Escape into the Tea & Sympathy chat room #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Morning tattlers - big squishes to you all 🤗 🤗

Just wanted to offload something. I'm still looking after Mum during the day and my Brother and my Son look after her at night (10 months after Dad died) and she just can't appreciate how fortunate she is being looked after 24 hours a day. I know she suffers from severe depression but she spends a lot of her time just wallowing in that black hole. Nearly everyone around me (myself included) suffers from mental health conditions but we all try to pick ourselves up in some way - just to keep ourselves going but she seems incapable and relies on other people for her own happiness and entertainment. Whilst that's quite frustrating (she's on every medication available and has a mental health team around her who no longer seem to have any idea what to do with her), It's her total lack of compassion and ability to take accountability for anything that is really pushing my buttons.
Whilst we've been caring for my Mum, my Brother and I don't feel we've had a moment to even start grieving for our Dad yet.

I keep dreaming about my Dad and in the dreams he is always talking but not really giving any great advice - he doesn't really interact with me in the dreams. When I try to see if he is alive or just a ghost, I go to hug him and I can feel him but he never hugs me back - it feels like rejection and I feel so upset.
This dream happens quite a few times a week.

I don't really need any advice, just wanted to get it off my chest and write it down somewhere as I just keep bottling it up. I am so lucky that Mr Spangly is going above and beyond in this situation and he does so much for my Mum which does ease the physical burden but psychologically, it is really taking it's toll!
They say our dearly departed do visit us in dream state.
Maybe your Dad is just visiting to let you know he is around. He probably can't advise you but just wants you to know he's there urging you to carry on.
And maybe you are blocking the hug because you say you haven't properly grieved yet.
The feeling of him rejectiing you is actually your own subconscious making you feel like a naughty girl because you havent grieved.
Your dad isnt actually rejecting you.

So, ease up on yourself. You can't force the grief process. It is different for everyone. Different in time scale of occurence, different in length of time it takes to come through and different in how you grieve.
Also maybe you have a set idea of how you think you should have grieved for your Dad.
Tell yourself there are no set rules and you do what you need to do to survive.

Stop beating yourself up because you havent grieved how you think you should have grieved.

Let yourself off the hook.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
My grandfather’s health has been slowly declining. I spoke to him this week and for the first time ever, he didn’t sound like he was upset about getting older. It’s made it much easier to handle his declining health. Something happened today though which forced me to imagine a world without him in it and it’s made me really teary. I thought I already came to terms with the fact that he won’t be around much longer. The truth is he’s going to leave an enormous hole when he’s gone.
It doesn't matter how prepared you think you are, it will still hit you hard.

However, if you are expecting someone's passing (health reasons, advanced age etc) you have an opportunity to speak with them and tell them you love them.
Those are precious moments that will comfort you when the time comes.

For those who lose someone suddenly and without warning, that opportunity is not given - so treasure this time with him.

But no matter what - expected, unexpected, it will hurt.

All you can do is stay strong and keep going.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I watched the 'Pride of Britain' awards tonight - it was a humbling experience; there are many of you out there who deserve, and possibly need, support.
And I care for every one you Lx

Life is a journey, not always pretty along the way, but you have your story to tell - and that story is important; I wouldn't swap out my life experiences, even the bad ones.
Lifelong learning curve - please believe in yourself x

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
They say our dearly departed do visit us in dream state.
Maybe your Dad is just visiting to let you know he is around. He probably can't advise you but just wants you to know he's there urging you to carry on.
And maybe you are blocking the hug because you say you haven't properly grieved yet.
The feeling of him rejectiing you is actually your own subconscious making you feel like a naughty girl because you havent grieved.
Your dad isnt actually rejecting you.

So, ease up on yourself. You can't force the grief process. It is different for everyone. Different in time scale of occurence, different in length of time it takes to come through and different in how you grieve.
Also maybe you have a set idea of how you think you should have grieved for your Dad.
Tell yourself there are no set rules and you do what you need to do to survive.

Stop beating yourself up because you havent grieved how you think you should have grieved.

Let yourself off the hook.
Before I start you have to know that I've laid most of my demons to rest.
My Dad died when I was nine-years old (I'm not looking for any sympathy btw); Dad was a type 1 diabetic, he suffered kidney failure and died during a transplant when he was 32-years old.
No counselling was available in those days, kind of remember being taken to a doctor who said that I would get over it - the thing was that in my tiny little child's head I thought that I was to blame; if I hadn't done my homework for instance.
My Dad is gone - but lives in me his only child and his four grandchildren and great grandson

My Dad is here with me now, because he's part of me x

Please believe in yourself, however bad it gets and know that many of us do damn well care x

Last edited:
  • Heart
Anyway, let's talk about things that make us happy - the love you have for your pet for instance; random things like the smell of freshly mown grass, the sound of rain falling on the leaves of the trees above you.
All quite cathartic and something not to be dismissed.
Lxx

Had to 'rescue' our old 14-years old cat from the 3rd floor of our Victorian house last night - she went up there, and then forgot where she was!

Cat aside, you can have horrible experiences in life and nothing can take that away - but you need to know that you're worthwhile and loved, please believe in yourself x

Last edited:
  • Heart
Anyway, let's talk about things that make us happy - the love you have for your pet for instance; random things like the smell of freshly mown grass, the sound of rain falling on the leaves of the trees above you.
All quite cathartic and something not to be dismissed.
Lxx

Had to 'rescue' our old 14-years old cat from the 3rd floor of our Victorian house last night - she went up there, and then forgot where she was!

Cat aside, you can have horrible experiences in life and nothing can take that away - but you need to know that you're worthwhile and loved, please believe in yourself x
I’ve been feeling a bit down so forced myself out of the house and into the local park every morning for a short walk. It’s really perked me up, such a good start to the day. The park is full of toddlers and dogs and they both behave exactly the same. It was really windy yesterday and it was snowing leaves, it looked magical. I’m planning to go for another walk this afternoon and listen to the Archers omnibus. I’ve been dwelling on all my problems and feeling miserable but this simple change to my day has really made a difference. If any one has any other suggestions I could try, they have to be cheap or free lol as money is tight at the moment.

• Heart
I’ve been feeling a bit down so forced myself out of the house and into the local park every morning for a short walk. It’s really perked me up, such a good start to the day. The park is full of toddlers and dogs and they both behave exactly the same. It was really windy yesterday and it was snowing leaves, it looked magical. I’m planning to go for another walk this afternoon and listen to the Archers omnibus. I’ve been dwelling on all my problems and feeling miserable but this simple change to my day has really made a difference. If any one has any other suggestions I could try, they have to be cheap or free lol as money is tight at the moment.
I lose myself into books.
I read online yesterday that local libraries have seen a reduction in use.
So if you have a local library, why not join and get into the habit of going there to browse and choose a few then read at your leisure and return them?

I find libraries very calming.
Some larger ones have a coffee shop where you can people-watch for a bit, too.
The books you choose don't have to be heavy going. There are all kinds of books.
I really enjoy reading biographies.
And if the library doesnt have a particular book you would like to read, you can ask them to order it for you.

And, of course you can just go in there and browse through stuff if you want to pass the time.

• Heart
I lose myself into books.
I read online yesterday that local libraries have seen a reduction in use.
So if you have a local library, why not join and get into the habit of going there to browse and choose a few then read at your leisure and return them?

I find libraries very calming.
Some larger ones have a coffee shop where you can people-watch for a bit, too.
The books you choose don't have to be heavy going. There are all kinds of books.
I really enjoy reading biographies.
And if the library doesnt have a particular book you would like to read, you can ask them to order it for you.

And, of course you can just go in there and browse through stuff if you want to pass the time.
I joined the library a few years ago but mostly use the borrowbox app that is free for members. To be honest this and radio 4 extra have kept me going for the last few years. I love listening to audio books when out for walks or doing boring home stuff. The PressReader app is also free with library membership, it has all the newspapers and magazines. I’ve been listening to the inspector morse books as I really enjoy the reader Samuel West. I was looking in charity shop windows yesterday thinking I’d love a few books, but I think getting into the library may be a better idea.

• Heart
I joined the library a few years ago but mostly use the borrowbox app that is free for members. To be honest this and radio 4 extra have kept me going for the last few years. I love listening to audio books when out for walks or doing boring home stuff. The PressReader app is also free with library membership, it has all the newspapers and magazines. I’ve been listening to the inspector morse books as I really enjoy the reader Samuel West. I was looking in charity shop windows yesterday thinking I’d love a few books, but I think getting into the library may be a better idea.

Yes, actually going in and feeling the calm atmosphere gets you out of being isolated at home but without actually having to mix with people if you don't want to.
It's the best of both worlds.

If you live somewhere that has a market place and traders with stalls, there might be a book stall.
So that's another option.

I read a lot of Stephen King novels in my younger days - I still read them now; forget about the shock/horror, they are stories of survival against the odds.
I wish all of you the best of everything xx

Reactions: 7
Here's a story for you; I haven't taken my vaccine yet - not due to any conspiracy theories, just cautious about a rushed solution. Many vaccines we welcome have been tested over several years

Btw, I'm covid-free - just done the test!

Life is for the living, not the dying; we're still alive to tell the tale of how we've become strong through adversity xxx

I've had plenty of that - just know that you're loved and I care x

Last edited:
  • Heart
These winter months are hard and I always found the library or the gym, with the bright lights, helped lift my mood. It's a change of scene too!
Of course we couldn't go during lockdown which made if even harder but hopefully thry will stay open.

Reactions: 5
Just being outside makes a difference to my mood, I've started going out in the garden to do some weeding if it's dry - even for 15 mins as you can see you've achieved something.

I'm also pondering whether to join my local Bluetit chilli swimmers group - a couple if friends have joined their local ones (different area to me) and have said its really helped their mental health.

Reactions: 6
Morning tattlers - big squishes to you all 🤗 🤗

Just wanted to offload something. I'm still looking after Mum during the day and my Brother and my Son look after her at night (10 months after Dad died) and she just can't appreciate how fortunate she is being looked after 24 hours a day. I know she suffers from severe depression but she spends a lot of her time just wallowing in that black hole. Nearly everyone around me (myself included) suffers from mental health conditions but we all try to pick ourselves up in some way - just to keep ourselves going but she seems incapable and relies on other people for her own happiness and entertainment. Whilst that's quite frustrating (she's on every medication available and has a mental health team around her who no longer seem to have any idea what to do with her), It's her total lack of compassion and ability to take accountability for anything that is really pushing my buttons.
Whilst we've been caring for my Mum, my Brother and I don't feel we've had a moment to even start grieving for our Dad yet.

I keep dreaming about my Dad and in the dreams he is always talking but not really giving any great advice - he doesn't really interact with me in the dreams. When I try to see if he is alive or just a ghost, I go to hug him and I can feel him but he never hugs me back - it feels like rejection and I feel so upset.
This dream happens quite a few times a week.

I don't really need any advice, just wanted to get it off my chest and write it down somewhere as I just keep bottling it up. I am so lucky that Mr Spangly is going above and beyond in this situation and he does so much for my Mum which does ease the physical burden but psychologically, it is really taking it's toll!
It’s so difficult isn’t it ? We want to be kind ,loving and dutiful but it can be at great cost to ourselves. I took my parents in when they were elderly, and really put my life on hold, when my mother was alive, it was fine, but once she died, my father just thought I should pander to his every wish, my mother had spoiled him his whole life. Eventually I didn’t want to get up in the morning. I felt resentful because Dad didn’t recognise that I was older and tired, fed up etc., This may sound like a platitude, but it comes from the heart, because my father died and I became free again. This situation you find yourself in won’t last forever, try to stay afloat as best you can. And when you are free, you will know that you did your very best, under very difficult circumstances, so you will never have to feel that terrible guilt that would haunt you if you had neglected your Mum. I have bad dreams too, a bit like yours, they are upsetting. My friend was in the same situation, and her story is the same. That doesn’t make it easier for you at all, but many of us will be able to understand . The trouble is, we are perhaps one of the first generations to go through this, because our parents probably never had to do it, because their parents died a lot younger.

I have quite a small circle of people I love and who I am close to.
There are several others on the outskirts of that whom I care about but I don't let them in real close.

One of the real close ones has had suicidal thoughts on a few occasions but I have managed to keep lifting him up but all the mental struggles and lack of sleep etc etc is showing on his face and behind his eyes so I know those dark thoughts haven't gone away.

A friend in the not-so-close category took his own life this year.
His widow has now started dating a new man.
I think its a bit soon - and wonder if maybe she was cheating before now and that might have contributed to the suicide.
I don't know and who am I to judge anyway - but now, this development has started my loved one thinking that people soon forget a person when they die and will recover from the loss with little effect and move on to new people.

So all the work I've done to keep him from the edge and to dispel his dark thoughts is now unravelling.

I'm struggling myself to keep positive after my work being decimated by all the lockdowns for all this time - so this is all I need.

I sometimes think it's better to be a hermit and keep away from real people and just live a solitary life and use places like Tattle for company.

Oh to feel happy every day and have the inner circle of loved ones feel the same.
So sorry to hear this Chita, but you are a creative so it shouldn’t surprise me. I am often surprised at how quickly people move on sometimes, but then it was pointed out to me, that the happier a person has been in a relationship, the quicker they move on because there is such a void left in their life. Whereas people who have been unhappy might be inwardly relieved at the loss of their partner, and be thrilled to be free. It is difficult trying to keep someone happy, if not nearly impossible. You can only do your best. I am a bit of a hermit too, I wonder how many of us are that way ? Take care, keep drawing ❤

I love dogs and children, they really take me out of myself. I now take a few dogs in, either overnight or even just for a few hours. Recently, a young girl has started to come to me for sewing lessons, she is a joy. I started doing little jobs like this to raise money for charity, babysitting, dog sitting, I called it “Rent a Gran “ and advertised on Facebook.

Here's a story for you; I haven't taken my vaccine yet - not due to any conspiracy theories, just cautious about a rushed solution. Many vaccines we welcome have been tested over several years

Btw, I'm covid-free - just done the test!
I love the conspiracy theories, and can believe most of the ones about the big pharmaceutical companies, though I did give in to vaccination. If it had been left to me, I would have taken my chances, but my daughter was worried.

My grandfather’s health has been slowly declining. I spoke to him this week and for the first time ever, he didn’t sound like he was upset about getting older. It’s made it much easier to handle his declining health. Something happened today though which forced me to imagine a world without him in it and it’s made me really teary. I thought I already came to terms with the fact that he won’t be around much longer. The truth is he’s going to leave an enormous hole when he’s gone.
Try to see that as a positive. How much more awful would it be if he died and there was no hole ? ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I’m still going for my park walks, it’s really helping me. Looking at how happy all the dogs are in the park I’m sure doggy heaven must be just one big park. It’s so nice to see the young children excited at the squirrels they spot or the puddles they jump in. I ventured into our local Oxfam and was surprised to see how reasonable all the books were, I will definitely go again and have a good look. I really need to find my library card and borrow some books, I live 2 mins away but haven’t been for years. The library was my second home when I was younger.

I’ve had a difficult few weeks, I suffer from anxiety with anything medical and unfortunately I have an injury so have had to see the doctor, go to hospital, have blood tests and my booster is in a few days. Its been tough but I’m feeling much better, hope you’re all ok

• Heart
Hi everyone. I've neglected you lately but life as thrown some curve balls at me and I was useless to anyone for a few months.
Anyone dreading the passing of a loved one try to stay strong and face it head on. Our recent loss was softened by the loved one helping make the plans. I thought it would be macabre but it wasn't. Some day I'll share.😘

• Heart
I’m still going for my park walks, it’s really helping me. Looking at how happy all the dogs are in the park I’m sure doggy heaven must be just one big park. It’s so nice to see the young children excited at the squirrels they spot or the puddles they jump in. I ventured into our local Oxfam and was surprised to see how reasonable all the books were, I will definitely go again and have a good look. I really need to find my library card and borrow some books, I live 2 mins away but haven’t been for years. The library was my second home when I was younger.

I’ve had a difficult few weeks, I suffer from anxiety with anything medical and unfortunately I have an injury so have had to see the doctor, go to hospital, have blood tests and my booster is in a few days. Its been tough but I’m feeling much better, hope you’re all ok
Well done for getting through the medical stuff. Hope you will soon be on the road to recovery 😗

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Morning everyone, just popping in to tell you all I bought some wellies for my park walks! Hope you are all well xxx

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.