Food and Drink #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If there is no Jack chat, can I join in too? I liked the olive oil in a spray bottle idea. I would like to lose weight, but love both olive oil and carbs.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
If there is no Jack chat, can I join in too? I liked the olive oil in a spray bottle idea. I would like to lose weight, but love both olive oil and carbs.
Yes, absolutely! You might see lovely lambs, super spaniels and canny cats as well!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Oh, it’s you again. What larks, hey? Stop looking for threads to wind up.
I'm not winding anybody up, as it happens I'm a great cook and enjoy making, talking and eating food. If you have a problem with me then as a moderator please take it private, your open message was uncalled for.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
But no slop! We are a slop free zone, only real food here with identifiable ingredients
What if we try to make something from identifiable ingredients that is meant to be nice but turns out slop like?

Are we still allowed to be here?

Asking for a person who might be a friend, really isn’t funny anymore and definitely has lost the ability to cook in the last 18 months (buts eatsgranola out of the box.)

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Was just wondering if any of you were familiar with an American food show called "A Chef's Life"?

I started watching it during our super-size lockdown this spring, it wasn't on Food Network or anything, I just chanced upon it on TG4 here in Ireland.

It follows the life of a chef in North Carolina, Vivian Howard, as she runs her own restaurant, and later brings out a book.

I actually think it is one of the best food series ever made, it's mainly documentary but with little recipe type interludes also.
It is so well made and so so genuine. And it makes me look at Southern American food so differently: there is a whole world of dishes out there.
Anyone else like this show ?

Reactions: 6
Does anyone else find this a bit disturbing?
I am not at all convinced, personally, that saying
'This is a million miles from “fat shaming.. it is up to each person to decide for themselves whether they are too heavy for their own health and happiness.'magically guarantees that it won't be at all triggering.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Was just wondering if any of you were familiar with an American food show called "A Chef's Life"?

I started watching it during our super-size lockdown this spring, it wasn't on Food Network or anything, I just chanced upon it on TG4 here in Ireland.

It follows the life of a chef in North Carolina, Vivian Howard, as she runs her own restaurant, and later brings out a book.

I actually think it is one of the best food series ever made, it's mainly documentary but with little recipe type interludes also.
It is so well made and so so genuine. And it makes me look at Southern American food so differently: there is a whole world of dishes out there.
Anyone else like this show ?
I haven’t heard of it, but sounds 😘.

Currently in love with Molly Yeh and her programme Girl meets Farm. If I am in the mood later I might make a laminated list of my top 5 food programmes (Spoiler: Barefoot Contessa is and always will be numero uno.)

Reactions: 3
@MerchantOfTea I haven’t heard of it but sounds like a good show!
I was the exact same, I had never hear of it, and I thought I had watched every food show going. It really is great. The problem is I have no idea where you could watch it even if you wanted to!

I haven’t heard of it, but sounds 😘.

Currently in love with Molly Yeh and her programme Girl meets Farm. If I am in the mood later I might make a laminated list of my top 5 food programmes (Spoiler: Barefoot Contessa is and always will be numero uno.)
A top 5. Now that would be controversial! I might put some thought into that myself . . .

Reactions: 5
The guardian loves this sort of thing and I have heard Michael Mosley claim similar.

Unfortunately there is so much misinformation around at the moment regarding food and diet, particularly in light of covid that it is hard to see the wood for the trees. I follow Joshua Wolrich, a doctor who is trying to pick apart the good research from the bad in this particular area.

As someone who has suffered from eating and exercise issues for years and only now has begun to truly admit to them and acknowledge the damage it has done to me and my wife, it takes so much effort to ignore those articles and try to focus on normal eating. Each day is a challenge. But being encouraged to eat 800 calories whilst I am in a daily battle to delete MFP is so hard to ignore. Sorry for TMI and the ranty me-rail.
'This is a million miles from “fat shaming.. it is up to each person to decide for themselves whether they are too heavy for their own health and happiness.'magically guarantees that it won't be at all triggering.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
The guardian loves this sort of thing and I have heard Michael Mosley claim similar.

Unfortunately there is so much misinformation around at the moment regarding food and diet, particularly in light of covid that it is hard to see the wood for the trees. I follow Joshua Wolrich, a doctor who is trying to pick apart the good research from the bad in this particular area.

As someone who has suffered from eating and exercise issues for years and only now has begun to truly admit to them and acknowledge the damage it has done to me and my wife, it takes so much effort to ignore those articles and try to focus on normal eating. Each day is a challenge. But being encouraged to eat 800 calories whilst I am in a daily battle to delete MFP is so hard to ignore. Sorry for TMI and the ranty me-rail.
Thank you so much for this - it feels like such irresponsible reporting and it's currently everywhere. I work not a million miles away from the Professor in question and cannot believe that no one more important than me is pointing out to him that diabetes can be managed, if not cured, more effectively than most eating disorders

• Heart
Reactions: 10
as it happens I'm a great cook and enjoy making, talking and eating food.
Not knowing the difference between a teaspoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of olive oil could be problematic though 😂 and the food would taste odd!

My son made mint aero brownies recently, they were so so so good. Actually dangerous good, and he's forbidden to make them again for a while!

Reactions: 13
Not knowing the difference between a teaspoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of olive oil could be problematic though 😂 and the food would taste odd!

My son made mint aero brownies recently, they were so so so good. Actually dangerous good, and he's forbidden to make them again for a while!
Are they brownies with chunks of mint Aero ?

Reactions: 5
Taylor’s “Newcastle” weight loss programme is a clinically proven method of reversing early type 2 diabetes and his approach is currently being rolled out to people with the condition by the NHS. It involves cutting your calorie intake to 700-800 calories a day. In the book, he explains how the people in his programme managed to do this – typically by consuming only slimming meal shakes and non-starchy vegetables, plus one cup of tea or coffee each day with skimmed milk – lost a life-changing amount of weight in just eight weeks. And how you can do the same, safely, at home.
This doesn't sound safe at all for me, speaking as a T2 diabetic.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Taylor’s “Newcastle” weight loss programme is a clinically proven method of reversing early type 2 diabetes and his approach is currently being rolled out to people with the condition by the NHS. It involves cutting your calorie intake to 700-800 calories a day. In the book, he explains how the people in his programme managed to do this – typically by consuming only slimming meal shakes and non-starchy vegetables, plus one cup of tea or coffee each day with skimmed milk – lost a life-changing amount of weight in just eight weeks. And how you can do the same, safely, at home.
This doesn't sound safe at all for me, speaking as a T2 diabetic.
God, I've just read more of that article. His ideas sound frankly dangerous to anyone.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.