Food and Drink #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I over punctuate! Always chucking in a comma when its not needed šŸ˜…
My sister used to write essays in one long run-on sentence and then add punctuation afterwards. Also my mum once wrote me a shopping list that included a bottle of 'cock' and when I pointed it out, drew a picture next to it that honestly made it worse.

Spelling and English Language have always been my best subjects by a mile but I've no idea who I got it from.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
My least favourite mistake is whenever someone writes 'bare with me' because I have a very vivid imagination and can only picture a group of people all taking their clothes off at the same time šŸ˜Ø

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 16
My least favourite mistake is whenever someone writes 'bare with me' because I have a very vivid imagination and can only picture a group of people all taking their clothes off at the same time šŸ˜Ø
my pet hate is when people use idiomatic/fixed phrases slightly wrong but things that sound the same (for this I mean for native speakers of course, god knows english is a nightmare to learn) things like "I could care less", I listen to a true crime podcast, both hosts are native usa and make soooo many mistakes like this

my pet hate is when people use idiomatic/fixed phrases slightly wrong but things that sound the same (for this I mean for native speakers of course, god knows english is a nightmare to learn) things like "I could care less", I listen to a true crime podcast, both hosts are native usa and make soooo many mistakes like this
TBH English is a pretty easy language to learn. Grammatically it's incredibly simple - no gender, verb conjugation is really basic, no declinations, etc. Most learners find pronunciation to be the hardest part. Even then, though, English pronunciation varies a hell of a lot between regions, making it significantly more forgiving than, say, French.

It's interesting because the mistakes that non-natives make tend to have little in common with the mistakes that natives make; it would be incredibly rare for a non-native to produce "could of" in writing, for example.

I taught English as a foreign language for 10 years and subsequently I don't really care about most mistakes people make. The only ones that really irritate me are the ones that are an attempt to sound more intelligent/sophisticated - the misuse of "and I" when it should be "and me", "whom" used when it should be "who" and, worst of all, the terrible abuse of reflexive pronouns in phrases like "please get in touch with myself". That's just painful! šŸ˜–

• Haha
  • Heart
My last place of work had a sign over the recycling bin advising what could go in it. Paper's. Can's. Bottle's.

Written and printed out by the general manager, no less.

• Haha
  • Wow
TBH English is a pretty easy language to learn. Grammatically it's incredibly simple - no gender, verb conjugation is really basic, no declinations, etc. Most learners find pronunciation to be the hardest part. Even then, though, English pronunciation varies a hell of a lot between regions, making it significantly more forgiving than, say, French.

It's interesting because the mistakes that non-natives make tend to have little in common with the mistakes that natives make; it would be incredibly rare for a non-native to produce "could of" in writing, for example.

I taught English as a foreign language for 10 years and subsequently I don't really care about most mistakes people make. The only ones that really irritate me are the ones that are an attempt to sound more intelligent/sophisticated - the misuse of "and I" when it should be "and me", "whom" used when it should be "who" and, worst of all, the terrible abuse of reflexive pronouns in phrases like "please get in touch with myself". That's just painful! šŸ˜–
I teach english as a foreign language and , while I agree to an extent with the simple grammar etc, so much of English doesn;t have the strict rules of other languages imo, I mean think about verb forms and not to mention phrasal verbs! I also find (in my wor anyway) that people learn from native speakers who speak badly which is a whole other issue...
totally agree with whom/I and myself though :LOL: I wondered if it was different (for native speakers now) as students seem to study grammar rules (which I never did - I remember starting another language at a level and the majority of the class had no ideal what a verb or noun were as parts of speech...)

My last place of work had a sign over the recycling bin advising what could go in it. Paper's. Can's. Bottle's.

Written and printed out by the general manager, no less.
When I got my contract from my most recent job I literally went through and proofread it, made an insane amount of corrections (including very basic spelling, but also grammar) and refused to sign until it was amended

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I teach english as a foreign language and , while I agree to an extent with the simple grammar etc, so much of English doesn;t have the strict rules of other languages imo, I mean think about verb forms and not to mention phrasal verbs! I also find (in my wor anyway) that people learn from native speakers who speak badly which is a whole other issue...
totally agree with whom/I and myself though :LOL: I wondered if it was different (for native speakers now) as students seem to study grammar rules (which I never did - I remember starting another language at a level and the majority of the class had no ideal what a verb or noun were as parts of speech...)
Learning from native speakers who speak badly...ugh, I just had a flashback to a colleague "correcting" a student's writing with, "In English we spell Colombia with a U." šŸ™„

I went to school in different countries and I think I did more grammar than people of my age in England. I remember at the start of my A Levels (I was in England at the time) we were told to use different colours to underline nouns and adjectives in the first pages of a book. Err, okay...but of course this was a good fifteen years ago, so the situation may well have improved since then!

Reactions: 9
Isnā€™t this called an eggcorn?
reality tv programmes are a good place to find them as well, anything featuring the public (yes that sounds snobby)
ā€œwell, a bird in the hand saves nineā€ no it fkn doesnā€™t Tony!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Learning from native speakers who speak badly...ugh, I just had a flashback to a colleague "correcting" a student's writing with, "In English we spell Colombia with a U." šŸ™„

I went to school in different countries and I think I did more grammar than people of my age in England. I remember at the start of my A Levels (I was in England at the time) we were told to use different colours to underline nouns and adjectives in the first pages of a book. Err, okay...but of course this was a good fifteen years ago, so the situation may well have improved since then!
I did most of my schooling in england, and we were told that every word ending in "ing" was a verb....I mean.... I also do get that some countries focus too much on grammar when learning a foreign language (in my opinion anyway) but just to be taught things that are totally wrong is just... I think we are probably of a similar age and I think I remember doing the same about underlining tbh, it only changed when I studied the foreign language I was studying at Alevel with a native speaker who was shocked we didn't know basic grammar :LOL:

Isnā€™t this called an eggcorn?
reality tv programmes are a good place to find them as well, anything featuring the public (yes that sounds snobby)
ā€œwell, a bird in the hand saves nineā€ no it fkn doesnā€™t Tony!!!
had never heard this but I love it! (totally agree, reality shows are the absolute worst for this)

Reactions: 7
Itā€™s not an eggcorn! I donā€™t think thereā€™s an exact name for getting idioms or phrases muddled.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I was going to say malapropism, but that's just single words, isn't it?
yeah I don't know if there is an expression for whole phrases/certain words in phrases with mistakes ?

Reactions: 3
I was going to say malapropism, but that's just single words, isn't it?
I think so. I used to work with a woman I thought of as Mrs Malaprop, haha. Except when her son had ammonia instead of pneumonia, I couldn't laugh at that.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
I'm feeling ok, @Captainmouse. Still a bit bruised and sore but improving every day. Laughing at all the That's Amore posts is helping, I'm sure! And Dr Pooh's looking after me very well.
7FBB8348-0B10-486C-B764-BE4D13992C03.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I'm feeling ok, @Captainmouse. Still a bit bruised and sore but improving every day. Laughing at all the That's Amore posts is helping, I'm sure! And Dr Pooh's looking after me very well.View attachment 603166
glad you are doing well :love:, and that your fur baby is being supportive, I cannot imagine mine being anything other than indifferent unless i had dreamies in my pocket :LOL:

• Haha
glad you are doing well :love:, and that your fur baby is being supportive, I cannot imagine mine being anything other than indifferent unless i had dreamies in my pocket :LOL:
I always have one on me! MCs are more like dogs, they love to hang out with their humans.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I always have one on me! MCs are more like dogs, they love to hang out with their humans.
my half MC doesn;t seem to have got the memo! :LOL: albeit my kitten is filling the void (probably only as he is tiny and will become awful later :LOL:)

• Haha
Reactions: 6
my half MC doesn;t seem to have got the memo! :LOL: albeit my kitten is filling the void (probably only as he is tiny and will become awful later :LOL:)
Our middle boy only cuddles my husband, he'll sit on me only when he's cold. They're funny things, cats!

• Heart
Reactions: 4

kind of OT, but (without triangulating yourself) what did you move into after 10 years of EFL, if you don't mind me asking?

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.