Escape into the Tea & Sympathy chat room #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ive been googling. Look at number 1 and 2

If he nominates your husband or you and you accept, then you can be treated as next of kin by the hospital when it comes to informing you of his situation.

I have assumed you are in the UK.

Reactions: 3
Ive been googling. Look at number 1 and 2

If he nominates your husband or you and you accept, then you can be treated as next of kin by the hospital when it comes to informing you of his situation.

I have assumed you are in the UK.
Yes we are in the UK.
I don't think our friend is in any condition to give any sort of permission. I am hoping that he might improve, outside of a hospital environment.
Thank you for searching for that information.

Reactions: 4
@Rockin' Robin - I asked a friend who used to be a solicitor and she says when there is no living next of kin, the patient has to nominate a person to act in that capacity.

If the patient has not nominated you or your husband, then the hospital staff must use their discretion whether to inform you of any details regarding him.
So they don't HAVE to but they can do if they want to. But it is at their discretion.

My friend asked if your friend might already have a nominated person on their medical notes.
If so, the hospital staff have to treat that person as next of kin or point of contact instead of you guys.

So it all depends on him being able to nominate you really.

@Rockin' Robin - I asked a friend who used to be a solicitor and she says when there is no living next of kin, the patient has to nominate a person to act in that capacity.

If the patient has not nominated you or your husband, then the hospital staff must use their discretion whether to inform you of any details regarding him.
So they don't HAVE to but they can do if they want to. But it is at their discretion.

My friend asked if your friend might already have a nominated person on their medical notes.
If so, the hospital staff have to treat that person as next of kin or point of contact instead of you guys.

So it all depends on him being able to nominate you really.
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your post, I've been trying to distract myself with other pursuits - including Tattle.
We have been in touch with our friend over the weekend, but communication was very difficult. He seems to be losing the abilty to have a conversation. He really is in no condition to give any permission.
I think both my Partner's and my name, are on his medical records as a point of contact. But like you say, it is at the discretion of the medical staff, as to how much information they give. The problem is, that he was moved to another ward a week or so ago, and the information about who to contact, was not passed on. It is extremely frustrating. My Partner phoned the ward today, and was told that they will be moving our friend to a care home, as soon as a place can be found. I hope we will be allowed to see him, I'm sure we will.
Thank you so much for your help.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I know it doesnt help but it just shows how important it is to have our NHS notes include a nominated person for times like.

Not everyone can afford to have a power of attorney document drawn up by solicitors.

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your post, I've been trying to distract myself with other pursuits - including Tattle.
We have been in touch with our friend over the weekend, but communication was very difficult. He seems to be losing the abilty to have a conversation. He really is in no condition to give any permission.
I think both my Partner's and my name, are on his medical records as a point of contact. But like you say, it is at the discretion of the medical staff, as to how much information they give. The problem is, that he was moved to another ward a week or so ago, and the information about who to contact, was not passed on. It is extremely frustrating. My Partner phoned the ward today, and was told that they will be moving our friend to a care home, as soon as a place can be found. I hope we will be allowed to see him, I'm sure we will.
Thank you so much for your help.
I am really hoping you get to see him in the care home. Such a sad situation for you all.

Slightly better news from the hospital over the last 24 hours. My partner and I, have managed two seperate long conversations with our friend. He even managed to write down my telephone number (he had forgotten that it is stored on his phone). It took him a long time to do this, he was having difficulty in concentrating. But the main thing is he did it.
He says he wants to come home, but that is looking unlikely at the moment, he is unable to look after himself. We managed to tell him we are still here for him, and that is the most important thing.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I know it doesnt help but it just shows how important it is to have our NHS notes include a nominated person for times like.

Not everyone can afford to have a power of attorney document drawn up by solicitors.
How very prophetic your post has turned out to be.
My partner telephoned me this afternoon, to let me know that our friend is being transfered to another hospital which is about 10 miles from where we live. The reason/excuse being is that there has been an out break of Covid in the ward where he was. He will be put into isolation in a room by himself.
This distressed me considerably.
Restrictions to relatives visiting care homes are being lifted next week, I wonder if they will be lifted for hospital visitors?

• Sad
I should imagine it will be at each Hospital's discretion (that word again.)

Hopefully your friend's notes now have you named as contacts so when he is moved you will be able to stay informed and hopefully visit.

You never know, the staff where he is going may be more open with you.

Rant time!
Bloody computers!
I like to have a spare laptop just in case.

Spare laptop has developed blue screen of death and a new hard drive for it is £125 and its rather old and won't be upgradeable to later Operating systems.

So I think it prudent to put that 125 quid towards a new one and then relegate the other to spare laptop status.

Windows are bringing in Windows11. So it makes sense to buy one with 11 already installed.
They don't have CD/DVD trays any more.
I have an external one and also an external HD drive as back up but they have USB 2 or 3 connectors.
All the new windows laptops have USB C connectors and sometimes only one.
So i'll have to buy adapters.

Word no longer comes pre installed.
So you have to either pay for microsoft 365 monthly/yearly or buy Office Home/Student 2021 for over a hundred quid one-off lifetime.
I already bought Office Home/Student a few years ago and that was supposed to be a one-off lifetime purchase as well.
But it isnt compatible with windows 11.

I always avoided getting an Apple laptop because it had different connectors and wasnt compatible with my existing purchased software.
Looks like Windows 11 isnt compatible either.

Now its looking like Apple is no longer more expensive. It has its own word processor pre installed and any documents I create can be converted to Word or PDF - and I won't have to pay extra because its already there.

My head is spinning.
Apple (never used that operating system so no idea how to use it)
or
Windows 11? Have used Windows for years so am familiar with it.

Then
do I need
Intel or Ryzen processer?
Intel i3 or i5 or i7 etc?

And then generation 10 or 11 or what???
Theres so many different things and I have no idea what's best!!!

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh!

That is all.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
Rant time!
Bloody computers!
I like to have a spare laptop just in case.

Spare laptop has developed blue screen of death and a new hard drive for it is £125 and its rather old and won't be upgradeable to later Operating systems.

So I think it prudent to put that 125 quid towards a new one and then relegate the other to spare laptop status.

Windows are bringing in Windows11. So it makes sense to buy one with 11 already installed.
They don't have CD/DVD trays any more.
I have an external one and also an external HD drive as back up but they have USB 2 or 3 connectors.
All the new windows laptops have USB C connectors and sometimes only one.
So i'll have to buy adapters.

Word no longer comes pre installed.
So you have to either pay for microsoft 365 monthly/yearly or buy Office Home/Student 2021 for over a hundred quid one-off lifetime.
I already bought Office Home/Student a few years ago and that was supposed to be a one-off lifetime purchase as well.
But it isnt compatible with windows 11.

I always avoided getting an Apple laptop because it had different connectors and wasnt compatible with my existing purchased software.
Looks like Windows 11 isnt compatible either.

Now its looking like Apple is no longer more expensive. It has its own word processor pre installed and any documents I create can be converted to Word or PDF - and I won't have to pay extra because its already there.

My head is spinning.
Apple (never used that operating system so no idea how to use it)
or
Windows 11? Have used Windows for years so am familiar with it.

Then
do I need
Intel or Ryzen processer?
Intel i3 or i5 or i7 etc?

And then generation 10 or 11 or what???
Theres so many different things and I have no idea what's best!!!

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh!

That is all.
You have my sympathy.
I'm dreading the day I'm in a similar position. Already various applications are coming in as 'unsupported'. This kind of stuff makes my brain fry.
I never went down the Apple route....think I'm too old to learn new pooter stuff!

• Sad
Is it that computers are actually complicated, or is it that only certain brains can understand them? I'm in the not knowing anything about them and their weird operating systems camp. I feel your pain Chita.

Let me know how you are doing @Geranium 🥰
I’m doing ok, thank you. Keeping busy and getting lots of fresh air, time with the rescue horses and my dog and cat.
January and February are such hard months for me, like lots of people in the northern hemisphere.
Just taking one day at a time ❤❤

• Heart
I’m doing ok, thank you. Keeping busy and getting lots of fresh air, time with the rescue horses and my dog and cat.
January and February are such hard months for me, like lots of people in the northern hemisphere.
Just taking one day at a time ❤❤
That's great to hear. It is hard at the time of year with such low light levels but pleased you are getting outside. I need to do more of that too. 💞

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.