Food and Drink #19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Universal I hope I am very beautiful in your head šŸ˜‚ I treated my body like complete trash until I started going to the gym three years ago and the only thing I use on my face is soap and water so it is quite unfair.

@heretoreaditall2019 it turns out you can't use the app without uploading a photo. It actually told me to aim for six photos. Six! Look at this nonsense. Smiling? I don't smile, I'm miserable! Be yourself? I'm trying to attract people not scare them off. When I opened up my camera app it was on the front facing camera, I saw myself at that angle and was like nope, absolutely not šŸ™…ā€ā™€ļø

an unreasonable ask.png

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Donā€™t be so hard on yourself @traumatised sideboard I bet you look amazing. Although Iā€™m with you on the smiling thing Iā€™m not a smiler and being told to smile makes my resting witch face work harder.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Has everyone else got 6? Or canā€™t you look until you join fully?
They make sure theyā€™re real pics as well, you canā€™t just put 5 of Sideboard Cat up. Mind you one says ā€œno filterā€ so is it accepted now that everyone does pink curtain portrait iPhone pics?

@Universal I hope I am very beautiful in your head šŸ˜‚ I treated my body like complete trash until I started going to the gym three years ago and the only thing I use on my face is soap and water so it is quite unfair.

@heretoreaditall2019 it turns out you can't use the app without uploading a photo. It actually told me to aim for six photos. Six! Look at this nonsense. Smiling? I don't smile, I'm miserable! Be yourself? I'm trying to attract people not scare them off. When I opened up my camera app it was on the front facing camera, I saw myself at that angle and was like nope, absolutely not šŸ™…ā€ā™€ļø

View attachment 768524
Oh TS, I'm not exactly an oil painting, but am no longer afraid of the selfie camera.

If I'm in the wrong position, I tend to look either like a potato, or about 70, so I just delete those ones and forget about them.

Stand somewhere nice, get the phone at arms length and take a few. You'll find one that'll do just nicely xx

• Heart

View attachment 768524
On Match you dont have to upload 6. Last year I uploaded one of me in sunglasses but smiling at first as I wanted to have a look around the site and see other people profiles before I committed to an actual photo of me. For some reason a selfie in the car does me some favours (might be the natural light) so try that. In my head you are strong, confident and beautiful so channel that when you take the pic!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I'm no expert on selfies, but holding the camera slightly above you so you're looking up at it gives a much more flattering angle, when I open my front camera and it's low down, I look like that Mama June person from the Honey Boo Boo programs šŸ˜‘

• Haha
Reactions: 16

View attachment 768524
The front facing camera is horrific to us all, not a single soul will just open that and take SIX impromptu pics like theyā€™re testing for Mario Testino. Sounds ridiculous but could we take learnings from Jackā€™s cartoon era and put some artsy cool filters on like colours and lights etc and just go undercover until you feel confident enough to ~reveal~

@EddieBeds solidarity frau, one day we will sleep and have a natural glow.

Does anyone on this thread use a tens machine for back pain theyā€™d recommend pls? Itā€™s not for me itā€™s for my sister who has sciatica (sp??) x

Reactions: 10
Iā€™ve had to learn to do a ā€œcamera smileā€ my real life beam does not photograph well. Half the time it works and I look happy, the other half like a nut.

• Haha
Just popping in to say thanks to @heretoreaditall2019 for the Python-related recommendations and I'm going to get cracking on that this weekend. Also been looking at the Google Tech Support certification but I'm constantly swinging between wanting a career and sticking to my current job cos I can do what I want.

Celebrating today because the place I work has closed for maintenance and I was worrying about pay (zero hours but de facto full time contract due to length of employment, given my experience of my industry as a whole I was expecting to have to call the union) but the big boss appeared, told me to leave when the workmen do, and I'll be paid til I usually finish at 8pm. It's lovely when everything works out and I've been home since about 12.

• Heart
Oof, what a week. As of two days ago, I am director of my own limited company - the date my first accounts are due is already indelibly imprinted on my brain!

Popped up to check the sheep yesterday and April is moulting the short white hair on her face. She decided my legs were the perfect scratching post, because I was wearing jeans and hadn't put my waterproof overtrousers on - I came home COVERED in hair! They're all fit and well, though I did think I'd lost them to start with as only three (Nibbles, Mrs Orf - so named because she had a mild outbreak of orf just before lambing started - and number 34) turned up when I called. But I kept walking further out and calling them and I could hear the occasional BAAA coming back at me and eventually I got to the edge of one of the valleys and about 50 very puffed out sheep came trotting up the side - not just my missing ones, but about 15 of one neighbour's and 15 of another's! So there was a bit of a punch up over the food, but afterwards I sat there for a while and the other two part-flocks drifted away in opposite directions and I could have a head count to check everyone was present and correct. The six ewes who still have lambs with them are a bit thinner than the rest, so when they come in for worming and tick treatment in the next fortnight I'll keep the lambs in so they can learn how to eat hard feed and get their independence before rejoining the rest in the spring. Ewe lambs we keep are allowed to wander loose around the village eating all the long grass on the verges, it teaches them a bit of road sense in a safe environment (the village is fenced in on two sides and has sea on the other two sides), but it's wise to get them bucket trained before letting them out of the field!

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Wow sheep society is sooooo complicated!
If your limited company doesnā€™t have a director called Ms V. Squiggle I donā€™twant to know you

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Wow sheep society is sooooo complicated!
If your limited company doesnā€™t have a director called Ms V. Squiggle I donā€™twant to know you
Sadly Ms V. Squiggle can't remember her date of birth, so isn't eligible to be a....oh, hang on, they're not wild sticklers for accuracy on that, are they?? ;) Sheep are amazing in their ability to (a) sort themselves out into their own flocks when they're all mixed together and (b) recognising their shepherds. Most of the flocks on our hill will ignore humans who they don't recognise and move away if the human goes towards them, but come towards the one(s) they do. Apart from my lot, who are far too friendly and therefore end up getting brought back in with other flocks because April's logic goes something like 'There is a human collecting sheep. When my human comes up to see me she has food. Therefore that human must have food because his sheep are going to him. I am going to get the food,' and then she takes about half the rest with her. I'm very used to getting a message saying 'Your sheep are in the fanks' and having to go down with a bucket to take them back out!

• Haha
  • Heart
Sadly Ms V. Squiggle can't remember her date of birth, so isn't eligible to be a....oh, hang on, they're not wild sticklers for accuracy on that, are they?? ;) Sheep are amazing in their ability to (a) sort themselves out into their own flocks when they're all mixed together and (b) recognising their shepherds. Most of the flocks on our hill will ignore humans who they don't recognise and move away if the human goes towards them, but come towards the one(s) they do. Apart from my lot, who are far too friendly and therefore end up getting brought back in with other flocks because April's logic goes something like 'There is a human collecting sheep. When my human comes up to see me she has food. Therefore that human must have food because his sheep are going to him. I am going to get the food,' and then she takes about half the rest with her. I'm very used to getting a message saying 'Your sheep are in the fanks' and having to go down with a bucket to take them back out!
so interesting, I thought pigs were supposed to be the most intelligent of livestock animals, but sheep sound even more intelligent!

Reactions: 6
I'm no expert on selfies, but holding the camera slightly above you so you're looking up at it gives a much more flattering angle, when I open my front camera and it's low down, I look like that Mama June person from the Honey Boo Boo programs šŸ˜‘
Someone posted this link on another thread, it really work.

I think it was in advice, about how to look more polished and groomed.

Reactions: 7
Right, which one of you is on the parenting website posting about sex dreams involving Matt Tebbutt and his forearms? Can't link for obvious reasons...

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
Just popping in to say thanks to @heretoreaditall2019 for the Python-related recommendations and I'm going to get cracking on that this weekend. Also been looking at the Google Tech Support certification but I'm constantly swinging between wanting a career and sticking to my current job cos I can do what I want.

Celebrating today because the place I work has closed for maintenance and I was worrying about pay (zero hours but de facto full time contract due to length of employment, given my experience of my industry as a whole I was expecting to have to call the union) but the big boss appeared, told me to leave when the workmen do, and I'll be paid til I usually finish at 8pm. It's lovely when everything works out and I've been home since about 12.
Sorry Iā€™ve not replied my love Iā€™ve been ~mulling it over~ and always worry that speaking about careers veers on m*msnet braggery, I say this after commenting on another thread telling someone not to volunteer herself into a prenup and to seek legal advice on her undivorced baby daddyā€™s financial position loool. Anyway:
Iā€™ve never seen that cert but personally have had similar ummimg and ahhing in not knowing whether to commit to certifications, I nearly did in mat leave (after a horrible situation with work and pregnancy that gave me tit low self esteem) but I didnā€™t purely as I think theyā€™re more for people looking to pivot or agency side who want to sell themselves to prospective clients but if youā€™re pivoting career I think itā€™s a good thing to do even if just to show intent (especially if itā€™s free or cheap)! Plus it depends on ur learning style, some people will only study if they have an end deadline in sight, some people love that thrill of achievement, but some people are happy just pottering with their own projects? Only you know how you like to learn! Thereā€™s tons of online learning platforms like udemy, coursera, the oā€™reilley subscription package etc, they are good but pls donā€™t ever feel pressured to spend a lot and especially not tens of thousands at places like general assembly unless like their alumni you have minted parents to fund you through it, cos tbf they do have gr8 job connections.

Other resources: #100daysofcode on Twitter is a great community and an idea to get you into things, with the idea of doing something for an hour a day for 100 days makes you competent? Also you can nose at other peopleā€™s projects for inspiration? Look at hashtags for languages or programs youā€™re using, most of them have quite active people who create cool things and obviously you have Reddit and stack overflow. YouTube too! I wish I could speak more on this stuff but scared of doxing self lol.

Re: job versus career, honestly been there very recently from the slightly different angle of motherhood but get you completely. I love my job & have done well in my career but itā€™ll always have to be second priority to my husbandā€™s outlier career as it simply isnā€™t possible for me to replicate his salary, so Iā€™ve had to make concessions and will never be a big dog & wonā€™t go back full time til sheā€™s in school (addicted 2 cuddles x) but that doesnā€™t mean RIP to everything. Like I genuinely think a career in cyber tech can be very supportive of whatever life/work balance you want to achieve. Like there are SO many remote roles (I can find you the remote newsletter I was subbed to) or hybrid roles with really family positive employers (even if you donā€™t want kids looking at their mat/pat policies indicate the level of niceness, same with sick leave), and obviously youā€™ve got Glassdoor for the tea.

I mean there are bigger things to discuss too but I genuinely see automation as both a huge opportunity for dev and data teams but also a huge disadvantage for lots of industries & skillsets, thereā€™s no way of predicting the future but being competent in at least one programming language & data literate will only help, this is probs less relevant for our generation as change is always at a glacial pace but v important for my šŸ‘¶šŸ¼s imo!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Fun fact (or maybe not): Slopbot was potentially going to be a Python chatbot until I realised that was far too complicated and it would be easier (for me, knowing nothing about coding other than some now obsolete HTML) to make him a random sentence generator in JavaScript. Sorry if that's ruined the mystique. He may genuinely be psychic though, his accuracy is much like an egg - otherwise inexplicable.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Fun fact (or maybe not): Slopbot was potentially going to be a Python chatbot until I realised that was far too complicated and it would be easier (for me, knowing nothing about coding other than some now obsolete HTML) to make him a random sentence generator in JavaScript. Sorry if that's ruined the mystique. He may genuinely be psychic though, his accuracy is much like an egg - otherwise inexplicable.
Random sentience generator, dear heart. He must never look into one of those mirrors for that very reason.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.