Food and Drink #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can't get my head around someone simultaneously mansplaining the simplicity of cooking and championing Jack Monroe. Maybe have a word with Jack, Max mate, they need it more than anyone here.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Fraus, it has been A Week in the lamb field.

Monday evening - notice that one of the number 8 lambs looks very slightly lame after jumping off the ruined building. Make a mental note to have a look at her again in the morning to make sure she's better.

Tuesday morning - number 8 lamb still limping, no better, no worse. Take a bit of video and message Experienced Farmer Friend to see if she thinks it's a sprain or joint ill. (Joint ill is an infection lambs can get from tick bites and it's been a bad year for ticks here so far). EFF messages straight back to say looks like joint ill, give 2ml of antibiotics and if I pop over to hers she'll give me some pain as well.

Tuesday afternoon - collect painkiller from EFF, who is up to her ears in yelling lambs because she's dosing hers, go home, take sheep over the road to communal pens without losing too many of them off down the road, fail in an epic manner to catch lamb in the big grass entry pen (they're still flipping fast even when they've got a sore leg), so run them through the pens into the narrow race where I trap the two 8 lambs and their mum. Pick up a lamb, check it has a brown patch on its left foreleg, matching the one in the video, administer two injections, put it back down. Think I'll just have a look at the other one....who also has a brown patch on its left foreleg, but unlike her sister, has a swollen right knee. Yes, I injected the wrong flipping lamb. Ring EFF and confess, go back to her place (she was still laughing when I arrived), get more painkiller, inject correct lamb, give her a blob of blue spray on the head so I can pick her out easily and take them back over the road.

Wednesday morning - go to the field with some trepidation, as last time I had a joint ill case it took nearly a week to clear up and got worse before it got better. Find number 8 lamb pinging around happily, totally sound, and breathe a huge sigh of relief.

Thursday morning - notice that Badger is very slightly lame. Swear. Lots. Watch her for a bit and it's intermittent, so decide to leave her for the day and have another look at tea time.

Thursday afternoon - load up quad with crook, antibiotics and sheep food, thinking that if I take everything I need down with me, Badger will be sound and I won't need it. Get to field, Badger comes racing up the field with her mum. Hooray. Go to quad to grab feed bucket and notice that Badger is standing on three legs and doesn't want to put the fourth one to the ground. Not hooray. Take sheep over the road to pens, losing quite a lot of them off down the road this time, get Badger and mum in the feeder pen to the race, which is nice and small, have a lovely big Badger cuddle while I give her the injection, get everyone back in the field and then go home and confess to Mr F that his beloved baby has a sore leg.

This morning - one very happy Badger literally bouncing around the field on all four legs. Phew.

Hopefully that's the last of it, they were all given a tick treatment eight days ago so shouldn't have picked up any new bites since then, but my learning points for next year are (a) give all lambs a tick treatment at three days old rather than waiting until marking, and (b) shuffle my grazing around so they don't go into a field next to where the deer come through in the mornings - our weather has been so bad that there's not much for the deer to eat, so they've been getting pretty cheeky. The neighbour next to that field told me the other day she's seen them coming up and eating from my hay ring, which is the lambs' favourite place to play, so no wonder the poor things have been getting bitten.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
God it’s all so complicated with these sheep isn’t it? If it’s not sore ankles it’s sore knees, ticks, and they need hay and buckets of sheep toffee and they get stuck in places. Fair play to you Falkor. Is your sheepdog still on furlough?

Reactions: 14
It's getting late and I had my second COVID jab this morning which may be why I'm making myself hoot with the idea of a black metal band comprised of all our corpse painted cabal animals. I can't work out if Badger is fuming or devious in this context.

cabal animal under a rose copper moon.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
It's getting late and I had my second COVID jab this morning which may be why I'm making myself hoot with the idea of a black metal band comprised of all our corpse painted cabal animals. I can't work out if Badger is fuming or devious in this context.

View attachment 584673
I can't get over this, I'm crying.
Cabal should do a Purrzum cover, Susan does a great scream when she's rampaging around the house.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
God it’s all so complicated with these sheep isn’t it? If it’s not sore ankles it’s sore knees, ticks, and they need hay and buckets of sheep toffee and they get stuck in places. Fair play to you Falkor. Is your sheepdog still on furlough?
Sheep do have a quite remarkable number of ways to come to grief! Yes, dog still on sofa, but as long as no more go lame on me he can start having a short run on them next week, just to teach the lambs they need to stay with their mums when I move them and not just stay playing in the field!

@traumatised sideboard Badger is going to be so proud, thank you for that!!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Local high end deli advertising cantaloupes on their Insta account. I contact them to ask how much they are. £5 for a half! What???

Local high end deli advertising cantaloupes on their Insta account. I contact them to ask how much they are. £5 for a half! What???
I feel like I should go there and take a picture of these gold standard melons. Maybe ask for a sample too. Was told the ‘season’ had just started.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Why does Ocado sell M&S yoghurts for less than a local M&S near me? Popped into one next to a station and they were 80 pence but 75 pence at Ocado? Maybe they are less at a normal Foodhall.
A94B859A-8480-4CAC-B387-19AA03664606.jpeg

Reactions: 3
Why does Ocado sell M&S yoghurts for less than a local M&S near me? Popped into one next to a station and they were 80 pence but 75 pence at Ocado? Maybe they are less at a normal Foodhall. View attachment 585299
I remember reading that when ocado started and it was jsut waitrose things were sometimes cheaper than in stores

Reactions: 3
Cos every day was a party day for Keith 😂
when forearms matt introduced the clip and said something about it making him cringe I imagined it would be eating something like bugs or whatever, never would have guessed that :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I remember reading that when ocado started and it was jsut waitrose things were sometimes cheaper than in stores
It’s even cheaper if you order five of them. It’s just bizarre.

Reactions: 2
M&S in store do this weird thing where a smaller portion is often more expensive than the bigger - eg the cranberry lemonade is £1.something for 500ml but 1L is about 80p. I noticed when Ocado first got them they seemed to be trying to even that out a bit, maybe the yog has the same thing? More for less kind of makes sense in store where someone might only want enough for lunch but less sense for Ocado.

Reactions: 4
I don't understand at all how this is in either of the supermarkets' interest
Ocado have had that yogurt deal since they partnered with M&S. i think I’m going to start mixing curd and compote into plain yogurt.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.