Food and Drink #17

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Happy International Women’s Day!

Sending love to @FeelingPrawny as well.

Sounds like a lot of people are having one of those days. I know there’s all kinds of reasons. No wonder anyone’s overwhelmed though, I keep thinking about this time last year, and it was like the last few “normal“ days (in the uk at least) before Covid changed everything. It feels like a lot longer ago.
Even further off topic, kudos to the mods for being on the ball and removing some “subtly“ racist posts over on the MT earlier today x

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Screenshot_20210308-220609.png

Ooh!! For those who can't access macaroni pies, it's now possible to make them at home! But not mash n bean pies cos that's just wrong

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
The hay is going down very well - all ladies considerably broader in the beam this morning after a good munch over the last 24 hours.

20210309_102344.jpg

April is still my best girl ❤

20210309_102352_capture.jpg

And I got to have a cuddle with these two through the fence and slip them a few ewe rolls I had in my pocket - I felt like one of those old news stories about mothers feeding their kids burgers through the school gates after the canteen went healthy eating!

20210309_101628_capture.jpg

Nibbles and Loppy have slimmed down and even 406 has lost a bit of weight, they're doing well :)

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Broader in the beam, haha! Those sheep are just so content looking, those bums are the best.

When I'm a bit down I google animals to cheer me up. I came across the monkey doppelgänger of my youngest and weirdest cat. I don't know the monkey personally but I'm sure he won't mind.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
The hay is going down very well - all ladies considerably broader in the beam this morning after a good munch over the last 24 hours.

View attachment 474353

View attachment 474354

And I got to have a cuddle with these two through the fence and slip them a few ewe rolls I had in my pocket - I felt like one of those old news stories about mothers feeding their kids burgers through the school gates after the canteen went healthy eating!

View attachment 474355

Nibbles and Loppy have slimmed down and even 406 has lost a bit of weight, they're doing well :)
Your views are just fabulous. Like a breath of fresh air.

Hope everyone is doing well today and Prawny is OK.

Even the dog is sad today and she is normally up for any kind of fun.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
After a year of disruption I have a new patio, and a new shed will be in place by the end of the day. I won’t have shed contents in my house any more. So why do I feel so down?

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Hello, I’m popping up here on the scrounge for some crowd answers to a very silly worry I have if I may- do kids get made fun of if they have Aldi crisps or snacks in their lunchbox nowadays?

I know I sound absolutely ridiculous but it seems to be a weird hang up from growing up poor and getting teased for having own brand stuff etc. But loads of people shop at Aldi nowadays don’t they? And everyone buys clothes at the supermarket too which was a teasing hot spot when I was a kid as well!

basically I want to shop at Aldi but I’m worried my kids packed lunch will be mocked (and I know I’m an idiot. and I know I should be teaching him to rise above any of that crap if it does occur but it seems easier to just buy a bag of walkers).

• Heart
Hello, I’m popping up here on the scrounge for some crowd answers to a very silly worry I have if I may- do kids get made fun of if they have Aldi crisps or snacks in their lunchbox nowadays?

I know I sound absolutely ridiculous but it seems to be a weird hang up from growing up poor and getting teased for having own brand stuff etc. But loads of people shop at Aldi nowadays don’t they? And everyone buys clothes at the supermarket too which was a teasing hot spot when I was a kid as well!

basically I want to shop at Aldi but I’m worried my kids packed lunch will be mocked (and I know I’m an idiot. and I know I should be teaching him to rise above any of that crap if it does occur but it seems easier to just buy a bag of walkers).
sorry no advice as I don't have children, but I assumed everyone shopped in aldi etc now! I would be shocked to see if it was still the case this kind of snobbery existed!

• Heart
@Fenella my 10 year old has never said anything about who has what for lunch or if anyone has ever commented on his. From what I gather they pretty much shovel it down as fast as possible so they can go out to play. So I really think you need not worry about having branded products.

• Heart
  • Haha

Gosh no not in our school. I live in a mixed area. In fact its more likely the well off kids get stuff from Aldi. Its great quality and IMO hardly that much cheaper than the other supermarkets, Most of my posh mates shop there for the wine!

My eldest asked for brand named trainers for PE when he was in Y3 due to peer pressure and I got him some cheap Adidas ones from Sports Direct. I did have the talk with him about how unimportant it is but gave in nonetheless. He will wear clothes from the supermarket now in Y5, in fact he has never questioned it. He might turn into one of those teenagers though who will only wear obvious designer gear :)

• Heart
Reactions: 13
A lot of influencer Mums do food shop hauls on youtube, showing items from Aldi and Lidl these days too, showing what they put in lunch boxes by way of snacks etc. I think it will be fine.

• Heart
A lot of influencer Mums do food shop hauls on youtube, showing items from Aldi and Lidl these days too, showing what they put in lunch boxes by way of snacks etc. I think it will be fine.
yeah I assume for teenagers with clothes it is different, but food in aldi/lidl is great, some things you can get better elsewhere, but generally they have such a good range. I also love the "themed" food they have weekly/monthly... I always just seem to go mad buying random different foods there. Probably would be cheaper to shop elsewhere as I impulse buy so much!

• Heart

View attachment 474353

View attachment 474354

View attachment 474355

Just grunka’d through a few of these threads and your sheep pictures have made my day Falkor!

• Heart
Thank you all, I don’t know why I was getting in such a knot about it but you’ve reassured me!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Thank you all, I don’t know why I was getting in such a knot about it but you’ve reassured me!
Coming from the other side, I have never seen any nastiness about what was or wasn’t in packed lunches. When I was on duty kids just ate and then got on with the small amount of free time they had.

This was secondary, but Y7 were still not interested.

T -4 hours until Unforgotten 😄

• Heart
Reactions: 14
@Fenella my 10 year old has never said anything about who has what for lunch or if anyone has ever commented on his. From what I gather they pretty much shovel it down as fast as possible so they can go out to play. So I really think you need not worry about having branded products.
Yep I would say the same about my 10 year old - although her friends did tell her to stop eating aldi mini cheddars as they had palm oil in them. Kids these days are amazing!

• Heart
Coming from the other side, I have never seen any nastiness about what was or wasn’t in packed lunches. When I was on duty kids just ate and then got on with the small amount of free time they had.

This was secondary, but Y7 were still not interested.

T -4 hours until Unforgotten 😄
The only time I’ve ever seen it was, ironically enough for those of us from the Jack threads, salmon paste sandwiches. And only then because they absolutely stunk so it drew attention. Brands wise they never seem to care, pre-COVID I saw a lot of “I’ll trade you my mini cheddars and this babybel for your salt and vinegar crisps” type trades but not teasing.

My teenage son regularly takes Lidl or Morrisons own bits in to school, and it's never been an issue. He complains to me however as he's a bit of a brand snob, so I get a lot of eye rolling when I've bought "cheese curls" instead of Quavers, and "choco snaps" instead of Coco Pops 😂. But that's just him thinking all brand names are superior, and nowt to do with school. We frequently have the "well you can buy Coco Pops out of your Christmas money then..." convo in our house 😂.

• Haha
I have a foodie question! @TheDragonWithAFlagon has been very helpful re knives and brands but I was wondering what to get in the way of types of knife. I'm vegetarian so I don't need a boning knife etc so I presume that a selection of different cook's knives and paring knives would be required?

What do those of us who don't eat meat or fish find useful in the way of kitchen knives?

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.