Emma’s Rectangle #2 No upload tonight, nothings wrong, been stewing apples all day long

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
TW - weight loss/ calories

As much as i find her insta stories hard to watch I just saw she’s taking over her coaches insta stories and I clicked on their account and had a look and I found it sooo damaging. They have images of girls with their daily calorie intake and some of them were 1200-1500 cals a day. I don’t know anything about nutrition so correct me if I’m wrong but that seems so drastic?

I just don’t see how it’s healthy to display that on an account with 13k+ followers...

Sorry if I’m way off there haha

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I used to enjoy Emma’s weekly vlogs but I haven’t watched anything she’s put out in probably over a month now. I just have no interest in her anymore. I think I’ll unfollow and just keep an eye on this thread in case she improves and gets fun again.
This is me. I refuse to watch her food videos (I don't get triggered, I just don't care 😫) And I haven't been able to stomach the vlogs as she's gotten so repetitive, boring, and up her own ass. No-one who mentions measurements and scales that much is someone who "doesn't care". I didn't sign up for the saga of Emma's waist so I really need to bounce from her content.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

As much as i find her insta stories hard to watch I just saw she’s taking over her coaches insta stories and I clicked on their account and had a look and I found it sooo damaging. They have images of girls with their daily calorie intake and some of them were 1200-1500 cals a day. I don’t know anything about nutrition so correct me if I’m wrong but that seems so drastic?

I just don’t see how it’s healthy to display that on an account with 13k+ followers...

tbf they’ve said before a lot of people come to them on low calories and they have to push their calories up. So quite often the first picture is what then they first join them, on low calories. Then the second picture is normally when they’re a few weeks into their plan with glj and calories have increased. If that makes sense... not sure if it’s the same case as what you saw though

Reactions: 5
TW/ disordered eating, EDs, body image, weight loss

Not gonna lie, as someone who has had an ED for a fair amount of time, her discussions explaining it all to her followers remind me exactly of what I find myself doing sometimes - needing to control the situation by talking endlessly to someone about it so that I can try and straighten out the tangles my mind gets itself into worrying about each little aspect of food, exercise, scale loss vs measurements vs photos etc. Just does not seem what a healthy person would do to me
And also her comments like "some people haven't even done any exercise during lockdown' shortly followed by 'WHICH IS FINE TOO' but she's literally using it as a way to make herself feel better so she clearly does think what she's doing is better/what we all should be doing, ya know?

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Does that online coach work exclusively with thin white women? I've no idea what Emma's takeover of the account is/ is going to be because there are no captions. Luckily I've a very limited interest in what other people eat and how they exercise.

Reactions: 4
I watched the stories on her coaches page just out of interest....currently she is doing 4 strength sessions a week, 3/4 spin classes a week, 10,000 steps a day and eating 1850 calories a day...pretty sure I would die doing that, either of starvation or exhaustion 😐😐😐 I feel tired just hearing about how much she does! I know nothing about exercise aside from the fact I should do more but I hate it, so I don’t know if the above is acceptable or not but it seems a lot! No wonder she has no bloody time to do her actual job!!!

Reactions: 10
I watched the stories on her coaches page just out of interest....currently she is doing 4 strength sessions a week, 3/4 spin classes a week, 10,000 steps a day and eating 1850 calories a day...pretty sure I would die doing that, either of starvation or exhaustion 😐😐😐 I feel tired just hearing about how much she does! I know nothing about exercise aside from the fact I should do more but I hate it, so I don’t know if the above is acceptable or not but it seems a lot! No wonder she has no bloody time to do her actual job!!!
Wow, my thoughts exactly, no time or energy for anything else! No wonder why she's talking about workouts all the time, that's her everyday in nutshell.
Her body needs rest, no wonder why she feels like tit all the time. And that is not enough calories for that amount of workout, imo.

Reactions: 6
Wow, my thoughts exactly, no time or energy for anything else! No wonder why she's talking about workouts all the time, that's her everyday in nutshell.
Her body needs rest, no wonder why she feels like tit all the time. And that is not enough calories for that amount of workout, imo.
I hate exercise, it’s not my thing at all and I really begrudge the fact that I know I need to do more because I do need to tone up and lose a few pounds, but there’s no way on this earth I could sustain what she is doing on those calories!!! Surely the amount she is working out vs the amount she is eating just isn’t enough? And no wonder she is so obsessed with working out, it’s basically all she is doing!! If I had to do that on top of my day to day job and usual life stuff, I would literally be too exhausted to even move in the free time I did have! Which wouldn’t be a lot by the sounds of it! I did one spin class once years back with a friend who thought it would be fun....hated it, couldn’t walk for over a week, and she is doing FOUR a week??? On top of everything else!! Def still got issues there in my opinion! Surely that’s not normal? :/

I hate exercise, it’s not my thing at all and I really begrudge the fact that I know I need to do more because I do need to tone up and lose a few pounds, but there’s no way on this earth I could sustain what she is doing on those calories!!! Surely the amount she is working out vs the amount she is eating just isn’t enough? And no wonder she is so obsessed with working out, it’s basically all she is doing!! If I had to do that on top of my day to day job and usual life stuff, I would literally be too exhausted to even move in the free time I did have! Which wouldn’t be a lot by the sounds of it! I did one spin class once years back with a friend who thought it would be fun....hated it, couldn’t walk for over a week, and she is doing FOUR a week??? On top of everything else!! Def still got issues there in my opinion! Surely that’s not normal? :/
I mean, that could well be normal and I’m just alxt to be fair but still, seems a lot!!

Reactions: 3
I genuinely hope she is okay as she is so obsessive and to add to @littlebtch it sounds like she feels the need to over explain every little thing, I had a friend who used to do this and she ended up in a really bad place, I think her talking to viewers is really a way of her talking to herself and reassuring her she's doing the right things and that she's a *health queen*

Reactions: 3
Giving up spinning was a bit of a lightbulb moment for me. I realised I was only working out to get smaller and spinning killed my bad back, but I did it twice a week, because it's a good calorie burner!

I actually hate spinning! And now that I work out to feel good mentally and improve my back, I know I can do movement that brings me joy instead of making me miserable and sore and I'm way happier. Can't wait till dance classes can start again.

The mentality of ‘must do all these workouts’ is obsessive and dangerous and also very triggering. That's 7-8 workouts a week plus walking 10,000 steps (4 or 5 miles!!) every day. I sometimes only manage to exercise twice a week and a couple of years ago, her content would have made me feel like tit for that.

Giving up spinning was a bit of a lightbulb moment for me. I think realised I was only working out to get smaller and spinning killed my bad back, but I did it twice a week, because it's a good calorie burner!

I actually hate spinning! And now that I work out to feel good mentally and improve my back, I know I can do movement that brings me joy instead of making me miserable and sore and I'm way happier. Can't wait till dance classes can start again.

The mentality of ‘must do all these workouts’ is obsessive and dangerous and also very triggering. That's 7-8 workouts a week plus walking 10,000 steps (4 or 5 miles!!) every day. I sometimes only manage to exercise twice a week and a couple of years ago, her content would have made me feel like tit for that.
Tell me about it!! I am aware I should and need to do more exercise but I had a hip replacement year ago and have a lot of resulting issues and ones that are still present despite the op so I do struggle with exercise and finding things I can do without being in pain so I know I don’t do as much as I should but I have recently started dog sitting for my parents new puppy, since Jan, while they re at work 2/3 days a week and on those days we do about 11k steps a day and it’s about 4.5 miles.....which isn’t tonnes by any means but it’s more than I was doing and a step in the right direction, so I have been feeling quite good about it, but then I see stuff like this and compared to what she’s doing every week! It makes me feel like an actual slug!!!

• Heart
Tell me about it!! I am aware I should and need to do more exercise but I had a hip replacement year ago and have a lot of resulting issues and ones that are still present despite the op so I do struggle with exercise and finding things I can do without being in pain so I know I don’t do as much as I should but I have recently started dog sitting for my parents new puppy, since Jan, while they re at work 2/3 days a week and on those days we do about 11k steps a day and it’s about 4.5 miles.....which isn’t tonnes by any means but it’s more than I was doing and a step in the right direction, so I have been feeling quite good about it, but then I see stuff like this and compared to what she’s doing every week! It makes me feel like an actual slug!!!
Walking is one of the best things you can do for physical and mental health and the fact you can do that much after a hip replacement is amazing! You definitely should feel good about it ❤

Reactions: 14
Walking is one of the best things you can do for physical and mental health and the fact you can do that much after a hip replacement is amazing! You definitely should feel good about it ❤
Awww thank you :) that’s really sweet of you to say! I know I’ve had a lot of issues after surgery and walking is one of the only things I can do, even though I struggle! Thanks for that 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Im massively into the gym and weight training myself but I've always thought what Emma actually does vs her goals is counter intuitive she's not going to build the muscle and strength she apparently is so focused on! Rest is so important and letting your body recover!

Reactions: 14
Im massively into the gym and weight training myself but I've always thought what Emma actually does vs her goals is counter intuitive she's not going to build the muscle and strength she apparently is so focused on! Rest is so important and letting your body recover!
exactly the same here!
Also, I know everyone will have different views on this but surely what she is doing is absolutely not sustainable. Personally I think that it should be, or at least 90% so, else it feels a little pointless as you’re going to have to let something go at some point. For someone who is susceptible to disordered thinking (as Emma has mentioned), this is a potentially dangerous position to be in as it can be very difficult to step things down in the future.

In all honesty, I sense her opening up down the line (whether it be in months/years’ time) about all of this, explaining how she fell into an unhealthy mindset. Watch this space🤔

This is me. I refuse to watch her food videos (I don't get triggered, I just don't care 😫) And I haven't been able to stomach the vlogs as she's gotten so repetitive, boring, and up her own ass. No-one who mentions measurements and scales that much is someone who "doesn't care". I didn't sign up for the saga of Emma's waist so I really need to bounce from her content.
I used to watch her back in the day when she HATED working out and back then she also said she doesn’t care about measurements and she is happy in her own body etc.. I really admired her approach because not everyone is happy with their body. But now she also keeps on talking about weight loss and measurements and claims that she doesn’t care... Well she does care and she cares a LOT. It’s not healthy to promote that way of thinking.

I am a nutritionist. I would NEVER recommend a diet for client of less than 1500 calories.

The safest way to lose weight is to drop 250 calories a day. This is slower but should still result in 0.5lb a week.
A reasonably active (regular walking but office job and maybe does light exercise a couple of times a week), average height female has a calorie requirement of 1600-1800 calories. You need 1200 calories to just run the basic functions of your body. A few hundred to take into account physical activity. More if you're more active or larger. slightly less if you're smaller and sedentary.

When I have a client who is larger, we might drop 500 calories a week, but that's on requirements of 2000 plus, people who have a lot to lose and need to lose quickly for their health.

When I have a client who is reasonably fit, we'll look at their aims. If they are working out a lot, we feed them to sustain that- and we INCREASE the calories. If the're working out a couple of times a week and are looking for more of a "toned" look, we'll cut 50-100 each week, checking regualrly that they're feeling ok. If their performance is suffering or they're getting sick a lot or lots of headaches, we'll put it up again. And then lower it more slowly.

If you work out your calorie requirements are super low (e.g. shorter or lighter than average) and you get a requirement on something like 1400 and you still want to lose weight, I'd encourage you to increase your activity. Not eat less.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I am a nutritionist. I would NEVER recommend a diet for client of less than 1500 calories.

The safest way to lose weight is to drop 250 calories a day. This is slower but should still result in 0.5lb a week.
A reasonably active (regular walking but office job and maybe does light exercise a couple of times a week), average height female has a calorie requirement of 1600-1800 calories. You need 1200 calories to just run the basic functions of your body. A few hundred to take into account physical activity. More if you're more active or larger. slightly less if you're smaller and sedentary.

When I have a client who is larger, we might drop 500 calories a week, but that's on requirements of 2000 plus, people who have a lot to lose and need to lose quickly for their health.

When I have a client who is reasonably fit, we'll look at their aims. If they are working out a lot, we feed them to sustain that- and we INCREASE the calories. If the're working out a couple of times a week and are looking for more of a "toned" look, we'll cut 50-100 each week, checking regualrly that they're feeling ok. If their performance is suffering or they're getting sick a lot or lots of headaches, we'll put it up again. And then lower it more slowly.

If you work out your calorie requirements are super low (e.g. shorter or lighter than average) and you get a requirement on something like 1400 and you still want to lose weight, I'd encourage you to increase your activity. Not eat less.
Wow! Thanks for writing all this! Actually really helpful! I struggle to lose weight, I don’t put it on particularly quickly which is great but when it comes to losing a few pounds I struggle! I have a sedentary job and significant restrictions in terms of what exercises I can do because of a hip replacement which hasn’t gone massively well! So I struggle to lose weight because I feel I can’t burn more than I eat and I feel I’d basically have to eat nothing to lose anything significant! What you ve written is actually really helpful :) so thanks!

Reactions: 1

❤❤ thank you for this!

TW: calories.....

My mum has always lived by ‘you can lose weight without exercising’. Hence she always lost weight by eating 1000 calories a day (sometimes less)! I did 1000-1200 in my early 30s and it made me so ill and just fuckin miserable. I am trying to lose weight now in my 40s but won't go back to those old ways again. I'd rather lose it slowly and it be sustainable.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.