Food and Drink #20

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am another one who has butter with peanut butter on a sandwich! Whole Earth crunchy peanut butter and a cheap Tesco vegan spread 👩‍🍳 💋

I went to meet some friends today and had social anxiety. I’ve had lots of experience with anxiety, but luckily never social anxiety until today.

It’s just because I am going through depression at the moment (I’m not saying this in a sad-fishing way just to explain). Just now my brain rejects anything “good”.

To be honest it gave me even more respect for people who deal with social anxiety frequently, I’d always empathised, but now I know how it feels and ugh, it’s mentally and physically hard, and it must be so hard dealing with that on a daily basis, when we’re in such a socially-orientated world.

I am so lucky, I’ve always been able to just walk into a room of strangers, and not be shy. I’ve always been considerate of my more introverted friends, but now I have a bit more understanding of what it’s like, and just so much respect and admiration for anyone dealing with that.
Skippy it’s got to be skippy

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I am another one who has butter with peanut butter on a sandwich! Whole Earth crunchy peanut butter and a cheap Tesco vegan spread 👩‍🍳 💋

I went to meet some friends today and had social anxiety. I’ve had lots of experience with anxiety, but luckily never social anxiety until today.

It’s just because I am going through depression at the moment (I’m not saying this in a sad-fishing way just to explain). Just now my brain rejects anything “good”.

To be honest it gave me even more respect for people who deal with social anxiety frequently, I’d always empathised, but now I know how it feels and ugh, it’s mentally and physically hard, and it must be so hard dealing with that on a daily basis, when we’re in such a socially-orientated world.

I am so lucky, I’ve always been able to just walk into a room of strangers, and not be shy. I’ve always been considerate of my more introverted friends, but now I have a bit more understanding of what it’s like, and just so much respect and admiration for anyone dealing with that.
You speak about this so well and sorry that you are going through this. Social anxiety can be crippling at times and people just assume you are being antisocial and want to stay at home but the feeling is entirely different.

I think although we are talking about MH more now in society, people still have a very reductionist idea of what certain conditions entail. Depression = sadness, ED= not eating , anxiety= stressed out. The fact is there is so much cross over between them. You can have psychotic episodes without being classified as psychotic, ED can cause you to have social anxiety due to the fear of eating in front of people etc. Particularly with depression, the feeling of not being good enough transfers to every part of life.

Acceptance by society is coming but I am not sure understanding is 100% there yet. MH is so complicated, unless you have experienced it, it is very difficult to fully empathise.

People still tell me things which will set off a day or two of not eating followed by bingeing (even though I have asked them not to mention weight loss, how their diet is going etc).

I know it is corny, but my mantra was to just complete each day.❤🤗

The general consensus in this house is vegan spread and peanut butter.

But NEVER without spread. Skippy is last resort 🤣🤣🤣.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
You speak about this so well and sorry that you are going through this. Social anxiety can be crippling at times and people just assume you are being antisocial and want to stay at home but the feeling is entirely different.

I think although we are talking about MH more now in society, people still have a very reductionist idea of what certain conditions entail. Depression = sadness, ED= not eating , anxiety= stressed out. The fact is there is so much cross over between them. You can have psychotic episodes without being classified as psychotic, ED can cause you to have social anxiety due to the fear of eating in front of people etc. Particularly with depression, the feeling of not being good enough transfers to every part of life.

Acceptance by society is coming but I am not sure understanding is 100% there yet. MH is so complicated, unless you have experienced it, it is very difficult to fully empathise.

People still tell me things which will set off a day or two of not eating followed by bingeing (even though I have asked them not to mention weight loss, how their diet is going etc).

But NEVER sunpat 🤣🤣🤣.
Why not? It‘s very underrated. There are lots of Waitrose customers cheesed off that it’s no longer sold there. Waitrose subbed their own essential range. I get mine at Iceland.😋

Attachments

Reactions: 4
Why not? It‘s very underrated. There are lots of Waitrose customers cheesed off that it’s no longer sold there. Waitrose subbed their own essential range. I get mine at Iceland.
I think it is just personal preference. 😊.

Reactions: 5
I am in U.K. skippy is my fav
Not very easy to find.

But NEVER without spread. Skippy is last resort 🤣🤣🤣.
More for moi!

• Heart
Thank you for saying that, I totally agree - we've been away for the weekend and I swear I'm half a stone heavier than I was on Friday!! The hotel we were staying in has the most amazing restaurant, it used to be overseen by Albert Roux, but they've gone independent now without any drop in quality. So on Friday night I had a celeriac and apple veloute poured into a bowl around a quinelle of horseradish mousse, followed by Angus beef with locally-foraged mushrooms, shallots and tenderstem broccoli, and then something they called Textures of Chocolate for dessert, which was two chocolate biscuits sandwiched together with salted caramel, a chocolate cake and something else which I've promptly forgotten but was bloody delicious. Then last night I had duck rillette on truffle brioche with figs to start, followed by roast partridge with a partridge pithivier, salsify, bread sauce and a madeira jus, and then strawberry and lemon sorbet to finish.

Absolutely amazing and also they do a three-course breakfast menu - you start with either porridge, homemade muesli, vanilla-poached pears in homemade yoghurt or a fruit and berry bowl, then you have a choice of a full Scottish, kippers, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs or an omelette, and then it's toast, croissants and pastries. I failed to reach the croissants and pastries stage both mornings!
yummmm . out of interest what is in a full scottish?

• Heart
I hate peanut butter, it's minging. 😑 Rest of the household eats it though, I tend to buy the 100% nuts ones for them, where possible, even though it's a pain stirring it each time.

@heretoreaditall2019 I've just switched to Sainsbury's from Morrisons, as although Morrisons has a really good variety, most of it lately has been out of stock. Sainsbury's has been much better, and on the whole I find their food good quality (albeit we've had issues a couple of times with citrus fruits recently). Our Sainsbury's delivery comes from one of the local stores, which luckily is a big one. Morrisons came from a 'dark store', or warehouse in other words.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
yummmm . out of interest what is in a full scottish?
Usually addition of haggis , fried bread and maybe black pudding alongside all the usual suspects! And some antacids as a chaser 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I am so sorry cable but you’re wrong, Whole Earth peanut butter is where it’s at. And it’s an abomination to have peanut butter on toast without an ample layer of butter (or equivalent) first.

Message ends

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I’m loving the peanut butter chat and how loyal we all are to specific ones 😂.

For the record Meridian Peanut butter - prefer crunchy but currently have the smooth version due to little people. Though I also like the Pip and Nut Almond butter.

And always butter/spread on bread regardless of if sauce is involved or how fresh the bread is.

Reactions: 6
I am so sorry cable but you’re wrong, Whole Earth peanut butter is where it’s at. And it’s an abomination to have peanut butter on toast without an ample layer of butter (or equivalent) first.

Message ends
All I remember about whole earth was a nasty bitter taste, one bite, and jar went in bin 🤢
meridan haven’t had the peanut, but love the cashew and almond

Did anyone used to use the bottled concentrated stock, I think it was Knorr, maybe at some point called "touch of taste"? Does anyone know if this or an alternative exists any more? M&S used to do concentrated stock in a jar but I can't see that now either.
The packaging of the fancy pots seems wasteful and sometimes I don't need that amount. Insta advertised me some stock in tubes but there were added herbs which i wouldn't always want.
Also Morrisons does spreadable butter in a tub with Lurpak colours, but it's just called "Spreadable", not like Lurspread or Spreadpak. Does anyone know if this is a Lurpak dupe? x

Did anyone used to use the bottled concentrated stock, I think it was Knorr, maybe at some point called "touch of taste"? Does anyone know if this or an alternative exists any more? M&S used to do concentrated stock in a jar but I can't see that now either.
The packaging of the fancy pots seems wasteful and sometimes I don't need that amount. Insta advertised me some stock in tubes but there were added herbs which i wouldn't always want.
Also Morrisons does spreadable butter in a tub with Lurpak colours, but it's just called "Spreadable", not like Lurspread or Spreadpak. Does anyone know if this is a Lurpak dupe? x
Are you thinking of Maggi?

Usually addition of haggis , fried bread and maybe black pudding alongside all the usual suspects! And some antacids as a chaser 🤣
Yup :) Mine was sausage, streaky bacon, smoked bacon, haggis, black pudding, mushrooms, tomatoes and two eggs either fried, scrambled or poached. No fried bread or baked beans, sadly, probably too posh a hotel for that :( Often in Scotland you'll get lorne sausage as well, also known as square sausage.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.