Food and Drink #19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am on my lunch hour so thought that I would give you a quick update. I have been having daily conversations with the economist on Whatapp about work, plans for when he is next here etc. He is really nice and while not being conventionally attractive is so my type. I cant see it working in the long run as he travels so much so I'll just enjoy him while I can as everything was so good last week and I want to do it all again. The one thing that has irked me a bit is the fact that he has casually mentioned more than once that he earns a lot of money. He didn't need to mention it as I can work it out to some extent but so what??? It was in the context of me saying it must be hard to work and travel so much and he replied 'well they are paying me more money than I can possibly spend so its worth it'. It might be me as I grew up relatively poor and have a decent paying job now but I don't even tell my friends what my salary is as money was always some kind of issue when I was young. We will see.

So, after the longest dry spell ever I have had a couple of other interesting texts this week. Honestly during the summer months I turned the notifications off on my phone as I would go for days without anyone texting me (male or female) and it made me so sad and lonely. So indulge me for telling you.

On Monday I went to drinks after an event with a group of people that I have been working with online and I joked when I got there that I should have worn my heels as they were all so tall. I had to get home early and they were all talking about the other bars they wanted to go to and I said I would come along next time. One of the men from the team ordered me a taxi (not unusual they are always make sure the women get a taxi or to the station in a nice way) and he then texted me later to ask if I had arrived home safe. Then he texted to say that next time I should wear my heels and he would take me to the bar he was in as he thinks I would like it.

Then yesterday the nice ex sent me a text as one of the MPs I was working for last year was given a Cabinet job and he said he saw the news and thought of me then asked me out for a meal.

Whats going on???? I have been invisible to the opposite sex for years and this happens in a week. Can someone check the status of the moon as I am having my own little chaos.

Re: eyes, going to put it under a spoiler lest you feel like I am an #ad peddler
I’ve been told the eyes thing is genetics tbh but saying that, The Ordinary’s buffet *with copper* (annoyingly the £30 one rather than the £10 one) is very very good for this and has worked nearly immediately for me re: skin, the colouring is all genetics apparently. I feel like I look 600 years old purely for dropping my skincare routine in pregnancy out of fear of chemicals then refusing to sleep train. Lord help me.

It won’t let me tag Jay cloth cow clearly misremembering her username but how are you getting on? ❤
@Jay-cloth Cow how are you doing? Do you have a (real) black eye now from the fall (as opposed to a Bobbi Brown one). Hope you are emotionally recovering from its all.

@heretoreaditall2019 I am sold. I would spend any amount to get rid of them.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
The one thing that has irked me a bit is the fact that he has casually mentioned more than once that he earns a lot of money. He didn't need to mention it as I can work it out to some extent but so what???
I get why that irks you completely and is defs on my list of things that give me the ick. However saying that I largely think men do that out of insecurity & because they believe it’s a hook to get women interested in them, which I can simultaneously feel sorry for them + their evidently low self esteem but also be worried by it because it suggests they think that’s of value to women/me specifically? Idk it’s a minefield but not something I would love to have to hear IRL, at least on WhatsApp you can ignore it or pull a face in the privacy of your own home.

Re: that peptides stuff, it won’t fix discolouration but should puff out that area so it’s less noticeable? Even if it doesn’t help with eyes it should help with other fine lines tbh. I get so nervous recommending things in case they’re trash, tho cult beauty are always doing discount codes so that should help mitigate some risk.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Oh ok sorry. I have aged loads during lockdown and due to the stress of getting divorced. If I had the money I would get the bags under my eyes 'done' because they make me look like and old hag. I hate photos of me now as its all I see.
Im 65, late menopause induced by chemo 5 years ago, so I have been bald as an inexplicable egg but am now lockdown hairy with bristles, both of which make me quite defensive about some comments directed at transwomen.

Reactions: 11
Ha I love how I can triangulate your ages just from the above! I am the same age as Sir Matt of the Forearms.

I had a good look at my skin in the unforgiving light in the office life today. Basically I need to drink more water and less wine as a start!

@heretoreaditall2019 thankspaceyou for your lovely and considered reply. I am just out to Scouts and will reply later.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I get why that irks you completely and is defs on my list of things that give me the ick. However saying that I largely think men do that out of insecurity & because they believe it’s a hook to get women interested in them, which I can simultaneously feel sorry for them + their evidently low self esteem but also be worried by it because it suggests they think that’s of value to women/me specifically? Idk it’s a minefield but not something I would love to have to hear IRL, at least on WhatsApp you can ignore it or pull a face in the privacy of your own home.

Re: that peptides stuff, it won’t fix discolouration but should puff out that area so it’s less noticeable? Even if it doesn’t help with eyes it should help with other fine lines tbh. I get so nervous recommending things in case they’re trash, tho cult beauty are always doing discount codes so that should help mitigate some risk.
I have got my glasses on now and I meant to say that I seen myself in the office lift mirror today. Its a brutal overhead light and shows up all your flaws. I have ordered The Ordinary + Copper as I use the their products already and like them. Thanks for the recommendation. I am not vain at all but a year of seeing my face on Teams calls while drinking too much wine and getting divorced from a head has been hard.

Thanks for your thoughts @heretoreaditall2019. He is confident in his job but was quite nervous when we met last week so it may just be him showing off on some level. I just cringe when someone feels that their worth is in £. He is so nice in real life and from the same background as me and its something I cant imagine him saying face to face. Clearly I have issues!

Reactions: 10
I recently invested £4 in the ordinary squalane and it’s amazing.
I am in need of a “glow up” as the youth say.

• Heart
Writing down skincare tips here, particularly for my eyes which accurately portray how little sleep I’ve had. I’m using Jordan Samuel eye gel at the moment which is quite nice but has failed to produce miraculous results!

I was really enjoying my dermatica prescription as an overall face texture improver, but as it’s got tretinoin in it, I have guilted myself into not using it until after I’m done with the whole pregnancy and breastfeeding malarkey. The things we do!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Rather than getting older and looking more like a man, I am finding that the older I get the more I look like a young boy and it has nothing to do with make-up, facetune, pink curtains or rejuvenating sunbeams. You would think that looking younger would be great, except I am constantly patronised by people saying things like 'of course you won't remember a time before the internet' or laughing at me when I had over my ID. A couple of weeks ago I got crept on at the gym by a bloke in his late-50s who is (allegedly) a photographer trying to build up his portfolio and wanted me to model for him. His face fell when I told him I was almost 31 and not 20, like he thought.

In case anyone is going to ask me what the secret to looking young is, it's smoking on and off for 16 years, constant anxiety and eating a lot of plants. Good luck, try not to Benjamin Button yourself too far with my patented TS Rejuvenation Method as there isn't any way to undo it.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
She is pretty but she has a kind smile (ironic given she’s known for Serena Joy) I reckon she’d be a laugh on a night out.
I am at the age where I’ve started to look like a man
I first knew Yvonne from the show Chuck (which I loved). She played a CIA, tough but with a heart, who fell for Chuck, played by Zachary Levi (more recently of Shazam! fame).

ZL used to hold a San Diego Comicon adjacent event called Nerd HQ. He and Yvonne had great chemistry together. I love she seems to be a down to earth Aussie.

This is long, won't be offended if nobody views but I loved this...

Reactions: 3
Rather than getting older and looking more like a man, I am finding that the older I get the more I look like a young boy and it has nothing to do with make-up, facetune, pink curtains or rejuvenating sunbeams. You would think that looking younger would be great, except I am constantly patronised by people saying things like 'of course you won't remember a time before the internet' or laughing at me when I had over my ID. A couple of weeks ago I got crept on at the gym by a bloke in his late-50s who is (allegedly) a photographer trying to build up his portfolio and wanted me to model for him. His face fell when I told him I was almost 31 and not 20, like he thought.

In case anyone is going to ask me what the secret to looking young is, it's smoking on and off for 16 years, constant anxiety and eating a lot of plants. Good luck, try not to Benjamin Button yourself too far with my patented TS Rejuvenation Method as there isn't any way to undo it.
Jealous tbh you sound ✨radiant✨. Most importantly have you done any undercover research on the apps? How are they?

I know this isn’t m*msnet but bleeping hell parenthood is hard isn’t it. At 00.50 she decided to show mercy and fall asleep on my chest but here I am on tattle putting off the inevitable transfer to cot.

• Heart
Jealous tbh you sound ✨radiant✨. Most importantly have you done any undercover research on the apps? How are they?

I know this isn’t m*msnet but bleeping hell parenthood is hard isn’t it. At 00.50 she decided to show mercy and fall asleep on my chest but here I am on tattle putting off the inevitable transfer to cot.
Solidarity. Am sat here, albeit at a later hour wondering if I risk the transfer to cot. All the ambrosia in the world isn’t helping with teething.

Have also added that Ordinary Bugget to my skincare list for when my current serum runs out. I find the Beauty Pie Pure Ceremides eye peptide thing really nice as it has mini roller things built in when you apply so feels like you’re having a nano second of a face massage as you apply. It’s helped with puffiness under my eyes too.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I have got my glasses on now and I meant to say that I seen myself in the office lift mirror today. Its a brutal overhead light and shows up all your flaws. I have ordered The Ordinary + Copper as I use the their products already and like them. Thanks for the recommendation. I am not vain at all but a year of seeing my face on Teams calls while drinking too much wine and getting divorced from a head has been hard.

Thanks for your thoughts @heretoreaditall2019. He is confident in his job but was quite nervous when we met last week so it may just be him showing off on some level. I just cringe when someone feels that their worth is in £. He is so nice in real life and from the same background as me and its something I cant imagine him saying face to face. Clearly I have issues!
Here’s a possible take on your date mentioning his earnings money. Could it be that he wants you to know that he won’t be asking to borrow any money from you in case that’s happened to you in the past. Maybe he intends to spoil you a bit.

• Heart
@traumatised sideboard I don't know why but I have a really strong vision of you in my head from the way you have described yourself! My sister has the most unhealthy lifestyle and a chronic illness that means she cant work but regularly gets asked for ID when buying fags even though she is in her 30s.

@heretoreaditall2019 and @EddieBeds I remember those days. The point at which you try to make the transfer of the baby to the cot without tipping either end enough to wake them. I think that's a tough stage of parenting because you are constantly busy and exhausted. It gets easier.

I am really going to start with the healthy eating and lots of water from today. I have ordered the squalene and am researching retinol. Genetics plays a big part too but that I cant change!

@Mustard thank you, I have reread his messages and think he was trying to impress me or defend the fact he travels a lot. He is in his 50s and I think that people assume its all glamourous for him but it must be unsettling and frankly exhausting. His other messages since have been about my weekend plans with my children and what he is up to. I think someone without my history would have laughed it off or scrolled by.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.