Food and Drink #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I couldn’t see any thread suggestions, nor engage my brain to think of something witty!

Welcome one and all for all things food and drink and all things not food and drink related.

Recap of last thread: @Falkor provided beautiful lambing updates. 🐑 💕

Thanks Poca for your Food and Drink for Dummies - have copied from previous thread!

Some words we use on here and what they mean

Lots of us on here originate from the Jack Monroe threads, and because of this we use some in-joke words and phrases. Everyone is welcome, of course, so here is a post from Switch that might help:
I love that we've organically basically created our own phrases and words – it’s like the internet equivalent of a regional accent!

All are welcome here! Please do feel free to talk about food/drink/life in general! To avoid any confusion some common things/words you might see:

Fraus / frauen – the witty ladies and gentlemen of the Jack Monroe threads were once referred to as a ‘a cabal of sad little hausfraus’ or something like it and we all loved it and adopted it as a term of endearment (so you may see someone say ‘hey fraus!’ Or ‘how are the cabal today?’ Or sometimes bastardised to 'canal')

🔺️ – triangulation warning! (as in to make yourself potentially locatable/identifiable to a washed up food blogger with a 100% success rate in court and an obsession with tattlers)

Grunking/having a grunka/a grunka lunka – to catch up on lots of posts (named after the wonderful @GrunkaLunka )

'Now duck off xx' – you might see us put this at the end of our posts, but we're just joking around don't worry!

‘I’M BUSY/something about a piss and a sandwich’ again mocking Jack Monroe who on #31 of her threads joined Tattle and tried to turn it into her bloody diary with a bunch of long self pitying posts, but had the nerve to ask if she ‘could go now’ for a piss and a sandwich to which the cabal were like ... ‘Yes please. Go. We have been telling you to leave for hours.’

ALSO:

MT or Mother Thread means the Jack Monroe thread.
  1. We might mention Vladimir Putin / ‘Vlad’ and be paid with bitcoin.
  2. Please feel welcome to join in - the thread is about food and drink, but also everything and anything else.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
@Falkor The squiglets are adorable and I love that our Frau Vivienne Squiggle knew she could trust you with her babies genuinely that's so touching 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Would love to do the 500 coast. Friends converted a van into a camper so we're hoping to tag along with our tit tent sometime and then take full advantage of their facilities (and delightful company, obvs)

Loving the lambs <3

In other news - on Monday my doctor could 'see' but couldn't grasp my hormonal IUD strings so once again the change to copper IUD didn't happen (first time in March the pharmacy sent the wrong size coil) so I'm now on a gynae referral as I need a hysteroscope. Due to Covid-19 I might be waiting a year :( ...which I 100% understand like I am NOT a priority (my amazing lady doctor is putting me down as urgent though) but I am sad because I want to turn my lights back on by getting rid of these blinking hormones. My physical health is improving although periods every two weeks with spotting ain't the greatest but I just don't feel like myself...you know? I'll risk a blood bath every month to feel human for the other three weeks.

In food related news, I have finally made a Thai-type curry that isn't bland in comparison to it's restaurant Schwester using this recipe:
Subbing out the Golden Mountain for Hendy's because sauce is sauce is sauce am i rite?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
I've never been to Scotland, but would love to go for a walking holiday there one day! Long-distance walks are a passion of mine (I began a six-week walk at the start of March last year...great timing eh? Had to go home and into lockdown after 9 days!).

I'm gonna make mini spinach puff pastry pies for lunch. It's a bit grey and miserable here today, and something pastry-based will really hit the spot!

Reactions: 10
To be fair, I'd avoid the NC500 this summer - it's going to be a nightmare. Last year was bad enough and Visit Scotland is predicting numbers are going to be even higher than this year. We like visitors, but many of the ones who came up last year because they couldn't get to Europe had no respect for our environment. I'm talking about people setting up tents inside a scheduled ancient monument and using a corner of it as a toilet, camper van waste tanks being emptied at the roadside or into our streams, people stealing pallets stacked on crofts ready for putting hay bales onto to burn on their campfires, parking camper vans in gateways, driving into people's fields to camp - all sorts of things. And a journey that normally took me 25 minutes on single track roads was taking me anything up to an hour because people didn't understand the rules about giving way or couldn't reverse their hired campervan 15 metres back up the road into a passing place. Wait until Spain and the Canary Islands are open for business again and you'll have a much nicer visit :)

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
To be fair, I'd avoid the NC500 this summer - it's going to be a nightmare. Last year was bad enough and Visit Scotland is predicting numbers are going to be even higher than this year. We like visitors, but many of the ones who came up last year because they couldn't get to Europe had no respect for our environment. I'm talking about people setting up tents inside a scheduled ancient monument and using a corner of it as a toilet, camper van waste tanks being emptied at the roadside or into our streams, people stealing pallets stacked on crofts ready for putting hay bales onto to burn on their campfires, parking camper vans in gateways, driving into people's fields to camp - all sorts of things. And a journey that normally took me 25 minutes on single track roads was taking me anything up to an hour because people didn't understand the rules about giving way or couldn't reverse their hired campervan 15 metres back up the road into a passing place. Wait until Spain and the Canary Islands are open for business again and you'll have a much nicer visit :)
Thanks for the advice. Seeing that sort of thing would genuinely give me a panic attack and really affect the trip. I'm still working on the eco-anxiety and fear and trying not to lose it whenever I see people disrespecting flora, fauna and water.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Sadly, I'm not surprised. We've had big problems here with overcrowding in the mountains/beaches/countryside at the weekends and over public holidays, as people stay in Catalunya rather than going abroad. Everyone tends to congregate in the same spots, and it's caused a lot of problems with infrastructure, litter, and so on.

Unrelated, but I just had the most spectacular dessert of balsamic macerated strawberries, whipped mascarpone (with a bit of vanilla), and my homemade strawberry sorbet. I have more for tomorrow so will post a picture then. I am really starting to get my cooking mojo back, and it feels great!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Tinned mango as recommended by Jack on DKL I just rewatched it

I bought tinned mango a few weeks ago and it was vile was I unlucky or does it not tin well? I eat other tinned fruit albeit not Mel Donte

Reactions: 7
Tinned mango as recommended by Jack on DKL I just rewatched it

I bought tinned mango a few weeks ago and it was vile was I unlucky or does it not tin well? I eat other tinned fruit albeit not Mel Donte
I have found good tinned mango, the problem is when it is in syrup imo, everywhere i go the mangos seem to be :LOL: underripe otherwise and especially in lockdown etc i didn't want to be standing in the supermarket touching loads of different fruit

Reactions: 8
I have found good tinned mango, the problem is when it is in syrup imo, everywhere i go the mangos seem to be :LOL: underripe otherwise and especially in lockdown etc i didn't want to be standing in the supermarket touching loads of different fruit
This was Tesco own brand in juice I try to never throw food away but in went in the bin

• Sad
Reactions: 7
This was Tesco own brand in juice I try to never throw food away but in went in the bin
I cannot remember the brand I got it was some random one I got in a corner shop owned by sri lankans that has loads of south east asian stuff, sorry not at all helpful!

Reactions: 5
Frozen mango is good if you can get it - admittedly not for just eating, but great for smoothies/purees/ice cream etc. Tinned mango sounds a bit bleh.

Reactions: 12
Tinned mango is awful, the texture is like a bruised fresh mango, it's so soft and slippery. The only fruits I think benefit from being tinned are pineapple (so you can easily add a hat to your meal without butchering a real pineapple) and mandarins (my favourite part of the trifle my grandma used to make).

Reactions: 13
Tinned mango is awful, the texture is like a bruised fresh mango, it's so soft and slippery. The only fruits I think benefit from being tinned are pineapple (so you can easily add a hat to your meal without butchering a real pineapple) and mandarins (my favourite part of the trifle my grandma used to make).
I like a tinned peach as well as pineapple and mandarins

Reactions: 11
I like a tinned peach as well as pineapple and mandarins
i have a soft spot for tinned peaches and call me Jack Monroe but i think that tinned pears taste nicer than fresh because the syrup makes them juicy. Fresh pears are so gritty and never ripen!

I'm really craving a big fresh juicy nectarine now

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Looooove tinned peaches and pears. I keep a tin in the fridge cos I like them cold 😂

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
@Pocahontas ...do you sit and eat them in front of the television as a snack and also take a tin of them with you on the train? They're not Del Monte brand are they? 🕵️‍♀️

I buy fresh pears from the supermarket every week for about five months of the year. The trick is to buy them three days before you want to eat them, I've never had a problem with them ripening that way. I'm looking forward to nectarine season too Blurst, I get massive nectarines off the market that are <chef's kiss> the loose ones in supermarkets always shrivel up and never ripen.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.