Food and Drink #17

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When I can't sleep due to bad head stuff, TV background noise helps for me. Helps distract my mind a little from going over upsetting thoughts, and stops the racing a bit. Has to be specific types of shows though, nothing triggering in any way, nothing funny (as I don't feel like entertaining anything amusing while feeling low, it'll just piss me off!) So it usually ends up being cooking shows or anything neutral viewing. Daytime TV is good for it, as a bit of background when feeling crappy during the day, Bargain Hunt etc 😂. Helps to quieten my head a little, even if I'm not really taking any of it in.
Cookery programmes are the best medicine for most things.

Ina will take you away to world where you forget what your name is (Pioneer Woman, Giadia, Trisha or Farmhouse Rules all will work too but not to the same extent).

In a similar vein the Food Chain and Food Programme podcasts are good for walking/running/sleeping/sitting.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Ina will take you away to world where you forget what your name is (Pioneer Woman, Giadia, Trisha or Farmhouse Rules all will work too but not to the same extent).

In a similar vein the Food Chain and Food Programme podcasts are good for walking/running/sleeping/sitting.
Farmhouse Rules is fantastic! I only discovered it last week. Everything she makes looks amazing, and she's so warm.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

I enjoy Pioneer Woman. Although I must have massively fucked up her cornbread recipe because it came out like a salty sponge.

The Hairy Bikers are pure comfort watching for me. Love their friendship. Also Anthony Bourdain’s Parts Unknown. I enjoy a good binge watch on Netflix every now and then.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Pioneer Woman is 😬. I have used a couple of her recipes though.

Reactions: 8
I struggle to fall asleep often, I listen to meditations on youtube. Theres a particular one that always makes me fall asleep. Guided meditation is fab
Can I ask which one? 🙏 I sleep well once I fall asleep butvthe road to that is a bit rocky. I am officially unable to sleep without white noise/ASMR/meditation or some form audiobook/story.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
@FeelingPrawny I'm sorry you feel so awful, if it's any consolation I asked the oracle about you and while he was quite rude, he was - as usual - eerily correct.

View attachment 470707
I've had a shower to try and feel slightly more human. Some rather random country music playlist on, (the idea of being surrounded by either farm land, animals, nature, a ranch, or moose wandering past would be my ideal atm)

@traumatised sideboard I've added a screenshot of the oracle and his answer as my lockscreen on my phone. Just to remind me in my darkest times I have a whole support team behind me.

@Falkor I look forward to seeing newborn lambs. Knowing it's the sign of spring and new beginnings, maybe thats a sign I needed.

@Nottonightbabe I know exactly what you mean with some things being triggering. Sometimes you just need mindless nonsense that you don't have to follow indepth. I sometimes struggle when there is lots of talking as it just feels like too much to follow.

Sending all the flock cabal love, you're helping more than you realise. I hope one day i can give back to you all if you're ever in a difficult spot x

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Can I ask which one? 🙏 I sleep well once I fall asleep butvthe road to that is a bit rocky. I am officially unable to sleep without white noise/ASMR/meditation or some form audiobook/story.
Its one called the cleansing wind, by the honest guys (lol cringe name), it works every time!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
@FeelingPrawny - so sorry, that’s both a shocking way to be broken up with and a horrible, horrible reason. As others have said, the only person that reflects on is him, not you. Someone else also said it, but it is so disorientating when the person you’d go to naturally for comfort is now the one hurting you, that’s such a painful adjustment and you have every right to take your time adjusting to that.

I don’t know if it will help, but in regard to your step-children - I don’t know how old they are but sounds like at least one is old enough to keep a channel of communication open with you. I would just keep chatting and being available when/if you feel you can. I split with my ex-husband 8 years ago and I am still close with his children. I still call them my step-kids and I love them very much. They no longer have much of a relationship with their dad, but ours has endured. x

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I've had a shower to try and feel slightly more human. Some rather random country music playlist on, (the idea of being surrounded by either farm land, animals, nature, a ranch, or moose wandering past would be my ideal atm)

@traumatised sideboard I've added a screenshot of the oracle and his answer as my lockscreen on my phone. Just to remind me in my darkest times I have a whole support team behind me.

@Falkor I look forward to seeing newborn lambs. Knowing it's the sign of spring and new beginnings, maybe thats a sign I needed.

@Nottonightbabe I know exactly what you mean with some things being triggering. Sometimes you just need mindless nonsense that you don't have to follow indepth. I sometimes struggle when there is lots of talking as it just feels like too much to follow.

Sending all the flock cabal love, you're helping more than you realise. I hope one day i can give back to you all if you're ever in a difficult spot x
If you'd like to feel close to nature, this has really helped me

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I like the calm stories with the Jerome Flynn one. You can find it on YouTube. I had the free trial

Reactions: 7
I like the calm stories with the Jerome Flynn one. You can find it on YouTube. I had the free trial
Agree! His voice is so soothing. I actually tried to stay awake once to see if I could finish the night in Shakespeare's London story because I wanted to know what happened but no such luck, I was asleep long before the end! I also recommend the travel based stories on Calm - there's one about the Taj Mahal that's another go to during my insomnia phases.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
@FeelingPrawny - so sorry, that’s both a shocking way to be broken up with and a horrible, horrible reason. As others have said, the only person that reflects on is him, not you. Someone else also said it, but it is so disorientating when the person you’d go to naturally for comfort is now the one hurting you, that’s such a painful adjustment and you have every right to take your time adjusting to that.

I don’t know if it will help, but in regard to your step-children - I don’t know how old they are but sounds like at least one is old enough to keep a channel of communication open with you. I would just keep chatting and being available when/if you feel you can. I split with my ex-husband 8 years ago and I am still close with his children. I still call them my step-kids and I love them very much. They no longer have much of a relationship with their dad, but ours has endured. x
Thank you @Flumps. I've sent this message to both of them so at least they know I've not abandoned them. Whether that communication gets to stay open I don't know, with how the ex may take it when they aren't my kids. Despite the fact I love and care as if they were.

Hope school goes well tomorrow for you. Will be thinking of you. Good luck, I know it may be strange being back there but you'll do fine!! Always proud of you and love you, that promise will never end or change. Here if you need anything X

I still haven't heard from the ex, I'll still keep expecting a witty message off him or something daft. Feels like being in a state of shock with his wording going round my head. Feels more difficult when it gets to this time at night. Just the loneliness it brings.

Thank you @onlysunshine I will have a listen to it and hopefully it helps. I just want my head to stop going a million miles an hour and just calm. Also wish I could be a maverick and bottle up these tears to water some plants... at least something good would come from this heartache.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Thank you @Flumps. I've sent this message to both of them so at least they know I've not abandoned them. Whether that communication gets to stay open I don't know, with how the ex may take it when they aren't my kids. Despite the fact I love and care as if they were.

Hope school goes well tomorrow for you. Will be thinking of you. Good luck, I know it may be strange being back there but you'll do fine!! Always proud of you and love you, that promise will never end or change. Here if you need anything X

I still haven't heard from the ex, I'll still keep expecting a witty message off him or something daft. Feels like being in a state of shock with his wording going round my head. Feels more difficult when it gets to this time at night. Just the loneliness it brings.

Thank you @onlysunshine I will have a listen to it and hopefully it helps. I just want my head to stop going a million miles an hour and just calm. Also wish I could be a maverick and bottle up these tears to water some plants... at least something good would come from this heartache.
Sounds like a #JacksHack to me!

You're processing a lot right now. I know that doesn't make it any easier to switch off though, which is what you need right now. I also found the grounding technique of going through your senses sometimes useful, focusing on 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell and 1 thing you can taste. I know others have found googling their favourite colour and the word nature (for example, other words can be used with the colour) and looking through image results x

• Heart
Reactions: 13

Prawny, what an absolute stealth piece of tit he is. I know it doesn't feel like it now but you've had a lucky escape because he'd only make you feel worse about yourself as time went on. Look after yourself, pamper yourself and try to do things to make you happy. I can lose hours in a picture colouring app on my mobile, a great calming distraction.

He just didn't deserve such a lovely, strong, achieving woman as you.

Is there anyone who can go to collect your things for you? If you were in east central Scotland, I'd happily go for you.

Sending you love and healing.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Just checking in on @FeelingPrawny - its been so lovely to see the support that you have had on here. Just getting through each day will be a triumph at the moment for you.

The collective feelings of people in the pandemic do all come at once at times - anyone else feel like today has been a tidal wave? Of what emotion I really don't know but its just too much?

We are eating early tonight (roast chicken on a Monday FANCY) and I cant wait for this day to be over.
@Falkor any update?

• Heart
Reactions: 15
@Universal Yes, the sheep are back in! Poor Mr F has been knocked sideways by his Covid vaccine and still has side effects 5 days later, so I womanned up for International Women's Day and got the tractor out myself (it was made in the early 1960s, it can be a bit temperamental to get started). It took me the best part of two hours, but I got a bale out of the row of them in the horses' field, took it down the village to my big field (going very carefully through the mud bath at the top of the field where Scottish Water dug it up last year - sliding sideways sitting on top of an old tractor with a quarter of a ton of hay on the back of it is not fun...), unwrapped it and hurled myself against it until it grudgingly tipped up onto its end, put the tractor away again (this is involves getting it into an old stone shed with a doorway that's only about three inches wider than the back wheels on the tractor whilst lying flat over the steering wheel to avoid being decapitated), took the horses' bale feeder ring apart, lifted the two halves onto the back of the quad bike, tied them on, took them down to the big field, reassembled it around the bale, and then zoomed off up the hill track to pick up their mineral block where I was greeted by 15 very indignant faces, going, 'Oi, you are WELL LATE with breakfast this morning!' They followed the quad all the way down the village and went into their new home for the next 5 weeks quite happily - had their ewe rolls and then spotted the bale and wandered over for a good munch on the haylage. They're now next door to where Loppy, Nibbles and 406 are staying with my friend, but they didn't seem too interested in saying hello to each other! The terrible trio do seem to have slimmed down a bit though, which is great :)

Sorry, no photos today, or at least not of the sheep - only took them of the tractor and quad! They'll stay here now until 15th April, the first due date is 20th April, but they can be plus or minus 5 days, so we may not get anything until the 25th. Next job is giving them their annual vaccination, which protects them against a lot of the clostridial diseases in one dose, and I'm joining up with the neighbours who have the other three, as they have 29 to do and I have 18, so we can buy one bottle of 50 doses between us rather than them getting a 50-dose and me getting a 25-dose. It has to be kept chilled and used within an hour of opening, so we need to find a date that suits us both (has to be given 4-6 weeks before lambing for the ewe to pass her immunity onto the lambs for the first few weeks of their lives). It'll probably be this coming weekend or the one after.

@FeelingPrawny I hope you're feeling a little bit better today. A friend of mine has maintained a very successful relationship with her ex-stepdaughters, they're now both in their 30s and are still in regular contact with her to the extent that she went to both their weddings. It can be done.

• Heart
Reactions: 23

Keep going Prawny. Try to do one day at a time. AA mantra, but it works 💐

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.