Equestrian Influencers #21 Can you all vlogmas off now please?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Listening belatedly to Buck Off Banter’s Xmas podcast and what bleeping witches.
I wouldn't listen to it out of principle but I've come across that Karla person before and thought she was nothing short of absolutely vile.

They want to be careful. The last time someone (The Times, no less) published something unflattering about CB, her appearance, and her sexuality, she took it to the Press Complaints Commission and won.

Reactions: 5
All this dog talk has me wondering if there’s a similar thread to ours on here but for dog trainers? There’s so many out there and honestly it’s hard to keep up and I love the beef between positive trainers and balanced etc. My pup is 18 months old and he’s the first dog I’ve had since having access to all this training and opinions and boy is it hard to know who to listen to.
Treat the dog as you would a horse.
Clear and fair boundaries, stay consistent, don't allow behaviour to creep in.

Familiarise yourself with the breeding as to whether to gone in on traits that will be prominent, i.e spaniels to hunt cover and retrieve, collies to herd, retrievers to swim and retrieve... Tap in to those instincts with your training and you'll have a happy dog mentally and physically.

I start puppy's with Puppy Culture, (Google it they have the powerful first 12 weeks but also follow up courses for older dogs) but use a balanced approach, I don't find entirely positive training is fair on my dogs as they are very very driven and positive training does rely on them choosing the right decision when given opportunities to succeed.
In circumstances I put them in, they can't always override an instinct over making the right choice, and need correction or taking out of the situation (Like me and chocolate)

Reactions: 1
I quite liked Meg’s masterclass. Nice to see the ‘whole’ thing
Yes, it was a good watch and she rode well, must have been quite overwhelming.
One thing, though - I thought the official H&C camerawork was pretty bad - especially with the initial warm-up fences, they kept the camera on the rider's face instead of the whole horse so you never actually got to see the horse jump. Was starting to really annoy me 😂
Looking forward to the behind-the-scenes vlog too.

Reactions: 9
Yes, it was a good watch and she rode well, must have been quite overwhelming.
One thing, though - I thought the official H&C camerawork was pretty bad - especially with the initial warm-up fences, they kept the camera on the rider's face instead of the whole horse so you never actually got to see the horse jump. Was starting to really annoy me 😂
Looking forward to the behind-the-scenes vlog too.
I turned it off after 15 minutes and half of that was her waffling. I’ve unsubbed from her now because I don’t understand what she’s doing, her riding gets worse, if she’s so scared of jumping then stop and focus on dressage for a season. There are times she’s sat so far back and leaning back that her thigh looks horizontal, she doesn’t use her knee as a pivot point at all. Everything about her on Jam is defensive, hence sitting at the back and her lower leg stuck forward, she rides in a very old fashioned hunting seat which I assume is defensive because she’s scared. So many lessons, so many amazing instructors and it’s still the same. He told her to get off Jams back and then to sit to bring her back, Meg immediately pulls faces and starts to complain about Jam taking off. What’s the point in lessons where you don’t want to listen or try and think you know better?
---
I wouldn't listen to it out of principle but I've come across that Karla person before and thought she was nothing short of absolutely vile.

They want to be careful. The last time someone (The Times, no less) published something unflattering about CB, her appearance, and her sexuality, she took it to the Press Complaints Commission and won.
Another try hard that I unfollowed a while ago, more interested in being quirky and different. Lost respect with her last year when she got called out over the state of her horses beds, which fair play to her she owned and agreed was wrong, but there was no excuse for it. She rides very like Ashley does, often jumping really behind the movement and it’s awkward to watch.

Im surprised about the CB thing, Karla is very into individuality and wearing what you want and living how you feel.

Reactions: 3
I turned it off after 15 minutes and half of that was her waffling. I’ve unsubbed from her now because I don’t understand what she’s doing, her riding gets worse, if she’s so scared of jumping then stop and focus on dressage for a season. There are times she’s sat so far back and leaning back that her thigh looks horizontal, she doesn’t use her knee as a pivot point at all. Everything about her on Jam is defensive, hence sitting at the back and her lower leg stuck forward, she rides in a very old fashioned hunting seat which I assume is defensive because she’s scared. So many lessons, so many amazing instructors and it’s still the same. He told her to get off Jams back and then to sit to bring her back, Meg immediately pulls faces and starts to complain about Jam taking off. What’s the point in lessons where you don’t want to listen or try and think you know better?
---

Another try hard that I unfollowed a while ago, more interested in being quirky and different. Lost respect with her last year when she got called out over the state of her horses beds, which fair play to her she owned and agreed was wrong, but there was no excuse for it. She rides very like Ashley does, often jumping really behind the movement and it’s awkward to watch.

Im surprised about the CB thing, Karla is very into individuality and wearing what you want and living how you feel.
The more I’ve watched Megs vlogmas this year with other riders riding her horses, it really stands out with how tit scared she is of jumping, I honestly don’t understand why she’s still producing green horses if she is genuinely so frightened, it can’t be good for neither of them as a team. You can see this taking effect in Wilma, and then with Winnie’s sassy nature and bucking. Piggy rode Jam with no issues and didn’t find her strong at all. Meg’s riding isn’t pretty to watch being in such a defensive seat all the time, you can see the fear in her face all the time.

Reactions: 3
The format was fine. But Chef dequipe/high performance lead roles though need to appear impartial especially in an Olympic cycle. He was fawning over Laura - and there have been references made on the equiratings podcast that Dickie is Laura/London number one fan. It'd be fascinating to understand if he is similar in training sessions with others from the shortlist. If he is, then that's his style.
It'd definitely be interesting to see the dynamic between him and other team members. However, if I coached Laura I'd be pretty damn proud too!

Reactions: 2
The format was fine. But Chef dequipe/high performance lead roles though need to appear impartial especially in an Olympic cycle. He was fawning over Laura - and there have been references made on the equiratings podcast that Dickie is Laura/London number one fan. It'd be fascinating to understand if he is similar in training sessions with others from the shortlist. If he is, then that's his style.
Hmm wonder if there is something going on between them behind the scenes?! I haven’t watched it yet but I’ll know if I get that feeling when I watch it.

Based upon a couple of off the cuff remarks made by diarm on equiratings: I think it's well known that waygood is a huge London 52 fan.
Hard to see him fawn half as hard over ollie townend in a similar setting! Altho it'd be entertaining watch....

From my very short exposure to her I got the impression that she's into her own individuality and into wearing what she wants and living how she feels. Other people, not so much.

it really stands out with how tit scared she is of jumping, I honestly don’t understand why she’s still producing green horses if she is genuinely so frightened,
I don't actually think she is all that scared of jumping. I think she noticed that it made good viewing and plays on it. She can't do what she does and be genuinely frightened.

Reactions: 6
From my very short exposure to her I got the impression that she's into her own individuality and into wearing what she wants and living how she feels. Other people, not so much.

I don't actually think she is all that scared of jumping. I think she noticed that it made good viewing and plays on it. She can't do what she does and be genuinely frightened.
You’re spot on here. I don’t think she’s scared. I do think there is immense pressure on her to get it right, but I don’t think she’s scared in the slightest.

Reactions: 5

I hope so, because if she is as scared as she keeps making out to be then she has no right schooling young horses, especially over jumps.

Reactions: 2
I think it's probably a bit of both. I think there are still nerves after her fall and confidence crash but I also wonder if she's playing it up a bit because she thinks it's more relatable?

Hmm wonder if there is something going on between them behind the scenes?! I haven’t watched it yet but I’ll know if I get that feeling when I watch it.
I mean if you were coaching a demo between an amateur rider and an Olympic rider, you know which one is going to stand out to the coach, it’s going to be so obvious. I thought they were both equally treated, and did think as much as Meg was scared shitless, he taught her well and she done quite well.
---
I think it's probably a bit of both. I think there are still nerves after her fall and confidence crash but I also wonder if she's playing it up a bit because she thinks it's more relatable?
How long is the “Bicton fall” going to haunt her? (If that’s what is it) Her whole mental way of dealing with it on SM is highly boring and we hear the same thing on every vlog when she jumps. If she’s that scared of riding she really shouldn’t be doing it.

I mean if you were coaching a demo between an amateur rider and an Olympic rider, you know which one is going to stand out to the coach, it’s going to be so obvious. I thought they were both equally treated, and did think as much as Meg was scared shitless, he taught her well and she done quite well.
---

How long is the “Bicton fall” going to haunt her? (If that’s what is it) Her whole mental way of dealing with it on SM is highly boring and we hear the same thing on every vlog when she jumps. If she’s that scared of riding she really shouldn’t be doing it.
I don't think that's fair. I had a rotational fall on my mare over a tiny vertical as a 5yo. It was max 90cm, she just took her eyes off the fence to look at a horse gallop up the field and we both fell. Still, nearly 9 years later, I'm nervous when I come to a vertical (but no issues with oxers). Trauma is trauma and how dare anyone dictate how long that should last.

Reactions: 14
I don't think that's fair. I had a rotational fall on my mare over a tiny vertical as a 5yo. It was max 90cm, she just took her eyes off the fence to look at a horse gallop up the field and we both fell. Still, nearly 9 years later, I'm nervous when I come to a vertical (but no issues with oxers). Trauma is trauma and how dare anyone dictate how long that should last.
Thank you. As someone who has (and sometimes still does) dealt with non-horse related trauma, it's a very dismissive attitude. I can be totally fine for ages and then something suddenly will just make me go "Nope" and I have a mild panic. I'm a LOT better than I was but even after almost 20 years it still catches me out. And I wasn't even injured a tiny bit.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.