Food and Drink #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
kind of OT, but (without triangulating yourself) what did you move into after 10 years of EFL, if you don't mind me asking?
I was supplementing my income with copywriting for a long time (which then became my main source of income last year, because I don't do online teaching!). Then I got extremely lucky with some crypto investments, so much so that I can now play with pretend money on the internet full time.

I loved teaching, and there are some things I miss about it (to the point that I told my old boss I'd be willing to cover here and there), but the total lack of prospects for advancement got to me eventually. That and the fact that the industry is toxic in many ways. Seeing non-native friends with C2 English and degrees in education getting passed over for jobs in favour of backpackers with the right passport time and time again...

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I was supplementing my income with copywriting for a long time (which then became my main source of income last year, because I don't do online teaching!). Then I got extremely lucky with some crypto investments, so much so that I can now play with pretend money on the internet full time.

I loved teaching, and there are some things I miss about it (to the point that I told my old boss I'd be willing to cover here and there), but the total lack of prospects for advancement got to me eventually. That and the fact that the industry is toxic in many ways. Seeing non-native friends with C2 English and degrees in education getting passed over for jobs in favour of backpackers with the right passport time and time again...
thank you! I totally empathis with a lot of this!
ETA I cannot believe I spelt things wrong.... :LOL:

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Learning from native speakers who speak badly...ugh, I just had a flashback to a colleague "correcting" a student's writing with, "In English we spell Colombia with a U." 🙄

I went to school in different countries and I think I did more grammar than people of my age in England. I remember at the start of my A Levels (I was in England at the time) we were told to use different colours to underline nouns and adjectives in the first pages of a book. Err, okay...but of course this was a good fifteen years ago, so the situation may well have improved since then!
I just read exciting times & the main character in that TEFLs & she thinks a lot about grammatical things (it’s used to make a point re class/her Irishness) and ngl it was a struggle to understand those bits. Native English speaker & actually got a double A* at GCSE (diagnosis: gifted 💅🏻 x) but have no idea about anything like split infinitives etc, it just wasn’t taught to us in the mid 00s and I doubt that’s something they’d have subsequently introduced? There’s also an episode of Peppa Pig where the French animal comes over and asks daddy pig a technical question and he goes bright red #culture

More on topic can anyone re assure me that Hagen Dasz is in fact meant to taste dusty and I’m not about to get gastroenteritis for buying ice cream out a chip shop?

Then I got extremely lucky with some crypto investments
Omg that is amazing, well done! I need the time to figure out what to start the baby off with - do you think I’d be stupid to just buy 10 or 100 of the middle tier coins just in case? Or weight it all into the big few? Sorry to ask it’s just usually when people talk crypto they’re those awful Instagram wolves of Wall Street types 🤢

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
I'm another one who was never taught English grammar at school other than the very basic 'this is a noun, this is a verb, this is an adjective', but still managed As (no A* in my day!) in English Language GCSE, English Literature GCSE and English Literature A-level.

I seem to have spent half the day getting sheep out of fields they're not supposed to be in. Got a message from Mr F while I was in town getting my tyre fixed - 'Lamb in top field next door' (he had to deal with that one with a neighbour's help as the car was still being sorted). I went to feed them at 4pm, 3 ewes and 5 lambs had gone over the fence into next door's bottom field and had to be retrieved with a bucket. And I've just taken the dogs out for their last wee of the night and seen a bawling Badger charging up and down next door's top field on her own - fortunately, and quite endearingly, when I went and opened the gate for her (and thank goodness it's there, because the previous neighbours used to use our fields, otherwise we'd have to go up to the road and back down) she came running down towards me and shot through it. She's the youngest and it appears they've reached an age now where I am a familiar object in their lives and can sort of be trusted. I have had stern words with April about keeping them all in order overnight and tomorrow I'll try and figure out where they're getting through at the top - I know what's happening at the bottom, the fence is a bit wonky and there's a wall next to it they can climb onto and hop over it, but I think the top must be a gap that's small enough for a lamb to wriggle through, but the ewes can't fit through, so I should be able to block it easily once I find it.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Which flavour did you try? I’m curious 😂 I love a spoon or two of HD myself (pralines and cream is my fave)
Belgian chocolate it’s so bad, it doesn’t even melt normally it’s still sat in the sink looking weird!

Remember that counterfeit show presented by Dom of don’t get done get Dom fame? I bet it’s one of those

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
Belgian chocolate it’s so bad, it doesn’t even melt normally it’s still sat in the sink looking weird!

Remember that counterfeit show presented by Dom of don’t get done get Dom fame? I bet it’s one of those
Hahaaaa what a crime outfit must be running out of your local corner shop - counterfeit Hagen Dazs 😂😂
I remember Belgian Chocolate is very rich .. I don’t remember the dusty component. You’ve been had!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Hahaaaa what a crime outfit must be running out of your local corner shop - counterfeit Hagen Dazs 😂😂
I remember Belgian Chocolate is very rich .. I don’t remember the dusty component. You’ve been had!
Omg thank you for being an expert but 🤢🤢🤢 this was definitely not rich! It was from a chip shop cos I needed to bulk out for delivery so probably got what I deserved there. Also got a rogue samosa which was lovely, but now the trust is gone who knows

• Haha
  • Heart
Omg thank you for being an expert but 🤢🤢🤢 this was definitely not rich! It was from a chip shop cos I needed to bulk out for delivery so probably got what I deserved there. Also got a rogue samosa which was lovely, but now the trust is gone who knows
What’s the world coming to when a wildcard samosa wins over overpriced ice cream?
A world I want to live in, dammit!

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I second the pralines and cream, or maybe cookies and cream. It’s so rich you can’t manage a lot of it, hence I have always avoided the chocolate. I have at the height of Covid ordered three pots on delivery from the takeaway. Medicinal, you see. I was very hot.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I just read exciting times & the main character in that TEFLs & she thinks a lot about grammatical things (it’s used to make a point re class/her Irishness) and ngl it was a struggle to understand those bits. Native English speaker & actually got a double A* at GCSE (diagnosis: gifted 💅🏻 x) but have no idea about anything like split infinitives etc, it just wasn’t taught to us in the mid 00s and I doubt that’s something they’d have subsequently introduced? There’s also an episode of Peppa Pig where the French animal comes over and asks daddy pig a technical question and he goes bright red #culture

More on topic can anyone re assure me that Hagen Dasz is in fact meant to taste dusty and I’m not about to get gastroenteritis for buying ice cream out a chip shop?

Omg that is amazing, well done! I need the time to figure out what to start the baby off with - do you think I’d be stupid to just buy 10 or 100 of the middle tier coins just in case? Or weight it all into the big few? Sorry to ask it’s just usually when people talk crypto they’re those awful Instagram wolves of Wall Street types 🤢
Oh I know, I almost never talk about it with people because it has such a bad reputation (a lot of which is deserved. Scams everywhere).

To start, better to stick with a few coins so you can keep a closer eye on them. The market has been generally moving downward lately though, so it's an awkward time to get in...particularly if we do move into a full bear market, a lot of coins will be unlikely to survive it.

It's a really interesting world, as long as you stay rational. Euphoria is everywhere, fear is everywhere, and it's so important not to get caught up in either of them (this is why I went off for a holiday the other week - the market nosedived, and I felt overwhelmed by the reactions to it. It was definitely the right move!).

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Oh I know, I almost never talk about it with people because it has such a bad reputation (a lot of which is deserved. Scams everywhere).

To start, better to stick with a few coins so you can keep a closer eye on them. The market has been generally moving downward lately though, so it's an awkward time to get in...particularly if we do move into a full bear market, a lot of coins will be unlikely to survive it.

It's a really interesting world, as long as you stay rational. Euphoria is everywhere, fear is everywhere, and it's so important not to get caught up in either of them (this is why I went off for a holiday the other week - the market nosedived, and I felt overwhelmed by the reactions to it. It was definitely the right move!).
We already have our own wallets & subsequently constantly getting push notifications about X being up or down (literally just got one about BTC being up 5%), idk why I’m so much more nervous doing it for her. I think because it’s 20+ years rather than 3-5 for us that it feels harder to predict or there’s the opportunity to miss out on something amazing like you did!

My husband watches a lot of the YouTube content on it but I worry where they have such large followings/view counts they’re just hyping coins in the hope of influencing the market? Reddit can be quite good and there was a v good post on market caps to predict the max value of a coin, that’s what I need time to sit down with and figure out for these smaller/newer coins to see what we buy 10 versus 100 of. The choice and possibility is definitely paralysing which is why I’ve ummed and ahhed for weeks, when really timing is probably more important than any tiny incremental gains you’d get from trying to calculate a #strategy when they’ll be held over a 20 year period so I should just get a scoot on?!

Are yours in your own physical wallet? It’s interesting how that’ll pan out in the future, my husband is terrified of us getting burgled and the wallet being stolen and one day there will be the first big case where that happens. Or what happens when a couple divorce and they’ve got a sizeable sum in crypto, or one party has most of their savings in crypto, even with this China beef it’ll be interesting to see the ~drama~ it causes.

Reactions: 7
my pet hate is when people use idiomatic/fixed phrases slightly wrong but things that sound the same (for this I mean for native speakers of course, god knows english is a nightmare to learn) things like "I could care less", I listen to a true crime podcast, both hosts are native usa and make soooo many mistakes like this
Could you be more pacific?

Have you checked the date on it? Sounds like it's old 😬

• Haha
  • Wow
I can’t stand it when I see ‘I’m so bias’ - it’s biasED! Also ... incorrect possessive apostrophes 🥴

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Could you be more pacific?

Have you checked the date on it? Sounds like it's old 😬
I will do once my husband gets home, I think you’re right tho 🤢

I can’t stand it when I see ‘I’m so bias’ - it’s biasED! Also ... incorrect possessive apostrophes 🥴
I’ve recently encountered a group of people that use “his” instead of “he’s” and it’s genuinely so hard to keep track of what’s being said. You’ve got to read it put loud in ur head

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I will do once my husband gets home, I think you’re right tho 🤢

I’ve recently encountered a group of people that use “his” instead of “he’s” and it’s genuinely so hard to keep track of what’s being said. You’ve got to read it put loud in ur head
or when people write whole huge paragraphs without ANY punctuation, it is so hard to read

Reactions: 7
Grammar mistakes annoy me no end, especially 'your' when it should be 'you're'. I saw a sign the other day that said 'an once in a lifetime opportunity' - a sign printed by the council no less! I also recently saw someone write 'low and behold'. 🤦‍♀️

I notice from the guys I speak to on dating apps how awful people's grammar is these days. Also, they'll often ask me a question with no question mark at the end, like 'how are you', which sounds more like a philosophical musing to me.

or when people write whole huge paragraphs without ANY punctuation, it is so hard to read
Nuttyfoodiefitness comes to mind!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Grammar mistakes annoy me no end, especially 'your' when it should be 'you're'. I saw a sign the other day that said 'an once in a lifetime opportunity' - a sign printed by the council no less! I also recently saw someone write 'low and behold'. 🤦‍♀️

I notice from the guys I speak to on dating apps how awful people's grammar is these days. Also, they'll often ask me a question with no question mark at the end, like 'how are you', which sounds more like a philosophical musing to me.

Nuttyfoodiefitness comes to mind!
this was exactly who inspired my post 😂 I notice she often uses the wrong wordsfor things. ugh same unless they're not native bad grammar is not getting a reply!

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.