and the topics covered over such a short space of time!

Back to a few pages ago we were talking about the cost of childcare and making career choices. I had two in nursery and continued to work at a high level, then took a lesser paid role with more flexibility. Its been at such a cost to my career as every single job I have had since has been pegged to the lower paid role, despite my employers having the benefit of someone with the experience of two decades in a highly skilled and strategic role. Its such a difficult choice for women and although it was my choice to spend more time with my children (which I loved) I feel like I am now paid less than my peers despite having more experience in the sector.

@Sideboard Bob I totally get where you are coming from with the social anxiety. Its something I have never thought about but there have been times I have put my children in breakfast club to avoid the school run recently when I just cant face other people. Sorry, no advice, I just know how it feels.

@traumatised sideboard chilli jam in that burger would be great. I sometimes have it on sourdough bread with avocado when I am feeling FANCY. I usually get mine from a muddy puddle.

Other updates:
  • I do like the idea of a cooked breakfast but it all ends up too much for me. Too disordered.
  • I have had an interview for a job that I don't think without the encouragement of this thread I would have applied for. So many of you have done so well recently and I felt I could take a chance.
COngrats on getting an interview! keeping my fingers crossed for you ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 13

Other updates:
Good luck with your interview.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Did anyone used to use the bottled concentrated stock, I think it was Knorr, maybe at some point called "touch of taste"? Does anyone know if this or an alternative exists any more? M&S used to do concentrated stock in a jar but I can't see that now either.
The packaging of the fancy pots seems wasteful and sometimes I don't need that amount. Insta advertised me some stock in tubes but there were added herbs which i wouldn't always want.
Also Morrisons does spreadable butter in a tub with Lurpak colours, but it's just called "Spreadable", not like Lurspread or Spreadpak. Does anyone know if this is a Lurpak dupe? x
I haven't used it (stock) but I know the stuff you mean. Looks like you can't get it now. If it's a meat stock you want, Bovril is just beef stock concentrate, Morrisons do their own version of it too which is cheaper.

I've had that spreadable butter, it was ok but, such a bugger to actually get out with a knife! Slides all over the shop 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Yup :) Mine was sausage, streaky bacon, smoked bacon, haggis, black pudding, mushrooms, tomatoes and two eggs either fried, scrambled or poached. No fried bread or baked beans, sadly, probably too posh a hotel for that :( Often in Scotland you'll get lorne sausage as well, also known as square sausage.
Wot no tatty scones?

Ewwww hairy bacon

• Haha
am I some kind of peanut butter bleep then because I'll have any old own brand version?

always crunchy though. there is no space for smooth outside of reese's cups

• Heart
Nope, no tattie scones either. I'd forgotten about those, you can tell I'm an English incomer ;)

• Haha
I’m so behind on commenting so just sending love to all

am I some kind of peanut butter bleep then because I'll have any old own brand version?

always crunchy though. there is no space for smooth outside of reese's cups
Same. I had the Kellogg’s crunchy nut one recently as a sub though and that was tasty but too much £ for me to buy regularly!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
I haven't used it (stock) but I know the stuff you mean. Looks like you can't get it now. If it's a meat stock you want, Bovril is just beef stock concentrate, Morrisons do their own version of it too which is cheaper.

I've had that spreadable butter, it was ok but, such a bugger to actually get out with a knife! Slides all over the shop 😂
Oh great idea thank you of course yeah Bovrils the beefiest, I do keep that/alternative in. One thing that can muster a bit of cosiness in a hospital for me too (mainly from back in the times when you were given the leeway to wait around with people not trying to hint I've ever had to be in one for long).
I prob used the concentrated chicken stock the most, but theres so many chicken flavoured seasonings and stocks and maybe I'm overestimating the quality of the bottled stuff anyway.

Ok won't take that spreadable butter at its word and will approach it with appropriate caution thanks.

• Heart
I need this Nigella recipe. It’s sprouts, pasta, potato and cheese.
Thank you for this. I am on my own tonight (which generally ends with granola) so I will make this and it can last for both of us tomorrow.

You always find the best recipes!

Reactions: 8
Thank you for this. I am on my own tonight (which generally ends with granola) so I will make this and it can last for both of us tomorrow.

You always find the best recipes!
I signed up for recipes to be sent by email from Nigella and that was today’s offering.

When you make it, please post a picture. My oven is broken, so can’t make it. 😥

I cooked these and put on top of cheese on toast for breakfast/brunch. I try to always keep a package in the freezer. I heat/defrost in a pan on stovetop. Good for dinner too. Can add egg.

Attachments

Last edited:
According to a Gap email I just received, everything on their UK site is 60% off until today.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
IMG_20211130_105827.jpg

Think this was mentioned on the MT. I was influenced! That is macaroni cheese, pigs in blankets in a Yorkshire pudding from Iceland. The shop, not the country.
It was ok. Nothing more than that. Quite filling but not much flavour. Would buy again if it was on offer but not full price.
To atone for my sins, out for a steak tonight!

According to a Gap email I just received, everything on their UK site is 60% off until today.
Is there a code? There's a jumper I want from there, I just looked online and it still shows as full price £59.95, no banners about 60% off. Maybe it's only for subscribers.

Reactions: 2
I got the info in an email, and I believe it finished yesterday. It was 50% off everything and then there was an additional 10%.

Reactions: 3
M&S used to do a peanut butter with maple syrup and it was the absolute tits, it was amazing. They stopped that and meatzza (pizza but with a sausage meat base instead of bread, for the low-carbers) and I've fell out with them ever since.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.