Food and Drink #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We all know how to cook, sometimes it's a good thing to branch out and try different flavours and cuisines. I'd have no problem paying for a Zoom class if I knew I'd be getting support and quality content. Not like buying a badly edited book with sloppy content and recipes that appeal to nobody. Not even the local Scout group.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
You shouldn't really need online classes, certainly no need to pay for them. Couple of things you need to be a good cook.

Good quality pots/pans/knives/whisk and scales.

Learn the basics but learn them well, learn to grill, fry, bake, stir fry and simmer. Get to know your stove and its little foibles like hot spots in the oven or grill. Once you get these basics mastered all you need is a recipe and maybe a picture of what you want to re-create.

bon appetit :)
I know the skills thanks. I was taught them by my mum and grandmother. I used to be able to cook lovely meals.

Unfortunately, various factors have meant I have lost all confidence in the kitchen.

Thanks for the advice though 🥰.

Question. Can I use a smol fork for a whisk?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Maxsplaining
Indeed LOL

Honestly folks, get those real basics sorted and your confidence will lift and you'll move on from "I'm going to try and make this" to "I am going to make this". I'm lucky I grew up in a 'foodie' household where mom and dad were fantastic cooks and involved me in preparing food from a very young age but they drummed into me how getting the simple stuff right was the key to cooking.

Have fun with cooking, who cares if you mess up a dish first time round, thats no big deal, food is a great way of relaxing and spending time with friends and loved ones.

Tonight is a late dinner and i've got Ox Tail cooking in red wine in the slow cooker for when my lad gets off duty tonight :)

Indeed LOL

Honestly folks, get those real basics sorted and your confidence will lift and you'll move on from "I'm going to try and make this" to "I am going to make this". I'm lucky I grew up in a 'foodie' household where mom and dad were fantastic cooks and involved me in preparing food from a very young age but they drummed into me how getting the simple stuff right was the key to cooking.

Have fun with cooking, who cares if you mess up a dish first time round, thats no big deal, food is a great way of relaxing and spending time with friends and loved ones.

Tonight is a late dinner and i've got Ox Tail cooking in red wine in the slow cooker for when my lad gets off duty tonight :)

max, please.

foodie doesn't need quotation marks

thats needs an apostrophe

oxtail is one word, no need for capitalisation either

get those real basics sorted and your confidence will lift and you'll move on from "I'm going to try to mansplain to these people" to "I am going to mansplain to these people" 🥰🥰🥰

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
I'm lucky I grew up in a 'foodie' household where mom and dad were fantastic cooks and involved me in preparing food from a very young age but they drummed into me how getting the simple stuff right was the key to cooking.
Snap.

But Max darling, tit got in the way, I lost all my confidence and now I don’t have the money to waste on food that may turn out like slop.

Have fun with your cow swishy thing. I am having crumble.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
WOW did I hit a raw nerve
max, please.

foodie doesn't need quotation marks

thats needs an apostrophe

oxtail is one word, no need for capitalisation either

get those real basics sorted and your confidence will lift and you'll move on from "I'm going to try to mansplain to these people" to "I am going to mansplain to these people" 🥰🥰🥰
WTF has my grammar got to do with cooking? I'm trying to encourage people to become better than they are and you nit pik...well done you.

@maxrigger Most of us have been cooking for our friends and families for years. I learned to cook by helping my mum and my nana make traditional French-Canadian dishes. I have friends from different cultures and countries that have made their home in the country I live in now and I've learned tips and tricks from them too. My husband is Norwegian/Sardinian, my main group of girlfriends are Dutch, Vietnamese and South African so I've nabbed a few of their recipes to try myself.

With all due respect, you're coming across as either condescending, patronising or just plain tit stirring. We all manage to get along here despite our differing ages and lifestyles so please respect that and think before you stick your oar in.

• Heart
WOW did I hit a raw nerve

WTF has my grammar got to do with cooking? I'm trying to encourage people to become better than they are and you nit pik...well done you.
you haven't hit any nerve at all because I know you're taking the piss.

please get a better hobby 🥰🥰🥰

Reactions: 12
He can’t sit with us.
Slightly on topic I used to be able to cook however due to various issues with my functioning I had not bothered for a long while. Back in the day I did three course roast dinner no problem, even with Chicken that I don’t eat.

I treated myself to the discount Hello Fresh box a few weeks ago and that really got me cooking again.
I don’t have the energy or £ to be ruining dinner (looking at you Fack Monroe)

The specific ingredients, delivered to the doorstep, with the recipe cards really helped. I enjoyed the recipes and have recreated them with normal supermarket stuff. What I do now is lay out the ingredients in little Tupperware pots I have, plastic bowls, chopping board. This way I don’t forget to add anything. I can set up the prepped stuff early on, do the chopping etc then have a rest. Later I cook it.

Max posted on the Jack thread a few times.
Max is of the opinion that Jack’s recipes are great and work well if you follow them. Although he’s never tried one. There is a theme developing.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.