Food and Drink #17

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The hay is going down very well - all ladies considerably broader in the beam this morning after a good munch over the last 24 hours.

View attachment 474353

April is still my best girl ❤

View attachment 474354

And I got to have a cuddle with these two through the fence and slip them a few ewe rolls I had in my pocket - I felt like one of those old news stories about mothers feeding their kids burgers through the school gates after the canteen went healthy eating!

View attachment 474355

Nibbles and Loppy have slimmed down and even 406 has lost a bit of weight, they're doing well :)
The happy hay face! Beach looks nice too. Can’t believe you sent the ewerythmics to fat camp but then gave them treats through the fence

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I have a foodie question! @TheDragonWithAFlagon has been very helpful re knives and brands but I was wondering what to get in the way of types of knife. I'm vegetarian so I don't need a boning knife etc so I presume that a selection of different cook's knives and paring knives would be required?

What do those of us who don't eat meat or fish find useful in the way of kitchen knives?
Tomato knife. Life changing.

Reactions: 9
Hello from the other side, Frauen und Herren! I need a bit of advice on where to find a foolproof recipe for vegan lasagne - I don’t even know where to start 😔 could you bunch of ninnies help me please? (Please don’t suggest Vegan-ish)

Reactions: 5
I like the Kitchen Devil’s knives. They have different sizes and are affordable.

Reactions: 7
I have a Japanese-made 17cm santoku knife that I use for everything except hard vegetables like sweet potato or squash as they will ruin the edge. If I want to chop something hard I have a relatively cheap Sabatier 20cm knife that I don't care about as much. Those have been the only two knives I've been using for about 8-9 years now, they're the perfect size to do everything.

Reactions: 7
I have a Japanese-made 17cm santoku knife that I use for everything except hard vegetables like sweet potato or squash as they will ruin the edge. If I want to chop something hard I have a relatively cheap Sabatier 20cm knife that I don't care about as much. Those have been the only two knives I've been using for about 8-9 years now, they're the perfect size to do everything.
What! You don't use your bread knife for everything?!

Seriously, thanks. I was thinking of just getting a cook's knife of each length and a couple of paring knives. Maybe some duplicates of the most used ones. I use the bread knife that was given to my parents as a wedding present in 1946 - family heirloom.

For bread only, obviously, not being a smol maverick pixie.

Reactions: 9
This is one of the ladies having twins.
20210311_094527.jpg

And even Little Nine is not very little any more - she's having a single.

20210311_094704.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 31
This is one of the ladies having twins.
View attachment 477287

And even Little Nine is not very little any more - she's having a single.

View attachment 477288
Ohhh lambing season always makes me think of my mum. Her friend had sheep and I can vividly remember Mum being asked to help lamb. I was very young at the time and went along with her, standing on the gate watching in awe. That, coupled with your beautiful view is just *chefs kiss* right now. Thank you for sharing!

Just checking in on you also @FeelingPrawny - no pressure to respond, I just wanted you to know you're thought of and have love sent your way xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Hello,
Quickly popped over from the JM thread with a food question.
I recently made a Chocolate Cake using a recipe from BBC Good food one of Jackie's favourite sites but I'm not claiming the recipe as my invention and it used sunflower oil instead of butter and I was really impressed how easy to make and how light the sponge was.

I'm looking for a Coffee cake recipe using oil too. I'm a crap cook like Jackie so it has to be easy/idiot proof.

Thanks

Reactions: 8
Hello from the other side, Frauen und Herren! I need a bit of advice on where to find a foolproof recipe for vegan lasagne - I don’t even know where to start 😔 could you bunch of ninnies help me please? (Please don’t suggest Vegan-ish)
I make a white sauce by blending soaked cashew nuts, soya milk, nutritional yeast, garlic, mustard and salt and pepper. I mix in wilted spinach and then layer that with a basic tomato sauce and lasagne sheets. No amounts but is easy to do by eye/by taste testing.

Reactions: 10
Is this the right place to mention that one of my cats just sat on the remote which changed the channel to Ready, Steady Cook? I thought "oh no", until I set eyes on this sexy, sexy man chef. He's called akis petretzikis. I know I've missed out the capital letters, but it cut and paste that way and I'm not even going to try and spell it myself. Just to clarify, he is a very talented chef, who I am not objectifying in an way. 🥰
Akis posted this on YouTube today, well yesterday now

Vegan gyros, looks fab! Not vegan but always wanting to up my veg consumption, definitely trying this!

• Wow
Reactions: 14
Hello,
Quickly popped over from the JM thread with a food question.
I recently made a Chocolate Cake using a recipe from BBC Good food one of Jackie's favourite sites but I'm not claiming the recipe as my invention and it used sunflower oil instead of butter and I was really impressed how easy to make and how light the sponge was.

I'm looking for a Coffee cake recipe using oil too. I'm a crap cook like Jackie so it has to be easy/idiot proof.

Thanks
Did that also have golden syrup in it? I made that chocolate cake this week!

Reactions: 3
20210308_192312.jpg
Yes it did! I was quite impressed. I don’t seem to be able to find the equivalent in a coffee cake.
Yeah the effort to results ratio was really impressive! I don't make coffee cake very often at all but if I find anything I'll post it here!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
View attachment 478908
Yeah the effort to results ratio was really impressive! I don't make coffee cake very often at all but if I find anything I'll post it here!
I think it is the easiest cake I have ever made. Plonk everything in a bowl, stir! As I said I'm not the best cook but like you say "the effort to results ratio was really impressive!"

Easy chocolate fudge cake recipe | BBC Good Food if anyone's interested. Or are there any knowledgeable bakers who could adapt this to coffee? Or shall I tweet Jack the literal food expert bung it in a curry?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.