Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Oxford_Girl

Chatty Member
Darling Fraus

I’m looking for some advice I’m over 50 never really done make up but would like occasionally to look a bit more polished I liked how Emma and Anna looked on SKL the heavily made up look is not for me

I’m looking to even out skin tone hide blemishes and look well rested

Ideally in five minutes with five products at most yes I realise the SKL make up almost certainly took longer and used a lot of products

Can anyone in this canal point me to a good YouTube video or cosmetic counter pre pandemic I tried Boots and it was a disaster

Thankyou

Reactions: 6

NP

VIP Member
Asda are now doing their own fishless fingers in their Plant Based range. They have good reviews so they might be worth a try?

Mustard

VIP Member
I’ve got a pot of @blurstoftimes Blurst Beans on the go and I’m very excited. Just bringing it to the boil now. I’ve been thinking about this for months and only got round to buying the 7 spice (couldn’t find 9 spice) and am using very fancy Italian tinned tomatoes I got in Waitrose.
Can this recipe be posted again please?

• Heart
I really don't like the Belgian chocolate Haagen Dazs,
This is a relief, I’ve been putting off checking the date cos I know it’ll knock me sick 😂

did you ‘plan’ your children so they could wear the hand me downs at the right time of year?!
I’m amazed this is a thing, it’s v savvy & I’m amazed anyone is able to do that tbh our journey was very different lol. How is BB doing with his milk and hospital stuff? That’s amazing he’s so big now, love a chunky baby x

@emm yhe opposite - LOVE mushrooms but don’t get ppl eating them raw at all

• Haha

MerchantOfTea

Was just wondering if any of you were familiar with an American food show called "A Chef's Life"?

I started watching it during our super-size lockdown this spring, it wasn't on Food Network or anything, I just chanced upon it on TG4 here in Ireland.

It follows the life of a chef in North Carolina, Vivian Howard, as she runs her own restaurant, and later brings out a book.

I actually think it is one of the best food series ever made, it's mainly documentary but with little recipe type interludes also.
It is so well made and so so genuine. And it makes me look at Southern American food so differently: there is a whole world of dishes out there.
Anyone else like this show ?

emm

VIP Member
I always have one on me! MCs are more like dogs, they love to hang out with their humans.
my half MC doesn;t seem to have got the memo! :LOL: albeit my kitten is filling the void (probably only as he is tiny and will become awful later :LOL:)

• Haha

Flumps

VIP Member
Sorry for the off topic but struggling to sleep because it’s one of those nights you’re on the cusp of a panic attack? Has anyone got any podcast recommendations that aren’t about killers please but also are not annoying? The true crime ones tend to have the pace and tone that can get you to sleep but I can’t be listening to shit about Peter sutcliffe rn!!! But also can’t deal with an overly chirpy person discussing SATC. These are the only two interests I have clearly. any recs massively appreciated 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
I'm a bit late to this.. but my recommendations as someone with a very similar brain are:

Oh No, Ross and Carrie - the hosts go on investigations/try out religions, alternative therapies and such like and report back. Tag line 'we show up so you don't have to'. They are brilliant and there are a lot of them. I would recommend the Rythmia, Scientology and Mormon investigations (multi part series all of them) to start with, but the single episodes on various alternative therapies are great for a lighter listen (though none of it's really heavy going). I love this podcast so much.

You're Wrong About - lovely hosts, lots of interesting stuff with a different look on the recent past and social phenomena from the 90s. Particularly love the episodes on misunderstood famous (or notorious) women - Anna Nicole Smith, Lorena Bobbit and Tonya Harding in particular, but they're all good.

Under-understood - fairly light investigations on things that are hard to find answers to on the internet. There's quite a lot of data/stats analysis in some of these, which I feel might appeal to your brain!

They are all chill enough for me to feel calm but interesting enough to be distracted at the same time.

Oh, and I also have a secret love of the Catfish podcast, but have watched the TV show for years because am class act, and I don't know how well it works if you aren't already a fan. I should think it would if you want something really light but somewhat interesting in terms of how humans are.

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
my pet hate is when people use idiomatic/fixed phrases slightly wrong but things that sound the same (for this I mean for native speakers of course, god knows english is a nightmare to learn) things like "I could care less", I listen to a true crime podcast, both hosts are native usa and make soooo many mistakes like this
Isn’t this called an eggcorn?
reality tv programmes are a good place to find them as well, anything featuring the public (yes that sounds snobby)
“well, a bird in the hand saves nine” no it fkn doesn’t Tony!!!

• Haha

emm

VIP Member
Darling Fraus

I’m looking for some advice I’m over 50 never really done make up but would like occasionally to look a bit more polished I liked how Emma and Anna looked on SKL the heavily made up look is not for me

I’m looking to even out skin tone hide blemishes and look well rested

Ideally in five minutes with five products at most yes I realise the SKL make up almost certainly took longer and used a lot of products

Can anyone in this canal point me to a good YouTube video or cosmetic counter pre pandemic I tried Boots and it was a disaster

Thankyou
I have no idea where you live, obviously, but if you have a good department store near you with a makeup section they usually have various cosmetic counters for various brands, where I am the tutorials are usually free if you buy some products afterwards

Reactions: 5
I have a bit of a personal question that I don’t dare ask anyone who knows me

Does anyone have any tips for calming themselves down before one? I get really just insanely anxious at the mere idea, the last couple I’ve dragged someone along to but obviously with COVID that’s not an option this time. I know it’s such a stupid thing to be scared of and logically I know the nurse will be understanding and patient but the mere thought of it is making me panic.

• Sad
  • Heart

Pocahontas

VIP Member
I did a hair donation the other day for a cause that is close to my heart (15 inches so I am now practically bald) so wanted to see if I could post a link to the charity's website along with the before and afters of the back of my head to see if anyone wanted to donate as a sort of sponsorship but wasn't sure if it would be within the rules/a bit gauche darling etc!
@Jay-cloth Cow - as long as it’s posted here and not in the Jack thread (and you’re ok with any privacy issues) then it should be ok!

Last edited:

Cgenda

I suggest you use a full cotton mask to try to prevent flares, and even suggested using an old, soft, tshirt to turn into a mask. Make sure you wash in gentle powder after every use.

Are you wearing surgical masks for work? I bought a soft cloth mask but that's probably not much use if you're in a medical setting.

emm

VIP Member
This was Tesco own brand in juice I try to never throw food away but in went in the bin
I cannot remember the brand I got it was some random one I got in a corner shop owned by sri lankans that has loads of south east asian stuff, sorry not at all helpful!

Mustard

VIP Member
Hi all, was away a while but back now for more informative and mind broadening content.
Am after following the hype and after getting an air fryer. I am doing good with it so far, but I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences.
The highlight for me so far was a fakeaway spice bag. It was off the charts delicious
What is a spice bag?

NP

VIP Member
Omg a 4 month cutie 🥰 I know it’s easier said than done but could you go out for a walk when he’s due to nap and pray he falls asleep? You are then trapped outside for half an hour plus although if you can access ur garden from the back then you can leave him out there. A high risk but high reward plan!

Tomorrow morning planning to play the nap game and potentially hustle the time for an undisrupted cup of tea and some FANCY unrinsed beans on toast at a cafe, and start one of my new podcasts from you guys (thank you!!) 🥰
We had a morning out in the pushchair, just around a few shops, which always sends him to sleep thankfully. But I also have an almost 3 year old who is a bit of a live wire so it’s never the gentle, quiet walk I hope for! I hope your undisrupted cafe time works out tomorrow. Sounds like absolute bliss.

• Heart

Aquamarina

Chatty Member
Ireland's single greatest contribution to Asian fusion cuisine.

Chips
Chicken strips
Onions
Peppers
Chilis
Secret Spice Bag Seasoning (which I think has shitloads of salt, some 5 spice, dried chili and I bet MSG)

Any of the irish folks here will attest to how tasty this is
Sure you know yourself. It’s in my regular Chinese takeaway order. Mr Aquamarina also does a cracking homemade spice bag.

Mustard

VIP Member
Can anyone recommend a good clothes steamer? Also, one of these that doesn’t cost £22.
5FBF5AB5-F281-47D7-8E02-10AC5A20D440.jpeg