Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

emm

VIP Member
Urgh, Fraus with other children, did you ‘plan’ your children so they could wear the hand me downs at the right time of year?! Little Beds and Baby Beds were born different ends of the year and I just pulled down a load of clothes from the loft and they’re still f&@£ing winter clothes! Baby Beds is even a size ahead of his peers (the irony that the baby who fell off the centile chart is now the other end of it) but still not into the summer clothes Little Beds had 😩. Totally first world problems I know!

I made a veggie ragu (Hairy Bikers) using mushrooms and lentils and ngl am really impressed with it. While I enjoy raw mushrooms not much of a fan of them cooked but this worked really well. I also have a bag of plant based ‘mince’ from IKEA - has anyone else used it? I’ve not got round to using mine yet so curious to see if anyone else has!
I don;t have children but do people really have this level of organisation?!
ooh this sounds yum! side note but I don;t think I have ever met anyone who doesn;t like cooked mushrooms only raw :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 3

maxrigger

That is actually a really tough one, because salad dressings normally have olive or sunflower oil in them, and one tbsp of either is 120 calories !

That's why i tend to make ones that have a good bit of balsamic and wholegrain mustard and as little oil as I can get away with.
How big are your spoons!!!! olive oil is around 40 calories per tablespoon. Watch the wholegrain mustard too, lots of added hydrogenated oils and sugar are added to most brands.

I never buy ready made dressings, non are as good as home made. Nothing to stop you using plain lemon juice on a salad, or perhaps vinegar or flavored vinegar. White wine with tarragon added adds a good flavour and keeps forever. If you have a small spray bottle in the kitchen give salad a quick spray of oil just before serving, the oil 'mist' works well on salad and sprinkle a little lemon or balsamic on the salad too.

• Heart

emm

VIP Member
TBH English is a pretty easy language to learn. Grammatically it's incredibly simple - no gender, verb conjugation is really basic, no declinations, etc. Most learners find pronunciation to be the hardest part. Even then, though, English pronunciation varies a hell of a lot between regions, making it significantly more forgiving than, say, French.

It's interesting because the mistakes that non-natives make tend to have little in common with the mistakes that natives make; it would be incredibly rare for a non-native to produce "could of" in writing, for example.

I taught English as a foreign language for 10 years and subsequently I don't really care about most mistakes people make. The only ones that really irritate me are the ones that are an attempt to sound more intelligent/sophisticated - the misuse of "and I" when it should be "and me", "whom" used when it should be "who" and, worst of all, the terrible abuse of reflexive pronouns in phrases like "please get in touch with myself". That's just painful! 😖
kind of OT, but (without triangulating yourself) what did you move into after 10 years of EFL, if you don't mind me asking?

NP

VIP Member
Anybody good at tracking down clothes? I saw something a presenter was wearing recently. I googled, nothing, tried ASOS, nothing, any ideas?
Does the presenter have an Instagram? Or the show? They often tag who/what they’re wearing.

Baby chat - we’re getting the 4 month regression at the mo but it seems to be in the day? He is just super pissed off but tired. Why don’t they just nap?! 🤪

• Heart

Into_the_tunnel

VIP Member
Was just wondering if any of you were familiar with an American food show called "A Chef's Life"?

I started watching it during our super-size lockdown this spring, it wasn't on Food Network or anything, I just chanced upon it on TG4 here in Ireland.

It follows the life of a chef in North Carolina, Vivian Howard, as she runs her own restaurant, and later brings out a book.

I actually think it is one of the best food series ever made, it's mainly documentary but with little recipe type interludes also.
It is so well made and so so genuine. And it makes me look at Southern American food so differently: there is a whole world of dishes out there.
Anyone else like this show ?
I haven’t heard of it, but sounds 😘.

Currently in love with Molly Yeh and her programme Girl meets Farm. If I am in the mood later I might make a laminated list of my top 5 food programmes (Spoiler: Barefoot Contessa is and always will be numero uno.)

emm

VIP Member
Grammar mistakes annoy me no end, especially 'your' when it should be 'you're'. I saw a sign the other day that said 'an once in a lifetime opportunity' - a sign printed by the council no less! I also recently saw someone write 'low and behold'. 🤦‍♀️

I notice from the guys I speak to on dating apps how awful people's grammar is these days. Also, they'll often ask me a question with no question mark at the end, like 'how are you', which sounds more like a philosophical musing to me.

Nuttyfoodiefitness comes to mind!
this was exactly who inspired my post 😂 I notice she often uses the wrong wordsfor things. ugh same unless they're not native bad grammar is not getting a reply!

@heretoreaditall2019 hope today/tonight is better for you. Lack of sleep really amplifies things doesn’t it? Bloody sucks.

Walking the Dog with Emily Dean is an easy listen and I love Table Manners with Jessie Ware (biased as I adore her music). With both you can cherry pick episodes.

I would say ‘this to shall pass’ re sleep regression/leaps as it’s all I get told but not very helpful/practical when you’re in the midst of it. Maybe just dunk Bubba in a bath of lavender (which also emits white noise) in the hope it relaxes her into deep sleep?!
omg my love how are you doing with regressions? You must be a few months off it but 10 month one has been HARD. <Ben Affleck smoking.png> hard. We also had 4 teeth come through so I guess it’s hard to disentangle which hell we’re living in!

thank you @Flumps it’s re assuring to know other people get this too. Thankfully last night we had 9 hours of continuous baby sleep so I got 7 which is v good going!
[/SPOILER]

Thank you everyone for podcast recommendations, I’m going to add them all to my library this weekend as life admin. Does anyone listen to LBC or other talk radio? That used to be okay to get to sleep but now it’s just madenning, not sure if it was always so bad?!

Anybody good at tracking down clothes? I saw something a presenter was wearing recently. I googled, nothing, tried ASOS, nothing, any ideas?
have you got a pic of it? Try the Pinterest lens, ASOS and eBay also has a similar function!

• Heart
Baby chat - we’re getting the 4 month regression at the mo but it seems to be in the day? He is just super pissed off but tired. Why don’t they just nap?! 🤪
Omg a 4 month cutie 🥰 I know it’s easier said than done but could you go out for a walk when he’s due to nap and pray he falls asleep? You are then trapped outside for half an hour plus although if you can access ur garden from the back then you can leave him out there. A high risk but high reward plan!

Tomorrow morning planning to play the nap game and potentially hustle the time for an undisrupted cup of tea and some FANCY unrinsed beans on toast at a cafe, and start one of my new podcasts from you guys (thank you!!) 🥰

• Heart

maxrigger

He can’t sit with us.
Slightly on topic I used to be able to cook however due to various issues with my functioning I had not bothered for a long while. Back in the day I did three course roast dinner no problem, even with Chicken that I don’t eat.

I treated myself to the discount Hello Fresh box a few weeks ago and that really got me cooking again.
I don’t have the energy or £ to be ruining dinner (looking at you Fack Monroe)

The specific ingredients, delivered to the doorstep, with the recipe cards really helped. I enjoyed the recipes and have recreated them with normal supermarket stuff. What I do now is lay out the ingredients in little Tupperware pots I have, plastic bowls, chopping board. This way I don’t forget to add anything. I can set up the prepped stuff early on, do the chopping etc then have a rest. Later I cook it.

Max is of the opinion that Jack’s recipes are great and work well if you follow them. Although he’s never tried one. There is a theme developing.
Max is of the opinion that Jack's recipes will work if you stick to them, never said they were great and will work for people new to cooking, out camping or on a budget sort of thing...not great recipes.

Have you done a cost breakdown on the contents of a Hello Fresh box vs getting off your ass and buying in a supermarket and following a recipe?

• Haha

Mustard

VIP Member
Does anyone have the article (and could post it) that Diana Henry posted in the Telegraph about the two illnesses she has had in the last year?

Reactions: 2

Captainmouse

VIP Member
Could you find the show anywhere online? YouTube or catch-up services?
Does the presenter have an Instagram? Or the show? They often tag who/what they’re wearing.
thanks both, show is on iplayer but that never works for me, and I don’t have Instagram. If anybody has too much time on their hands……..

it was Ellie harrison, countryfile Sunday in June art in the countryside, stupid iplayer doesn’t give the dates might be 20th June 😇 it was a suede/faux suede waistcoat/gilet.

Reactions: 2