Fleur De Force #6 To Buy or not Dubai

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How funny I’d never have though of private school as a way of avoiding various ethnicities, more a way of avoiding benefit/working class white people

Amol Rajan from the One Show did a documentary “How to break into the elite” which explained far better than I could to my 12ish daughter at the time that telling working class intelligent kids like her to work hard get you a grades and your first class degree ( and tit ton of debt) and the world is your oyster is very untrue sadly

But if you’re working class savvy with a bit of money to put your kids in private to mix with the very middle class families I’m sure in parts of the country that’s a no brainer

Reactions: 4
How funny I’d never have though of private school as a way of avoiding various ethnicities, more a way of avoiding benefit/working class white people

Amol Rajan from the One Show did a documentary “How to break into the elite” which explained far better than I could to my 12ish daughter at the time that telling working class intelligent kids like her to work hard get you a grades and your first class degree ( and tit ton of debt) and the world is your oyster is very untrue sadly

But if you’re working class savvy with a bit of money to put your kids in private to mix with the very middle class families I’m sure in parts of the country that’s a no brainer
If your daughter gets a first class degree from a good uni I’d expect she’d be well placed for success.

Reactions: 1
It’s a difficult one, if you are working class but manage to send your children to private school, whether through scholarship or being able to afford it, are you really doing more good or more harm? They will never fit in, and spend their school lives feeling inferior and the damage that could do to their self esteem... is that worth the better grades they may achieve? I’m not sure.

That being said if you are working class but can cobble together 10k a year to send your child to private school, I wouldn’t really consider you working class. No working class people have that kind of spare cash.

Reactions: 9
I think if you have an intelligent child anyway and you're doing it for grades, it can be a waste of money. I went to a state school and 6th form and got into a very good uni, which is about 62% non-private students despite its reputation as "posh".

I do wonder if Fleur got funnelled into LSE because that's what you do after your parents have spent £££. We all know she hated it.

Reactions: 1
I apologize in advance if I'll put my foot in my mouth massively but I have a question regarding the ethnicities/social class topic. Please ignore if you think it's too off topic. I always thought racism is more of an effect that comes from said class division. Like it's less about the colour of your skin and more about the inside of your purse, do you know what I mean? That what we perceive as racism is more about classism. Of course here one can argue that dark skinned people for example earn automatically less money than white people hence it's a self driving circle. What if everyone had the same amount of money, would there still be racism? Probably. I could be totally off and English is not my mother language, please don't tear me to shreds I don't mean any harm. 🙈

PS: These boots look completely ridiculous,Fleur, get it together.

Reactions: 3

if you have a look at this article, it shows that the proportion of non-white pupils in private schools is 25%, or it was back in 2012 when the article was written. According to the 2011 census, there was around 12% non white people living in the U.K.

So the proportion of ethnic minorities in private schools is actually higher than the general population. Or it was a few years ago, can’t imagine the data has changed drastically in a few years 🤷‍♀️
The reason I asked that in the 2020 Independent Schools Council Census reported that “the proportion of minority ethnic pupils continues to increase, showing that ISC schools reflect the overall diversity of the UK student population. In 2020, 34.9% were identified as minority ethnic, whereas in 2021, the proportion had risen to 35.1%.”

The U.K. Government reports that for state schools “the percentage of pupils from minority ethnic backgrounds is 33.6% across all school types, up from 33.2% in 2019/2020”.

Granted, the ISC represents the interests of private schools but I don’t think they can present false figures. The number of a minority ethnic pupils in state schools and private schools therefore seems quite similar. Obviously, while the government figures breakdown what ethnicities are included in their figure the ISC doesn’t go that far into the figures.

I would argue that while minority ethnic students quite probably do have a different experience of private schools (and state schools too), they don’t seem under represented compared to state schools.

Racism - and class elitism - is definitely an issue in education. Particularly when children from certain class backgrounds or ethnicities want to go on to university.

Reactions: 2
I apologize in advance if I'll put my foot in my mouth massively but I have a question regarding the ethnicities/social class topic. Please ignore if you think it's too off topic. I always thought racism is more of an effect that comes from said class division. Like it's less about the colour of your skin and more about the inside of your purse, do you know what I mean? That what we perceive as racism is more about classism. Of course here one can argue that dark skinned people for example earn automatically less money than white people hence it's a self driving circle. What if everyone had the same amount of money, would there still be racism? Probably. I could be totally off and English is not my mother language, please don't tear me to shreds I don't mean any harm. 🙈

PS: These boots look completely ridiculous,Fleur, get it together.
100% if everyone had the same amount of money there would still be racism. 100%.

If your daughter gets a first class degree from a good uni I’d expect she’d be well placed for success.
That would be lovely though I feel like she’s going to benefit equally from us 1st generation working class uni parents who haven’t done so well as our parents were utterly clueless bless them and didn’t have any spare cash to help to establish careers even in the smallest of ways

But over the course of a very long time my daughter will have the financial and emotional support from us that we didn’t have as we do have a decent income and are so much more aware, so it’ll be interesting to see what a difference that’ll make

I can’t decide who is worse at styling themselves. Fleur or her sister. It’s a close call.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I think our country as a whole has a huge problem with class divide. I don’t think America has the same class structure as us, there it’s just rich/middle/poor, and you can move up and down the levels if you increase your income. Our class system has many more intricacies, it’s not as simple as earn more and you find yourself middle class. I find it very interesting.

I don’t blame Fleur and Mike for sending their children to private schools. River wouldn’t fit in at their local comprehensive in the same way that my children would stick out like sore thumbs at a private school. I don’t hold individual people responsible for the class structure, it’s not their fault they were born into the families they were, however I find it troublesome when they don’t check their privilege. Fleur has absolutely no idea how most people live day to day.

Reactions: 23
I think our country as a whole has a huge problem with class divide. I don’t think America has the same class structure as us, there it’s just rich/middle/poor, and you can move up and down the levels if you increase your income. Our class system has many more intricacies, it’s not as simple as earn more and you find yourself middle class. I find it very interesting.
Yes, exactly this. You cannot talk about the US/UK and race/class as though they're the same – the US and UK are structured in totally different ways when it comes to race and class. And both topics are way more complex than the colour of someone's skin or how much money they have.

Given her parents, it will be a miracle if River (and any future children they have) grows up to be anything other than rich, entitled, moderately attractive and thoroughly mediocre in every way. And those boots are ridiculous...just Fleur playing at being edgy again. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 14
I can’t decide who is worse at styling themselves. Fleur or her sister. It’s a close call.
Agreed. I actually like the pink dress she posted yesterday but I don't know why she thinks she looks edgy or even at all good wearing it with those combat boots. Hideous. Even someone edgy wouldn't be able to pull it off, the dress is just too feminine and dainty looking.

Reactions: 7
0C1B18B0-FBCF-4399-B16A-4C15F5847E8D.jpeg
I’ve found Fleur’s inspiration for this outfit - knew I’d seen it somewhere before!

• Haha
Reactions: 23
I see they've added the Balearics to the green list. Cue Fleur having a "social media break" for "family time" in 3,2,1...

Reactions: 13
What is the point of having a mural painted INSIDE a closed cupboard?! Seems so pointless to me!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I actually think it’s quite nice. I know what you mean that it’s nicer to be seen. But people change their room decor every few years, this way they’ll always keep this, no matter what is chose for the rest of the room.

Reactions: 17
I actually think it’s quite nice. I know what you mean that it’s nicer to be seen. But people change their room decor every few years, this way they’ll always keep this, no matter what is chose for the rest of the room.
Agree, I think it's beautiful. But why is she storing books under the sink like that?! And in a kids room too?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.